Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon - Boards Relay Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

robinph wrote: »
    Yep, good work on the persuading OI in for the B team. :D

Is there anyone else we can target for the A-Team?

Maybe someone who lives down that neck of the woods?? Any Ideas anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woddle wrote: »
    Are people staying over the day of the race, just curious as last year we didn't.

I think I'd be up for an excuse for some post race beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

+1, invited as a former team captain...:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome OI and I'm in the same boat as yourself, so don't be worrying, I'm just going for the crack. Are people staying over the day of the race, just curious as last year we didn't.

Of course, whats the point in going in a big group if we're staying sober.

I wonder if we can still get a team C....

robinph wrote: »
    I think I'd be up for an excuse for some post race beers.

I'd be happy to stay down the monday night to celebrate. Should be able to take the day off.

• Advertisement

RoyMcC wrote: »
    +1, invited as a former team captain...:)

Great stuff. Now I call one off the short, flat legs :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Ah ragin I'm missing this now! Sounds like it will be great craic. Only arriving back in Dublin from USA the morning of the race sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'll be heading back to the big smoke after the race but i can hang around for a glass of tap water. Does Volcano Ash have the ability to close roads too?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I am staying over as well, in Jury's Inn which is fairly central.
    I had a bad experience previously when I nearly fell asleep while driving home exhausted so anyone going home after the race should be cautious.

I can also run an extra leg at sub 3 hour pace if we are short of numbers, but I would prefer to see as many runners as possible on the team.

OI I can put you down for leg 3 of our team if thats ok with you. I haven't heard back from Shels yet so I'm trying to keep 4 free in case I need to run it myself.

Edit: menoscemo and I were talking about us all booking into the same hotel or hotels next to each other even? I might head down on the Sunday and leave on the Tuesday if anyone wants a pasta dinner the night before.

• Advertisement

Edit: menoscemo and I were talking about us all booking into the same hotel or hotels next to each other even? I might head down on the Sunday and leave on the Tuesday if anyone wants a pasta dinner the night before.

Sounds good. Let me know what you are booking and I will do the same. Maybe the Jury's as Mithril mentions above? I will also volunteer for lifts down to cork from the big shmoke (or should we get the train?)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

OI I can put you down for leg 3 of our team if thats ok with you. I haven't heard back from Shels yet so I'm trying to keep 4 free in case I need to run it myself.

yep, leg 3 sounds great. Is everyone staying both nights? I was thinking of travelling down on the Monday morning, then staying Monday night. But I'm open to ideas

OI wrote: »
    yep, leg 3 sounds great. Is everyone staying both nights? I was thinking of travelling down on the Monday morning, then staying Monday night. But I'm open to ideas

I'd say a lot of people will be going down on the Monday. I'm open to either as I won't be the one driving so I can sleep on the way down. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would be an early start on Monday. :eek:

I'll be planning on getting down there the day before, and if people are having a couple of beverages to recover afterwards then staying on the Monday as well.

I'll stick out A-Team entry in tomorrow afternoon incase we have any last minute ideas of someone else to rope in to join us, nobody else is allowed to drop out though. ;)

Staying down the monday night is the main thing ;)
    I will head down on the sunday for handiness. I guess RQ will be getting a lift... who else is in the south/west Dublin area? Woddle?

Well I'm happy to get a train, they're very cheap these days. :)

Well I'm happy to get a train, they're very cheap these days. :)

I just spent the last 15 minutes pulling my hair out trying to check the prices of bloody trains from Heuston to Cork. I was clicking everywhere but nothing happened, then I read the part that says you can't make bookings more than 28 days before departure :rolleyes:
    Anyway I see the standard return is €76, no way I am paying that. If we can get some of them cheap offers I heard about on the radio I'm on for the train, otherwise I'll be available for lifts.

Anyway so what are we doing for hotels?

The train should cost between 20 and 30 euro return. I paid 20 for a return ticket to Limerick at the weekend it's the same pricing for Cork and Galway.

I stayed in the Lancaster Lodge last time I was in Cork, in 2008 there's a Jury's right beside the Lancaster not sure if it's the one Mithril is in or not. Lancaster was alright, near the city centre, bed and breakfast, clean, quiet etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'll be heading down on Saturday morning as have a few friends to visit in Cork but i'll be up for the hotel idea, grub and drinks on Sunday night.

I'll be heading back on Monday night via the new motorway and i get to avoid Abbeyleix and the tailbacks. Hurrah

Yeah i could stay for two nights, i stayed in juries on the quay before, think it has a different name now. €85 per night

• Advertisement

Yeah i could stay for two nights, i stayed in juries on the quay before, think it has a different name now. €85 per night

Just checked http://corkhotels.jurysinns.com/
    All rooms (singles twins doubles etc) are €129 per night for those two nights so €65pp per night for a twin. I'll book if you don't mind sharing

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just checked http://corkhotels.jurysinns.com/
    All rooms (singles twins doubles etc) are €129 per night for those two nights so €65pp per night for a twin. I'll book if you don't mind sharing

that's sound

Scrap that ^^^^^
    lancaster lodge http://www.lancasterlodge.com/ is only €150 for a twin room for the two nights so under €40 pp per night.
    It's 4 stars and just down from the Jury's and RQ recommended it :D

Jaysus that's a great price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yep I'll be going down on the Sunday and staying Monday night. I'm also giving out lifts, I'll have to give robinph first refusal as I owe him for 1/2 a hotel room :D
    Also it should be noted that any speeding tickets should be paid by all :D and not just the driver

It's not strictly a hotel though, more a hotel shaped guest house. They provide brekkie but not dinner but sure we'd probably be out for dinner anyway. I'm probably going to book in there again anyway.

Actually the one I was looking at was called the Leeside Hotel and was €85 per night for a twin room aswell. But the Lancaster is better again. If we could get all of us in there now it would be great. I see where there is shuttle buses from City Hall to bring you to you start point in the relay. It looks really well organized.

Jaysus that's a great price

Right I'll book it in the morn if no-one has any better ideas before then.

Yep I'll be going down on the Sunday and staying Monday night. I'm also giving out lifts, I'll have to give robinph first refusal as I owe him for 1/2 a hotel room :D
    Also it should be noted that any speeding tickets should be paid by all :D and not just the driver

Sure we'll see who is going closer the time. No need for two cars if one will do...where are you lads staying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm happy to go with the flow and book tomorrow aswell

Advertisement