Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Sorry - forgot to mention I also have a swapfile of 96M on my HDD and am using the magic HD skin.

and as irishchris said I didnt get any problems, whatsover. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

The pixeling started 20 mins into the first recording.

After 40-45 mins both DTT recordings stopped and the DTT channels were black.

See attachments.

Screenshot 3 is memory with 50mb swap on USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

dfdream wrote: »

See attachments.

I dunno....this has all the hall marks of a memory leak, what do you think?

You couldn't better the temptation to post the screen shots on Vix....LOL.

No will power.

Well done though (those extra screens in Vix make skins a daunting task).

Thinking of ordering Sundtek media pro today... Do you have discount coupon ?

I know you got on well with the nova-t but judging on my experience and the comments here I think there is something missing in Nova-t thats ok in Sundtek. (especially on Sundteks willingness to help on drivers and support)

D

irishchris wrote: »
    hi guys

extensively tested this tonight with sundtek and have no issues whatsoever have tried having 3 hd recordings at once {rte2hd dtt + bbc one hd + rte 2 sat} left running for an hour an no issue of pixelation or problem of any sort. checked recordings after and no glitching or probs.

going to test the nova t now

can everyone try this tonight that has issues:
    record one hd sat
    record rte2 upscaled hd channel on dtt
    record sd second sat channel

leave for 10 mins and check for probs during record and check recordings.

then do same as above but instead of last option of an sd channel change to recording a 2nd hd channel and report here of any issues. screenshots would be great and any crashlogs if for some reason it crashes. also report what skins you guys using and system details eg swap file used and what sized.
    also if you guys could telnet the box during recording and issue the command free and keep post the results here and also the command top and report also the top 3 of the list it will give here.

screenshots attached for info purpose from when i tested sundtek. also this was with my not yet released skin so depending on you guys to not post my screenshots of this outside this forum please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

See attachments.

I had a similar problem with the Sundtek. I installed a masthead amp to boost the signal to between 85% to 99% and touchwood have had no problems since. (Before new amp had signals circe 68% to 70%)
    The usb dtt tuners from my experience are not as sensitive as stb dtt tuners.

• Advertisement

Lad,

Were you just having jumpy - pixelly recordings or were you loosing the channel being recorded all together or even all the DTT Channels requiring a reboot.

Sorry for the questions but I think there is a pattern where the sundtek issues might be signal related as they dont seem to loose the DTT Channels altogether.

Also is the 77% in the attachment the signal strength ?

D
    givecredit wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with the Sundtek. I installed a masthead amp to boost the signal to between 85% to 99% and touchwood have had no problems since. (Before new amp had signals circe 68% to 70%)
    The usb dtt tuners from my experience are not as sensitive as stb dtt tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

You couldn't better the temptation to post the screen shots on Vix....LOL.

No will power.

Well done though (those extra screens in Vix make skins a daunting task).

Thinking of ordering Sundtek media pro today... Do you have discount coupon ?

I know you got on well with the nova-t but judging on my experience and the comments here I think there is something missing in Nova-t thats ok in Sundtek. (especially on Sundteks willingness to help on drivers and support)

D

lol ya had uploaded them there when i thought of the skin! i dont have a coupon for sundtek unfortunately but in my opinion they are a much better tuner. they do not require i2c communication and in that sense do not need the mods vu+ had to add to vtuner support and is the reason that they worked without additions to image before the others. also they give snr and agc readings which are accurate whereas other usb tuners give you no reading for snr. i have both snr and agc at 94-95% signal without an amplifier and have no probs whatsoever with it and i have used it everyday for last few months. also have had many days working to get additions or mods by sundtek to drivers during beta and they were extremely helpful on instant messaging service. so imo they are a better tuner but from the small use i have had of the nova t since i got it it seems an ok tuner also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

ok, just to update, I recorded 4 channels simultaenously.

2 x sat - BBC1 HD + Channel 4 HD

2 x dtt - RTE1 + RTE2 HD

All recordings are 100% perfect, no pixalating , glitching or any issues at all.

Using nova-t

At this stage now Ive given up on my Nova-t.
    I was going to see if theyd return it (Stan you were saying youd had a faulty one before) but will probably just put it on adverts.ie as its fine recording on laptop.
    Now where is the box ?

The sundtek is out of stock until 2011-03-02.
    Will hold out till then.

Ive put down 3 weeks at this now so its time to say goodbye to it.

http://www.pli-images.org/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=65&thread_id=17131

I could just watch the programs for the amount of time I have spent writing posts....

D
    stanley1 wrote: »
    ok, just to update, I recorded 4 channels simultaenously.

2 x sat - BBC1 HD + Channel 4 HD

2 x dtt - RTE1 + RTE2 HD

All recordings are 100% perfect, no pixalating , glitching or any issues at all.

Using nova-t

can you have a look at back of nova-t stick, there should be a 5 digit number, mine is 70019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

dnme wrote: »
    I dunno....this has all the hall marks of a memory leak, what do you think?

+1..fact it works for other people means the memory leak is likely not core to VIX but something optional or configurable (maybe a plugin)

I have very little plugins installed. (see attachment).

I also had the same issues with PLI and BH (that was an experience).

If it was a memory leak would it not effect the whole box.
    Cause if the DTT channels fail I can still leave it like that and record 6 hd SAT Channels no bother.

Maybe its just hit and miss which for me isnt worth it.

hi dfdream what hdd have you got? is it a network mount or internal or usb for recordings? also what is your hdd mounted as in device manager?

Internal HDD.

See screenshot.

God bless Remote Web Interface..LOL

BTW - Whats the story with Sundtek... They are always out of stock.. Is it a massive seller or just not getting enough.

D

unfortunately for everyone trying to buy one it is a big seller and they at moment cannot manufacture enough of either the dvb-t/c ones or the dvb-s2 ones to keep up with demand. i was lucky i bought in early days and they had plenty then. i have a contact there if you want me to email for a consignment delivery date?

That would be appreciated.

Dave
    unfortunately for everyone trying to buy one it is a big seller and they at moment cannot manufacture enough of either the dvb-t/c ones or the dvb-s2 ones to keep up with demand. i was lucky i bought in early days and they had plenty then. i have a contact there if you want me to email for a consignment delivery date?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

I 2nd that - because when I was trying to get mine they were extremely busy, but eventually they got it out to me and I am extremely happy with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Internal HDD.

See screenshot.

God bless Remote Web Interface..LOL

BTW - Whats the story with Sundtek... They are always out of stock.. Is it a massive seller or just not getting enough.

D

Well I had same problems with recordings and just had alook at my hdd and it is Samsung HD103SJ, very similar to above. Could this be the problem?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I also have a Samsung drive installed - a Samsung HD103SJ to be precise.

Stanley1, what HDD do you have?

Maxtor sata 6L300S0, taken from a scrapped thomson sky hd box, still going strong after 4 years heavy use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi,

I done a quick test using my Nova T, i tried to record RTE 2 HD on the nova and BBC HD and ITV HD, switched over to DTT and screen was blank.

i also checked the recordings and RTE has a bit of pixelation.

Otherwise i am happy with the nova as i don`t see myself recording more than 2 programs at once.

On another note, has anyone got DmConcinnity skin working on Vix 2.0

Vinnie

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck playing xvid avi on the vu? I'm running Vix2.0. I've tried samba, nfs and djmount (upnp client) but they all have very stuttery playback.

I've read that mkv are fine but I only have avi.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

VINNIEB wrote: »
    Hi,

I done a quick test using my Nova T, i tried to record RTE 2 HD on the nova and BBC HD and ITV HD, switched over to DTT and screen was blank.

i also checked the recordings and RTE has a bit of pixelation.

Otherwise i am happy with the nova as i don`t see myself recording more than 2 programs at once.

On another note, has anyone got DmConcinnity skin working on Vix 2.0

Vinnie
    What brand/model hard drive have you installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

slegs wrote: »
    +1..fact it works for other people means the memory leak is likely not core to VIX but something optional or configurable (maybe a plugin)

That has all the hall marks of too much RF from a highly amped/poor reception and/or IF from an electronic/wifi device. The signal being recorded is leaky and not stable! Rubbish in, Rubbish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

STB wrote: »
    That has all the hall marks of too much RF from a highly amped/poor reception and/or IF from an electronic/wifi device. The signal being recorded is leaky and not stable! Rubbish in, Rubbish out.

Except that no pixellation is evident while watching the recording DTT channel live. And pixellation also occurs on the satellite recording.

FWIW I have a Hitachi drive so I think that rules out it being a Samsung issue. I reckon it's a problem with the drivers for the Nova-T.

Apogee wrote: »
    Except that no pixellation is evident while watching the recording DTT channel live. And pixellation also occurs on the satellite recording.

Thats the problem with reading a post in isolation!

These problems presumably only being caused with HD recordings. Oh dear. The answer is less obvious so. Its a fault in media playback - the media player software has been adapted for widespread media formats ??

I've seen it before with HD recordings and playback on a PC with any H264 codec support. The HD TS recorded is full of noise that crashes media playback in most media players including VLC. PES errors/dropped frames all common in a H264 TS files.

The VU+ Duo's record in raw TS's ? Is it single TS or a TRP file with an IDX.

The media player is reading the errors. Clean it up with TSDoctor. The likes of the guy who wrote that will tell you straight off if you give him the TS. Wolfgang over at cypheros forum is your best bet.

The problem with rewritten software.

Anyone try multiple recordings without RTE2 HD on DTT.

Just in case that its the HD MPEG4 Signal thats causing the issue.

Dave

Anyone try multiple recordings without RTE2 HD on DTT.

Just in case that its the HD MPEG4 Signal thats causing the issue.

Dave

If you are recording a load of HD channels the CPU although quite high spec in those boxes will be hammered.

Can you upload the Raw TS file of the RTE HD problem station or record 5 minutes of the same scenario.

Update

I just did a batch of recordings and all went fine.

Rte1,TV3, ITV1HD, AtlanticHD.

I had no black screens on any DTT channel after.
    Note - I dont know if there is pixelling until I go home.
    All being done from android app.

I have now kicked off

Rte1,TV3,3e, ITV1HD and BBC One HD.

Should be finished by 2.30. Will post back then.

I have a gut feeling about RTE2 HD being culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Guys, I've bit the bullet and crossed the picket line. Last night I did a deal with sky, entertainment pack, knowledge pack and HD for 32.50 per month.

I don't drink or smoke and this will be my only vice. So rather than messing around with plugins, dodgy usb devices, bugs and endless hours on forums trying to get stuff to work, the sky box will just do it all in one tidy unit.

I'm gonna sell my duo and the nova-t as a lot soon on adverts and try and get back to just watching TV, not constantly trying to fix it.

Forgive me lord, for I know not what I've done!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement