Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday onward, frost, ice returns - snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

sleety rain by day with possible snow showers, albeit localised, by night is better than nothing. still it is a pity the gfs charts of a few days ago, which had the potential for a pl to form are nowhere to be seen now. so while the charts may change slightly in our favour again, i doubt we'll see them revert to a massive upgrade in terms of snow for next week.

Well its being selective saying there were 'runs' showing this.

There was only 1 or 2 runs of the GFS that gave us a real not mixing set up. Others looked like they do now and perhaps some thought the synoptic would be colder than the charts actually showed.

I have no changed my mind on where i want this low to track!

I want it to head well southwest of Ireland to tracks in the colder pool.

Gonna be an interesting week next week anyway.

18z shows a very interesting Synoptic set up at 132hrs

A rare one.

Rtavn1321.png

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

What's rare and what would it bring?

I no longer want cold, every time it dips below 5c or so these day, my fingers all dry up and split, very nice :( ~ As a result, I now want Spring!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    What's rare and what would it bring?

I no longer want cold, every time it dips below 5c or so these day, my fingers all dry up and split, very nice :( ~ As a result, I now want Spring!

The massive block stretching from the pole through Greenland and down the middle of the north Atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The massive block stretching from the pole through Greenland and down the middle of the north Atlantic

In laymans terms what would this mean weatherwise for Ireland ? Snowmageddon ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

raining here now and its -1c with a dp of -2c and so im not lying look at ballykelly its 0c explain that i thought we were in dry arctic air! .... anyways thats means snow in only 10% chance of coming next week at this rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Got a good feeling about today's charts. Snow potential has increased in last two runs having been downgraded in the three runs before that. Let's hope the upgrade trend continues. The next GFS run is at 9.30 but will take 90 mins or so to roll out fully. I'll drop a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    raining here now and its -1c with a dp of -2c and so im not lying look at ballykelly its 0c explain that i thought we were in dry arctic air! .... anyways thats means snow in only 10% chance of coming next week at this rate!

You're not in dry artic air i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Ireland set for another cold snap

snowdublinjan08pa.jpg
    12/02/2010 - 08:12:53
    Met Éireann is warning we can expect a stretch of sub-zero temperatures for the next five days.

Bitterly cold temperatures are expected this weekend with sub-zero overnight temperatures.

However - forecasters say we are unlikely to see the extreme snowy or icy conditions which ground the country to a halt last month.

The cold snap is being attributed to a high pressure system moving in sending temperatures to between -3C and -6C in most areas.

The midlands and west will see the lowest temperatures.

Motorists are being urged to take care on the roads where frost could make conditions particularly dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Got a good feeling about today's charts. Snow potential has increased in last two runs having been downgraded in the three runs before that. Let's hope the upgrade trend continues. The next GFS run is at 9.30 but will take 90 mins or so to roll out fully. I'll drop a line.

thanks for the note of optimism wolfe. i see that the met eireann outlook for next week doesn't look too good for any snow/wintry conditions. are the charts an upgrade in the short term or past next Tuesday?

past Tuesday AM Munsterlegend. The midweek period has (since early this week) been the period that presented most potential for snow. It was always going to get milder somewhat on Sunday and Monday, although not significantly so. Fingers crossed for the 9.30 run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'd like to see a stronger gradient on those charts. As they stand the steering winds are too slack to allow the really cold air to reach us in time. There's too much modifcation taking place over the relativley long sea fetch from the north, which will make things too marginal for most (that especially includes you Owenc).

This gradient will be influenced by the degree of retrogression of the high northwestards, so things are hanging in the balance at the moment. We ned to watch the evolution of the northeastern Canadian low over the next day or so for signals as to how far it will cause the high to retrograde.

No upgrade on latest GFS run for next Wednesday afternoon. More tightly packed isobars is good news but made irrelevant by the lack of any direct feed from the East or North. The low over Britain has moved about 50 miles east, which is a continuation of its move east in recent runs. If this continues to a position over the north sea/channel then we might see colder uppers being dragged over Ireland.

At least the run did not downgrade significantly on last night's run. Next run will be 3.30pm.

Maybe Su Campu could explain how that Canadian low effects matters on the most recent run? Would i be correct in saying any progression east or north east of that low would direct colder air from greenland over ireland?

The below 4 charts for Wed afternoon are from the last four runs, starting with the most recent. Note the similarity between the most recent chart and the first chart (from a run yesterday morn).
    h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png
    h850t850eu.png
    h850t850eu.png

So, all hope is not lost edven though up to Wednesday the weather is as dull as dsihwater (for now). Again, wait until Sunday's runs before deciding to buy a rain mac or snowboard midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Firstly, instead of surface isobars we need to look at the 850 and 700hPa heights and temperatures, as these are the gradients that dictate the overall advection of the airmasses. Where the height contours are closest together and the temperature contours cross them at the greatest angle is where the advection will be greatest. So the cold air is advected southwards before it has a chance to become modified by the warmer seas beneath.

We see below that next Wednesday there is no real arctic feed of air towards Ireland. We sit in a circulation pattern, with a slack gradient to our north. There is cold advection taking place near Iceland, but it will miss us to the west, and in any case will quickly modify as it does so, so we wouldn't expect the 850hPa -10°C isotherm to make much more progress southwards from Iceland. Similarly with the 700hPa chart.

132_25.gif

132_26.gif

The position of the high to our northwest, and the low to our east, will influence the strength of these gradients, which is why the amount of retrogression of the high westards in the coming says will be important for us. This retrogression will be influenced by the pattern upstream of it, namely the thermal trough coming off northeastern Canada. If that trough strengthens and stays put, it will strengthen the high and limit its westward movement, meaning a strong pressure differential in the northeast atlantic, ie. a strong gradient, therefore strong cold advection.

If the trough weakens and moves southeastwards, which it is progged to do, then this cuts the warm geopotential feed to the high, weakening it and allowing the high space to move further westards, thereby weakening the gradient and allowing the low to our east to fill. In that case we're in no man's land, with the usual cold-but-not-cold-enough scenario to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

awful frustrating really, but it just reinforces once again how extremely difficult it is for us to get snow. too bad we can't move this country over near russia. as then no matter what's going on in the atmosphere upstream, or the wind direction, we're guaranteed snow most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Do not fear,our soviet snow hoarders have decided to give us snowmageddan.

I admire the very optimistic run.
    No chance.??????

wmc-0-84.png

gfs-0-84.png?6

However not an awful lot of changes need to take place comparing it with GFS.

IF an easterly push of siberian air happens around 80N (Easterly zonal propagation from split vortex)and our ridge does not retrogress as quickly well then who knows.

Just throwing this out there to keep as small bit of interest in occuring situation,a long shot though.

Hoping more than anything,and hope is a fools game.

Nice one Red. You're right about things being able to swing in our favour as much as go aginst us in terms of snow potential. All is not lost.

ps. based on your last comment, you can call me a fool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

awful frustrating really, but it just reinforces once again how extremely difficult it is for us to get snow. too bad we can't move this country over near russia. as then no matter what's going on in the atmosphere upstream, or the wind direction, we're guaranteed snow most of the time.

Nacho, you'll give yourself a hernia thinking like that ;). Do you want us to become all Soviet now? Good grief man, you would sell us like that just to see some snow? Next thing you will want us to become Bolsheviks. Is there nothing you won't do? :P

Unfortunately,in my experience,the soviet model is still run by the central planners and is in a word shoite..pardon my langrell.
    All is lost for the time being tbh,I see no worthwhile signs of decent cold air advection this wayin the next week or 2 anyway.
    Time is moving on.
    I've seen 2 significant snow events in my lifetime in march.On both occasions,the snow hung around for a week.
    So I s'pose if it comes it can still do the job [both of those were Easterlies and the snow was mainly in the south east actually more than 30 years ago :o one of them actually rivaled jan '82 and was just 3 years before it].
    I'm doubtfull though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    we're in no man's land, with the usual cold-but-not-cold-enough scenario to prevail.

We are training you well Su Campu. Stick with us more and we will destroy any little joy and optimisim you have left. This is what Boards.Ie Weather is really about.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

redsunset wrote: »
    Hoping more than anything,and hope is a fools game.

I am sticking with Nacho on this i.e. Applying for planning permission to move Ireland closer to Russia
    105010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Allan K. Chalmers: The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Just about sums it up ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I am sticking with Nacho on this i.e. Applying for planning permission to move Ireland closer to Russia
    105010.jpg

In Soviet Russia planning permission not necessary.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

latest gfs look smuch more promising than previous. will keep u posted

The low system has shifted from east coast of UK to tracking down our west coast

snow potential increases for north and north east in particular. any further progression west of this system bodes well for the rest of the country where snow potential is restricted at present to above 300-400 metres

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

So are we getting snow or not (north remember far north as you seem to forget that..) ???

pink = snow
    blue = rain
    green = sleet

brown = locusts:rolleyes:

prectypeuktopo.png
    prectypeuktopo.png
    prectypeuktopo.png

By the way Owen, you have the manners of a bulldog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

My next door neighbour has a bulldog that licks me all the time !! Owen... keep away !! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pink = snow
    blue = rain
    green = sleet

brown = locusts:rolleyes:

prectypeuktopo.png
    prectypeuktopo.png
    prectypeuktopo.png

his parents must be very proud! surely wolfe you realise we all make our posts/comments on here for the benefit of owenc and the coleraine community?

Advertisement