Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I saw some people here discussing permanent Timeshift. I have just turned it on, on my Duo and was wondering if I should be worried that if all that constant writing to the HD will destroy it or is it pretty safe to leave this setting on always? I'm on Vix latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I saw some people here discussing permanent Timeshift. I have just turned it on, on my Duo and was wondering if I should be worried that if all that constant writing to the HD will destroy it or is it pretty safe to leave this setting on always? I'm on Vix latest.

Have you ever used a Sky+ box?
    Did you worry about the HD being destroyed?

Its generally perfectly ok to use your HD for timeshifting, modern HD's are designed for constant use write/rewrite cycles.
    There is a preference to use USB sticks for picons/EPG/Swap/Timeshift as using a memory stick allows this to be near silent.
    The Hard drive can be quite noisy and using USB memory sticks allows a near silent operation of the duo.

The downside is that in general USB is not as fast for read/write cycles although this will not usually impact system performance in any way apart from occasionally on ones swapfile.
    If you are going to use your internal HD for timeshift, you should move picons and EPG and swapfile on there too as with PTS enabled you won't have the spin up wait that happens if you have this data on the HD without PTS enabled.

banie01 wrote: »
    Have you ever used a Sky+ box?
    Did you worry about the HD being destroyed?

Its generally perfectly ok to use your HD for timeshifting, modern HD's are designed for constant use write/rewrite cycles.
    There is a preference to use USB sticks for picons/EPG/Swap/Timeshift as using a memory stick allows this to be near silent.
    The Hard drive can be quite noisy and using USB memory sticks allows a near silent operation of the duo.

The downside is that in general USB is not as fast for read/write cycles although this will not usually impact system performance in any way apart from occasionally on ones swapfile.
    If you are going to use your internal HD for timeshift, you should move picons and EPG and swapfile on there too as with PTS enabled you won't have the spin up wait that happens if you have this data on the HD without PTS enabled.

Thanks for the info. And to answer your question: No, I have never used a Sky+ box.

The main reason I asked the question is because permanent timeshift has always
    been disabled by default on all images I've tried. Maybe that's to cater for those who don't have a hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dnme wrote: »
    Just took delivery of the VU+Duo2. I now have it updated (Bootloader and latest Vix), and installed and configured. So far no issues apart from the awful and buggy ViX network interface.

Boots fully in 45 seconds, (my Duo used to take anywhere from 3-5 mins).
    I love the built in DVB-T tuner. I have it installed beside a TWIN DVB-S2. This tidies the whole thing up and makes it a proper combo box.
    Love the built in WiFi.
    Love the new remote.
    Love the speed and slickness of it's operation and usage.

So far so good.
    where did you get it and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

irishgeo wrote: »
    where did you get it and how much?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190948724663&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I emailed him back and fourth, made him an offer of £460 STG (about €560) to include DVB-T tuner and delivery and he accepted. I sold the Vu+Duo for €175 so the overall upgrade cost was €385.

• Advertisement

Autotimer not working

I am having an issue with VIX that I have noticed for the past few builds. I am finding that setting an autotimer seems to do nothing. Right now I am trying to set up an auto timer to record Everybody Loves Raymond, on C4 every morning.

1. I bring up epg, go to c4, scroll right til I get to tomorrow mornings listings and highlight Everybody Loves Raymond.
    2. Press Blue (add autotimer)
    3. Press green twice
    4. This brings me back to epg. The show listing has not gone red. When I exit out of epg I see the attached image.
    Has anyone else experienced similar issues. How do you get autotimer working again or is this an as yet unresolved bug ?

280962.jpg

^^

So am I the only one ? any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

dnme wrote: »
    ^^

So am I the only one ? any suggestions ?

I am using this build:
    box_type=vuduo
    build_type=0
    version=3.0
    build=772
    drivers=20131023

I have no issues with adding autotimers, all fine. I never use exact match as I find that the names in the events can change from the Web EPG population to what the satellite shows for Now/Next. Not sure if this matters.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fed up with VIX crashing now, so now gonna delve into the realm of BlackHole.

Anything I should know?

What do your crash logs indicate as being the cause of the crashes?

Black Hole is great but you'll be missing some nice things like auto timers and an elegant EPG. These are things that Vix provides out of the box. Black Hole works better for connecting usb devices, but I found no other advantages over Vix in my approximately 9 months of using it on my Duo.

• Advertisement
    byte

I've no crash logs now, as far as I know.

I could no longer dl plugins, EPG updates either ended up not updating or just crashing. I couldn't even make an image backup without a stall at 20/100 followed minutes later with a restart.

Anyway, before I went and fresh installed VIX again, I decided to give BH a try. First thing I noticed is how it recognised my DVBT stick without added drivers. And that it seems to run a bit smoother. Admittedly, I've not added much, bar taking ages to install a damn softcam...

Will see how it goes over the next week or so. The EPG is indeed rubbish compared to VIX.

Yes, DVBT works much better with BH as you say. That alone is probably enough reason to use it over Vix.

From the sounds of your Vix issues, it could have been corrupted swap, or USB not mounting properly. I haven't had those issues myself but from reading other forums, that seems to signal the same issue. A re flash should sort that.

In general, I've found Vix faster than BH. But this is for satellite only. I wasn't using DVBT on Vix (as I couldn't source the right driver). In the end, I no longer need my DVBT usb device any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

byte did you install tspanel in BH. I have tried vix, openli, openatv and prefer bh by far. openatv is perfect for beginners but but no good for usb dtt. vix kept crashing. i have the uno. openpli was poor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    byte did you install tspanel in BH. I have tried vix, openli, openatv and prefer bh by far. openatv is perfect for beginners but but no good for usb dtt. vix kept crashing. i have the uno. openpli was poor as well.

Blackhole by far.

It has everything that the others have - and more besides.

For me, Autocam. Nobody else does it, I couldn't live without it (well I could but channel-surfing would be a major pain!).

byte

No, I didn't. I saw it mentioned somewhere on the many fora I trawled through to install a softcam, but didn't notice any download link for it.

Should I make an effort to install it?

Also, EPG button doesn't display an EPG as I'd expect.

yes once you see it you will understand why its essential, give me a moment to rack my brain , the one i have is tspanel 7.2, and I am sure I used vucc to install it,
    its here,
    http://www.vuplusteam.com/threads/333-TSpanel-plugin/page3

and its ipk format.

i set my box up a few months back.

for the epg i went through a long process that i have now forgotten but i must have it written somewhere. when i press epg i get current prog, then i get yellow for single epg and then blue for multi epg, when i press blue i get now, next, more, and add timer. and thats when i watch saorsat at 9east, if i go to 28east i have bouquets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

for usb dtt. vix kept crashing. i have the uno. openpli was poor as well.

VU released new drivers in late summer that fixed the DTT issue on Vix with VuDuo. I use Nova TD with Duo and have no crash on DTT since summer.

will the fix work with play tv as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

will the fix work with play tv as well?

Should do. They both use same driver.

givecredit wrote: »
    VU released new drivers in late summer that fixed the DTT issue on Vix with VuDuo. I use Nova TD with Duo and have no crash on DTT since summer.

Where can you download drivers from Vu for usb DTT?

• Advertisement

radiowaves wrote: »
    Blackhole by far.

It has everything that the others have - and more besides.

For me, Autocam. Nobody else does it, I couldn't live without it (well I could but channel-surfing would be a major pain!).

Ok, i may be being thick here but whats Autocam?

:D

Ok, i may be being thick here but whats Autocam?

:D

Not thick at all.

Autocam automatically switches to a softcam (or local card) mapped to a particular channel. So, if you have some channels that only open in MGCamd or Oscam but others that open best in CCCam, or indeed you have local cards, Autocam automatically changes to the desired softcam on selection of a channel saving the necessity of going through the menus to manuallý change the softcam.

byte

Installed TSpanel on BH there, though haven't figured out what benefits lie within yet.

TSPanel isn't supported by the Vix or BH teams. Use at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Its useful for some plugins not on the official feed but not everything works.

byte wrote: »
    Installed TSpanel on BH there, though haven't figured out what benefits lie within yet.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

byte

One issue I've found with BH is that randomly, a channel will stop working; it'll change to DVB Service and a banner about "service not found in xxxx" or something (don't recall what xxxx was, but it's the same message that appears on VIX when you select a channel that's moved freq)

Channel hopping fixes it, until the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Byte have you tried autobouquets ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9 polomora

Sorry, newbie question.

I've been using OpenPli (a version from April 2013) on my VU+ Duo. In general I'm happy with it, except that if I try to do too much (record two channels and simultaneously play back one of them in time-lapse) it crashes. I'm told it's because of the Duo's limited memory.

What is Blackhole? Another Enigma2-based distribution?
    How does it differ from OpenPLi?
    I read on this forum that it's more reliable?

Can i install the same plugins on it like OpenPLi?

Many thanks,
    Paul

polomora wrote: »
    Sorry, newbie question.

I've been using OpenPli (a version from April 2013) on my VU+ Duo. In general I'm happy with it, except that if I try to do too much (record two channels and simultaneously play back one of them in time-lapse) it crashes. I'm told it's because of the Duo's limited memory.

What is Blackhole? Another Enigma2-based distribution?
    How does it differ from OpenPLi?
    I read on this forum that it's more reliable?

Can i install the same plugins on it like OpenPLi?

Many thanks,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Blackhole is another image just like OpenPLI.

If your system is crashing due to lack of memory it'll be difficult to rectify that but Blackhole does allow you to disable many processes that others include.

In your situation it might be worth a try.

• Advertisement
    byte

Tony wrote: »
    Byte have you tried autobouquets ?
    I had tried it with VIX when it first came out, but I can't fully remember why I got rid of it again, and kept with my favoured Catseye bouquets. Though I recall having to rescan channels.

I don't think I'll bother with it on BH either. Just stick to what I'm happy enough with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement