Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Far be it for me to be seen to favour one race over another, but for those dependent on public transport the Dunboyne 4 Mile on the last Sunday in March is held during the day, with a Dublin Bus service on its doorstep.....
    Did I just hear the *clunk* of a hint being dropped? :)

Actually, if that's late March, it gives about 3 weeks to recover after Barcelona... /ponders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Did I just hear the *clunk* of a hint being dropped? :)

Actually, if that's late March, it gives about 3 weeks to recover after Barcelona... /ponders

27th March 2011. Nice flat fast course. And this is flat... The only incline is only an incline in comparison to the rest. Passes through Dunboyne several times so even back markers get to see the front runners finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

/needs to do some Meath races! :eek::D

Trim Braveheart 5km trail run in June! most fabulous spread of homemade cakes and buns and tea. started off with a rousing William Wallace-style motivational speech (by group of men wearing their daughters' school skirts: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/trimathleticclub/Cross%20Country%20Action/2010%20Braveheart%20Trail%20Run/?action=view&current=DSC_0641.jpg) = most fun race

10.21Km in 1:13:57 (7:15 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

A nice easy run to keep the legs turning over. I had some company for the whole run. The sheep are now on the field grazing :D

Total this Week: 10.20Km
    Total this Month: 192.29Km
    Total this Year: 1,353.67Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 145 out of 272 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.74
    Average distance per week: 34.95Km

marrona wrote: »
    Trim Braveheart 5km trail run in June! most fabulous spread of homemade cakes and buns and tea. started off with a rousing William Wallace-style motivational speech (by group of men wearing their daughters' school skirts: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/trimathleticclub/Cross%20Country%20Action/2010%20Braveheart%20Trail%20Run/?action=view&current=DSC_0641.jpg) = most fun race

That looks fantastic :D

• Advertisement

That looks fantastic :D

It was an excellent event. Good crowd, good course, good afters. Missed running in it myself due to a scheduled 10 miler that day. Next year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How'd the 20 miler go on friday mcs?
    Has the taper madness set in yet?

32.36Km in 4:22:01 (8:06 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Longest Blooming Run Ever. 20.11 miles, 33 mind-numbing, interminable, laps of the field. The sheep were no company whatsoever. Most I got out of them was an occasional baah!

Physically, comparing this to the 19.5-mile run of 5 weeks ago, I was a lot stronger this time. No pain at the end, just very stiff in the legs. Mentally, I found this a lot harder. At the end I was stopping after each lap for about ten seconds, then summoning the will to go around, just one more time…..

If I can now just combine the mental fortitude of the 19.5-miler and the physical condition of this 20-miler then I am confident of completing the distance.

Total this Week: 42.57Km
    Total this Month: 224.65Km
    Total this Year: 1,386.03Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 146 out of 275 days (53%)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

33 laps of a field, no wonder you found it tough! I'd be chasing the sheep with a chainsaw before I was halfway through

Longest Blooming Run Ever. 20.11 miles, 33 mind-numbing, interminable, laps of the field.
    [/B]

You won't even notice you're running in Dublin there'll be so much distraction! I found 3 laps boring... but 33! 33!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If I can now just combine the mental fortitude of the 19.5-miler and the physical condition of this 20-miler then I am confident of completing the distance.
    There is no question that you will complete the distance. The only question is, whether or not you'll smile for the photographers as you cross the finish line.

Race Report

6.36Km in 43:25 (6:50 min/Km) Meath Novice and Masters Cross Country Championships 2010, St. Brigid’s AC, Ballinacree, Co. Meath

A lovely day for a race. Up early and out to Ballinacree to perform my MCS duties. After an extensive program of juvenile races, cue the main event.

In the red corner, sporting blue shorts, red club singlet, and a very fetching red sweatband - Meathcountysec, in the blue corner, another cross country course.

While the course did not have the length of uphill drag that the Star of the Sea course sports, nevertheless the inclines were short and stiff. Even the flat parts around the GAA pitches seemed to claw at my feet.

I had issued a challenge to my fellow clubmen; anyone who didn’t lap me at least once was going to be drummed out of the club. In the end I was lapped by everyone in the field except one person. I actually beat him!! So, history is made, MCS doesn’t finish last in a Meath Championship event…. There must be something to this marathon-training lark after all!!

Couldn’t sleep last night, my legs were grumbling and I couldn’t just get comfortable enough to drop off for any significant period of time.

Total this Week: 48.93Km
    Total this Month: 231.01Km
    Total this Year: 1,392.39Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 147 out of 277 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.72
    Average distance per week: 35.31Km

RayCun wrote: »
    33 laps of a field, no wonder you found it tough! I'd be chasing the sheep with a chainsaw before I was halfway through

I was having fantasies about lamb chops at one stage, now you mention it.
    littlebug wrote: »
    You won't even notice you're running in Dublin there'll be so much distraction! I found 3 laps boring... but 33! 33!!:eek:

Its the lap of honour after finishing Dublin that I'm worrying about now...
    There is no question that you will complete the distance. The only question is, whether or not you'll smile for the photographers as you cross the finish line.

Will they still be there, that's the question. Every other race they seem to have b*ggered off for a cup of tea by the time I arrive into view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Longest Blooming Run Ever. 20.11 miles, 33 mind-numbing, interminable, laps of the field. [/B]

Oh my god!!! 33 laps of a field! That's like a prison courtyard marathon! At least you know you'll have no problems with boredom during DCM. Fair play!

You will be fine, seriously. You've put in some great training - just taper nicely now and you're flying.

just taper nicely now and you're flying.

Thanks for that. Just the small matter of another cross country race next Sunday.....

10.34Km in 1:15:37 (7:19 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Legs were a bit tight after the exertions of Sunday. Apart from that nothing major to report.

Total this Week: 10.34Km
    Total this Month: 49.08Km
    Total this Year: 1,402.73Km
    Runs 148 out of 279 days (53%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

32.36Km in 4:22:01 (8:06 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Longest Blooming Run Ever. 20.11 miles, 33 mind-numbing, interminable, laps of the field. The sheep were no company whatsoever. Most I got out of them was an occasional baah!

Physically, comparing this to the 19.5-mile run of 5 weeks ago, I was a lot stronger this time. No pain at the end, just very stiff in the legs. Mentally, I found this a lot harder. At the end I was stopping after each lap for about ten seconds, then summoning the will to go around, just one more time…..

Total this Week: 42.57Km
    Total this Month: 224.65Km
    Total this Year: 1,386.03Km
    Runs 146 out of 275 days (53%)

Well done on getting through the 20 miles and hats off for knocking off those laps. If you can do that many laps on your own, you will have no problem with the DCM, sure all the activity will distract you for at least 20 miles :D

8.23Km in 58:37 (7:07 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

A lovely evening for a run. This was at PMP, apparently. I’ve been calling these easy pace runs recently (because that’s how they have been feeling).

Total this Week: 18.57Km
    Total this Month: 57.31Km
    Total this Year: 1,410.96Km
    Runs 149 out of 280 days (53%)

16.79Km in 2:08:38 (7:40 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

This was the last of the extended runs in advance of the marathon. I was in two minds as to whether to take to the roads again but I decided to play it safe and stick with laps of the field again. As it turned out it was the warmest afternoon we have had for a good while and I was glad of the easy access to water while I ran.

Total this Week: 35.54Km
    Total this Month: 74.10Km
    Total this Year: 1,427.75Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 150 out of 282 days (53%)

• Advertisement

Race Report

7.93Km in 52:57 (6:41 min/Km) Meath Intermediate Cross Country Championships, Na Fianna AC, Baconstown, Enfield, Co. Meath

Heat wave? What blooming heat wave? There was a cold, stiff breeze whipping across the hills around Enfield when I arrived in Baconstown. Having tended to my MCS and club duties, I lined up at the start line with a fine array of intermediate athletes. This was to be my last hard run before the marathon and my only concern was not to go over on an ankle with barely two weeks to go.

The course was 7 laps of a 1.14Km loop, with a 200m finishing straight tagged on. From the gun I endeavoured to not fall too far behind the pack as we passed the assembled masses for the first time. This meant that my first lap was done at a pace of 6:05min/Km. A tad too hot for a race of this nature. I was lapped by the front-runners as I went out for my second lap (they were starting their third, I believe) but I now (apart from the pace) resembled a mid-pack runner, and didn’t quite stick out like a sore thumb, as the whole field piled past. By the end though I had two lonely final laps where I seemed to be the only person still running. I received some welcome encouragement from those runners out doing their warm down. Mercifully they were going in the opposite direction and so weren’t lapping me again.

Overall I was happy with my performance. I kept a good steady pace throughout (if you ignore the first lap) and finished strong, with good form.

Total this Week: 43.47Km
    Total this Month: 82.03Km
    Total this Year: 1,435.68Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 151 out of 284 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.73
    Average distance per week: 35.51Km

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MrPineapple

Meathcountysec your an inspiration! I was one of those running against you at the end (apologies that some of those ahead of me did not get out of your way). I found the race extremely tough and wondered after, why at 45 I bother putting myself through this whole racing lark ... but when I saw your determination I wanted to turn around and do it all again!!!

I will be following your progress so keep it up :)

10.15Km in 1:12:04 (7:06 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Found this a bit of a struggle, to be honest. I’m blaming it on the after effects of last Sunday’s race. Felt a twinge in my hip in the final lap. This taper madness is infectious. Nothing but easy stuff from now on.

Total this Week: 10.15Km
    Total this Month: 92.18Km
    Total this Year: 1,445.83Km
    Runs 152 out of 286 days (53%)

10.22Km in 1:11:56 (7:02 min/Km) around Trim

Whoopie-doooo. Finally managed to get back out running on roads again. Pace, though quicker than Tuesday, felt easier. It took a while to get back into the rhythm and there was definitely a distinct difference from running on the softer surface of late. Will try to stick to the roads for the remainder of the taper.

Total this Week: 20.37Km
    Total this Month: 102.40Km
    Total this Year: 1,456.05Km
    Runs 153 out of 288 days (53%)

The length of the marathon is the distance from Trim to Dublin, if that helps give you a good mental picture of it! Nothing really. Especially with the new motorway, wha?!

The length of the marathon is the distance from Trim to Dublin, if that helps give you a good mental picture of it! Nothing really. Especially with the new motorway, wha?!

Bet the marathon takes a bigger toll:p

Bet the marathon takes a bigger toll:p

lol! aren't you the witty one! the other meath comic (tommy tiernan) finished in 5h45. he's my celebrity to beat, seeing as though Oprah hared round in 4h30

lol! aren't you the witty one! the other meath comic (tommy tiernan) finished in 5h45. he's my celebrity to beat, seeing as though Oprah hared round in 4h30

5:45 ehh? I'll have him, and the horse he rode in on :D

7.20Km in 50:30 (7:01 min/Km) around Trim

Strange run. Never really got going. Had stiffness in my left calf/foot. Not sure if its because I’m back running on roads/pavements again or because I wasn’t wearing the runners I’ve been doing all my work in up to this. I’ll wear my race shoes next time and let’s just hope its one of those things…

On a not so bright note. I went to the physio on Friday for what was to be a pre-race sports massage, what with the niggle in my hip etc. Turns out I have a small tear in a muscle in my upper thigh. So a deep massage (for deep read painful) later and I was battered and bruised. It’s not a game stopper, just d*mn inconvenient. I have to go back to him for another session in the next day or so. Five and a half bl**dy months without as much as a stubbed toe, and now this……

Total this Week: 7.20Km
    Total this Month: 109.60Km
    Total this Year: 1,463.25Km
    Runs 154 out of 292 days (52.7%)

Average runs per week: 3.71

• Advertisement

On a not so bright note. I went to the physio on Friday for what was to be a pre-race sports massage, what with the niggle in my hip etc. Turns out I have a small tear in a muscle in my upper thigh. So a deep massage (for deep read painful) later and I was battered and bruised. It’s not a game stopper, just d*mn inconvenient. I have to go back to him for another session in the next day or so. Five and a half bl**dy months without as much as a stubbed toe, and now this……

As you say MCS it's not a show stopper. The physio and rest this week will see you through. Gawd it's getting close:eek:

Advertisement