Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Black Hole with MX red skin

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hangar18_

BH 2.0.7 infinity 1.05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

OpenVIX - MyMetrixHD (called MyMatrix in Skins)

mymetrix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

fbradyirl wrote: »
    OpenVIX - MyMetrixHD (called MyMatrix in Skins)

mymetrix.jpg

look goods.

is this in the skins option, i cant find it for the solo box i am setting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

My sat config issue is back again :mad:

posted a thread on WOS, we will see if anything comes out of that...

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    look goods.

is this in the skins option, i cant find it for the solo box i am setting up?

Using the latest OpenVix on a Vu+ Duo, go to Addons-Download-skins and install matrixhd.

Then reboot, and select the skin in settings

open addons again, select MyMetrix, then 'Save My Skin'.

Restart Enigma when prompted.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just did that, and have b0rked my receiver now, it won't boot.

How does one restore backups?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tonio

irishgeo wrote: »
    what skins is everyone using? i use pli hd one.

MX Adriatic Blue on Black Hole on my Solo 2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭banie01

byte wrote: »
    Just did that, and have b0rked my receiver now, it won't boot.

How does one restore backups?

Assuming you have a backup image made via the image manager, you need to access the drive via ftp to copy the backup image back across to a USB drive and then its just a matter of installing via front panel USB.
    The drive should hopefully still be available via FTP even during a bootloop.

And if it that doesn't work or you cant access the drive via FTP,but you do have a settings backup on the box, just download the latest image, flash via usb and the box will detect if you have a settings backup available and ask if you wish to restore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Using the latest openVix, go to Addons-Download-skins and install matrixhd.

Then reboot, and select the skin in settings

open addons again, select MyMetrix, then 'Save My Skin'.

Restart Enigma when prompted.

I was going to do what you have written above, but Im scared now that Ill brick my box

• Advertisement

My instructions are for Vu Duo only. Sorry should have mentioned that. If you delete the skin via FTP from /usr/share/enigma2/ it should revert to the default skin.

byte

banie01 wrote: »
    Assuming you have a backup image made via the image manager, you need to access the drive via ftp to copy the backup image back across to a USB drive and then its just a matter of installing via front panel USB.
    The drive should hopefully still be available via FTP even during a bootloop.

And if it that doesn't work or you cant access the drive via FTP,but you do have a settings backup on the box, just download the latest image, flash via usb and the box will detect if you have a settings backup available and ask if you wish to restore it.
    Ah, FTP wasn't working either.

In the end I just had to reflash the box with OpenVIX, new Catseye file (<3 Catseye files) and reinstall softcam. I'll configure the motored dish later.

Of course, I had settings backups.. but none in the last year! Yeah, I should know better! :) I really should make a backup...

Ah, FTP wasn't working either.

In the end I just had to reflash the box with OpenVIX, new Catseye file (<3 Catseye files) and reinstall softcam. I'll configure the motored dish later.

Of course, I had settings backups.. but none in the last year! Yeah, I should know better! :) I really should make a backup...

I know the pain of not having a back up all too well! :(
    The good thing is even after a full clean reflash,
    and assuming that you have previously made a back image via the image manager it will still be available on your Hard Drive after reflashing.
    In the case of ''broken'' FTP access my usual fix is reflash with a new image, then access the hard drive via FTP copy across my good back up, then flash again with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi guys,does the WinTV hvr h600 usb tuner work in vix and if so what driver should I use,regards

byte

I know the pain of not having a back up all too well! :(
    The good thing is even after a full clean reflash,
    and assuming that you have previously made a back image via the image manager it will still be available on your Hard Drive after reflashing.
    In the case of ''broken'' FTP access my usual fix is reflash with a new image, then access the hard drive via FTP copy across my good back up, then flash again with that.
    The funny thing was, I thought I had made a backup image a month ago, but it doesn't seem to be there now, just a very old one.

Anyway, I'm just glad it's working again now. Seems any time I try to add any new gimmicks to OpenVIX on my VuDuo, it will either slow to a crawl or just crash a lot.

I dunno if the faulty capacitor issue affects performace of the CPU or if it's just a case that OpenVIX is just too bloated now on the original Vu+Duo hardware.

I'm tempted to try out BH, but don't think it's as user friendly as VIX?

The funny thing was, I thought I had made a backup image a month ago, but it doesn't seem to be there now, just a very old one.

Anyway, I'm just glad it's working again now. Seems any time I try to add any new gimmicks to OpenVIX on my VuDuo, it will either slow to a crawl or just crash a lot.

I dunno if the faulty capacitor issue affects performace of the CPU or if it's just a case that OpenVIX is just too bloated now on the original Vu+Duo hardware.

I'm tempted to try out BH, but don't think it's as user friendly as VIX?

I said it earlier in the thread, Mymetrix is pretty, it is one of the best looking GUI's out there but it is not really a skin as such.
    Its a plugin that generates a completely new layer of code and widget running cleverness that in anything but a very stripped down image is a resource hog.

Usually a skin will replace the default skin files, and mymetrix does this but also runs multiple widgets too.
    Telnet into a duo and run 'top' on a box running mymetrix and the same box running a normal skin to see what I mean.

I'm currently swapping between OpenPLI 3 and VIX's 773 build which seems to have none of the issues I was having previously(yet at least)
    Pli needs time spent on multiquickbutton to remap the remote and now that CoolEPG is payware, setting up your EPG can be a bit tedious.
    But I find it very stable and it is very easy to run a very pared down image as it installs with none of the bells and whistles.

BH I have given it a quick try on 2.06 but I haven't really played around with it since the 1.6 builds so I can't really comment either way on its current plus/minus's but more and more folks seem to be switching to it.

byte

VIX 773? :eek: I'm still using Build 626, that could be part of the problem too. I'm just wary that newer versions will mean that the "spinning VIX" will become worse than an animated DOG, constantly spinning! :D

Thanks for the explanation though. Much appreciated.

VIX 773? :eek: I'm still using Build 626, that could be part of the problem too. I'm just wary that newer versions will mean that the "spinning VIX" will become worse than an animated DOG, constantly spinning! :D

Thanks for the explanation though. Much appreciated.

I had an absolute nightmare with spinning VIX but now it's down to occasional spinners during media playback.
    The capacitor issue has anecdotally caused slowdowns and slugishness prior to developing into the red light of death fail.
    I replaced the c807 and the adjacent caps, that said none of the caps I removed had any obvious bulging or signs of drying out but....
    Theres always a but, the box is running better, quicker to boot(at one stage I waited 11mins to boot) and no constant spinners.
    Whether that is down to the hardware being repaired or differing images is open to guess really but the improvement is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I had an absolute nightmare with spinning VIX but now it's down to occasional spinners during media playback.
    The capacitor issue has anecdotally caused slowdowns and slugishness prior to developing into the red light of death fail.
    I replaced the c807 and the adjacent caps, that said none of the caps I removed had any obvious bulging or signs of drying out but....
    Theres always a but, the box is running better, quicker to boot(at one stage I waited 11mins to boot) and no constant spinners.
    Whether that is down to the hardware being repaired or differing images is open to guess really but the improvement is there.

Would the new VU2 Duo or whatever its called, be a good upgrade at this stage? Would it have sufficiently better hardware to do away with sluggishness, spinning vix etc ?

I said it earlier in the thread, Mymetrix is pretty, it is one of the best looking GUI's out there but it is not really a skin as such.
    Its a plugin that generates a completely new layer of code and widget running cleverness that in anything but a very stripped down image is a resource hog.

I wouldn't agree that it is a resource hog. Even on my Vu Duo which has half a gig of RAM, Vix runs super smooth for me, even with the MyMetrix addon. I pretty much never see the spinner and I have been running it for over a month now. If you think something is hogging the system, maybe have a look at another installed addon.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree that it is a resource hog. Even on my Vu Duo which has half a gig of RAM, Vix runs super smooth for me, even with the MyMetrix addon. I pretty much never see the spinner and I have been running it for over a month now. If you think something is hogging the system, maybe have a look at another installed addon.

1st off where did you get a Duo with a half gig of Ram?
    If you have a half gig of Ram on your Duo it would go a long way towards explaining how your running so smooth.
    They have 384mb of Ram and when in full flow they generally have @250mb of that reserved for system.
    I have looked at it via ''top'' and Mymetrix and its associated processes do utilise more ram and runs extra processes not called for by a normal skin due to its widget based UI.
    Should not be an issue on a pared down install but can be on anything else and has been recognised as such by many dev's.
    As i said, log the resources called when running mymetrix vs when not particularly when the GUI is active/onscreen

As I said earlier it does generate a lovely skin, but if someone is running anything more than a very pared down image it does hog resources particularly free RAM and it does make a lot of CPU calls when active.
    Again this is not an issue if you have a debloated/pared down image but if you are running a few plugins, some network services and a cam it can cause issues.
    dnme wrote: »
    Would the new VU2 Duo or whatever its called, be a good upgrade at this stage? Would it have sufficiently better hardware to do away with sluggishness, spinning vix etc ?
    @DNME
    given that the Duo 2 has @8times the processor power, @8 times the flash memory and @times the RAM.
    The hardware should run pretty much any image thrown at it and performance should be down to the quality of the code rather than a hardware issue.

As a quick example current Duo VIX image with a cam,basic network settings and 1/2 other plugins installed runs to @92mb.
    This means that the image alone is taking over 75% of your available Flash memory.
    An
    To contrast I can run an OpenPLI image from a 68mb image with same basic settings and plugins leaving a lot more flash free to cope with running the system and coping with the known memory leak issues.
    A USB stick swapfile with fast R/W speeds can an will help offload some of the RAM issue and make a big difference to the overall performance.
    A slow stick for the swapfile will exacerbate any problems though IME.

Running any plugin on a Duo needs to take the actual Flash footprint into account, VIX when it is running well is a great image but there can be no doubt it is becoming bloated.
    And on a box with only 128mb of flash and 384mb of RAM bloat and unnecessary process's have to be avoided.
    Yes the Duo is a fantastic box, I love mine but it is old and low spec compared to the modern trend of Dual core, and lots of Flash and ram becoming more available.

1st off where did you get a Duo with a half gig of Ram?
    If you have a half gig of Ram on your Duo it would go a long way towards explaining how your running so smooth.
    They have 384mb of Ram and when in full flow they generally have @250mb of that reserved for system.
    I have looked at it via ''top'' and Mymetrix and its associated processes do utilise more ram and runs extra processes not called for by a normal skin due to its widget based UI.
    Should not be an issue on a pared down install but can be on anything else and has been recognised as such by many dev's.
    As i said, log the resources called when running mymetrix vs when not particularly when the GUI is active/onscreen

As I said earlier it does generate a lovely skin, but if someone is running anything more than a very pared down image it does hog resources particularly free RAM and it does make a lot of CPU calls when active.
    Again this is not an issue if you have a debloated/pared down image but if you are running a few plugins, some network services and a cam it can cause issues.

You're right about the RAM, for some reason I had it in my head that the Duo had half a gig.

I run it pretty paired down with just a cam and DDNS updater in the background, and a scheduled XMLTV import each day. So maybe that's why it runs so well for me. I don't run any dnla servers or any media sharing services like others might. Each to their own I guess, but I do recommend it to friends who configure their box correctly and stripped down as you say.

You're right about the RAM, for some reason I had it in my head that the Duo had half a gig.

I run it pretty paired down with just a cam and DDNS updater in the background, and a scheduled XMLTV import each day. So maybe that's why it runs so well for me. I don't run any dnla servers or any media sharing services like others might. Each to their own I guess, but I do recommend it to friends who configure their box correctly and stripped down as you say.

That's a fairly similar setup to my own.
    Clean and minimal ;)
    I have DDNS setup on my router though so I just assign a static ip to my Duo and forward the webif port rather than use the built in DNS service.
    Only plugins I use currently are a cam and PVMC.
    The DNLA/Media services can hog a lot of resources when they are running and so I avoid them, particularly added network mounts.
    For sharing the media on the duo I just run the built in Samba service and then I can view the drive across my network without worrying about DLNA or other services, copy and share to my hearts content.

That's a fairly similar setup to my own.
    Clean and minimal ;)
    I have DDNS setup on my router though so I just assign a static ip to my Duo and forward the webif port rather than use the built in DNS service.
    Only plugins I use currently are a cam and PVMC.
    The DNLA/Media services can hog a lot of resources when they are running and so I avoid them, particularly added network mounts.
    For sharing the media on the duo I just run the built in Samba service and then I can view the drive across my network without worrying about DLNA or other services, copy and share to my hearts content.

Fo DDNS, I'm using the free noip.com updater. I'm guessing you're using the paid DynDNS service if it's built into the router?

I don't even have samba turned on. I just use plain old sftp to copy stuff from the box.

Fo DDNS, I'm using the free noip.com updater. I'm guessing you're using the paid DynDNS service if it's built into the router?

I don't even have samba turned on. I just use plain old sftp to copy stuff from the box.

I use Samba as i have a few devices I share to around the house, If i am on the laptop though its generally FTP I use.
    Nope, I use the free service too, with DynDNS I have to log into the account once a month to keep it active.
    I have a NoIP account too, I must get around to using it more.

One of the few good things I can say about UPC router(Apart from speed of course) I have is that it has a built in DDNS option unfortunately it seems to be locked down to DynDNS.

One of the few good things I can say about UPC router(Apart from speed of course) I have is that it has a built in DDNS option unfortunately it seems to be locked down to DynDNS.

Yeah even the high end enterprise routers will only support DynDNS. I've yet to find one that supports noip.com :cool:

You must have got in early with DynDNS. It looks like they have done away with free accounts for new signups.

Yeah even the high end enterprise routers will only support DynDNS. I've yet to find one that supports noip.com :cool:

You must have got in early with DynDNS. It looks like they have done away with free accounts for new signups.

Yeah I have the Dyndns account for years, the old free accounts were grandfathered in but the terms changed to having to login once a month to keep the account active.
    Not a big change and worth the inconvenience to keep the free account too.

Having noIP supported/easily added to routers would be a boon alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you still can get a free dyndns account by signing up for the paid service and cancelling straight away and you get to keep the account for free.

And can you add a host etc then? Cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

@DNME
    given that the Duo 2 has @8times the processor power, @8 times the flash memory and @times the RAM.
    The hardware should run pretty much any image thrown at it and performance should be down to the quality of the code rather than a hardware issue.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade. I always thought that the VU+ Duo was way under powered and the specs of the Duo2 look about right to me. If I could get my hands on one with a twin s2 tuner and a dvb-t tuner built in for around €500, I might be able to sell my existing Duo for 150-200 mark. That would make the cost of the Duo2 more bearable. What do you think ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement