Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

irishchris wrote: »
    blackhole team have new image out for vu+
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/blackhole-1-3-6-oe-1-6.460

supoorts 3 dtt usb sticks including hauppage.

not sure on audio sync problems with this image but would imagine is same for all vu+ images until new drivers are released.

Lip sync problem still there on new blackhole image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

RogerThis wrote: »
    Hey irishchris, what image are you using?

I'm on the ViX image myself, it's white, clean and I'm happy with it. I prefer it to the old Dream Elite image. Only problem is how long they will take to implement Hauppage usb stick. I'm not going to fork out €100 for a DVB-T stick.

I am using vix since it came out but have tried all images so far. most impressed with vix but also tried pli again recently and it is rock solid. I watch all the english FTA channels such as bbc hd etc and all the sport on my cyfra card. thats why I am not trying new de image as i need ccam to read my cyfra card as i don't have a seca cam. but i am sticking with vix as is much more packed with features but am having few green screens with latest vix so may go back to previous version. i still think vix will be very slow to implement usb dtt as does not seem top of their priorities at mo. in saying that sic and andy have mentioned they will add sundtek drivers soon but i think personally it will be a while if ever before you see hauppage etc added unless another team does first and releases the code to vix team.

ps i noticed you got in bit of bother discussing the de image :D am on your side on that mate - some people are very power mad on that forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Im gonna stick with the second Vix image if your getting a few greens screens with the new one Chris. Im happy enough with it.

Im gonna stick with the second Vix image if your getting a few greens screens with the new one Chris. Im happy enough with it.

hi mate
    think it might be best to stick with it for now until they iron out what is otherwise an excellent image. they have mentioned on their forum that they think it is down to it being a memory heavy image and to create a swapfile to compensate which i have now so will see how that goes. but be careful if you do not want to update to latest image do not do a software update on the image as it automatically upgrades to the new image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I updated to vix 2 on monday. I too have had a few green screens since then. Must try figure out how to do your fix chris.

By the way keep us posted on the suntek dtt stick. Read that they are updating firmware to fix sync. Let us know how that goes..

Is it true that the stick auto shuts down when not in use? That would be a nice green feature and might convince me to pay the bit extra for it if the resolve the sync issues.

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    I updated to vix 2 on monday. I too have had a few green screens since then. Must try figure out how to do your fix chris.

By the way keep us posted on the suntek dtt stick. Read that they are updating firmware to fix sync. Let us know how that goes..

Is it true that the stick auto shuts down when not in use? That would be a nice green feature and might convince me to pay the bit extra for it if the resolve the sync issues.

just insert usb flash drive or on your hdd and go to system/vix/swapfile and in there you selct 256mb and activate. it then uses the usb memory when the boxes memory is been heavily used.
    i did not realise the sundtek auto shuts down - must be why when i have not used the dtt channels for while and first go to them takes a second or two at first to appear but then flicks between them really quickly. good to know :) also is probably why this one is so much cooler than the hauppage - it used to get quite warm after few days.
    will let you know once they update the drivers how it performs with sync

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

just insert usb flash drive or on your hdd and go to system/vix/swapfile and in there you selct 256mb and activate. it then uses the usb memory when the boxes memory is been heavily used.
    i did not realise the sundtek auto shuts down - must be why when i have not used the dtt channels for while and first go to them takes a second or two at first to appear but then flicks between them really quickly. good to know :) also is probably why this one is so much cooler than the hauppage - it used to get quite warm after few days.
    will let you know once they update the drivers how it performs with sync

cheers

I'm on ViX 1.2 with the latest updates. I've only has one green screen, since the update to 1.2 and none since the latest online updates. But I had a 64mb swap file created before I updated.

vuplus-support.co.uk was a great site but there isn't much impartial advise on there any more.
    I thought the vuplus-community.net was created by vuplus, but that's just for the Black Hole team.

What other forum sites do you check for vu info?

just the official forum www.vuplus-support.com and the vuplus-support.co.uk. also pli website. sometimes there is a bit on satpimps.com but not much.

just the official forum www.vuplus-support.com and the vuplus-support.co.uk. also pli website. sometimes there is a bit on satpimps.com but not much.

Is that really the official forum, or just the forum of the VTI team?
    Would the official developers for vuplus be members of that site?

I posted a vuplus image popularity pole on satpimps http://www.satpimps.com/showthread.php?t=142347

I don't believe the one on vuplus-community.net that black hole is that popular
    http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/which-unofficial-image-do-you-prefer.92/

There also seems to be a bit a vuplus following on sat-universe http://www.sat-universe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=464

Is that really the official forum, or just the forum of the VTI team?
    Correct - its vti image team

Would the official developers for vuplus be members of that site?
    they forward info to vuplus quickly - not sure if they are official members on that forum

I posted a vuplus image popularity pole on satpimps http://www.satpimps.com/showthread.php?t=142347

I don't believe the one on vuplus-community.net that black hole is that popular
    i totally agree - it is worst not best

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/which-unofficial-image-do-you-prefer.92/

There also seems to be a bit a vuplus following on sat-universe http://www.sat-universe.com/forumdisplay.php?f=464

• Advertisement

ps i noticed you got in bit of bother discussing the de image :D am on your side on that mate - some people are very power mad on that forum

I can remember you getting into a hot water yourself from Matrix10 on the dream elite forum, quoting info from the openpli forum.

Not a bad day in TV land. TV3 turned on, on DTT and a new FTA HD channel BBC One HD.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was gonna install the latest VIX image, but think I'll hold off now.

I can remember you getting into a hot water yourself from Matrix10 on the dream elite forum, quoting info from the openpli forum.

Not a bad day in TV land. TV3 turned on, on DTT and a new FTA HD channel BBC One HD.

lol great memory! yes matrix10 like the rest of that shower in de have bit of attitude and take themselves a little too serious.

yes delighted about tv3 on dtt and bbc1hd looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hi, I have the a VU+ Duo about a week now. Latest VTI image flashed on it.

Since yesterday I'm getting black screens on my tv, like there's no signal getting sent. Lasts a few seconds and longer sometimes. Anyone had this kind of issue before?

It doesn't appear like any cables are loose. Am I looking at a return?

try reflasing. try vix 1.1 or pli image. you can download either from www.vuplus-support.co.uk

if issue still there with these then may be worth contacting your retailer while it is still in waranty but can often be just a bad image problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

s.welstead wrote: »
    Hi, I have the a VU+ Duo about a week now. Latest VTI image flashed on it.

Since yesterday I'm getting black screens on my tv, like there's no signal getting sent. Lasts a few seconds and longer sometimes. Anyone had this kind of issue before?

It doesn't appear like any cables are loose. Am I looking at a return?

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue. Connect tv to duo with scart to see if the issue still happens via scart. If it does its not a handshake issue.
    A firmware upgrade on your tv might fix problem. Check your tv manufactures support section website to see if upgrade available.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i was reading up a review about it and it mentioned this

"Our only real trouble concerned DiSEqC, certainly with a Moteck positioner. Although there was no problem configuring satellites during the setup phase, the dish would fail to move when a channel on a different satellite was subsequently selected for viewing."

is that still the case does anyone know?

also how are the tuners on this box

Headshot wrote: »
    i was reading up a review about it and it mentioned this

"Our only real trouble concerned DiSEqC, certainly with a Moteck positioner. Although there was no problem configuring satellites during the setup phase, the dish would fail to move when a channel on a different satellite was subsequently selected for viewing."

is that still the case does anyone know?

also how are the tuners on this box

no problems at all here with mine. i used to use diseqc and was fine but now just use usals as is so easy - just type in long and lat and it autofinds the sats. the vu moves it for recordings that i have setup weekly form the tv guide and the dish whizzs around even on standby for this so no probs on that front :D

givecredit wrote: »
    Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue. Connect tv to duo with scart to see if the issue still happens via scart. If it does its not a handshake issue.
    A firmware upgrade on your tv might fix problem. Check your tv manufactures support section website to see if upgrade available.

I changed out the HDMI cable and everything seems fine again!

Are there any options to setup a live rewind function? Can't seem to find it.

You have to install the permanent timeshift plugin and enable it and then you can live rewind. I didn't enable this as don't wish to have my hard drive continually spinning while switched on.

• Advertisement

You have to install the permanent timeshift plugin and enable it and then you can live rewind. I didn't enable this as don't wish to have my hard drive continually spinning while switched on.

Thanks, will have a nose when I get home for that plugin. I presume if it's not directly available from the image then it can be installed manually and still be compatible?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Thanks, will have a nose when I get home for that plugin. I presume if it's not directly available from the image then it can be installed manually and still be compatible?
    No probs. Yes it can be installed manually from an ipk file. If you are stuck send me a message later and can forward it to you

Iv sold my dreambox and I reckon ill pick up the VU+ Duo

just hoping someone can help me out with some of these questions

Is it easy to setup for motorised dish, easy to drive the dish ?

Is it simple to use fullstop

Iv a cyfra card and maybe in the future ill get a jsc card so will those cards work in the vu+ duo or do i need software for it to work?

Is there a big difference between the VU+ Solo and VU+ Duo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Iv a cyfra card and maybe in the future ill get a jsc card so will those cards work in the vu+ duo or do i need software for it to work?

Blooming 'eck, you're going through STBs like there's no tomorrow. ;) I don't have a vu+ but I can't see it being much different from the DM500HD you had seeing as they both use the Enigma 2 interface but I'm sure one of the owners will fill you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Can answer a couple of bits. My Cyfra Card works when I downloaded CCCam. The difference between Solo and Duo is just the 2nd tuner in the Duo i think.

Pretty easy to use as I'm no expert and this is my 1st linux box. Lots of info on forums as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Simple to use Headshot, I've mine set up through Usals for my motorised dish. The only real difference between the two is the 2nd tuner. Sure any help you need , just ask. Thats what we are here for. I couldn't refuse a fellow United supporter:)

thanks cgc5483 and ff

solo it is

"I couldn't refuse a fellow United supporter"

you have good taste ff :D

iv been offered the box for 300 euro, that's an irish seller. Ill have alook around for a better price

*very easy to get the motorised dish with the vu+ especially if you use usals which the duo supports - just enter longitude and latitude and it autofinds the sats when set correctly.
    *i find it very simple to use especially if you are used to a dreambox it is effectively same software.
    *i have a cyfra+ hd multipacket card which is supported by ccam software emu.
    *i also have a jsc sports VIACCESS card which is read in the second card reader of the duo by ccam too. so basically i have all my sports and also hd content for 250 for the year :)
    * i personally would not go for a solo as is not as well supported. pli originally said they would not support it at all when it first launched not sure if they have changed that policy? other teams do such as vix but by all regards is not as supported as the duo.
    you should read up on pli website and on www.vuplus-support.com as there has been plenty of posts on this very thing with unfortunately some not so great comment on the solo. but again i dont own one so can not fully comment on a solo but can on the duo which i would not change for anything :)

hope this helped a bit :)

thanks for that chris, I see your also a member of the vuplus-support, I hope you didnt mind me taking a paragraph out of your post to show the lads in there

• Advertisement

thanks for that chris, I see your also a member of the vuplus-support, I hope you didnt mind me taking a paragraph out of your post to show the lads in there

no probs at all mate. i would be the exact same mate if i was about to purchase a new piece of kit and would want to be 100 percent on having all the info before purchasing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement