Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

After some testing its the EPG refresh plugin that is causing this. I'm using a graphical epg and it does not seem to fill all the listings correctly. The PIP seems to change channels every few mins too.

@ Rurs may I ask what epg tools you are using and do they work ok for you on black hole image ?

rurs wrote: »
    I've never seen that, what times have you got epg update set for?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Tony wrote: »
    @ Rurs may I ask what epg tools you are using and do they work ok for you on black hole image ?

I started off adding cooltv, merlin epg etc, but I've ditched all those now and am just using the stock tools. But I've manually added satmate as the epg source, instead of rytec, as it seems to cover more channels, with more in depth descriptions. There are a couple of channels missing, hopefully they get added soon.

I'm using the quickbutton plugin, and have long blue mapped to Graphic Multi EPG. Now that I've got used to this, and the Single & Multi EPG, it's all quite quick and easy to use.

Which plugin exactly is giving you grief?

I haven't really used PIP, so I can't comment there.

Thanks for the info. In the plug in menu I have EPG refresh and I added graphical EPG ,with Rytec and Sky Uk as sources. When I use long blue I get a list from which I can select graphic epg and then I have have to select the boquet I've set up. The PIP is also in the long blue list, when EPG refresh starts doing its thing the PIP starts also. So far it has not filled the info on all the channels even though both sky uk and rytec say they are downloading ok.

I started off adding cooltv, merlin epg etc, but I've ditched all those now and am just using the stock tools. But I've manually added satmate as the epg source, instead of rytec, as it seems to cover more channels, with more in depth descriptions. There are a couple of channels missing, hopefully they get added soon.

I'm using the quickbutton plugin, and have long blue mapped to Graphic Multi EPG. Now that I've got used to this, and the Single & Multi EPG, it's all quite quick and easy to use.

Which plugin exactly is giving you grief?

I haven't really used PIP, so I can't comment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭irishchris

Guys in terms of epg there is no competition to cross epg. Simply select crossepg 28.2 source only and it fills in EVERY channel in my channel list for uk. Also there are no conflicts with autotimers with this as the names of programs stays consistently the same unlike rytec which sometimes has capitals in programs name and sometimes puts (t) after it meaning autotimer does not pick it up

Thanks Chris, cross epg does not show up in the software list on Black Hole, is there a tutorial anywhere to show how this can be done manually ?

irishchris wrote: »
    Guys in terms of epg there is no competition to cross epg. Simply select crossepg 28.2 source only and it fills in EVERY channel in my channel list for uk. Also there are no conflicts with autotimers with this as the names of programs stays consistently the same unlike rytec which sometimes has capitals in programs name and sometimes puts (t) after it meaning autotimer does not pick it up

• Advertisement

Thanks Chris, cross epg does not show up in the software list on Black Hole, is there a tutorial anywhere to show how this can be done manually ?
    hi mate, sorry did not see that you were using blackhole. i was referring to vix asd openpli. in vix crossepg is incorporated into image and openpli it also works but has to be installed manually. you could try manual install and see if it works in blackhole.
    link here: http://code.google.com/p/crossepg/downloads/detail?name=enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-crossepg-oe1.6_0.6.0-svn-177_mipsel.ipk&can=2&q=

copy the file to var/tmp and telnet box

type "ipkg install /tmp/*.ipk" without the "

reboot box and see if it shows up in either extension/plugins or on the main menu button.

if not then may be incompatible with blackhole images.

let me know how you get on mate

Thanks Chris I'll give that a try. Just installed Nova T stick and seems to be working ok

Edit: Nova T stopped working after a time. Seems to be replcating Bytes experience. Re booting has not helped

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Tony I too tried Nova-t last week on BH to see if there was any difference.

I found BH hard to find anything but eventually got it sorted the way I wanted. Epg / Plugins etc. after 3-4 reboots to install stuff I went to DTT channel and it was black. I wasnt even recording anything. It had worked ok (I did no recording though) and I was shocked to see issue so early so went back to my VIX backup.

Ive now changed all dtt recordings to SAT and will leave them there until I get sundtek.

BTW - Stock in Sundtek is running late by upto a week, they will know for certain tomorrow.

BH reminds me how lazy VIX and PLI are making us...

D
    Thanks Chris I'll give that a try. Just installed Nova T stick and seems to be working ok

Edit: Nova T stopped working after a time. Seems to be replcating Bytes experience. Re booting has not helped

Thanks for the info. In the plug in menu I have EPG refresh and I added graphical EPG ,with Rytec and Sky Uk as sources. When I use long blue I get a list from which I can select graphic epg and then I have have to select the boquet I've set up. The PIP is also in the long blue list, when EPG refresh starts doing its thing the PIP starts also. So far it has not filled the info on all the channels even though both sky uk and rytec say they are downloading ok.

So you're not using the built-in epg tools,but have added epg refresh plugin?

If you short press blue then red you'll get the config screen for BH epg.
    RYTEC_UK is there in the default list, (also SkyUk, for this to work I think you have to enable OpenTV loader, this pulls it in from sat), you can also add other sources, this where I added satmate-uk.

What's the benefit of the epg refresh plugin?

I've disabled EPG refeesh as as far as I can tell its downloading now and next for each individual channel only by tuning in to each one. I've set up rytec and sky uk, rytec seems to downlaod very quickly and finish so I'm just going through the paths were it saves to see if they are all correct, re booting seem to take forever. Sky UK downloads all the titles and data but does not fill the info even on the single EPG. I've reformatted the USB and will reprt back if I can get this working.

Do you have the settings for satmate handy? might try this also

Thanks again for the replies

So you're not using the built-in epg tools,but have added epg refresh plugin?

If you short press blue then red you'll get the config screen for BH epg.
    RYTEC_UK is there in the default list, (also SkyUk, for this to work I think you have to enable OpenTV loader, this pulls it in from sat), you can also add other sources, this where I added satmate-uk.

What's the benefit of the epg refresh plugin?

• Advertisement

Ok re checked all the paths and now Rytec UK seems to be working ok after two green screens. Some progress at last :)

@rurs is using a swap file to the HDD necessary or have you bothered with it?

I have a 64mb swap on USB, I really don't know enough to say whether this is right or not. It never seems to get used though, ie any time I check system info, swap file in use is 0%. It's something I'd like to find out, what's the best size andlocation for swap...

To add satmate, short blue, short red, yellow. For server just put in a descriptive name, then type in "http://hqsatellite.com/satmate/skyuk_epg.dat.gz" without quotes at epg dat url. It might take a reboot to clear out any previous entries from Rytec, again I'm not totally sure on the wisdom of having more than one active.

I'm going to give crossepg a go, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Rurs

I have a 64mb swap on USB, I really don't know enough to say whether this is right or not. It never seems to get used though, ie any time I check system info, swap file in use is 0%. It's something I'd like to find out, what's the best size andlocation for swap...

speed to hdd is quicker speed transfer so is good in that sense but makes hdd continuously spin. i always prefer usb for that reason and if you have a high speed usb stick then is very little difference between them. i have a 96mb swap enabled but rarely uses above 20mb. i have checked this usage regularly during beta testing and it is used quite a bit usually around 5-10 mb on and off.

ps to see the memory and swap usage telnet to box and type free

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My Nova-T has been faultless since my previous post.

After a full reboot, I made a 96MB swapfile to the USB pendrive. I dunno if that was the reason, but the Nova has been fine since.

Thanks , will try that tomorrow

byte wrote: »

After a full reboot, I made a 96MB swapfile to the USB pendrive. I dunno if that was the reason, but the Nova has been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

Byte, is that with Vix or OpenPli?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

You have a serious issue with your box if you need a 96mb swapfile !
    How often does the swap get used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'm hoping to get one of these this week and i'm planning on a long, lost weekend of frustration.:cool:

In terms of additional hardware, i'm going to get a DTT stick at some stage, i have a hard drive. Is there anything else vital from a hardware point of view?

Is it a good idea to have a wifi adaptor, to allow for EPG updates for example?

I would say an internet connection is a must have for this box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Agree with Tony. Don't consider using it without an internet connection. You lose most of the benefits to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I had a couple of lockups of DTT with my Nova-T, but I had been sending updates of my bouquets from the channel editor with just enigma2 restarts. Full reboot yesterday evening, and seems stable so far. I have the latest updates from vix installed, and nova-T is the only plugin installed apart from the ones that ship with vix.
    Hopefully others with the nova-t can keep us all posted on stability (or otherwise) with that tuner... will do so myself...

after installing a swap file to the USB and re booting Nova T seems ok so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any other fix for my hard initialise problem other than load up the default image.

Have you set mountpoints after formatting eg /media/hdd/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    You have a serious issue with your box if you need a 96mb swapfile !
    How often does the swap get used ?
    96MB is just the size I chose, since there's plenty of room on the pendrive.

I dunno how much/little the swapfile is used tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

In the normal run of things the Nova-t records a single DTT program OK but it seems that if you push it then it causes issues.

A good test is record ITV hd and BBC HD and watch dtt channel.
    You should normally see pixelation on the DTT Channel.

I might have 3 recordings (2 sat & 1dtt) going at the same time and your sure to have either issues on the DTT on playback or black screen on the DTT channel or on all DTT channels.

I would regularly have 2 recordings going at once and with DTT not stable it means that I would have no spare tuner to watch something else.

D

fmul9798 wrote: »
    I had a couple of lockups of DTT with my Nova-T, but I had been sending updates of my bouquets from the channel editor with just enigma2 restarts. Full reboot yesterday evening, and seems stable so far. I have the latest updates from vix installed, and nova-T is the only plugin installed apart from the ones that ship with vix.
    Hopefully others with the nova-t can keep us all posted on stability (or otherwise) with that tuner... will do so myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

got my hard drive working.

flashed the default image, initialised the drive and spent the evening putting vix back on and all my stuff back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

anyone manage to get nova-t working on latest pli image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

irishchris wrote: »
    was looked at for this release but was bit of prob with it so one for future release

reading the vuplus forum looks like my Avermedia A850 stick won't be compatible anytime soon :(
    Sure it was cheap enough, I'll keep reading here to see if the Nova gets over the problems it appears to be having with vix

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement