Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

My friend's hard disk in his VU+Duo has become "read-only" for some reason (following my failed efforts the other night to add OnDemand plugin).

He can't add or delete anything from it. Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great post by Slegs, covers off exactly what to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My friend's hard disk in his VU+Duo has become "read-only" for some reason (following my failed efforts the other night to add OnDemand plugin).

He can't add or delete anything from it. Any suggestions?

Has anything changed or did he try anything? Is he going through a mount point or something different?

If he can ftp onto the box check the permissions on 1 of the folders, 777 will be full access to a folder, see if he can use that. If there's nothing on the drive he wants or if he can back it up first he could just initialize the drive, that should give the box full access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

Trust DVB-T usb tuner

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but I just wanted to share a dvb-t usb tuner that works for me.

I had been using a hauppauge WinTV Nova DVB-T that was working fine but recently needed rebooting to get over the odd freeze and I saw one of these on offer for €19 in media markt in Holland. I think they can be found in amazon as well.

http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=18253

I just swapped out the nova and put this one in its place and it works perfectly on both BH and Vix.

I got 1 of these and it works in both my Ultimo and my Solo2 with zero issues

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/350629223341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

thanks Sleg, all working perfectly now :)

got some HD channels working pretty well, but still need to do some more tweaking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Clareman wrote: »
    I got 1 of these and it works in both my Ultimo and my Solo2 with zero issues

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/350629223341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Which image and which driver did you use?

irishchris wrote: »

Blackhole, it's my second box and I can't remember updating it for a couple of months so it's not the most recent, it's completely plug and play, didn't have to bother with any drivers or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Blackhole, it's my second box and I can't remember updating it for a couple of months so it's not the most recent, it's completely plug and play, didn't have to bother with any drivers or anything.

Yes, the blackhole team seem to have the USB DTT sticks working fine on the Duo. Something that the Vix team have never been able to master for some reason.
    Its not a memory issue, the same instability problems applies to the Gigablue Quad with VIX image.

The only thing I never liked about blackhole was the button mapping, always had to use multiquickbutton.

Is this any better now or still the same?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

The only thing I never liked about blackhole was the button mapping, always had to use multiquickbutton.

Is this any better now or still the same?

Thanks.

I've never noticed a problem to be honest, I find it a rock solid image that my wife can use (which is vital). I've a Solo2 and an Ultimo running the images with no problems

I've never noticed a problem to be honest, I find it a rock solid image that my wife can use (which is vital). I've a Solo2 and an Ultimo running the images with no problems

I always found simple things like the channel buttons didnt work, actually controlled something else if I remember right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

irishchris wrote: »

what drivers do you choose for that usb stick.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

Well after 3 1/2 years of faithful service my Vu+ Duo gave up the ghost last night with the dreaded "red light of death" problem. I tried the capacitor replacement solution as documented on many other fora but however no luck. I believe that replacing some regulators is the next step but my soldering skills are pretty basic and I don't fancy trying to solder a 6 legged component.

Does any know of anywhere in the Dublin area that could repair this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Try satworld.ie

guff daddy wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Well after 3 1/2 years of faithful service my Vu+ Duo gave up the ghost last night with the dreaded "red light of death" problem. I tried the capacitor replacement solution as documented on many other fora but however no luck. I believe that replacing some regulators is the next step but my soldering skills are pretty basic and I don't fancy trying to solder a 6 legged component.

Have read of many people replacing this without any issue but Google and you should find many Reputable places to repair it fairly cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I recently installed a new hard-disk, re-flashed, updated VIX and all is now working well -except I used to be able to see the 'info'/ details on a channel by double-pressing on the OK button. ie. when a channel is on, I'd press OK to see the channel and programme name, then OK again to get details on the current programme. I now can't find how to do this. In fact I can't find any option to show me the info on a channel outside the epg/ 'TV listing'.

Anyone? Is it staring me in the face? ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I recently installed a new hard-disk, re-flashed, updated VIX and all is now working well -except I used to be able to see the 'info'/ details on a channel by double-pressing on the OK button. ie. when a channel is on, I'd press OK to see the channel and programme name, then OK again to get details on the current programme. I now can't find how to do this. In fact I can't find any option to show me the info on a channel outside the epg/ 'TV listing'.

Anyone? Is it staring me in the face? ?
    Hah, I'm having the very same problem, and it's annoying as a feature I used pretty often.

I've mulled through the many, many EPG options and only see things for OK short and long presses, but not relevant to showing Programme Synopsis on double OK press.

I too would like to find how to fix it, or if it's deliberately removed from latest VIX.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Scratch that! Found it!

Menu > Setup > System > scroll down to User Interface > Settings...

In here "Show second infobar" will have None; change this to 3 seconds (or whatever number of seconds you want it to timeout)
    Green for OK. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

I recently flashed the latest VIX image, everything is working as it should but the box becomes unresponsive randomly for anything up to 30sec and one I had to reboot, i.e. vix spinning in the corner it doesn't effect recordings or anything but is quite annoying when scrolling through the menus or if I'm in the middle of fast forwarding, I have reflashed the image a few times but issue remains, I am restoring a backup but have done this before with out any issue.

anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Dotts wrote: »
    I recently flashed the latest VIX image, everything is working as it should but the box becomes unresponsive randomly for anything up to 30sec and one I had to reboot, i.e. vix spinning in the corner it doesn't effect recordings or anything but is quite annoying when scrolling through the menus or if I'm in the middle of fast forwarding, I have reflashed the image a few times but issue remains, I am restoring a backup but have done this before with out any issue.

anyone got any ideas?

Same here. The newer versions of VIX seem to be a little resource hungry. I regularly see the spinning VIX in the top left corner, even sometimes for the simple act of changing channels. The VU+Duo is under specified IMO, You'd swear that things like memory and processing power were rare and expensive. The VIX image itself has always been buggy. There are still bugs in terms of functionality and usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know I got this issue sorted before but cannot remember how!

I like to edit the VIX/AutoBouquetMaker generated file to include the Irish Channels.
    I personally find that combining the NI settings with the ROI settings gives a great 28.2 list (RTE's and Setanta along with the UK channels and ITV HD installed at 103).
    However now when I use DBE to edit the channel list, when I reload the list to my Vu Duo, all the place holder channels are visible on the channel list, i.e 1-100 are on the list before BBC1, how can I edit the list to my liking and keep the placeholders invisible?
    I have enable duplicates selected in DBE and have searched through threads for advice on this without success as the advice given is for the old ''visible'' placeholders and not the newer invisible ones where the blank channels are hidden.
    I don't know what else to try and any ideas will be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Does anybody else have a problem with the box dropping frames/being jerky on playback from a USB drive? I've always had this issue but haven't manually updated the box in ages. I'd rather avoid updating it if it isn't going to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

Zab wrote: »
    Does anybody else have a problem with the box dropping frames/being jerky on playback from a USB drive? I've always had this issue but haven't manually updated the box in ages. I'd rather avoid updating it if it isn't going to fix the problem.

I've always had this problem with portable USB drives that are powered via USB, they do not appear to be fast enough.
    If I use a powered 3 1/2" drives I never have a problem..

What are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

shakel wrote: »
    I've always had this problem with portable USB drives that are powered via USB, they do not appear to be fast enough.
    If I use a powered 3 1/2" drives I never have a problem..

What are you using?

Flash drive, definitely fast enough for the media though. Used to have an externally powered HDD on it though, and I'm pretty sure it was the same. I guess I'll have to update the firmware on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Righthammer

Derrywan wrote: »
    Hi, have a Vu Duo running VIX and just started using the inbuilt auto bouquet maker (not Lraizer verson), my problem is everytime it does the automatic scan I lose my Saorview channels through the USB tuner. Does anyone know how I set this up so as not to keep losing the channels from USB tuner? Thanks for any help.

Easy fix for this put all Saorview channels in their own bouquet ... then go to menu/setup/service searching/autobouquetsmaker\keep bouquets

Select your saorview bouquet and next time the autobouquets runs it should leave the saorview bouquet behind untouched.it maybe at bottom of list in the bouquets ..
    Works for me anyway..
    saves having to rescan for them !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks I did an over air update running latest vix the other night and since then gave been experiencing audio dropouts via optical cable. Anyone else having issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Easy fix for this put all Saorview channels in their own bouquet ... then go to menu/setup/service searching/autobouquetsmaker\keep bouquets

Select your saorview bouquet and next time the autobouquets runs it should leave the saorview bouquet behind untouched.it maybe at bottom of list in the bouquets ..
    Works for me anyway..

Bit of a pain though having to change bouquets when browsing your epg. The whole point is that it's a combo as in you get to use Saorview and Satellite in a seamless manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

Works for me anyway..
    I have a couple of the Saorview channels in my Favourites bouquet - I've configured ABM to keep this bouquet and it does keep the listing however after I reboot the channels are greyed out and I need to rescan.
    I raised this ages ago with the VIX team but it was never sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I have a couple of the Saorview channels in my Favourites bouquet - I've configured ABM to keep this bouquet and it does keep the listing however after I reboot the channels are greyed out and I need to rescan.
    I raised this ages ago with the VIX team but it was never sorted...

Vix/OpenPLI do great EPG once its DVB-S. They really need to get a DVB-T head on board there. At blackhole its the opposite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement