Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

A few months back, I got some helpful advice from banie and for one reason and another, I'm only getting around to using it now.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to have one bouquet that includes all the available FTA and Saorview channels.
    banie01 wrote: »
    If you are using the current VIX you have no need for a 28.2 bouquet as the Autobouquets maker will create and keep up to date a bouquet for you.
    Press Menu>Setup>Service Searching>Autobouquets Maker
    Then you can select your Region including NI\ROI and any UK region preferred, enable HD swap, create seperate bouquets for Entertainment, Movies, Sports, etc. and set it to run automatically to update channels automatically.
    As for the 3 rock saorview bouquet, just run a manual scan on your DVB-T tuner on 738mhz with the step interval changed to 8mhz the scan will create a bouquet for you in last scanned and you can just rename it to Irish DTT via your remote.

I've chosen FreeSat & Northern Ireland in Autobouquet and done a successful scan of Saorview.

But, I can't see how to rename the Last Scanned set to Irish DTT. Also, I'd prefer to have all channels in the one bouquet - makes it easier for the missus. I know that I can download a program to edit the bouquet, but not sure if that's the easiest way to solve this?

I can't find a setting to enable HD swap (not really sure what it is either or if I should use it). I'm seeing plenty of the VIX logo even while changing channels, I've seen a few people on the thread mention using a USB stick to hold some files, would that be something to look into to reduce the VIX logo appearances?

EDIT: Just found this thread which describes the Autobouquet plugin which is built into VIX now and I'd say I'll figure how to do some of this stuff soon enough. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056747039&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

hi,

was using my duo all yesterday, looking at eurosport, all was fine.
    went to a dtt channel, and it was a blank screen. that has not happened to me before, but I have heard reports, so rebooted. that sorted the dtt issue, but now all the sat tuner configs seem to be messed up.

If I go to a sat channel, it says that the channel is not configured, please check the settings, or words to that effect.

I have gone and checked the tuner config, and I can't seem to select a satellite, it is only automatic, or not configured.

If I set it to be mode simple(no diseqc), and automatic, it goes to a screen 'checking tuner 0 diseqc port a for astra 2 28.2e', and just sits there. there is a red abort button, but pressing the red button does nothing.

this happened at about 10/11 last night, so just left it. it was still the same way this morning.

The box is not frozen because i can go the web interface, and zap to a dtt channel ok (but the checking tuner box is still there)
    The remote will only turn up/down the volume at the moment.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

kierank01 wrote: »
    hi,

was using my duo all yesterday, looking at eurosport, all was fine.
    went to a dtt channel, and it was a blank screen. that has not happened to me before, but I have heard reports, so rebooted. that sorted the dtt issue, but now all the sat tuner configs seem to be messed up.

If I go to a sat channel, it says that the channel is not configured, please check the settings, or words to that effect.

I have gone and checked the tuner config, and I can't seem to select a satellite, it is only automatic, or not configured.

If I set it to be mode simple(no diseqc), and automatic, it goes to a screen 'checking tuner 0 diseqc port a for astra 2 28.2e', and just sits there. there is a red abort button, but pressing the red button does nothing.

this happened at about 10/11 last night, so just left it. it was still the same way this morning.

The box is not frozen because i can go the web interface, and zap to a dtt channel ok (but the checking tuner box is still there)
    The remote will only turn up/down the volume at the moment.

any ideas?

Reload a satellites.xml file and that may allow you to select a satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks.
    Anyone having issues with a USB swapfile causing their box to hang?
    I'm having major issues lately with VIX spinners and unreponsive Vu Duo.
    I've just shifted my swapfile from a USB key back across to the internal HD and the box seems to be much more stable.

**It could be a case that my box is on the way out, I'm thinking my flash memory may be on the way out.
    That said moving the swap file seems to have improved the situation greatly so it could be the USB key at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Working fine for me with the latest VIX. I am using a new usb stick from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007ZSN7U0/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

I have a 64MB swap active on the usb, and epg on usb also.

I only installed VIX a couple of weeks ago, after being a long time Black Hole user. I have to say, VIX is seriously snappy and a joy to use. It has improved greatly in the past year since I used it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Folks.
    Anyone having issues with a USB swapfile causing their box to hang?
    I'm having major issues lately with VIX spinners and unreponsive Vu Duo.
    I've just shifted my swapfile from a USB key back across to the internal HD and the box seems to be much more stable.

**It could be a case that my box is on the way out, I'm thinking my flash memory may be on the way out.
    That said moving the swap file seems to have improved the situation greatly so it could be the USB key at fault.

banie
    I think moving any rw resource to the HDD will cause the HDD to spin constantly, it'll never sleep and thus the box will use more power and may be louder and suffer from greater wear and tear.

The vix image is constantly being updated with gold plating, stuff that users didn't really ask for bu that the "developers" thought wuld be a great idea. The result - it's now a bit more confusing to use than it used to be but tragically, it's slower than it ever was. I constantly get the spinning vix for acts as simple as changing channels. As they add more "stuff", they introduce more bugs. Ive recently had stupid bugs (I mean doozies) in areas such as setting up an auto timer, not being able to cancel an auto timer, network browser etc. IME Their forum is a clique for back slapping and self congratulations. Anyone who dares complain, suggest improvements, etc gets hammered.

Alas it's still the best of a bad lot. I'd love for it to get into the hands of a pro team for a refactor. It could be special. Also bear in mind that the box itself is awful when it comes to performance. Very mean memory, very slow processor. As a 3-4 year old PC, it's spec always sucked.

After some further digging and some advice over on W.O.S it seems this could be a capacitor problem.
    Off to buy me some caps and dig out my soldering iron!

radiowaves wrote: »
    Reload a satellites.xml file and that may allow you to select a satellite.
    hey, thanks for the reply.

I was able to find a satellites.xml file generator on the web, and pulled down a file, replaced the file /etc/tuxbox/satellites.xml with that, and rebooted.

did not resolve the issue :(

the actual error that I am getting is 'service unavailable! check tuner configuration!'

I was able to find a satellites.xml file generator on the web, and pulled down a file, replaced the file /etc/tuxbox/satellites.xml with that, and rebooted.

the actual error that I am getting is 'service unavailable! check tuner configuration!'

I know this a stupid question, but have you checked your cables?
    Do you have an old settings backup? Or an old image?
    Try restoring that 1st?

I know this a stupid question, but have you checked your cables?
    Do you have an old settings backup? Or an old image?
    Try restoring that 1st?

Hi, yeah I have plugged the cables into a sky box, and they are fine...

Haven't restored a config yet...will give it a go when I get back home...

• Advertisement

So, unless you have a backup of your settings file, you will need to retune.

The satellite xml reload was because in your original description the original file sounds corrupted - there were no satellites to select. Just reloading the settings file wouldn't have worked.

It happens to me every now and again.

So in the hopes that my Duo was suffering from the known capacitor issue, I swapped the C807 capacitor and still the Issue persists
    It took @11 minutes for the box to boot and there seems to be no real improvement.
    Is this symptomatic of failing flash?
    If it is, is it possible to buy a new MB? and approximate price?

FIXED!!! For now at least ;) see post #3105

So, unless you have a backup of your settings file, you will need to retune.

The satellite xml reload was because in your original description the original file sounds corrupted - there were no satellites to select. Just reloading the settings file wouldn't have worked.

It happens to me every now and again.

I think you may not be getting what I am trying to say...

from time to time channels change, and you have to rescan certain transponders, this is normal, and the error that you would get at that point would be 'tune failed', but is not what is happening here...

I have attempted a manual scan on a transponder, just like I did last week, and i am getting:
    nothing to scan!
    Please setup your tuner settings before you start a service scan.

attached is a screenshot of both my sat tuners.
    The last time I checked, where it says automatic, you would be able to choose from a wide range of satellites, now it is auto, or 'not configured'

nothing to scan!

The last time I checked, where it says automatic, you would be able to choose from a wide range of satellites, now it is auto, or 'not configured'

This points to your sats .xml file being either empty, or in the wrong location as this option is populated via the satellites listed in your .xml file.

I know you already said you loaded a new .xml file but remember the default location for the .xml in VIX is different to most other images in that VIX looks in /etc/enigma2 before it looks etc/tuxbox and if even an empty .xml is in the etc/enigma2 location it will disregard the /tuxbox file.
    So my advice would be reload a new .xml to the correct location and see if that makes any difference.

I got my own box sorted now! :D
    I replaced the c807 capacitor with no joy, so I replaced the 2 adjacent caps aswell and also deleted my network mounts and I'm happy to report that while boot from cold is still quite slow....
    The box itself is running sweet as a nut again!

I think you may not be getting what I am trying to say...

from time to time channels change, and you have to rescan certain transponders, this is normal, and the error that you would get at that point would be 'tune failed', but is not what is happening here...

I have attempted a manual scan on a transponder, just like I did last week, and i am getting:
    nothing to scan!

I know exactly what you're trying to say - it's happened to me too as I said.

Delete the sats.xml file.

Reboot.

Upload new one.

Reboot.

Upload a backup settings file or retune your sats.

This points to your sats .xml file being either empty, or in the wrong location as this option is populated via the satellites listed in your .xml file.

I know you already said you loaded a new .xml file but remember the default location for the .xml in VIX is different to most other images in that VIX looks in /etc/enigma2 before it looks etc/tuxbox and if even an empty .xml is in the etc/enigma2 location it will disregard the /tuxbox file.
    So my advice would be reload a new .xml to the correct location and see if that makes any difference.

I got my own box sorted now! :D
    I replaced the c807 capacitor with no joy, so I replaced the 2 adjacent caps aswell and also deleted my network mounts and I'm happy to report that while boot from cold is still quite slow....
    The box itself is running sweet as a nut again!

Was hoping that this was going to be the silver bullet, but alas no.

below is the telnet CLI, there was no satellite.xml in the enigma2 folder.
    copied the new file to both locations, and rebooted, but no joy.
    vuduo login: root
    root@vuduo:~# cd /
    root@vuduo:/# ls
    autofs  boot    etc     home    media   proc    share   tmp     var
    bin     dev     hdd     lib     mnt     sbin    sys     usr
    root@vuduo:/# cd etc
    root@vuduo:/etc# cd enigma2/
    root@vuduo:/etc/enigma2# ls
    autotimer.xml                 userbouquet.dbe00.tv
    blacklist                     userbouquet.dbe01.tv
    bouquets.radio                userbouquet.dbe02.tv
    bouquets.tv                   userbouquet.dbe03.tv
    cacert.pem                    userbouquet.dbe04.tv
    cert.pem                      userbouquet.dbe05.tv
    crossepg                      userbouquet.dbe06.tv
    epg.dat                       userbouquet.dbe07.tv
    key.pem                       userbouquet.dbe08.tv
    lamedb                        userbouquet.dbe0d.tv
    playlist.e2pls                userbouquet.dbe0e.tv
    profile                       userbouquet.dbe14.tv
    satellites.xml                userbouquet.dbe1a.tv
    server.pem                    userbouquet.dbe20.tv
    settings                      userbouquet.extra__tv_.tv
    timers.xml                    userbouquet.favourites.radio
    userbouquet.94b4c.radio       userbouquet.favourites.tv
    userbouquet.LastScanned.tv    whitelist
    root@vuduo:/etc/enigma2# cd ../tuxbox/
    root@vuduo:/etc/tuxbox# ls
    cables.xml         satellites0ld.xml  terrestrial.xml
    config             scce               timezone.xml
    root@vuduo:/etc/tuxbox# cp ../enigma2/satellites.xml satellites.xml
    cables.xml         satellites.xml     scce               timezone.xml
    config             satellites0ld.xml  terrestrial.xml
    root@vuduo:/etc/tuxbox# reboot

Glad you got yours sorted...

Was hoping that this was going to be the silver bullet, but alas no.

below is the telnet CLI, there was no satellite.xml in the enigma2 folder.
    copied the new file to both locations, and rebooted, but no joy.
    vuduo login: root
    root@vuduo:~# cd /
    root@vuduo:/# ls
    autofs  boot    etc     home    media   proc    share   tmp     var
    bin     dev     hdd     lib     mnt     sbin    sys     usr
    root@vuduo:/# cd etc
    root@vuduo:/etc# cd enigma2/
    root@vuduo:/etc/enigma2# ls
    autotimer.xml                 userbouquet.dbe00.tv
    blacklist                     userbouquet.dbe01.tv
    bouquets.radio                userbouquet.dbe02.tv
    bouquets.tv                   userbouquet.dbe03.tv
    cacert.pem                    userbouquet.dbe04.tv
    cert.pem                      userbouquet.dbe05.tv
    crossepg                      userbouquet.dbe06.tv
    epg.dat                       userbouquet.dbe07.tv
    key.pem                       userbouquet.dbe08.tv
    lamedb                        userbouquet.dbe0d.tv
    playlist.e2pls                userbouquet.dbe0e.tv
    profile                       userbouquet.dbe14.tv
    satellites.xml                userbouquet.dbe1a.tv
    server.pem                    userbouquet.dbe20.tv
    settings                      userbouquet.extra__tv_.tv
    timers.xml                    userbouquet.favourites.radio
    userbouquet.94b4c.radio       userbouquet.favourites.tv
    userbouquet.LastScanned.tv    whitelist
    root@vuduo:/etc/enigma2# cd ../tuxbox/
    cables.xml         satellites0ld.xml  terrestrial.xml
    config             scce               timezone.xml
    root@vuduo:/etc/tuxbox# cp ../enigma2/satellites.xml satellites.xml
    cables.xml         satellites.xml     scce               timezone.xml
    config             satellites0ld.xml  terrestrial.xml
    root@vuduo:/etc/tuxbox# reboot

Glad you got yours sorted...

Simply uploading the new satellites.xml file is not enough. You uploaded a new one to replace the corrupted one. The satellites should now appear in your tuner configuration menu but (again, unless you have a back-up of your settings file) you will need to reconfigure the satellites.

I said retune earlier - I should've said reconfigure. My bad.

Simply uploading the new satellites.xml file is not enough. You uploaded a new one to replace the corrupted one. The satellites should now appear in your tuner configuration menu but (again, unless you have a back-up of your settings file) you will need to reconfigure the satellites.

I said retune earlier - I should've said reconfigure. My bad.

+1 A reboot isn't enough.
    You need to redo your tuner config and then rescan after you have loaded the new sats.xml and rebooted the box.

Right, in my own case.
    I am in a quandry and have nothing else to logically blame but VIX :/
    My box was humming along after my repair job and then I start getting spinning VIX logos for 20minutes plus again!
    So to I start testing out other images to see if the issue persists.
    Blackhole, Vti, OpenATV, OpenPLi 3 and OpenPLi4 all run perfectly well, no hanging.
    So I tried some of my older ViX images all eventually hung :(
    Fresh install of the latest Vic(.766) with no backup restored, same result.
    And whats even stranger is that my favourite Plug-in Project Valerie will not run on VIX anymore for me when it was fine previously?
    Even the image backup with PVMC installed that worked perfectly well previously crashes now(its .679 build)
    So I tried ViX's bundled mediabrowser from their feeds and that crashed my box too!
    It really is very strange!
    But as it stands Vix is off my Vu Duo for the foreseeable now to just decide which image to replace it.

You need to redo your tuner config and then rescan after you have loaded the new sats.xml and rebooted the box.

Right, in my own case.
    I am in a quandry and have nothing else to logically blame but VIX :/
    My box was humming along after my repair job and then I start getting spinning VIX logos for 20minutes plus again!
    So to I start testing out other images to see if the issue persists.
    Blackhole, Vti, OpenATV, OpenPLi 3 and OpenPLi4 all run perfectly well, no hanging.
    So I tried some of my older ViX images all eventually hung :(
    Fresh install of the latest Vic(.766) with no backup restored, same result.
    And whats even stranger is that my favourite Plug-in Project Valerie will not run on VIX anymore for me when it was fine previously?
    Even the image backup with PVMC installed that worked perfectly well previously crashes now(its .679 build)
    So I tried ViX's bundled mediabrowser from their feeds and that crashed my box too!
    It really is very strange!
    But as it stands Vix is off my Vu Duo for the foreseeable now to just decide which image to replace it.

Found all sorts of issues with Vix (although was new to Enigma 2 at the time).

Having went through most other images I settled on Blackhole. It's not without issues but is the best for my box.

Found all sorts of issues with Vix (although was new to Enigma 2 at the time).

Having went through most other images I settled on Blackhole. It's not without issues but is the best for my box.

When I 1st got into this hobby I was a huge fan of OpenPLi and thats what I'm back to at the moment but I have downloaded BH2.06 and am going to give that a whirl again later.

Vix is handy for those staring out as it comes fairly much good to go with no user input so its very wife and kid friendly ;)
    But tbh I'd rather have something like BH or Pli that I can customize.

The PVMC thing has me really scratching my head though, as even I cannot fathom what is causing it to crash out on even my backup image where it previously worked perfectly?

• Advertisement

When I 1st got into this hobby I was a huge fan of OpenPLi and thats what I'm back to at the moment but I have downloaded BH2.06 and am going to give that a whirl again later.

Vix is handy for those staring out as it comes fairly much good to go with no user input so its very wife and kid friendly ;)
    But tbh I'd rather have something like BH or Pli that I can customize.

The PVMC thing has me really scratching my head though, as even I cannot fathom what is causing it to crash out on even my backup image where it previously worked perfectly?

I can't help you with your problem mate - wish I could :)

I agree Vix was easy but I like playing with my box as much as watching it!

Is OpenPLI the one that doesn't allow numeric or keyboard input via the remote control on VU+? I liked it apart from that - although there is one plugin which only Blackhole has, others haven't and the PLI team insist there's no need for. I might've stuck with their image other than that (both the lack of the plugin and the "we know best" attitude).

There are some issues with BH2.06. After scanning a satellite it green screens but everything is ok on reboot. You probably - like me - just use your own channellist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I was using VIX at the start, then moved to Black Hole for about 10 months. I've gone back to Vix and have to say it is certainly the slickest out there.

Important not to load any of the images with too many plugins. I usually just put onDemand, and one or two plugins. Too many will slow things down.

Finally, the most unbelievably class skin called MyMetrix is on Vix, and it is nicer than any skin I've ever seen (and nicer than Sky or UPC).

http://mymetrix.de/

Sorry, meant to say that when I rebooted, I attempted to reconfigure the tuners, and this is what has not worked.

It is still the same auto or not configured :(

at this stage after having done a factory reset, and a restore from some old settings, and since I am not on the latest image, I am just going to reflash, and see how that goes...

Sorry, meant to say that when I rebooted, I attempted to reconfigure the tuners, and this is what has not worked.

It is still the same auto or not configured :(

at this stage after having done a factory reset, and a restore from some old settings, and since I am not on the latest image, I am just going to reflash, and see how that goes...

Sorry to hear it didn't work.

Assuming the DTT is on USB have you unplugged it to see what happens?

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I was using VIX at the start, then moved to Black Hole for about 10 months. I've gone back to Vix and have to say it is certainly the slickest out there.

Important not to load any of the images with too many plugins. I usually just put onDemand, and one or two plugins. Too many will slow things down.

Agreed!
    I generally just run a cam, Project Valerie and Livefootball.
    Keep the image pared back to just the essentials.
    Allowing the image to be pared to a minimum is one of the things I like most about Vti/Pli/Blackhole....
    Those images allow you to strip out anything un-needed at the install stage(or anytime after) to allow even better performance and resource management while in the case of Vti and BH in particular offering much better immediate USB tuner support.
    Whereas(and I'm not knocking this in any shape or form)VIX comes good to go and very user friendly from the get-go.
    It is a very user friendly and easy to get grips with image especially with regards button mappings and so on, in VIX they are very intuitive whereas most other images need a little time with multiquick button or similar.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Finally, the most unbelievably class skin called MyMetrix is on Vix, and it is nicer than any skin I've ever seen (and nicer than Sky or UPC).
    http://mymetrix.de/

Mymetrix is a lovely skin/UI tweak but it is available across all images.
    I am currently using it myself with OpenPli 3.0, I wouldn't tie myself to a particular image based on a particular skin especially when it is available across the board.

As for my own issues with VIX spinners and hanging....
    I've solved them :D by ditching VIX.
    Currently the Vu is running OpenPli and PVMC and I have not had 1 issue with spinners/unresponsiveness.
    What I find most strange about my issue with VIX though, is that even my ''known good'' backup images.
    Images that I know are/were perfect.
    No software problems, ran perfectly.
    They all have the same issue on reinstallation!
    A known good backup, runs like mud when reinstalled?
    So then I try clean flashs with no restore and the issue still persisted.
    It was those issues that led me to believe I had a possible hardware issue and indeed led me to get out my soldering Iron and swap out capacitors.
    But on non VIX images the problem doesn't reoccur(while even after the hardware changes it still persists on VIX) means to my mind at least that it is not a hardware problem at all.
    But TBH, now that I have a good configuration again, I'm not going to spend anymore time worrying about it.....
    And sure we all know if I flag the issue on WOS it will end up actually being my fault anyway!

And sure we all know if I flag the issue on WOS it will end up actually being my fault anyway!
    You can't be serious :P

I did a reflash, and am back up and running as well, now back to watching telly

You can't be serious :P

Not at all ;) Tis probably me just being slightly cynical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

Originally Posted by banie01
    Mymetrix is a lovely skin/UI tweak but it is available across all images.

I am using latest Blackhole image 2.0.6 rev C and tried to install MyMetrix but get the message
    "Sorry this skin is not compatible with the current Black Hole image version"

I know BH don't support MyMetrix as they think it is too heavy on resources and slow down image, but I was wondering..is there any way around this?

Greenpiece wrote: »
    I am using latest Blackhole image 2.0.6 rev C and tried to install MyMetrix but get the message
    "Sorry this skin is not compatible with the current Black Hole image version"

I know BH don't support MyMetrix as they think it is too heavy on resources and slow down image, but I was wondering..is there any way around this?

Personally I'd agree with BH dev's as while it is a ''skin'' of sorts it is really a complete new overlay/UI that does tend to hog resources.
    I was using it until yesterday on OpenPli(And I have used it on various other images over the last few years) but I reverted to a normal skin as a lot of the integrated features were never going to be used by me.
    For example the MyMetrix skin integrates EMC and merlinmusicplayer directly into the skin, which is brilliant if you use those!
    But I'm a big PVMC fan so the EMC integration was no use to me.
    It also contains a number of widgets that if not managed well, will hog your system resources.
    That said, It is a lovely looking interface with great customization tweaks and I honestly have never had a resource issue whilst using it(That said I use a 96mb swapfile and a low footprint setup)

As for how to get MyMetrix running on BH2.0.6c maybe something here can help?
    Sorry I can't be more help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

what skins is everyone using? i use pli hd one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement