Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

i have 6 x 10 second uphill sprints in my plan for tomorrow. Any tips? How steep should the hill be? Anything I should be focussing on during the sprint? Walk back recovery?

KC - I would have said as steep as possible but Magness says start with "moderate" http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009/05/sprint-training-part-2.html

Full recovery is important.

I also find it helps to have a 10m run-in to the hill so you have time to get your form right before going uphill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

dna_leri wrote: »
    KC - I would have said as steep as possible but Magness says start with "moderate" http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009/05/sprint-training-part-2.html

Full recovery is important.

I also find it helps to have a 10m run-in to the hill so you have time to get your form right before going uphill.

Good advice. After the jog, for the first session it might be a good idea warm up the muscles with a few gentle accelerations, again with practicing form in mind, maybe concentrating on a different aspect with each one. Gentle and short enough to take nothing out of you.

You'll be using the range of motion that you'll use in the sprints and not a bad idea to clear those cobwebs before that first sprint.

Tuesday: PM 12.5 E inc 3 x 4-5 buildups
    Wednesday: Lunch 5k jog inc a little core
    PM 19k inc 15.5 @ 3:52 pace (6:14)

Garmin left at work I was happy to do tonight's effort run by feel. I wanted to go by feel, to get into that comfortable, controlled but fast pace. I knew it would be above my HR 170 as this feels very steady now.
    After 10 mins easy I started into it out the coast towards Sutton on the cycle track. First half with a slight tail wind I was pushing it a bit too much, a few strides past comfortable. pace 3:49
    On a coldish extremely damp evening I stretched my tight calves and quads quickly for a minute before turning back into the saturation. I just stopped for a minute and was worried that the return would be a slog. Was surprised when the legs kicked in without prompt to a good turnover, kept it controlled and managed a comfortable 3:56 back although it became a little uncomfortable for the last 2k, although I could have continued for a few more if I had to. eturn journey was far more relaxed and comfortable than the outward one and probably faster given the wind. Show the benefit of relaxed running. The few strides this week helped with form, but i'm still inflixible and stiff with a lot of movement in hips and upper body that will disappear I hope.
    The effort on the way back felt right, and im going to replicate it again with monitor but only checking it at runs end. I need to start doing runs in the medium paces between my fastest and slowest runs to maximise development.
    Nice to be getting a slightly faster pace again for my efforts.

Thursday: 23.5k easy-steady 4:43 pace

Have been managing this pace as quite easy now for my one hour runs. Today was slighlier steadier, with a faster cadence than usual due to last nights faster run. Looked at a 2 week marathon training log online of a 2:15 guy.

When you see the training some people do you realise that there is always room for great improvement in endurance running provided one is willing to do whats required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

T runner wrote: »
    Looked at a 2 week marathon training log online of a 2:15 guy.

When you see the training some people do you realise that there is always room for great improvement in endurance running provided one is willing to do whats required.

Do you have a link? Interested to see what they do in terms of volume, recovery and quality sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do you have a link? Interested to see what they do in terms of volume, recovery and quality sessions.
    Steve Way's blog is fantastic. He's 'only' a 2:19 guy, but love that he posts all his Garmin links, so you can have a right proper nose around his training. Incredible training.

Sure. This is the one I was looking at. A 2 week block 5 and 4 weeks out from marathon.

2 quality and 1 long with longish easy recovery runs between.

He says it took him 3-5 years to reach that volume/intensity combo.

He says something about recovery in the comments section, saying that he focused too much on mileage at the expense of optimum recovery sometimes.
    Steve Way's blog is fantastic. He's 'only' a 2:19 guy, but love that he posts all his Garmin links, so you can have a right proper nose around his training. Incredible training.

Love that one too. Great that he has the full planned and actual completed schedules too. He tops out 140 per week as well mileage wise. At 30+ per secs a mile slower that would be 125+ mpw. I reckon that would take (in a different life!) about a few years to build towards injury free allright.

Edit: just noticed in the training i linked above that he said if he cold add one thing it might be the uphill sprints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

An extreme example but if you are looking for comprehensive logs;

http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/Rodgers/TrainingLogs/br75traininglog.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good to see the progress, T. Keep at it, all this work's gonna pay off...

If you want to have a gander at one of the lads I help, check out Jake Krong - 1:05 half and 2:20 full.

T, if you take a look at his training leading into CIM, only a very short build up, you'll notice some sessions that'll make you smile.

The early part of this year he's working on his 5k and half - I've given him some comprehensive sessions to do - he's gonna run 2:16 this year and qualify for the US Olympic Trials.

ecoli wrote: »
    An extreme example but if you are looking for comprehensive logs;

http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/Rodgers/TrainingLogs/br75traininglog.htm

Wow, that's fantastic running! Some time for Boston too.
    Stazza wrote: »
    Good to see the progress, T. Keep at it, all this work's gonna pay off...

If you want to have a gander at one of the lads I help, check out Jake Krong - 1:05 half and 2:20 full.

T, if you take a look at his training leading into CIM, only a very short build up, you'll notice some sessions that'll make you smile.

The early part of this year he's working on his 5k and half - I've given him some comprehensive sessions to do - he's gonna run 2:16 this year and qualify for the US Olympic Trials.

Super training there.

Thanks Stazza, if the inkling takes you, send any training ideas, advice or sessions my way.

My plan for Frankfurt is more or less:

Phase 1: Large aerobic conditioning phase now with 3 aims:
    1. to regain lost fitness due to 2 months non exercise. (not there yet)
    2. to push my aerobic development and training capacity to a higher level (which will allow me to train at a higher volume and volume of intensity for my Autumn marathon)
    3. To prepare myself physically to be able to gain maximally for middle distance training.
    Phase 2: Middle distance season, inc a few road races.
    Phase 3: Prep for Autumn marathon.

Have summarized your linked runners training which ill post after.

• Advertisement

Summarised from Stazzas link HERE

He uses 2 big sessions per week.
    At = Aerobic threshold = around PMP pace = 5:10-5:30 pace for 5:20 PMP pace
    LT pace = his lactate Threshold pace 4:55-5 min mile pace.

Sessions from Target marathon back

California marathon in 2:20

1.5 weeks out
    sub max 10k

2-3 weeks out
    19 miles inc 10 mile AT progression
    17 miles inc 2 x 10k AT tempo

3-4 weeks out:
    17 inc 1/2 marathon at PMP (70 mins)
    16 inc 12 miles AT intervals and hilly tempo

4-5 weeks:
    23 inc 16.3 miles @ AT (95-97% PMP)
    15 miles inc AT reps 3x 5k (1/4 mile jog)

5-6 weeks:
    HM 65:50
    Other sessions this week were smaller pre- half preps

6-7 weeks
    14 inc 5 mile AT tempo
    14 inc 2 x 5k LT tempo reps.

7-8 weeks
    20 ic 5k in 15.11 and 7 mile AT Tempo
    18 inc 8-9 miles hilly AT reps

8-9 weeks
    23 miles inc 10 mile AT tempo
    17 mile inc 10 x 1 mile LT reps

9 weeks +
    8 mile LT Tempo 5k LT tempo 6 mile AT tempo R pace session (post marathon cobweb buster)

11 weeks out
    Top of Utah marathon, (sub max effort) 2:23

Great training with sustaineble sessions leading into the race.

just put my own buildup for Rotterdam here too, if you've any observations?.

Rotterdam marathon in 2:35

1.5 weeks out
    8k progression AT-LT

2-3 weeks out
    20k inc 9 miles @ AT

3-4 weeks out:
    34k progression aborted after 27k; actual pace 4min/k-3:42min/k

4-5 weeks:
    35k long hilly steady run 4:15 pace 2:30 hrs
    Hilly 10k in 33:30

5-6 weeks:
    30k inc 20k @ 2:32 pace Windy and undulating course in Park

6-7 weeks
    HM in 74:20 Disaster with pacing. In low 73 shape on day.

7-8 weeks
    35k ave 3:55 inc 35k inc race pace running (15k@ 2:30 race pace or faster)
    25k (With a significant hill) (16m) @ 98-99% of eventual marathon race pace. Office door to home door.

My best sessions were 8-5 weeks out although I only managed 1 per week.
    In hindsight, I was in peak shape for my fast 35k run 7 weeks out.

I wasn't able to sustain the big sessions and after the HM, mileage was reduced and training became disjointed and steady.

Possible mistakes:

Hill races to boost LT meant preparation for big AT sessions on road was inadequate.
    No firm schedule and made mistakes.
    2:30 was not on. Sessions should have been based on 2:32.xx

Solutions i can see:
    Prepare with for Specific phase with LT, AT and a combimination of other training, all bar easy runs on good surfaces, in order to make 2:30 possible.
    Even so, Deciding that 2:32 was a target early and also running the HM @ PMP, would have allowed me to continue with 2 sustainable sessions a week (could only recover from 1 a week, from 8 weeks out).

Any thoughts appreciated.

T, great analysis and I have some thoughts/ideas about your Rotterdam build-up and how you're planning for your next marathon...

I linked Jake's blog in because his 'story' is a good one and should inspire some guys who might think 2:20 and faster isn't possible for them.

Later tonight, I'll give some background stuff on Jake and how he's now transitioning in training. If you like, I'll also have a word with him and ask if he minds if I post his training plan for Feb-Jun. I sent him some ideas in December, which he'll adopt for his next training block; the idea's to improve his LT as he's pretty much maxed out on his current LT. He's sending over the outline for me to examine /tweak/make suggestions. I'm sure he'll be cool about me posting it.

Once I get settled on here, I'll bang up some logs and plans for some of the guys I've helped and continue to help. Plus, I'll post some blogs and logs of guys who have improved quickly from 3:30ish -2:30 ish, using a very simple but effective system I've developed that combines Canova for beginners with Kellogg and Horwill....

T, great analysis and I have some thoughts/ideas about your Rotterdam build-up and how you're planning for your next marathon...

I linked Jake's blog in because his 'story' is a good one and should inspire some guys who might think 2:20 and faster isn't possible for them.

Later tonight, I'll give some background stuff on Jake and how he's now transitioning in training. If you like, I'll also have a word with him and ask if he minds if I post his training plan for Feb-Jun. I sent him some ideas in December, which he'll adopt for his next training block; the idea's to improve his LT as he's pretty much maxed out on his current LT. He's sending over the outline for me to examine /tweak/make suggestions. I'm sure he'll be cool about me posting it.

Once I get settled on here, I'll bang up some logs and plans for some of the guys I've helped and continue to help. Plus, I'll post some blogs and logs of guys who have improved quickly from 3:30ish -2:30 ish, using a very simple but effective system I've developed that combines Canova for beginners with Kellogg and Horwill....

Thanks Stazza. Its inspiring to see a plan work as well as that.
    Would be great if you asked Jake re seeing his training plan. Would be very interested in seeing it. Its good to see how quickly he was able to progress his AT runs. I think his sub max marathon (2:23 and 98% PMP) must have been a great base of specific endurance for him. He knew he could go the full distance close to PMP at that stage and could concentrate on extending his ability to run actually @ or faster than PMP (AT sessions, PMP runs), supported by some LT sessions and the HM race. These AT sessions were of enough volume to also maintain his ability to run fast for the marathon distance only needing to top up with the 16.3 mile AT run 4 weeks out from the target race.

Great if you could post those blogs and logs too, but in your own time.

After my Dublin masters outing yesterday, i've a long way to go!

Will introduce one of the Kellogg base building half speed sessions this week.

Thanks again

Would be great if you asked Jake re seeing his training plan. Would be very interested in seeing it. Its good to see how quickly he was able to progress his AT runs. I think his sub max marathon (2:23 and 98% PMP) must have been a great base of specific endurance for him. He knew he could go the full distance close to PMP at that stage and could concentrate on extending his ability to run actually @ or faster than PMP (AT sessions, PMP runs), supported by some LT sessions and the HM race. These AT sessions were of enough volume to also maintain his ability to run fast for the marathon distance only needing to top up with the 16.3 mile AT run 4 weeks out from the target race.

Thanks again

T, I waited to get the ok from you before posting as I didn’t want to clog up your log.

Just some quick background on Jake
    At school – mad into the sport thing. Mainly B/ball. Started running for B/ball and realised he had a ‘bit’ of talent. Ran 4:17 for the mile (equates to about 4:00 for 1500m – nothing special, pretty av for 16-18 yr old track runner). Didn’t run well at college and later: always injured. Jacked running. Big into hiking and skiing and the whole outdoors thing. Spent a good few years just doing the outdoors stuff and running as and when – just for fun. Met Andrea (good runner with huge potential and same love of the old outdoors stuff) and they decided to get back into the running.

“In 2008 I moved to Colorado and was exposed to a whole new world of recreation. Backcountry skiing, climbing the 14,000 foot peaks, and long distance backpacking trips became my primary athletic pursuits. I still ran daily, but for fun and general fitness. For two years I played in the mountains, skied over 200 days, and most importantly had the good fortune of meeting Andrea North (featured in the June/July issue of this magazine). We moved to Salt Lake City during the summer of 2010 (more for the skiing than running, to be honest), but we were both itching to start training more seriously and do some racing.

Last fall I signed up for the Antelope Island 50K, hoping that would keep me motivated through the cold winter months. I had no concept of it at the time, but that simple action of clicking the “register” button on my computer would kick-start a streak of 27 straight 100+ mile weeks, which laid the foundation for me jump to a new level of running that I had previously dreamed about, but never thought I would actually reach.

I started 2011 by winning a couple of trail runs (including the 50K), and as I started to prepare for the Utah Valley Marathon, I realized that I had “jumped a level.” I had a string of good workouts and races in May, went into my debut marathon with tremendous confidence, and executed a great race. Running has been more fun than ever during this past year, and I can’t wait to see where I can go from here.”

Prior to his 1st marathon 2:21:47 he averaged 115 mpw for 15 weeks– often doing 130-140. This was while working full-time! In a hospital with cancer patients.

Most of his running was done @ 7:30-8min pace and then closer to races he’d introduce tempo runs and some speed work. But he didn’t really improve for two years. But he developed a huge aerobic base.

He had Andrea nagging him in one ear and me in the other. Andrea wanted him to cut the miles and become more athletic and I tried to coerce him into a different approach – we’ve succeeded. He’s dropped his mileage to 90-105 but does some form of functional strength/mobility work pretty much everyday. He keeps his easy runs @ 7:30 to 8 pace. And as you highlighted, two workouts a week. It's all about appropriate stress, recovery, and adaptation. It's that simple.

There are a good few weaknesses in his California Marathon build-up but he had race commitments to fulfill and he was chasing a few bucks too. But the idea of, first improving LT and then narrowing the difference between LT and AT, proved a success – even off a limited and wishy-washy approach. But he can now see how to make his next breakthrough from sub-elite (2:17-2:24) to the elite ranks.

I’ll speak to him in the next few days and if he’s ok with it (I’m sure he will be) I’ll fire over his schedule. He’s a bit gutted at the moment as they’ve dropped the OTQ time down to 2:17…

I'll post my thoughts on your training, this afternoon or this evening...

Thanks again
    T, before I get into the nitty-gritty, some things:

It’s difficult to comment on the training of others without knowing the person and their circumstances – family, job, nutrition, sleep and the whole shooting match. Also, most of us don’t like to be told that our ideas/methods/ training schedules have faults – most of us think we’ve got it bang on. We’re a dogmatic breed. That said, I know you are a student of the sport and that your knowledge of training and all the rest of the stuff is way up there with the best of them. You also, from what I’ve witnessed, are not stuck to one ideology – you seem flexible and thoughtful in your approach.

If what I say rubs you up the wrong way, please don’t take offence and excuse my ineptitude and ignorance. I can be a bit gung-ho at times.

For good reason, I haven’t gone back over your training and race: I followed your training and read your race report at the time. From your race report, I can specifically remember you mentioning something about your son/daughter. The main thing that struck me from your training was how you fell apart after such a great start. I also recall thinking, when I posted something about a session you lifted from Lydia Cheromei’s Amsterdam schedule, T’s lost his way here. I think the session was from late in her preparations and you had it early in yours.

As you started the more specific phase of your training, it seemed to me, from a close reading of your log, that you had the burden of mankind on your shoulders. You seemed to be swamped in misery instead of enjoying your running. I might be wrong here, but that was the impression I had from reading your log at the time. Subsequently, I wasn’t surprised when things started to go ’wrong’.

You mention above about the lack of a schedule – it’s difficult to wing a marathon and get a pb. The marathon is a simple race; people complicate it.

Another point, and I suspect I stand alone on here with this one – I don’t think you (universal pronoun, not you specifically) should race during the final 8-10 weeks of a marathon build-up. But what about the elites everybody screams. Well, if we look closely, some race and some don’t. But if you are in good 5k/10k/10 mile/half shape, 6 weeks out from a marathon, you are not getting the most out of your training. Sure, you might well get a pb etc. But if you didn’t race, your pb would be much improved, that is, of course, if the training’s right. I could go into the details of this but it would start getting complicated, so I’ll save it for another time. The time to race is before you enter the final 8-10 weeks.

If you look at the specifics of what you actually did, there’s little in there that would suggest busting 2:30 – that doesn’t mean that you can’t smash through 2:30 – you most certainly can.

For Frankfurt, I like how you are starting now. I do, however, get a sense from the sub text of your log that you might be about to change direction – that’s ok – so long as you don’t panic and go off on some mad quick-fix. The idea of a big aerobic base is good and adding in some other bits and pieces at this stage is good too – so long as they have a purpose and you are planning on progressing them towards your eventual goal. I got this from you comment about the Masters thing you mentioned.

I also have reservations about how you are planning on going from a big base to middle distance on the track and then on into marathon training. This, if not handled correctly, will fail. Yes, some can get away with this method and make a big breakthrough but I think you might destroy your aerobic base and be starting from scratch. And yet, this is similar to the method I prefer for the first two stages of a four stage approach – I would be more inclined to transition in from a big base to 5k work and then ease into what I call a catapult method of LT training, which blends into a 5 month marathon build-up (I’ll explain this another time).

Anyway, you’re either punching the computer screen or you’ve fallen asleep – so I’ll leave it there, for now.

Remember, no offence intended, just honest thoughts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Another point, and I suspect I stand alone on here with this one – I don’t think you (universal pronoun, not you specifically) should race during the final 8-10 weeks of a marathon build-up. But what about the elites everybody screams. Well, if we look closely, some race and some don’t. But if you are in good 5k/10k/10 mile/half shape, 6 weeks out from a marathon, you are not getting the most out of your training. Sure, you might well get a pb etc. But if you didn’t race, your pb would be much improved, that is, of course, if the training’s right. I could go into the details of this but it would start getting complicated, so I’ll save it for another time. The time to race is before you enter the final 8-10 weeks.

I'd be interested to hear you expand on this bit some time.

Just to clarify/add to some of the above points:

1. The part where I said that I remembered what you wrote about your child, even after all this time and hundreds of race reports and daily training sessions, was a memorable and beautiful moment. To access a runner’s mind and witness the rawness and vulnerability is inspiring and powerful stuff – for me, it’s part of the magic of running. I should have mentioned this and then started a new para.

2. On the burden of mankind and all that hyperbole – what I meant was that you seemed to be straining under the load of training and everyday life. It’s tough to go out to work and do double days and long hard runs in the wind and rain, especially off the back of months of high mileage. In short, and I think you alluded to this, perhaps a touch of burnout?

3. The not racing in the 8-10 weeks prior to the marathon - I’m not going to go into it in detail but just to qualify it a wee bit:

Most people race in the final 8-10 weeks. Some people do 5k10k races 7-14 days out from race day. This, after all the weeks preparing your body to perfect fuel burning in and around race pace, seems to me to be counter intuitive: it slightly confuses the system and puts things out of kilter. It’s one of the many reasons why runners struggle in the final few miles. The old half marathon 4-6 weeks out is a common strategy. Imo, 4-6 weeks out you don’t want to be in great half marathon shape; you want to be in great marathon shape – big difference. If, however, you run a half marathon between 97% and 103% of pmp, then this ok and is in fact a great idea. Also, depending on your level and background, running a marathon/ 22-24 miles of marathon 6-8 weeks out with a good number of the miles (15-22) in and around 97% of pmp is also great idea.

I hope this clarifies some of the murkier points I made above; if not, just ask me what I meant and I’ll try my best to explain. The great news is we’re debating and examining different approaches/aspects and that has to be healthy for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

3. The not racing in the 8-10 weeks prior to the marathon - I’m not going to go into it in detail but just to qualify it a wee bit:

Most people race in the final 8-10 weeks. Some people do 5k10k races 7-14 days out from race day. This, after all the weeks preparing your body to perfect fuel burning in and around race pace, seems to me to be counter intuitive: it slightly confuses the system and puts things out of kilter. It’s one of the many reasons why runners struggle in the final few miles. The old half marathon 4-6 weeks out is a common strategy. Imo, 4-6 weeks out you don’t want to be in great half marathon shape; you want to be in great marathon shape – big difference. If, however, you run a half marathon between 97% and 103% of pmp, then this ok and is in fact a great idea. Also, depending on your level and background, running a marathon/ 22-24 miles of marathon 6-8 weeks out with a good number of the miles (15-22) in and around 97% of pmp is also great idea.

Stazza, thanks for this information! I was debating my Spring plan myself and whether I should race a HM/10km event 2 weeks before marathon (Knew it would be too much to race the HM but the 10k...?), or just run the HM @ MP.
    I think I will run the HM @ MP now. Do you think that even at MP, a HM 2 weeks from a marathon would be too much?
    (I have a decent mileage background the past couple of years and seem to recover well from runs most of the time).

Cheers!
    [/hijack]

I can understand that in the last 6-8 weeks you want to be focusing in on marathon pace. But in those weeks you will presumably also be doing sessions at other paces - mile repeats, tempo runs, whatever. So what is the difference between doing 5x1k at 5k pace 2 weeks out, and doing a 5k race two weeks out? Is it a mental thing, people treating the build-up race as a goal, and maybe tilting their training towards it?

RayCun wrote: »
    I can understand that in the last 6-8 weeks you want to be focusing in on marathon pace. But in those weeks you will presumably also be doing sessions at other paces - mile repeats, tempo runs, whatever. So what is the difference between doing 5x1k at 5k pace 2 weeks out, and doing a 5k race two weeks out? Is it a mental thing, people treating the build-up race as a goal, and maybe tilting their training towards it?

I'm just about to go out for a cheeky little 8 mile progression run - I'll answer this later, but for now, I'll leave you with a question. An immediate and obvious answer will come to mind, but think about it:

Why would you be doing mile repeats/1k repeats 2-8 weeks prior to a marathon?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Stazza, thanks for this information! I was debating my Spring plan myself and whether I should race a HM/10km event 2 weeks before marathon (Knew it would be too much to race the HM but the 10k...?), or just run the HM @ MP.
    I think I will run the HM @ MP now. Do you think that even at MP, a HM 2 weeks from a marathon would be too much?
    (I have a decent mileage background the past couple of years and seem to recover well from runs most of the time).

Cheers!
    [/hijack]

Quick answer - see comment about 8 mile progression run. If you have to race/run, do the 10k @ 102/103% of pmp or the half with 6-8 miles @102/103% of pmp. I'll explain later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »

Sorry for butting in very interesting discussion hopefully we are not ruining T Runners log with the hi jack (let me know and I can throw these into a separate thread)

I think the point Stazza is trying to make is specificity. I know there are some plans which advocate the sort of approach that you have listed above (looks very much along the lines of P&D) but I think Stazza is coming from the Canova way of thinking with regards building up distance at MP rather than bringing down times as a measure of progression and as such the focus is on Aerobic Threshold, almost exclusively

With regards the difference between the 5k tune up race and 5x1k I would say they change the dynamics of a week drastically in terms of recovery and training approach for the week.

@Stazza I would be interested to hear your opinions on sessions which might not be physiologically the most effective, yet yield great results due to mental confidence gotten.

I know personally I have minimal 5k work in the specific marathon phase in the 10 week build up to Rotterdam, but I do have it. Have found this to be beneficial previously as another coach put it "to lock in new fitness levels". While I know the Canova approach is all about specificity towards the marathon I think the normal recreational runner has a wider target (most usually want to improve times over distances from 5k - Marathon) and as such probably should never stray too far away from any one energy pathway and should keep in touch with all aspects. IMO each system should be worked throughout a year, though in different ratio's depending on ones short term goal.

Why would you be doing mile repeats/1k repeats 2-8 weeks prior to a marathon?

:) I was going to ask, do you drop everything faster than PMP in the last 8 weeks?

The immediate and obvious answer - the same reason to do some shorter races in the build-up - is 'to keep from going insane'.

A bit more thought - because some variety of training stimulus is needed, even in the last couple of months, for the training to be effective. Yes, the last few months become more and more about PMP, but you don't want to fall into a rut either. Some runs at a faster pace make the PMP feel easier, even if the faster runs are the secondary sessions in a week. Also faster running can help you keep in touch with form.

pant, pant, pant. I'll tackle the questions later (got to do my AIS etc, shower, nutrition and make a Stazza Chill-ay). But just to keep you thinking:

There's plenty of variety in the training approach that I advocate, if anything, the idea is to get people away from all this 2 marathons a year stuff and show them that there's more to running than a Long Sunday run, a session of mile repeats and a 10 mile tempo @ mp. Although there are elements of Canova in the method, it's not all about Canova and his approach - I see plenty of weaknesses in Canova's method. But that'll lead to a load of tear-ups if we go down that road.

@ecoli - I get the Hadley idea - I like his approach to training (more as a post aerobic/base phase: general conditioning) and as he says in the introduction of his 'book', he sought approval from Canova. But there are big problems with Hadley's approach too. Don't get me wrong, it can be effective and is a sensible approach to training that has longevity, which is very important. Anyway, my old body is starting to 'stiffen' - better get to my cool down or I'll never break 15:22 for 5k.

Thanks for the input Stazza, great analysis.
    ......For good reason, I haven’t gone back over your training and race: I followed your training and read your race report at the time. From your race report, I can specifically remember you mentioning something about your son/daughter.

That was a photo my wife emailed to me of my daughter which I visualised when things got tougher during the race to keep the mind positive, and it worked a treat.

Sleep wasn't an issue during the preparation although it is now with a 4 month old in tow: that's another reason why the big base of easy running idea seems to fit quite well for this phase.
    I will encounter problems with tiring sessions at the moment. A slow adaption to big mileage bypasses this to a degree.
    The main thing that struck me from your training was how you fell apart after such a great start. I also recall thinking, when I posted something about a session you lifted from Lydia Cheromei’s Amsterdam schedule, T’s lost his way here. I think the session was from late in her preparations and you had it early in yours.

The big session you mentioned (from Cheromei's schedule) was roughly at the same time out from marathon as hers (7 weeks), although definitely at a different stage of preparation as, unlike myself, she had several fast LT and AT type sessions bagged at that stage. I honestly felt the benefit of the 3k hard uphill in that session in leg strength at the end of the marathon. The HM the following week and the session the week after absolutely killed me. Mileage was down, I knew things were off the rails and I was finding it difficult to change it with a tired mind. I remember asking for opinions on PMP here before the marathon race, but in reality PMP should have been decided before the specific phase.
    As you started the more specific phase of your training, it seemed to me, from a close reading of your log, that you had the burden of mankind on your shoulders. You seemed to be swamped in misery instead of enjoying your running. I might be wrong here, but that was the impression I had from reading your log at the time. Subsequently, I wasn’t surprised when things started to go ’wrong’.

That was after 5 weeks out and things were probably already wrong. 3 weeks of monster sessions without adequate adaption had tired me out and reduced my mileage. I actually had an aversion to running any hard miles after that. I didn't manage to complete a real session bar a 10k race and only a race environment and a steady start enabled me to manage that.
    You mention above about the lack of a schedule – it’s difficult to wing a marathon and get a PB. The marathon is a simple race; people complicate it.

Agreed.

I had ran 25k miles in just over 96% of 2:32 pace pace 7.5 weeks out.

To keep it simple after this: Use two more session to extend this run to say 32k+.
    Start AT sessions as part of long runs eg 5x3k, 4x5k, 5x5k all with a moderate k recovery.
    That with the HM @ PMP and one long run say 16k E 16k @AT, should have got me a 2:32 on the day. Easy-moderate running with a little fast fartlek and strides, in between.

Another drawback for the HM in particular is the rest needed before and after. That said 8-10 weeks out it might serve as a final huge LT boost before AT focused on.

Another session I saw when a hard workout was needed, was a HM: first half at MP, second half progressing to finish at HM pace.

Some elites like to run a 8-10k race 2 weeks out as a marathon sharpener. Id imagine that might be of benefit as long as it was paced sensibly and a big buildup of lactic was avoided in the last k. Any gains made I guess should be weighed against the fact that it might encourage a glucose to be burned quicker which is problematic, but if the runner paces it well and doesn't run the last 2k all out it could be beneficial on balance.
    For Frankfurt, I like how you are starting now. I do, however, get a sense from the sub text of your log that you might be about to change direction – that’s ok – so long as you don’t panic and go off on some mad quick-fix. The idea of a big aerobic base is good and adding in some other bits and pieces at this stage is good too – so long as they have a purpose and you are planning on progressing them towards your eventual goal. I got this from you comment about the Masters thing you mentioned.

The big mileage plan is still intact. Just need to be consistant with strides and the odd 200s session (e.g 8k of 200 @ 5k, 200 steady) to ensure that the easy and steady aerobic running is economical.
    I also have reservations about how you are planning on going from a big base to middle distance on the track and then on into marathon training. This, if not handled correctly, will fail. Yes, some can get away with this method and make a big breakthrough but I think you might destroy your aerobic base and be starting from scratch. And yet, this is similar to the method I prefer for the first two stages of a four stage approach – I would be more inclined to transition in from a big base to 5k work and then ease into what I call a catapult method of LT training, which blends into a 5 month marathon build-up (I’ll explain this another time).

To be honest youre probably right there. If my marathon was in the Spring of 2015 i'd have time for the middle distance season and to build up again.

I had considered something like THIS. Based n Rosa's training.
    Remember, no offence intended, just honest thoughts. :)

Non taken, I really appreciate the feedback!

T, I agree with everything. Great minds and all that.

One thing I hate is when I go to enter my training in my diary and the Kids have written something like, 'Dad stinks'; this reminds me of that sort of thing. Best we stop sullying T's training log. But the discussion is important and I have an idea how we might develop it, just need some time as I don't want to make a mistake with commitments etc.

Also, and this is very important, nobody should change or modify their schedules too much based on these posts. This dialogue was specific to T's training. If you're following a 12 week Magazine thing, then I suggest you stick to the plan.

Clearly there's some interest in the tripe we're chatting about, so give me some time and I'll come up with a way of explaining the Stazza System etc...

Sorry T - I'm outta here now:)

T,
    Sorry for jumping back in but I thought you'd like to know that I've just been speaking with Jake - he's gonna jump in on the boards later. Just to give you the heads up if there's anything you want to know. Shall I ask him to come in on your log?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

T. Loved your contribution about the 25th anniversary Warriers run on the Radio Kerry John Lenihan podcast. Well done that man.

T,
    Sorry for jumping back in but I thought you'd like to know that I've just been speaking with Jake - he's gonna jump in on the boards later. Just to give you the heads up if there's anything you want to know. Shall I ask him to come in on your log?

Good man stazza! If Jake jumps in here it suits me fine. This Wimter ans Spring Im thinking of going the high mileage route that Jake followed on commencing his serious training a few years ago. Would he have any advice there ( he seems to have jumped straight in deep with the 100miler weeks ) and how much of his improvement would he attribute to his string of hundred milers. Also would be intersted in the structure of these weeks......were there any sessions or just a lot of easy paced running to build the aerobic base. How did he manage running form throUgh the big mileage. Thanks to Jake and yourself for taking the time here. Much appreciated, both of you!

• Advertisement

He recently started work with Saucony and he said he'd get over to me later tonight (our time) - it might mean that he hits your log tomorrow evening. I'll tell him to pick up from where I linked his blog in and then get him to give his thoughts. He'll answer your questions - he loves all this sort of chat.

Advertisement