Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

this is great news,i just ordered one from steve at satelitetv.ie,and should have it monday morning.and DTT will complete a all rounder on this superb box,wow breath taking.stand and take a bow to your vu+duo.

stanley1 wrote: »
    latest firmware seems to support usb/dvbt.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

I just see one issue, or maybe I'm missing something, there's no RF Out? To make this box ideal, it should be able to replace what my current set-up which included a Sky MagicEye allowing me to watch and change channel on tv upstairs......is there any possible way to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gan23

stanley1 wrote: »
    latest firmware seems to support usb/dvbt.

Stanley1, I have been searching for info on the usb terrestrial tuner, sounds great hopefully it will work well. where can i find out more??
    any good site/forums,
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Original Image 4.7

Ver 4.7 Release note

Vuplus Duo

1. Fix booting problem when there is no rtc at the front board

2. Fix video freezing problem in AC3 pass-through playback

3. Fix lagging problem when no satellite signal

4. Support 2 virtual tuners(vtuner0/vtuner1)

5. Support generic linux input device

6. Modify the frondend header for easy backporting of usb driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭halkar

I was looking at AZ boxes but I think I will go with this one.
    Is there anyway to get wireless usb dongles to work on these?

• Advertisement

halkar wrote: »
    I was looking at AZ boxes but I think I will go with this one.
    Is there anyway to get wireless usb dongles to work on these?

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?282-How-i-can-enable-Wlan&highlight=wireless

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I assume that the support for "virtual tuners" allows for a USB DVBT dongle then (as long as there are drivers for that dongle)?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Does anybody know what usb dvb-t's are compatible with the Vu+ ?
    We also need the mpeg4 here, do all the usb dvb-t play mpeg4?

RogerThis wrote: »

most just seem to do mpeg2 (freeview), better to wait for a list of suitable hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

All USB DVB-T devices are compatible with the Irish DTT transmissions as long as you have suitable software and codecs installed. The device only demodulates the signal - its function is not to decompress the MPEG4 video. That is done on the software side.

There is no such thing as an MPEG4 USB DVB-T device or MPEG4 DVB-T tuner.

• Advertisement

So I've take the plunge and bought a "Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick" for Amazon for £33.18 including delivery. I can't find much info on what's compatible with the Vu+, but this one seems to be compatible with the Dreambox 800. So here's hoping:)

I have setup open pli with a bouquet similar to Sky but rearranged it a bit better. I installed picons which look nice. I have installed a 1 TB hard drive.
    I have installed permanent timeshift, but I can't rewind by pressing the rewind button. I have to press pause first and then I'm able to go to the start of the timeshift.

I haven't sorted out my epg yet, does anyone have any recommendations of which is best?

byte

Oooh, I'll be interested on how you get on!

Something I still need to do is tidy up my bouquets (I downloaded somebody else's list, but they're not to my liking). 1TB HDD is ordered, so that'll be the next thing to get done.

Currently using "dTV-HD-Reloaded" skin which I like. Prefer the HD skin over the stock skin.

I haven't mounted a new DTT antenna. I have my old antenna and I'm hoping that it will just work. Should it???

I have attached my bouquet, if you want to check it out. It still needs a bit of cleaning up, but it might help you out a bit.

Have you tried out the Dream Elite image?

I have not seen on any forums what dvbt dongles actually work, so I will be very interested on how the Hauppauge performs.

Regards

I getting a bit worried now, so I've asked questions on the Dream Elite and Open PLI forums about it. I ordered with free postage so Amazon aren't posting it till tomorrow. Just got an email from Amazon "Dispatched via An Post (estimated arrival date: June 08, 2010)." So no going back now. I can't see it taking that long too arrive. And what's with the "An Post"?

Hopefully here by Friday. I'll let you know how I get on. Dream Elite haven't release their latest image yet, and I'll need that before I can do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

An Post is the Irish postal service.

EU distance selling regs mean you can return anything you buy online within 14 days of having received it, for any reason at all. Called a cooling off period.

The WinTV arrived to-day. Very quick. It can from Dublin, I didn't know that Amazon had a base here. The model is 70019 even though on Amazon website it says it's a 00294.

I have Openpli install. I plugged it into the Vu+ and nothing happened. So I updated Openpli and still nothing. Can't find any plugins for usb dvb-t.

So I guess I'll have to wait till Dream-Elite bring out there next release.

I've just tried it on that latest 4.8 image, but no joy from that either.

I started a thread on this forum.

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?788-Usb-dvb-t

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Kind of a Bargain Blert - VU+ Duo

I got mine for €360 + €20 shipping to Ireland via a joint purchase scheme from the Spanish site below. In the meantime, they've changed the supplier and are now offering for €298.23 but I don't know if the cost of shipping is the same.

I was in Spain when I ordered, so I did a Bank transfer from there which was the only possible payment manner at the time, but as far as I can tell the new supplier takes Paypal.

In order to participate, you'd need to register for the site, and add your name to the joint purchase list.

http://translate.google.ie/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tododream.com%2Fforo%2Fvu-duo-hd%2F143006-compra-conjunta-vu-duo-electronica-suiza.html

great news, amazon here I come.

byte

Ooh, now things are starting to get interesting :)

Have you tried the DE image yet?

I only use OpenPLi, never tried the DE image (or indeed VTi).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

bassy wrote: »

Yeah, that's the one I ordered.

byte wrote: »
    Ooh, now things are starting to get interesting :)

Have you tried the DE image yet?

I only use OpenPLi, never tried the DE image (or indeed VTi).

I haven't installed the DE image yet.
    I still haven't moved the Vu+ into the sitting room, sky sub still has two weeks left. Need to give the wife a chance to watch the remainder of her stuff on sky+. I'm on holidays on Wednesday for a week, so hopefully the DE image will be out by the time I get back.

I downloaded and installed the new DE image.
    I found the USB tuner panel by pressing the blue button and going onto the second page. I activated the Nova T stick driver and rebooted. I went in to the automatic scan and the 3rd tuner was listed.
    I attached my aerial that points at Castlebar, and ran a search.
    It found nothing. DTT is not enable in Castlebar, and won't be until October.

So I don't know if it can do mpeg 4 or not. I won't be able to do anything more on it until I get back from my holidays.

• Advertisement
    byte

Even if it's not MPEG4, it'd have scanned in the channels (you'd just have no pictures). You'd have picked up the radio stations also.

The fact the receiver has identified the USB stick, and you were able to scan, suggests that it should work (with DTT signal, of course).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement