Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon - Boards Relay Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Had a visit with the physio today. Calf is torned but not badly so Edinburgh is gone til 2011 but plan to do my damnest to be ok for Cork to chase menoscemo through the Tunnel:D

Confined to gentle running on grass, exercise and heat/ice and slowly going mental.

As of now, Chinguetti will run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    but plan to do my damnest to be ok for Cork to chase menoscemo through the Tunnel:D

With that horrible image in my head, I am switching to leg 1 :D:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    So is chinguetti still in with his injury? If he is in I can either take my car or the train, but if Aimman is drafted in he has already offered a second lift.

I don't mind getting the train but the prices aren't as cheap with the weekend thats in it unless you get the 7am trains or something. Trains are 20 each way at the cheapest for normal person hours.

I don't mind getting the train but the prices aren't as cheap with the weekend thats in it unless you get the 7am trains or something. Trains are 20 each way at the cheapest for normal person hours.

No worries. If the train prices don't come down, I can be a second driver. Just as long as no-one expects me to be driving back too early on the tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm going for the train, €20 each way is fine by me and I need to be down there by lunchtime on the Sunday for family stuff... I'm figuring 10am on Sunday and 1230 back on Tues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I am going to be in Mullingar for most of the weekend but will drive down very early on Monday and then spend the night in Cork.
    Robin - what time do you think we need to meet up on race morning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have not yet thought about the times we'd need to be at the changeovers for actually. Would need to allow time for getting the bus out to the changeovers from the City Hall(?) and exchanging bags with whoever you are taking over the relay from and give your bag of supplies to whoever your handing over to, me. We should each get a little kit bag for those changeovers with the number pick up the day before.

Last year I was at the first changeover and I think the buses dropped us all out there before the 9am start so there was quite a while hanging around before the runners actually came by. Will have to check if here are any times listed in the pdf on the Cork Marathon website for each change point.

I've booked into the Lancaster now too, was waiting for my credit card bill to come through and of course the price went up today... Already getting excited :)

Are people up for a dinner on Sunday night then? If I can get numbers I'll book a table in Luigi Malones. If Luigi Malones is good for others?

Edit: Main menu is HERE someone else might be able to recommend another place?

Are people up for a dinner on Sunday night then? If I can get numbers I'll book a table in Luigi Malones. If Luigi Malones is good for others?

count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Luigi's is fine for me RQ also.

Anyone from Cork who may know of a good stop for hungry runners apart from Luigi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Is everyone going to be wearing a boards singlet?
    Should we consider green wigs so we can pick our team member out from the crowd? I am half serious here. I ran the Cork marathon (my first) 2 years ago and an awful lot of time was wasted as runners tried to find their relay partners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm in for a bit of Luigis as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Luigi's is a great spot. Think they even sell the German Weissbier beer there. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

^ nothing like a few pints of weissbier to relax the night before a marathon:).

Count me in for Luigi's as well RQ, good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I'll pass on Luigi's - 'twould be risky race prep for me, but hope to meet up with you guys post-race.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Count me in for Luigis aswell RQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I'm doing my 2nd Dublin marathon in October.. My first one was really only to train to lose weight (much needed) and secondly to kick the ciggys..

My training was a bit of a sham to be honest, run when i felt like it and what not and it took me 5.27 to complete the marathon.

This time round i want it to be different, i'm a bit fitter, lighter and have not had a smoke since the last Thursday in August.

Can someone please post up a link for a proper training schedule that can help me improve this time. I did look but couldn't find one.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

mithril wrote: »
    Is everyone going to be wearing a boards singlet?
    Should we consider green wigs so we can pick our team member out from the crowd? I am half serious here. I ran the Cork marathon (my first) 2 years ago and an awful lot of time was wasted as runners tried to find their relay partners.

We considered* this (well, helium balloon with the guy receiving the baton**) last year. But to be honest if it is a serious bid for 3hrs the field will be well spread out AND you will know the approx. (within a min or two)arrival time of your teammate.
    It shouldn't be a problem.

Although, we all had Boards AC singlets.

*I suggested it, but is was taken as a joke :o.
    **wristband

Add your name if you want to join us.

Luigis carb loading
    RacoonQueen
    menoscemo
    chinguetti
    robinph
    Brianderunner
    OI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Luigis carb loading
    RacoonQueen
    menoscemo
    chinguetti
    robinph
    Brianderunner
    OI
    woddle

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Luigis carb loading
    RacoonQueen
    menoscemo
    chinguetti
    robinph
    Brianderunner
    OI
    woddle
    RAL3

Luigis carb loading
    RacoonQueen
    menoscemo
    chinguetti
    robinph
    Brianderunner
    OI
    woddle
    RAL3
    xebec

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Should be good craic. I'm assuming it's a night of abstenence from alcohol. No one sneaking out of their hotel rooms or RQ and robinph will be hunting you down. Card school anyone?

I managed to get away with a couple of pints of that Cork version of Guinness the night before last year, and then followed that up with a nice fry up for breakfast from the B&B we were staying in the next morning without getting in too much trouble with Woddle. There were some questions over my pre-race fueling strategy though, but it worked for me. :D

I'll be leaving RQ to keep the troops in order at the hotel though as I escape to the B&B in the wilds of Cork city to get a good nights kip the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

OI wrote: »
    Should be good craic. I'm assuming it's a night of abstenence from alcohol. No one sneaking out of their hotel rooms or RQ and robinph will be hunting you down. Card school anyone?
    Hotel rooms and combinations;) I'm saying NOTHING yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Luigis carb loading
    RacoonQueen
    menoscemo
    chinguetti
    robinph
    Brianderunner
    OI
    woddle
    RAL3
    xebec
    sarsfieldsrock

I assume it is not just for relay members and I can tag along for the crack?
    Good idea by the way!

I assume it is not just for relay members and I can tag along for the crack?
    Good idea by the way!

Yep, I did pop into the full marathon thread to invite them along too. I'm the friendly sort...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yep, I did pop into the full marathon thread to invite them along too. I'm the friendly sort...

Good Idea, and at the end of it, leave earlier, point to them and say to the waiter "they're paying". Like you're thinking! lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

I'll pass too RQ, but def on for meeting up after if ye're heading somewhere for drinks !

Advertisement