Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon - Boards Relay Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Regional forecast, met.ie, 06:00 today:
    "A dry start to Bank Holiday Monday but cloud and rain will develop in the afternoon. Freshening, easterly winds will make it feel cool; highest temperatures 13 to 16 degrees Celsius."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think I'll be sporting the latest fashion in bin bags on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Condo131 wrote: »
    Regional forecast, met.ie, 06:00 today:
    "A dry start to Bank Holiday Monday but cloud and rain will develop in the afternoon. Freshening, easterly winds will make it feel cool; highest temperatures 13 to 16 degrees Celsius."

That's perfect really.

robinph wrote: »
    Think I'll be sporting the latest fashion in bin bags on Monday.

+1 will throw one in the gear bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Lovely morning down here, just back from a run in the sun. Weather meant to be cat tomorrow morning though according to Sky News. Catch ye all later

• Advertisement

Weather update:
    Now looking like 12 to 18 mm of rain between 9 and 11am, clearing somewhat until 13:00 and then more rain. :(

.....Thomas!!!....................................:eek:

Edit: 6:20pm. Just seen the weather forecast on RTE.....It's going to rain cats & dogs during the marathon!! TFBubendorfer: I said "don't wish for something...you might actually get it" .....well it looks like you have got your wish... Now the rest of us are going to shelter behind you all the way...like a peleton/indian file!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

rain....oh no...ive nothing cept a running top and a pare of shorts!

ah ill be ok...

checked into the lancaster about three...went and watched the cork kerry game....food later then sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Weather update:
    Now looking like 12 to 18 mm of rain between 9 and 11am, clearing somewhat until 13:00 and then more rain. :(

.....Thomas!!!....................................:eek:

Edit: 6:20pm. Just seen the weather forecast on RTE.....It's going to rain cats & dogs during the marathon!! TFBubendorfer: I said "don't wish for something...you might actually get it" .....well it looks like you have got your wish... Now the rest of us are going to shelter behind you all the way...like a peleton/indian file!!!

Saw that forecast myself, not looking too good !! :eek:

This website shows something different...its usually pretty accurate, one way or another though we will get wet !!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Cork/Cork/hour_by_hour.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

brutal weather but both teams made goal.
    A team 2:55:5x.
    B team 3:27:xx. Both teams delighted. We're off to the pub

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and menescemo made the picture on the front page of the local Cork evening rag.

Was a few too many hill in leg four and a bit too much head wind in leg 5 for me, but it pretty much went to plan for us I think other than that. The plan being to beat the 3hrs pacer home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Congrats to both teams ... some difference in weather today compared to the race last year - 2 extremes!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done :) Great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Someone in a boards top blew past us in the sub 3 group around 15/16m...
    who was that ?

Got a shout from woddle around 17m aswell....strange to hear Sosa being shouted out loud and me reacting

Well as the rest of Team A and B are probably in a bar in Cork singing Elvis songs (i'll mention no names!), i'll inform the masses that Boards A was 17th team and Team B was 112th on the provisional results.

Can everyone now please thanks menoscemo for posting up the times first on the thread, last i heard he was up to 7 'thanks'.

Twas great to meet people from Boards in Cork who i've only known by username beforehand. Good to met ye and have a few socialables with ye.

Anyway, i ran the second leg for Team B which was fine apart from the driving rain and wind until the tunnel. There was no change on it since last year so i knew where i was going after last year's heatwave. Much preferred the rain to the sunshine. Met Condo along the way so tagged along for a chat until before the change to OI. And thankfully the calf held up and we made our target with so well done to my fellow teammates.

CCM Relay
    17 - Boards AC A - 2:55:57
    112 - Boards B - 3:27:45

Not Boards but Honourable Mention ( aka blowing own trumpet) :rolleyes:
    118 - "C Team - Cancer Survivors" - 3:27:51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

We just pipped ye by coming in at 111th - "Tore Andre Flo Says Hello" finished it in 03:27:22! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

CCM Relay
    17 - Boards AC A - 2:55:57

Not Boards but Honourable Mention ( aka blowing own trumpet) :rolleyes:
    118 - "C Team - Cancer Survivors" - 3:27:51

Yeah you all joined in with your final team member just as I was coming over the bridge. Whoever was closest to me got a pat on the back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great day had by all yesterday. I ran my two legs in 76 minutes which I'm absolutely over the moon about - just before I set off I said to the others there wasn't a chance I was going to go sub 80 but perfect RQ running conditions of rain, wind and misery and the fact the distance was over 10k meant I just took off. Ended up pacing a random marathoner around for a sub 3:30 marathon so slowed a bit to help him keep with me and got he got over the line about 5 seconds after me having stuck with me the whole way.

2 great team performances. Both teams reached their goals of sub 3:00 and sub 3:30 now both team captains just have to do the same times on their own, in a full marathon. :D

P.s a lot of people are going to have sore heads this morning and we have some AMAZING dancers on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Sosa wrote: »
    Someone in a boards top blew past us in the sub 3 group around 15/16m...
    who was that ?

Got a shout from woddle around 17m aswell....strange to hear Sosa being shouted out loud and me reacting
    That was me!. "Blown" being exactly what happening to me most of that leg. Very rough by the marina.The worst was over though by the time I caught the 3 hour pace group. Congrats on the sub 3 especially in those conditions.

Robinph's top tip for running fast is:

Don't touch the ground.

Thanks to Woddle and his fast trigger finger for catching the action. :D

I decided to ignore the first picture in the set where a heel did touch the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Just found this one.....

4678818970_f0797e0eb8.jpg

^That is a cool picture with the castle in the background.

Just found this one.....

4678818970_f0797e0eb8.jpg

As mate, thanks so much for this, I love it. Are both of those feet off the ground? It's touch and go isn't it?

I think there is definately air under that left shoe.

robinph wrote: »
    I think there is definately air under that left shoe.

Cheers Robin, could be a first for OI

Good man OI, i like the way you're straight up into the wind and rain while everyone else has their head down.

So this proves that Boards people can defy nature.:D

Boards AC - A crossing the line:

02.55.56.fl%5B800x600%5D.JPG

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Good man OI, i like the way you're straight up into the wind and rain while everyone else has their head down.

So this proves that Boards people can defy nature.:D

It's just bad running technique really, be honest :D

Advertisement