Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

10.20Km in 1:16:21 (7:29 min/Km) around Ballivor

Lovely easy run. It has restored a bit of the self-confidence I lost after last Friday’s debacle. Nothing scheduled now before the 10-mile on Saturday. I have predicted a 1:49:00 for that. Will have to wait and see. Anyway it’s going to be a PB, as I have never raced that far before.

I didn’t actually get out running on Tuesday but did spend the afternoon trekking through Mullaghmeen Forest with the family and the pooches. While I wasn’t exactly running I’m going to claim the mileage (5Km), as they haven’t stopped complaining about it yet :rolleyes: so it must have been a workout of sorts. :D

Total this Week: 25.83Km
    Total this Month: 144.98Km
    Total this Year: 1,057.56Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 121 out of 229 days (52%)

Average runs per week: 3.63
    Average distance per week: 31.83Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck MCS. :)

littlebug wrote: »
    best of luck MCS. :)

I don't need luck. I just need to remember where I hid the bike in the Park :pac::pac::pac:

16.37Km in 1:56:45 (chip time) 1:55:32 (watch time) (7:07/04 min/Km) Frank Duffy 10 Mile, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Race Report

Having had a disaster of a LSR last week I was looking for a confidence booster out of this one. I decided that I wasn’t going to race this one (i.e. I wasn’t trying to see how fast I could run a 10-miler). The strategy was to run it at the pace I planned to run the marathon at and see how it felt.

Saturday morning dawned bright and cool, with a little wind. I got up at 6.30am and had breakfast put away by 7am. Got my gear together and was out the door by 8am. Little or no traffic around so was parked up just inside Castleknock Gate by 8.45am. Took advantage of the queue-less state of the lavies and wandered back to the car to get ready.

Set off in the 3rd wave, approx 10 min after the leading wave. Conscious of the need to temper the pace, I held back to a conservative 7:30 min/Km pace. After about 2Km I pushed on to bring the pace up to close to the planned 7:00-ish min/Km. I was feeling very comfortable and running well within myself. The shade along by the Hole in the Wall was very welcome and then we approached the first water station. At this stage about 4 to 5 thousand runners had already been through, and it looked it. Fair play to the volunteers, I could see them frantically filling cups as the crowds swarmed around them. I decided not to stop and trundled through, the empty discarded water cups crunching under my feet.

4 miles came up and we regained Chesterfield Avenue for the 2nd time. Its not often I get to run shoulder to shoulder with the quality end of the field but for one fleeting moment I had Catriona McKiernan pacing along beside me. I say fleeting as she swiftly pulled away and was soon gone from sight. I hope it was as memorable for her as it was for me. This was potentially the most dangerous part of the course for me. I don’t have the best of records of performing well after having been lapped. However my eyes were fixated on the port-a-loos along the start straight as I was in bad need. Suitably relieved I rejoined the trudging throng and moved on towards the 5-mile marker.

6 miles came up and I was pacing along by another runner. She kept speeding up as I came alongside and then slowing down again. This went on for a while and I wanted to tell her to even out the pace but didn’t. I passed her just after the Wellington Monument and didn’t see her again. I was now approaching familiar territory from the Great Ireland Trudge of last April and had some idea of what the next few miles held for me. I maintained an even effort up past the Magazine Fort and kept it going right through the 7, 8 and 9-mile markers. Back on level-ish ground now I struggled a bit as my thoughts projected on to the finish. Gathering my thoughts I refocused on the job in hand and regained my form. I was now passing more and more people and felt strong again. Back onto Chesterfield for the 3rd and last time and then onto the home straight. I looked ahead to sight the finish line, to time my devilish kick for home but wasn’t sure where it was, as it seemed to blend into the background. Finally eyed and kicked for home, a demon 6:03 min/Km pace over the last 300 metres. I’m amazed the mats even detected me passing through at that lick.

Job Done.

I am delighted with my pacing, and my performance up the hills in the second half of the course. Just need to string together another 16 miles at that pace.

I’ll find another opportunity to test myself over the 10-mile distance a different day. Today was all about the pacing.

Total this Week: 42.20Km
    Total this Month: 161.35Km
    Total this Year: 1,073.93Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 122 out of 232 days (52%)

Average runs per week: 3.63
    Average distance per week: 31.83Km

5.10Km in 37:35 (7:22 min/Km) around Ballivor

A nice easy recovery run after the exertions in the Phoenix Park.

Total this Week: 47.30Km
    Total this Month: 166.45Km
    Total this Year: 1,079.03Km
    Runs this Week: 5
    Runs 123 out of 233 days (52%)

Average runs per week: 3.79
    Average distance per week: 33.27Km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

are you doing the half as well? And with the same plan?

RayCun wrote: »
    are you doing the half as well? And with the same plan?

No. I have to fit in 3 x 32Km LSRs and a 5 mile race into September so the timing of the Half in the Park is not good. After Saturday I am happy to stick to the schedule (famous last words:rolleyes:)

Well done MCS and fair play for sticking to the planned lsr pace! A great confidence boost after last weeks tough one.

10.30Km in 1:14:18 (7:12 min/Km) around Ballivor

Another nice, easy, uneventful, run. The showers had died down and the wind abated somewhat by the time I went out (11.17pm).

Total this Week: 10.30Km
    Total this Month: 176.75Km
    Total this Year: 1,089.33Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 124 out of 234 days (52%)

2.10Km in 15:59 (7:37 min/Km) and 8.20Km in 1:01:10 (7:28 min/Km) (total - 10.30Km in 1:17:09 (7:30 min/Km)) around Ballivor

First run was with my eldest and my niece. Second run was the more serious end of the business. Handy enough trot around the metropolis.

Total this Week: 20.60Km
    Total this Month: 187.05Km
    Total this Year: 1,099.63Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 125 out of 237 days (52%)

• Advertisement

7.06Km in 48:14 (6:50 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

A warm enough evening for a run. Pleasant sunshine. Felt the pace a bit thanks to the aforementioned warm evening and pleasant sunshine.

Rest day tomorrow, Thursday, then a 29Km on Friday (18 miles). Oh joy!!!

Total this Week: 27.66Km
    Total this Month: 194.11Km
    Total this Year: 1,106.69Km
    Runs 126 out of 238 days (53%)

25.43Km in 3:28:40 (8:12 min/Km) around Trim

Plan

The intention was to do 29Km. It didn’t happen. I’ve been putting off my shorter runs till the cooler evenings/nights so why in the name of all that's big and hairy do I continue to insist on running my LSRs during the heat of the day? Answers, please, on the back of a €5.00 note.

Execution

The strategy was to run 3 x 8.3Km loops, hydrating at the end of each loop, and then a short whatever needed to bring the distance up to the 29Km. The pace was fine from the outset. It was warm though. First loop completed, no probs. Second loop, a bit harder but no great difficulty. Just over halfway into the third loop I stopped sweating. This was not a good sign. Ended up walking the most part of the remainder back to the office.

Analysis

Need to have a major re-assessment on the timing of my LSRs. Also, the hydration strategy may need some tweaking. 20-miler due next Friday – watch this space.

Total this Week: 53.09Km
    Total this Month: 219.54Km
    Total this Year: 1,132.12Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 127 out of 240 days (53%)

9.08Km in 1:08:45 (7:34 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

It was nice and cool (dark also, 11pm)

No fallout from yesterday. First time managing to get the short run in the day after the LSR.

Total this Week: 62.17Km
    Total this Month: 228.62Km
    Total this Year: 1,141.20Km
    Runs this Week: 5
    Runs 128 out of 241 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.71
    Average distance per week: 33.14Km

Just over halfway into the third loop I stopped sweating. This was not a good sign.

Eeek :eek: Could you carry a water bottle or wear one of those belts with the little bottles?

Eeek :eek: Could you carry a water bottle or wear one of those belts with the little bottles?

Don’t like carrying anything in my hands when running – hand/arm tends to cramp after a while. Had a look at some of those water belts (on others) during the Frank Duffy 10 Mile. They don’t really appeal to me too much. :rolleyes:

The idea of running the loops was to allow for hydration. I’m thinking shorter loops - 5Km as that is distance between water stations in DCM; later start – get my *ss out of the sun/heat.

Still got 8 weeks to find out what works. :confused:

Not sweating does not work. :o

10.09Km in 1:13:44 (7:19 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Waited for the cool of the evening for this run. Waited a bit too long, though. Didn’t start till 21:49pm. I’m getting great use out of my Petzl LED head torch on these late night saunters around the field. It also saves the neighbours complaining about the field floodlights being at all hours.

Total this Week: 10.09Km
    Total this Month: 238.71Km
    Total this Year: 1,151.29Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 129 out of 243 days (53%)

10.09Km in 1:11:26 (7:05 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Easy enough run. Took first 8Km at PMP then pushed on a bit for the final 2Km.

Total this Week: 20.18Km
    Total this Month: 248.80Km
    Total this Year: 1,161.38Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 130 out of 244 days (53%)

8.08Km in 59:31 (7:22 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Bloody good weather. Too hot to run at lunchtime, county board meeting this evening so out after work for a trot around the field. It was still pretty warm but not as bad as earlier.

Handy enough run.

Been giving a lot of thought to how I might approach Friday’s LSR. I’ve had a couple of unfortunate experiences on the last two.

So what have they taught me? Firstly, watch my pace from the outset. It’s all too easy to bash away and then find the first 5 miles or so is way too fast and then regret it later. Secondly, hydrate properly. Water stations in the DCM are every 5Km so instead of the current 5 miles between water stops I’m going to cut that down to 5Km. Thirdly, I’ve been running my LSR’s during the middle (read: heat) of the day. This despite having the sense to do the other runs in the evenings (or later, sometimes).

Bearing these in mind I have come up with a cunning plan. This Friday I’m going to do my LSR at the Club Grounds in the early evening. That way it will be cooling down as time passes.

Pros:

The lap is approx. 1Km
    There are “facilities” available if needed
    Can take on extra hydration if/as needed
    Somebody may take pity on me and join in for a few laps
    No traffic (unless you count flies)
    It’ll be so mind-numbing I might not feel anything

Cons:

The lap is approx. 1Km
    It’ll be so mind-numbing I might not feel anything
    There will be flies

Just as an aside. Is anybody else fed up with having to stick to a schedule, week in, week out? I just want to break free, and go for a trot around Mullaghmeen or along the beach at Gormanston with the dogs, not worrying whether I’ve kept the mileage up or skipped a day. Is this pre-taper madness or just normal for this stage in the training?

Total this Week: 28.26Km
    Total this Month: 8.08Km
    Total this Year: 1,169.46Km
    Runs 131 out of 245 days (53%)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, everybody feels like throwing away the schedule eventually and pace/hr/intervals/numbers in general become a huge chore towards the end of the program. That's when you start ticking the days off until the taper.

Don't see why you can't do your run around Mullaghmeen or run with the dogs anyway? Better to loosen up on the rigidity of the plan than to loose interest in the training altogether.

By the way, have you considered that DCM could be just as hot as the weather outside at the moment? It's been quite sunny for the last two years (if I remember correctly).

Yes, everybody feels like throwing away the schedule eventually and pace/hr/intervals/numbers in general become a huge chore towards the end of the program. That's when you start ticking the days off until the taper. ).

Glad its not just me then,,,,
    Don't see why you can't do your run around Mullaghmeen or run with the dogs anyway? Better to loosen up on the rigidity of the plan than to loose interest in the training altogether. ).

Yes, hmmm, Mullaghmeen, hmmm, interesting elevation profile attached….. :o

Dogs object when I go beyond 5Km, can't blame them myself:rolleyes:

By the way, have you considered that DCM could be just as hot as the weather outside at the moment? It's been quite sunny for the last two years (if I remember correctly).

Always the first with the good news…. :(

• Advertisement

Don't see why you can't do your run around Mullaghmeen or run with the dogs anyway? Better to loosen up on the rigidity of the plan than to loose interest in the training altogether. ).

The problem with Mullaghmeen or Gormanston is that it takes about an hour to get to either place, do your run, then an hour back.

[MOAN] I seem to be spending half my life running at the moment so it wouldn’t be the pleasure I’d want it to be. [/MOAN]

Eckin dogs always find some fox sh1t to roll in as well. Stinky car....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2008 was actually very cold.

2008 was actually very cold.

A voice of reason in the wilderness :)

Forgive me, Boards, for I have ranted.

It is 61.354567238Km (approx) since my last confession:o

but earlier in the day, yeah? Shouldn't be as hot as running lunchtime/early afternoon on a nice day around now?

RayCun wrote: »
    but earlier in the day, yeah? Shouldn't be as hot as running lunchtime/early afternoon on a nice day around now?

However, at my ponderous pace I won't be finishing until lunchtime/early afternoon..

It just gets worse and worse......:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

However, at my ponderous pace I won't be finishing until lunchtime/early afternoon..
    In that case, I'd be crossing my fingers for a nice sunny 10-12C :)

If it's anything like the weather for the Women's Mini-Marathon this year, it will be VERY difficult for me to get out of the bed for it. I *hate* rain.

I won't be finishing until lunchtime either, but it would be nice if the first 2/3 hours are relatively cool

Cool, overcast, gentle breeze.....

Just as an aside. Is anybody else fed up with having to stick to a schedule, week in, week out?

So far I think I'm actually functioning better with a schedule to follow than when I'm left to my own devices. There again I haven't hit the really long runs that you have yet.
    eek.... lsr in laps of 1k :eek: I considered similar but after one attempt (6 miles in however many loops) I abandoned that idea and that was on a nice scenic loop with lake/ forest etc. so ehh.. good luck with it:D! I think water every 5k is better. Maybe get used to carrying it for a little while? I wouldn't drink enough just passing through a water station and would carry the bottle and sip it over the next mile or so.

• Advertisement

I think water every 5k is better. Maybe get used to carrying it for a little while? I wouldn't drink enough just passing through a water station and would carry the bottle and sip it over the next mile or so.

Good thinking, Batman.

I’ll maybe carry one for a lap or so, then drop it back as I come thundering through.

I have previously done 16 laps (last December 29th to clinch the race to 500 miles :P) so what's another 16 on top of that?

Advertisement