Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday onward, frost, ice returns - snow later

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

the charts indicate a brief return to milder conditions next weekend before we slip back into a cold northwesterly airflow. Looks like the atlantic will ultimately win out but its so far out at this stage that it is not really worth considering. Ultimately, the potential for snow midweek nextw eek is very real - but of course subject to change over the next few runs.

By the way, this snow depth chart for next week. This should be treated with more than a pinch of salt.

uksnowdepth.png

Monday onward-Check
    Frost-check
    Ice returns - check

Wheres the f'ing snow???!!!

Those NW pinks and greens are probably the most unreliable yokes they have on their site in my experience.
    That being 6x24hrs ie a 144 chart,I'd be surprised if it didn't change 4x6...24 times in the interim.

but how and ever,they're pretty!

Unreliable as they are they did not appear on runs of the past 48hrs.

They are somewhat unreliable for lower levels but do give a good indication of activity at higher levels. The charts will change up to Monday there is no doubt. Deep's wish for a glorious send off to our current cold spell could still happen though.

funny_snow_man_suicide_flyer-p2446959407514591252mcvz_400.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

his parents must be very proud! surely wolfe you realise we all make our posts/comments on here for the benefit of owenc and the coleraine community?

Well at least you know I have a better and larger amount of weather. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

owenc wrote: »
    Well at least you know I have a better and larger amount of weather. !!!!

thats about all though! as what better and larger weather means i haven't a notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Havnt been on boards in a few days now, still no change then lads , Still waiting to see those magical words 'Significant Snow'.
    This winter is going down in history as my most iciest yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Pangea wrote: »
    Havnt been on boards in a few days now, still no change then lads , Still waiting to see those magical words 'Significant Snow'.
    This winter is going down in history as my most iciest yet.

I'd settle for the insignificant variety rather than nowt...:cool:

Joe the Bastardi's latest update

FRIDAY NOON Worst of Euro Winter Done

The cold is back, and with it the major storm across Europe from areas southeast of London over the continent, BUT NOT in southeastern Englandmag-glass_10x10.gif. I thought this would be farther north earlier when I posted on the idea of heavy snows in the southeast, but instead this is farther south. One can see how wild this storm is, and I thought the center would ride on the north side of the Alps. Obviously, that is not the case. Hence, the bust on that forecast idea.
    A bad idea is a bad idea, no sugarcoating.
    Obviously, the cold has returned, and the next, perhaps last, shot at major snows (it is going to snow in the southeast of England in a more widespread, though lighter, fashion tonight and tomorrow) is next week, but this looks more like the central and northern part of Great Britainmag-glass_10x10.gif rather than centered around London.
    But in general terms, this pattern is marking the beginning of the end. I look for the areas from Spain to the Balkans to go above normal for the week of the 21st (it's still cold in front of us) and then it's basically back and forth. While March is still colder than normal, it's not as bad against the means as is it has been. At least that is how I see it now.
    For the record, this is the coldest winter in much of Europe since '95-'96, and in the targeted forecast areas for cold, it actually beat '02-'03.

This was a poster winter for my theory on why the globe will cool overall. While the El Nino "spiked" the Earth's temperatures, the natural reversal of oceanic cycles, the low total solar irradiance, and increased volcanic activity, all intangibles to the modeling, formed the center point of the winter idea. The "spike" in the global temperature will quickly be reversed as the El Nino fades, and the next round of cooling will probably send some monthly readings down to or below normal within the next three years.
    The next 20-30 years will test my theory, but at least round one with a practical test of it in the public arena of forecasting in Europe and the U.S. went my way, not the way of the agencies issuing warmer forecasts.
    That being said, the situation this weekend is not as I envisioned... it's farther south, and that needs to be said.
    Ciao for now. *****

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Folk, my view (and it is only my view :)), is that the chances of a major snowfall in Ireland are receding greatly.

We have had about three weeks now of major cold being pushed out and the outlook today is even worse - it will get milder next week with widespread rain for most of the island and temps of 8oC :mad:

I know it can snow in March but I think our "window of opportunity" for snow has really come and passed.

Lets look forward to Spring now and it is quite nice to see that extra stretch of light in the evenings. :)

Derek

derekon wrote: »
    Folk, my view (and it is only my view :)), is that the chances of a major snowfall in Ireland are receding greatly.

We have had about three weeks now of major cold being pushed out and the outlook today is even worse - it will get milder next week with widespread rain for most of the island and temps of 8oC :mad:

I know it can snow in March but I think our "window of opportunity" for snow has really come and passed.

Lets look forward to Spring now and it is quite nice to see that extra stretch of light in the evenings. :)

Derek

yea and whats the point in snow thats going to melt by 10am anyway.. i bet you the south east (ENGLAND) gets 90cm of snow or something annoying next week ugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

derekon wrote: »

Derek
    Now now, it's the 12th of Feb. Let's not get carried away with talk of spring just yet, that's a whole other thread and a good 6 weeks away at least. We're going to eke this out a bit longer if you don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Now now, it's the 12th of Feb. Let's not get carried away with talk of spring just yet, that's a whole other thread and a good 6 weeks away at least. We're going to eke this out a bit longer if you don't mind!

Fair enough, however as the weeks go on the sun will get stronger and melt any lying snow (not that we get much of that anyway!)

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

we can still get decent accumulations up until around the second week of march. yes, it'll melt rapidly by day but it's better than not having any. in other snow-starved years we'd be delighted to have snow at the very end of February into the beginning of March. however, it does look like this year it will be getting much milder by that stage. still, this winter has defied the views of many experts. so it may yet have one final surprise/sting in its tail for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dissapointing winter so far in my area for Snow, lowest snow depths we've had in 3 years. Unless a miracle happens in next 2 weeks thats it for this year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

jebuz all,the charts cant tell us whats going to happen in a few days all winter,so a bit of will and patience and we will get something to talk about :cool:

Do you think if fog lingers and comes tomorrow do you think it would be possible to keep the temps low because i deteste going above 4c it feels roasting and annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Do you think if fog lingers and comes tomorrow do you think it would be possible to keep the temps low because i deteste going above 4c it feels roasting and annoying!

:D:D:D

Do you migrate in the spring??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

AH!!! This reminds me of the epic cold spell discussions in January:D
    Those were the days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_re_us/us_united_states_of_snow

"It just shows that deep down inside, all of us is a weather weenie, a weather fanatic," Marsh said. "This is just an awesome weather event." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

On Wednesday and Thursday I had some frozen pipes.

I'd be happy if spring started early and got the grass growing for the cattle. Would love dry, mild weather and get the ground temperatures up.

I saw enough snow this winter.

• Advertisement

well the meto has forecasted snow for here on wednesday.

Min wrote: »
    On Wednesday and Thursday I had some frozen pipes.

I'd be happy if spring started early and got the grass growing for the cattle. Would love dry, mild weather and get the ground temperatures up.

I saw enough snow this winter.
    Agreed.
    But winter is lurking still.
    It might be Easter but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back for a last hurrah.
    I'm not see'ing anything immediate but ,I do see it lurking.
    We were saved Kents snow by the bell ie by the high.

You need to open an ice bar... (when you grow older)

It was actually -18c when I was there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The forum has gone the way of the weather today... flat and boring lol

Advertisement