Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done T. How much time did you lose while following the incorrect path?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good honest report there T. Can't believe you risked Lough Annacurra and then went wrong! I'd have put the gap between 2nd and 3rd at the summit as about 15 secs all right (maybe 30-40 between 1st and 2nd; both counted estimates). It was a great race to watch- everyone who came up that hill to the top was panting audibly, except Des, he ran off the top with aplomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Good honest report there T. Can't believe you risked Lough Annacurra and then went wrong! I'd have put the gap between 2nd and 3rd at the summit as about 15 secs all right (maybe 30-40 between 1st and 2nd; both counted estimates). It was a great race to watch- everyone who came up that hill to the top was panting audibly, except Des, he ran off the top with aplomb.

I got that sense too that des was running within himself. Its a luxury too with such a gap that you can even out the effort of the run, a bit easier on the climbs and accelerate on the flats etc. The panters needed to be on dess shoulder to apply a little pressure and doubt!
    Do you remember the gap back to brian/paddy? I could estimate how much time we lost of brian who paces very well.
    I actualy saw theright path but still turned lemming. Cant explain it. I felt very foolish in that forest!

It felt like about 2 mins but time goes slowly when youre lost so it mayhave been less. Ill see what kurt comes back with re brians ascent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

T runner wrote: »
    Do you remember the gap back to brian/paddy? I could estimate how much time we lost of brian who paces very well.

I'm estimating here, about 20 seconds gap (+/- 5 secs) between yourself and Brian/Paddy who were running together.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'm estimating here, about 20 seconds gap (+/- 5 secs) between yourself and Brian/Paddy who were running together.

Got the GPS track from David and it was 2:10-20 walkabout. Im happier with that. My gut was that if i descended very well i might sneak within a minute, didnt quite get there (with the time adjustment) but i feel a little better now.

I was going to send you some data..rate of descent etc of different runners for a bit of calculus on your part Kurt, till i remembered the GPS. Have to find my Garmin!

Plenty of photos on John Shiels site HERE

• Advertisement

Sunday: 10/2/2013

Lunchtime: 18k easy run, out the coast and over the head to Howth. Legs sore but eased up after a while (until teh downhill into Howth).

PM: 10k recovery.

Legs still sore so have postponed Mondays lunchtime run.

A good week. 143k, 13 runs inc 3 sessions. The 2ks on tuesday were tough, ill take them slighly easier next time and get them all in even paced. Thursdays 21k progression also went well. Nothing special but a hardish run that will add to fitness. The race on saturday was mostly an even effort and when i recover from the leg soreness my legs will bounce back stronger.

This week probably a long progression run (25k) to start to work on strenght. May do mini hill session on wednesday. Legs wont be ready for a session tomorrow, ribs still sore after saturdays fall. Saturday either uphill threadmill tempo or club tempo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What sort of effort level are you putting in on the uphill treadmill sessions at 6% gradient, slow and steady or a mix of intensities? Main focus to build strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Epic report T. Did you get a chance to take in your surroundings? John's pictures are ace. Did you jog around the trail afterwards by way of warmdown? Great to have you down in our little part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I think the turbo miht need to be used. I hsve a long way to go to get whete i need to be climbing wise.
    I have a road loop around killiney hill i use...5k. 4-5 steady to hard laps this thursdsy, Probably in progression. An uphill threadmill tempo on saturday possibly 6k @ 6 deg.

Great report.

What sort of turbo session do you do to improve your climbing?

What sort of effort level are you putting in on the uphill treadmill sessions at 6% gradient, slow and steady or a mix of intensities? Main focus to build strength?

The session will be LT. These are supposed to have great results for flat running too (3-6%). Gradient may be determined by my strenght if limits the ffort level. I want to get stronger but also improve my LT. So 6k @ 6% LT effort.

I dont have access to convenient hills. I want to run twice a week on hills, thats every 2nd session. Threadmill will help for now. For example Instead of 5 X 2k on flat i might do 5 X 7 mins @ 5%. I might do 10 X 90s up to build power instead of 10 by 400m. Ill alternate sessions, and thsi works fine as im still building firness. I will do more uphill tempos as the climbing endurance is specific. Ill also use turbo and cycling for general strenght now.

THis training will give me fitness and strenght to do the likes of winter league or Leinster league races. In 6 weeks ill get more specific for the big mountain races and that means outdoors.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great report.

What sort of turbo session do you do to improve your climbing?

Initially, ill do short bursts out of the saddle to work on power without over overdoing it. Technique wise ill try to mimic runing up hill as much as possible. That means flexing the calves more. I might then develop to 3 X 10mins out of the saddle. Plan to do a few long cycles also. Billy Burns, a well known English mountain runner based in Switzerland used to do 2 hours uphill on the turbo. (directly replacing a 2 hr uphill run on a mountain). Might try it for 90 minutes.

Epic report T. Did you get a chance to take in your surroundings? John's pictures are ace. Did you jog around the trail afterwards by way of warmdown? Great to have you down in our little part of the world.

Thanks SJ, it was lovely down there and ye have done a wonderful job on the trail. Didnt get to take in much of the surroundings, but ill try and get a training run in their in the next few months.

• Advertisement

Monday: 11/2/2013

PM Cycle 21k

Legs (and ribs) very sore from race on Sunday so gave lunchtime run a skip.
    Evening and I Dusted off the bike and did an easy pedal out to Sutton and back on the cycle track.

Legs miraculously recovered today, ribs still sore but slighly better.

I might try 2 steady runs today. One at lunch and one to burn off the pancakes later.

Cant do Trooperstown or Maulin Hill races(i didnt plan to but i would if i could now!).
    Next race is the Wicklow mountins half marathon. Also thinking of Hellfire Duathlon.

The Hellfire duathlon is Something different and ill need to do the hill /turbo/cycle work to prepare for it so its a good stimulus for teh training i need to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Give me a shout and I'll run with you any time if you coincide it with one of your recovery runs ;)

The Debra run will suit you. Familiarise yourself with the map and have a clear idea of the route in your head. I found it well marked the twice I ran it but last year the 2 leaders went off course and lost their podium places as a result. Its a lovely route and great event.

Give me a shout and I'll run with you any time if you coincide it with one of your recovery runs ;)

The Debra run will suit you. Familiarise yourself with the map and have a clear idea of the route in your head. I found it well marked the twice I ran it but last year the 2 leaders went off course and lost their podium places as a result. Its a lovely route and great event.

I will do indeed for sure! Normally meticulous enough with race planning, as well as knowing the route. ill normally google earth it, so i can gauge what junctions are like..what trail looks like before and after a junction etc.

Didn't quite have the planning head on before the last one, and paid for it. I did know the overall route direction and that it was veering right on a substantial trail, and in my gut i knew we were heading wrong. Normally id have corrected the mistake instantly. I think the lure of the lemming is very strong especially if you've been off the hills running or walking for a good period. Knowing the route intimately is a huge advantage for pacing as well as not going wrong. It also helps you to visualise the race in advance, which means you can race better and adapt better during a race as you know whats ahead (have "seen" it already). I think your almost guaranteeing youll run a decent race by spending an hour or two musing over a route and sussing it out.

Anyway Wicklow mountains half looks straightforward so no need to bother looking at that.:pac:

Well have a run around the trail and the race route....and both of us through Lake Annacurra!

Tuesday 12/2/2013

Lunch: 10k including 2k hard uphill.

Wednesday 13/2/2013

26k easy-steady-hard 600m ascent/descent

Tuesday's plan was a steady lunch run and a steady evening run. Work meant i had to shorten the lunch run so i went for an easy run but putting effort into the climb (2k from Killiney Roundabout to Obelisk). Breathing hard at the end, but a nice spot to take a breather.

Pancakes and evening run were foiled by an electrical cut to the area.

Felt very fresh on Tuesday and decided to move my planned thursday run forward. Loop last night was 4.75k anti-clockwise on roads around (outside) Killiney and Dalkey park with 120m total climbing. Jogged from Bullock harbour, and did 5 laps continous, and jogged back to Bullock at session end. First lap easy, and then a test of pacing to make every lap harder but be able to manage the last. The start of the laps includes a 2k climb from Dalkey to Killiney (95m ascent), then down around the sea side of the hill with a couple of undulations before the lap ends. Just about managed it. I felt good climbing the 4th lap, large fast strides at maximum steady state possibly, bit of lactic near top only. Last lap was hard, a struggle to hold effort at the end. Used downhill to recover and took the last 2 undulations hard to maximise climbing benefit on the tired legs.
    This is the type of hard aerobic session that got me very fit last year. I always feel that ive pushed my fitness on after it. That will be the trend now. Hard aerobic session, day or two recovery, hard aerobic session again. I just have to alternate them and keep an eye on how many are on hills.

THis week: 36k This Year 752k

Thursday 14/2/2013

Lunch 4k easy recovery jog.

PM 13.5k easy

Friday 15/2/2013

AM 12.5 easy

Not much to report. Doing a session home tonight, probably a tempo run. Wedding on saturday and a family commitment on Sunday means next substantial run will be Sunday afternoon or evening, ideally a hill run in Howth taking in a lot of climb. Next weekend will be similarly tricky as Im away and chances to run will be limited.

This week 66k This Year 782k

Posted these on the main Forum also.

PROGRAM FOR STRENGHT ENDURANCE

Some useful exercises and sessions in there.

DANIELS THREADMILL CALCULATOR

Foe the uphill tempo session in the above link (or any threadmill session) to correlate a speed and incline to a flat speed and pace (input: threadmill speed and incline).

Friday PM

18k inc 10.3 k tempo

Started effort at walkway between sandycove and dunlaoghaire. Checked mapmyrun and it was 9k to the end of the walkway at sandymount strand. As i ran i decided that id run till i felt the strain and hold it for the correct lenght of time. Of any run Surely a tempo run can we gauged like this? No garmin or watch so running by feel with a minute break at the railway crossing i was able to push it on a bit longer to the end of irishtown park. Nothing spectacular but a good run and hopefully fitness notched up a little. My first uphill threadmill tempo next week wil be 20 mins and hard. I can push that time out after and try and hold the pace. Time to get the legs strong and body light!

Saturday 16/2/2013

Rest day

Sunday 17/2/2013

Hill Reps: 18k (800m total ascent) including hill reps X 6 (650m ascent)

Knew it would be difficult to get a run in this weekend and so it proved.
    Glad to get to Howth yesterday afternoon. Started near Tower at Sutton South and headed along cliff path as far as Bailey lighthouse. The rep was from the beach to the summit carpark. Initially had to share the higher busier part of the reps with tourists but found a more direct line up after the steps for most of the reps. Climb was about 130m, inc steps for first 60m of it.
    Good for a bit of allrounding i guess. The steps are tricky coming down so had to walk a lot of this in the dusk so there was a little too much recovery.
    Effort was as controlled as possible but only one foot per step if possible. The rest of the climb would be steady to the summit. I had to take a couple of steps on the larger steps and itw as a godo rep in that the shallower upper part to teh carpark worked on endurance with tired legs. Rep 5 was steps only as it was getting dark, rep 6 was back to a full rep with 5 and 6 run harder with one foort per step strictly applied.

I have definately cracked or badly bruised ribs from my fall in the last k of Annacurra so i could only manage a painful jog downhill on road back to car.

Not great value aerobically for my 2hrs 10 minutes out but glad to get something in.

Those steps are better for short hill reps. Maybe 2 sets of 5. The last one of each set could be run up to the summit for climbing endurance. Will find a better hill for the longer reps.

Painkillers for ribs now as Dr Google has advised. Will do club session tomorrow. 6 X 1 is down, but Ill do 10 X 1 as am not racing the XC this weekend. Might do a session thursday (if the ribs can take the shaking) involving, a long fast run on a triangle from Taylors pub to 3 rock to Kilmashogue. Good fast climbing there and it can be run steady-hard too all the way.

Ill be able to divert for a run on the Mournes saturday morning before rejoining family in Belfast saturday afternoon.
    That will be a recce of Slieve Donard. The Slieve Donard race is a free route from Newcastle town start to summit and back. Essentially the route follows the Glen river for a couple of k before a choice has to be made at the "icehouse" building. Left and directly up on open mountain via the Black Stairs (steep, maybe mucky, may involve some walking), or the longer option, continuing a long the glen river valley on a good path, emerging in teh Col between Commedagh and Donard and follwing the Mourne wall to Donard summit. The descent is straight down, a reverese of climb no 1.
    My recce will go up the steep way and down. Ill turn at the icehouse and climb the mountain again from gelen valley.
    They say guys and girls who can run all the way up the glen go that way. Those that cant naturally talk the direct line. All the fastest times have been set on teh direct route though. I guess direct is faster if the ground is dry. If its soft, the glen comes into the equation but only if it can be run. Either way both need to be recced.

Edit: This week: 101k Yearly 817k

Monday 18/2/2013

Lunch: 10k 140m height gain

To Killiney Obelisk and back.

PM: 10k flat to Wooden bridge and back. Both runs easy-steady as feeling strong.

Ill try and make sure easy days are minimum 20k in 2 runs now. A long way to summer season so need to keep the mileage high.

Tuesday 19/2/2013
    Lunch: 5k inc exercises for running technique (from the link a few posts back)

So estimated 40m along a soccer pitch about 2k from work.
    Exercises were:
    1: Alternate leg hops 40m: essentially bounds at 45 degrees across the body. So a left footed bound pushed 45 deg forward and right etc.
    2: Very high knees 40m: as stated but the "very" part made height more important than speed. More strenght needed which suits me and my plans.
    3: Butt Kicks: 30m No explanation needed.
    4: Bounding 30m: Concentrating on long bound with long hang time.
    5: Skipping 30m Did high skips for strenght emphasis.

Did these 5 exercises continously. Did 3 sets about 1 min between sets

Edit: just read progression is to lenghten the reps up till 200m with good recovery. I guess ill take recovery when needed. Will add 20m a week.

Finished with 3-4 strides in preparation for my club session tonight.

Grand wee lunchtime option. 5k and all done and dusted in half an hour.

Tommorrow i may try the strenght circuit:

Squat jumps X 10; Jumping Jacks X 20; one leg high kness hops X10
    4 sets

progression is to 8 sets of: Squat jumps X 20; Jumping Jacks X 40; one leg high kness hops X15

The one legged high knee hops should be of special interest to one legged men preparing for ass kicking competitions.

• Advertisement

Tuesday cont.

PM 15k: inc 6 X 1k, wi 2 min off
    3:18-3:08 pace

Meant to do more but ended up chatting after the official session was over (6 X 1k).
    Happy with it. Managed to stay within 10m of 2 lads of good standard, one ran a 32:30 10k recently. They may have been running more controlled because of the senior XC this weekend but i had 2 more at that pace in me so happy that ive progresed from 2 weeks ago when i was dropped after 60% of a session (albeit a longer one 5 X 2k).
    One of the lads there (not one of the 2 leading the reps out) was training on tired legs. He was racing the reps, coming from 10m back as 4th runner to pass me in the run in. I thought he just finished hard, but as the session progressed he slowed after passing me and even started drifting over and back the path to block a little. I wasnt interested in passing him, but id planned to try and stick closer to the 2 lads ahead from no. 4 on. He raced very hard to get ahead on that one and the zigzagging was very obvious. No sign of him and he was well back for no.s 5 and 6. I didnt get involved with the racing but it just shows how sessions can affect people. Being competitive in sessions can work sometimes and other times can backfire. My clubmate would have run a better session by targetting me as someone to pace with or off and not to beat. He would have had 6 even k's to stand him in good stead for the weekend.

I remember John Lenihan saying he training alone to avoid this very thing as he was ultra competitive. I dont think Im that competitive and have the hang of these sessions now.
    Incidently, I could already feel the spring and strenght from the bouncing up those steps on Sunday. Running up steep steps almost forces you to do that Lydiard hill spring---exagerating the running movement and giving great power and elasticity for flat and hill..

Less chatting and more reps and warming down next time too!

Easy run and Canovas strenght circuit planned for lunch.

Slowly getting stronger and fitter.

I keep having a recurring dream of getting passed out by a clown during a very long run. Strange.

Weekly 35k Yearly 852k

Wednesday 20/2/2013

Lunch. 5k inc strenght exercises.

4 X (Squat jumps X 10; Jumping Jacks X 20; one leg high kness hops X10; pressups X 10-20)

Very specific to running, felt it at the end of the jumping jacks and the high one legged hops are tough but good).

Will keep them up.

16k easy planned for later. Brrrr

Monday 18/2/2013

Lunch: 10k 140m height gain

To Killiney Obelisk and back.

PM: 10k flat to Wooden bridge and back. Both runs easy-steady as feeling strong.

Ill try and make sure easy days are minimum 20k in 2 runs now. A long way to summer season so need to keep the mileage high.

Wednesday cont.

10k easy

Thursday

28 K about 1000m climbing.

3 road climbs of 3 rock. Two loops from marley-taylors-3rock-kilmsahogue-marley. The middle climb was a descent to bottom of ticknock road and back to masts. I wore old footwear and belatedly realised that cruising descents might result in injury as fireroad was very hard. Recovery was too great therefore. Thay said, the last climb was tough and burnrd a little. Pace was ok, but ill have got a good stimulus to climbing rndurance out of this. The road climbs are preferable at this stage as you are putting a constant pressure on the system.
    My policy of trying not to repeat a session twice means i wont have to do this one again. Well i hope not anyway!

Edit:

Hams and glutes feeling it from stremght work yesterday. Its those one legged high knees! Come back lunge walking all is forgiven! Incidently, baby noticed a woman lungewalking in fairview park with weights: baby is now lunge walking around the house. Shell lament the lunge walking when i start her on one legged high knees!

Friday 22/2/2013

10k recovery

Saturday 23/2/2013

aM: 20k steady with 5.5k uphill tempo after 11k.

Town out to howth via summit. Tempo was from sutton to summit carpark. Concentrated on technique and climbed well. Ran first few minutes steady off road after summit to practice changing from climbing to descending. Enjoyable run despite cold. First mountain run tommorrow weather permiting.
    PM: 10k easy

Saturday PM: 10k easy

Sunday 24/2/2013
    8.5k hillrun in snow. 385m climb.

Started from Crone wood, plan was a climb of Maulin followed by Djouce and Maulin again.
    I was going to take the climbs very beasy and practice floating the descents. The snow didnt make this possible so turned left and back to carpark along the WW after Maulin descent.
    Sounds a strange decision but i enjoyed the run as it was and doing a long slog in snow was not what i was hoping to achieve and would take from the week. I had two hill sessions done from thursday and Saturday anyway. Feeling refreshed today and glad for it.

Week Summary: 126.5k, 1550m climbing (only counting hilly days)

Sessions:Long road hills
    Steady-Uphill Tempo
    6 X 1k ave 3:13 ish

Supplementary:
    1 X circuit
    1 X technique

Happy with the week. The volumes are comfortable to be honest. I have scope for a big increase in training over the next 7-8 weeks before racing season proper. Whether i can logistically do it is another thing but physically i have it in me. Ive been edging the training up slowly but i know from last year that a well timed (sustaineable) whack to the volume can produce more dramatic results than edging further.

943.5k for year

Monday 25/2/2013

Lunch:
    5k easy and
    Circuits:
    (Squat jumps X 10; Jumping Jacks X 20; one leg high kness hops X10; Press up X 17(ave)) 5 sets

PM:
    15.5 k easy.

Decided to do these circuits today as im racing on saturday and they were severe on the body last week, but dont feel as bad this morning...... so legs may have adjusted.
    Legs were a bit sluggish starting the circuits. First circuit was hard. But improved thereafter. Legs felt a lot better afterwards, so must have been some cobwebs after the snowy hill run on Sunday. 1 extra set this week.

Today will be an easy run at lunch inc exercises for running technique that i did last week. The distance will be longer today.

This evening its the club session. Its a 7 X 1k, similar to last week (6 X 1k) for someone who doesnt like repeating sessions but i have the national 10k to keep in mind and i tend to train better in the group atmosphere too, so compromise is necessary.

The national half and hellfire duathlon have two other purposes:

National half will force me to preserve flat speed. Hellfire will force me to work on strenght. For my chances specifically its important that i have both.
    I think development races can be used well in this way, to guide us towards improving aspects beneficial to the greater goal.
    You need cadence and power for climbing too. I cant wait to get a few long mountain runs in. I really want to nail my descending..and climbing.

Things left to do:

-Maximise aerobic conditioning while maintaining flat speed and developing climbing power.
    -Using the circuits, bike, turbo, hill reps, hill sprints, and other climbing to maximise climbing power while maintaining flat speed.
    -Helping power to weight ratio by healthily improving body composition.
    -Using long runs and specific descending to develop descending skill and muscular resistance to ward off fatigue during long descents.
    -Combining all of the above in specific race-like sessions.

Ive a very long way to go! Best get cracking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Nice win int he Debra half marathon,Gary Hynes a nice scalp.

Tuesday 26/2/2013

10k inc 5 X 1k

WEd/thursday:

No running

Friday 1/3/2013
    6k easy

Saturday 2/3/2013

Debra Mountain half: 91:54 1st place.

Sunday 3/3/2013

Easyish mountain run Camaderry 10k

Monday 4/3/2013
    No running

Weird week! Tuesday:A strange session. I struggled from the start. Brethaing was fine but iw as well down on where i normally am. Legs getting very tired at the end of each k. I put it down to too much hills the previous week and fatigue in legs. Decided to take ite asy for a few days but went off running completely till friday when i had to get a jog of some description in to prep for staurdays race. Ill report on race after. Sunday was a lovely mountain run up and dqon Camaderry. Not recovery but how often do you get to run in the mountains on a beautiful day? No running yesterday. Weird week now over! back to the grindstone.

Route description:

Competitors are bussed from Brockage resource centre to start. Route Starts on a fire road a couple of k west of the Wicklow gap. Starts on a fireroad. Continues uphill for a k or 2 still moving more or elss away from the gap, and then descents a looooong way on fireroad before and before we reach the road we turned off left to a grassy slow climb back towards the gap. Initially somewhere on the left of the road it joins the road for a relieving 100 metres before we veer ion right away from the road and follow the climb on grass, muck, over stiles and steps for a longw ay until rejoining the road for the last 800 metres up till the gap and 9k done. The 10k race started here. Now we go offroad again past the gap car park and follow St Kevins Way for a long shallow, semi technical grassy descent turning to stone steps as we descent more steeply down into Glendasan valley. Once down it’s a good fast section on gravel road emerging onto tarmac at the Glendalough hotel. A few hundred metres on tarmac before a left turn onto the Wicklow way and a punishing steep climb up broken only by styles to be scaled. A wider flatish path signalling some respite for WW walkers and 10k racers is no solace for the 21k runners as we turn left here and then sharply right and climb the same again. Through a gate and the track mercilessly levels off a little on a roughish undulating path heading roughly in the right direction. A few more mini hills to draw curses and then it’s a long descent on good trail into Brockagh wood (same as part of Brockage race) with a little section down towards the Glenmacnass river before back onto a good trail and the finish at the Trail head in Laragh near Brockagh resources centre.

The Race:

Was wondering if the legs were going to be still a little fatigued as we lined up. Eyeballing around is aw Bernard F, who had warned me about letting rip down the steps to Glendasan at 14-15k. He was leading last year and the last hill flattened his chances. Rafael Salazer a fast, strong and consistant IMRA regular was there, also a guy with shades and long socks, and a few more.
    My plan was to start steady, not to lead out but stay in touch with the leaders to keep a good eye on things and work the legs into the climb. After a very moving speech about the charity involved we headed off knowing that this was about a little more than a personal run. I started easy-steady and found myself back in 7-8th immediately. This was a bit disconcerting as I hoped that my steady effort might have me closer to the front. I was watching head like a hawk and a guy was pushing out at a strong effort into the lead. I discounted him immediately. He had had a rush of blood to the head, simple as. It can happen to anyone. But If he didn’t reign back soon he would suffer badly. Another guy pushing after him into second was more unsettling. He was striding powerfully and effortlessly and was eating up the hill. He had dark hair and at first impression, I thought foreign possibly Spanish. Theres always some fast fecker out of the woodwork in these races I lamented to myself. I found out chatting to him afterwards that it was Gary Hynes. I used to see Gary in the photos of the front of big road races when I started running, usually winning. He was a track specialist, did the odd IMRA trial race too.
    I didn’t know any of this then. Just knew I didn’t like his gip. He was doing the auld “pretend youre covering a kamokase leader to get a lead yourself” trick. Or that’s what I thought he was up to anyway. I was going to have to try and cover this. Up it a bit but stay below red line at all costs. This is a long race with a lot of different underfoot conditions. Places should swap in theory, so I don’t have to make contact yet. Pss, sunglasses guy the elading lasdy (who had a strong run) and a few more to go clear into second. Were still climbing, I’m 20-30 metres back but the gap is not widening and im relatively comfortable. Looking back I decide it’s a two horse race: Unless someone has decided to start deliberately slow as some sort of training exercise then we are both decisively clear. Again it’s a long road so no counting chickens.
    At the brow of the fireroad hill the gap is only 15m. I decide if I keep the effort I’ll probably pass him on the down and I sense that I should do this. I know my legs can take a steady-hard down early in a longish race and this might test him. So it happens I pass quickly enough, not long after he bounds pass strongly and back into a 20-30 m lead. I begin to doubt now being honest sensing the gap opening and knowing I cant go at a faster sustaineable effort. The legs are a bit cold and cobwebby still and I should be probably going quicker given the effort. I talk myself through the weak spell and hold the lead at 20m. I did notice him clenching and relaxing fist and moving shoulders indicating strain. He was happy with his lead and had reduced pace again which was encouraging. I saw flags ahead indicating a left turn off the fireroad over a bank and onto a narrow grassy trail.
    He looked a little unsteady running up the bank onto the grass and that was good news. To help the spirits I took the corner tight and fast and was within 5-6 seconds after that transition. I didn’t go hard, just hard-steady which was the correct effort. It was 5k of up ahead. After 100 metres of grassy up he scaled a stepladder over a fence. He was jumping off as I was putting my foor on it. 50 metres later I caught him and luckily the path widened at that moment. I passed immediately, and did it smoothly so I didn’t have to slow. I kicked a little bit here. I got 10m but had to reign it in as an unsustaineable effort. I’m not stronger than him, I rationed, I’m just better used to this terrain. Keep running relaxed and smooth over it and that will put the pressure on. So I concentrated on that, not great, s few deep steps in schlop now and then but good enough. The lead kept inching wider. Soon, I was out of sight around the short corners and gradually I was out of sight along the longer sections. The ground was boggy, grassy and tufty, but I was concentrating and covering it well and although it felt a little disjointed, I was enjoying it. My climbing wasn’t great to be honest. Soon the road was in sight again and back on it I went. I feared this part because I would soon be visible again and the gap might close. Once I hit the road I was relieved. My recent road climbs on 3 rock and Howth kicked in. My technique was good, was lifting my legs rather than pushing the back one which kept my body was more upright and eating the ground. So I was running fast and keeping the effort still on the steady side of tempo. I looked back and saw Gary on the road, looked like id made 90s – 2 mins on the previous section so iw as delighted. I felt I ahd a great chance now as the next section would be my strongest: the long descent to Glendasan. I passed the top of the Hill at Wicklow gap, water station and back right and off road again. The 10k race had started maybe 10 minutes before so is started picking off walkers and then joggers and runners. This was a help rather than a hindrance as It kept me motoring and concentrating and I felt I would be able to deal with any obstacles better than my pursuer. I did well here and covered this section fast. Into Glendasan and I felt sensed the lead was large, maybe 4 minutes. My wife and toddler were in our rented cottage on the valley floor about a k from the round tower. I said hello and told her I was leading the half. Said hello to toddler but forget to say goodbye which toddler didn’t forget.
    Onto tarmac near Glendalough hotel, last water station and left turn onto Wicklow way with 5k to go. A steep horrible climb. I could manage a slow jog to keep the field at bay behind but no more. Had to sprint to sneak ahead of some 10kers at a few of stiles. Then the 21k turned left. More steep challenging climbing. Slow and painful, technique gone. Lost concentration here to be honest, and was poor and slow on the undulating section traversing Brockagh mountain after. The downhill picked up the 10k route again and it helps to have others around as I picked it up and finished strong but controlled enjoying the lovely winding path near the Glenmacnass river.
    Delighted with the run and this race and charity will be a regular with me now.

The Reason:

The charity is Debra Ireland that provide patient support services and to drive research into treatments and cures for those living with the genetic skin condition, epidermolysis bullosa (EB). EB is a distressing and painful genetic skin condition causing the skin layers and internal body linings to separate and blister at the slightest touch.

I didn’t know much about the charity when entering the race being honest.
    At the race start a man talked who had a daughter with EB. He described how she suffered for everyday of her life. As a baby she woke up with 40-50 skin blisters from lying in the cot. If insufficient cream was not applied to her eyes throughout the night they would be blistered out in the morning. Eating for her was like eating glass for us. Inside of mouth cut and blistered when eating the smallest amount. A device connected to her stomach for nutrition provided some relief and nutrition for her, and there were a (relatively) good couple of years after. As body weight increased the problems returned and multiplied. She lost all skin on her buttocks from sitting, the skin from her lags started sticking together. Skin cancer thrives in this scenario and a second bout killed her at age 19. She had spent the last 6 years of her life without skin on buttocks or legs. She was diagnosed with the terminal cancer on her 19th birthday. She asked her father not to grieve but instead to tell others how she had suffered everyday of her life so that perhaps money could be made to help others like her and eventually cure the disease. That’s why he was there passing on her message at the race start. You’d do a lot worse than to combine a great race in a beautiful location with helping out this charity next year.

Ive left my mycharity page open here for sponsorship for a month. (Thanks to Slogger for his kind donation.) Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Nice win int he Debra half marathon,Gary Hynes a nice scalp.

I should have added in my report that hes Just getting back into running...different league if hes fit obviously!

Advertisement