Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I've just been trying out the playback of a few avi files from the internal 1TB harddrive this evening and while the sound quality is perfect the video is quite jumpy at times. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Would the media player playback quality be different between different images or not? (Currently running vix 2.0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

dnme wrote: »
    Guys I need help.

I have been trying to setup my VU+ Duo with Vix 2.0 for 24 hours now. It keeps crashing to the green screen on me. Everytime I do something, I run into new problems.

Tonight I added a HDD. The box sees it, then doesn't see it then crashes. I have just now restarted again. Clean install of Vix 2.0. Ran a channel scan and right at the end it crashed again. It's actually a bit sickening. I'm terrified to touch it at this stage.

Can anyone post a quick guide as to the order in which to do stuff during a fresh install? I have a Win-T usb key for DTT and two satellite tuner cables plugged in.

Any help at this stage would be so appreciated. Is it me or is this very unstable software?

EDIT: Also I notice, I have HDD installed, Devices Manager sees it ok, as soon as I plug in a USB pen drive, Devices Manager no longer sees the HDD. Mother of god

I've had no problems.
    The image is the most stable I've had.
    I would start off by formatting your new HD within the stock vu+ image. Also your USb stick.
    then reflashing.
    You ahve to mount the disks within the new VIX image.
    Have you traced what you do when you get a green screen? That would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

gambiaman wrote: »
    I've had no problems.
    The image is the most stable I've had.
    I would start off by formatting your new HD within the stock vu+ image. Also your USb stick.
    then reflashing.
    You ahve to mount the disks within the new VIX image.
    Have you traced what you do when you get a green screen? That would be a start.

Many thanks for the reply. I sorted out some of the issues by taking out the HDD and formatting it on a Windows PC, same for USB key. Why can't the VU+Duo do that? It can't even see the disk unless it's formatted elsewhere, it just makes me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

@dnme
    after reflash before scanning or doing any extras {including plugging in usb dtt stick etc.} go to menu/setup/system/harddisk/initialization and press ok}

when that is finished restart. then when started press blue and select vix/devices manager. if hdd is not mounted as hdd then press red to mount as hdd. then insert your usb and setup.

@trogdor
    it is unfortunately a restriction by vu+ official drivers and hence the same issues exist accross all images until the manufacturers release better drivers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

rurs wrote: »
    Is the audio in DTS format? I don't think this is supported in base firmware.
    Yes, you're right, it has DTS audio.

I guess it's impossible so without a codec or something, which I'd doubt is available.

irishchris wrote: »
    @dnme
    after reflash before scanning or doing any extras {including plugging in usb dtt stick etc.} go to menu/setup/system/harddisk/initialization and press ok}

when that is finished restart. then when started press blue and select vix/devices manager. if hdd is not mounted as hdd then press red to mount as hdd. then insert your usb and setup.

Chris
    Vix does not even see a disk, so none of the above is possible. Disk has to be connected to a pc and formatted as fat32 first.

After a scan, my box crashed to green screen

After software update, it ends up in infinite loop at file - removing.

It just seems so unstable, it lacks usability feedback in many places. i.e. initialize disk - when invoked you get no status feedback. you are left guessing.

There are duplication menus for disk management. One in system and one in vix. Which one to use? Vix I assume?

I'm just wondering if others are experiencing this or is it me? (and it may well be). If it is me, then what am I doing wrong?

dnme, you should open new thread on uk home site, thats where development team hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Speaking of new threads - do you think maybe it's time for us to split this thread off into a few different ones, so that new vu+ owners know where to read to get the most concise and current instructions, and those that are further along the (steep!) curve can maybe collaborate on various posts to put into those new-owner thread(s)?

Like, a few of the things I'd like more instructions on are (and possibly these exist over on world-of-satellite.something but, let's do our own set and help more boardsies escape sly and upc!

- how to create your own bouquet with a mix of Irish DTT and sat channels (and how, in dreamedit, to set up different bqts for different users)

- how to navigate the media player (and other fxns) with the coloured/fxn buttons

- good plugins and tips on them (eg 7 day epg/youtube/browser/photo slideshow)

etc etc - maybe the vu+ threads in the forum could just be tagged with [vu+] ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I wanted to reduce the number of programmes I had saved on the internal hard disk so I decided to archive the ones I wanted to save for another day. The only format I found which worked on an external hard drive was ext3. An ntfs formatted drive would show up as read only in the filebrowser. Has any one else had this experience?

I formatted a disk as ext3 and I now have about 300mb of archived HD and SD programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

Mount the duo then reboot and it will be there okay mate.

Guys I need help.

I have been trying to setup my VU+ Duo with Vix 2.0 for 24 hours now. It keeps crashing to the green screen on me. Everytime I do something, I run into new problems.

Tonight I added a HDD. The box sees it, then doesn't see it then crashes. I have just now restarted again. Clean install of Vix 2.0. Ran a channel scan and right at the end it crashed again. It's actually a bit sickening. I'm terrified to touch it at this stage.

Can anyone post a quick guide as to the order in which to do stuff during a fresh install? I have a Win-T usb key for DTT and two satellite tuner cables plugged in.

Any help at this stage would be so appreciated. Is it me or is this very unstable software?

EDIT: Also I notice, I have HDD installed, Devices Manager sees it ok, as soon as I plug in a USB pen drive, Devices Manager no longer sees the HDD. Mother of god

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Offer_asking

i need help bought vu+ trying to set up using usal. can someone direct what are the longitude and latitude setting are around tallaght area. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

i need help bought vu+ trying to set up using usal. can someone direct what are the longitude and latitude setting are around tallaght area. thanks

Go to www.dishpointer.com, zoom in to the location of your dish, drop a marker and the long&lat are listed underneath the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

Latitude: 53.3213°
    Longitude: -6.2670°

Name: True South / True North
    Distance: 38696km

Motor Latitude: 53.3°
    Declination Angle: 7.6°
    Dish Elevation: --°
    Elevation: 29.1°
    Azimuth (true): 180.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): 184.3°
    LNB Skew [?]: -0.0°
    Turn counter-clockwise standing behind the dishTurn clockwise standing behind the dish
    Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°
    Turn counter-clockwise standing behind the dishTurn clockwise standing behind the dish

Does anyone know of any bouquets for the freesat channels only on 28.2? (Any ones i've tried have sky channels included)

Here's mine, tell me if it suits you.

Here's mine, tell me if it suits you.

Perfect!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

irishchris wrote: »
    my skin is finally ready after weeks of coding. can be downloaded from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6928-IrishChris-Retro-skin&p=52723#post52723
    @Irishchris
    Just installed your skin and I must say, Fantastic work! I particularly love the fact that it provides AGC info!
    All in all a great skin that will be my default from now on ;)
    Only thing I'd request if possible is a HD version?
    It could be just my own preference.....
    But I prefer my infobar across the whole screen, similar to the Aluminium HD skin(for coverage/Font sizes)
    But thank you for this!
    It will make my lnb fiddling a lot simpler Satfinder in previous Skins I used only gave SNR data ;-)

VIX 2.1 Released,
    Needs a full reflash rather than online updates, integrated autotimer(Series link)looks great
    Get it here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?7416-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2.1-24-03-2011&p=55700#post55700

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gan23

Looks like they haved added drivers for the aver media volar black HD dtt stick. Havent used it since the old dream elite image. will test it over the weekend. these sticks are quite cheap too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Banie01

Whats different on the autotimer in 2.1 compared to 2.0.

D

banie01 wrote: »
    VIX 2.1 Released,
    Needs a full reflash rather than online updates, integrated autotimer(Series link)looks great
    Get it here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?7416-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2.1-24-03-2011&p=55700#post55700

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

gan23 wrote: »
    Looks like they haved added drivers for the aver media volar black HD dtt stick. Havent used it since the old dream elite image. will test it over the weekend. these sticks are quite cheap too

Please do let us know how that volar stick performs as its supported on black hole. I'm using win tv but its very hit and miss.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Please do let us know how that volar stick performs as its supported on black hole. I'm using win tv but its very hit and miss.

Will do,
    It was pretty good when I was using it, besides the old lipsync issues. I think they were Vu+ driver issues though. Its been a few months but i remeber recording three channels at once from DTT and watching a sat channel no prob. Didnt try anything too hardcore like six channels from the one mux or anything like that.
    I have been waiting patiently for vix to add support for this so I will report back as soon as I get it setup, will be over the weekend at some stage.

dfdream wrote: »
    Banie01

Whats different on the autotimer in 2.1 compared to 2.0.

D

The autotimer can be accessed from quickzap now, so from quickzap(Now and Next) you can hit blue and set up an autotimer with just 2 button presses.
    Almost as quick as sky +!!! ;)

No RTE2 since I upgraded, anyone else?

Cannot get the Volar HD Black to work - this is what I am doing, if sequence is wrong can someone advise?

Flash new image
    ccam.cfg transferred
    bouquets transferred
    *reboot*
    setup ccam
    *reboot*
    download corrct dvb plugin
    *reboot*
    plugin actual dtt usb stick
    *reboot*
    look for it in service settings
    No recognition of stick

Thanks

PS Thanks for new image!

Cannot get the Volar HD Black to work - this is what I am doing, if sequence is wrong can someone advise?

Flash new image
    ccam.cfg transferred
    bouquets transferred
    *reboot*
    setup ccam
    *reboot*
    download corrct dvb plugin
    *reboot*
    plugin actual dtt usb stick
    *reboot*
    look for it in service settings
    No recognition of stick

Thanks

PS Thanks for new image!

nova-t and sundtek are the only two dvb tuners working on vix 2.1

stanley1 wrote: »
    nova-t and sundtek are the only two dvb tuners working on vix 2.1

So the driver provided for the Avermedia Volar Black HD in plugins isn't working at all?

I did manage to see it brefly as Tuner C but after another reboot, it disappeared! (the stick is not damaged, took it in a working state from PC running Media Centre and picking up all Irish DTT fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

So the driver provided for the Avermedia Volar Black HD in plugins isn't working at all?

)

Yes, it looks like that the case. I have had no success with it either. Maybe Irishchris can update us on what the situation is?

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Yes, it looks like that the case. I have had no success with it either.

feck it anyway... I was about to reflash and try my stick before i saw the last few posts.
    Have to admit though i wasnt really looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement