Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What no Half Marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    What no Half Marathon?

Had hoped to do the Galway Half on 29th but at a cost of €65.00 plus accommodation just couldn’t justify it to myself. Was contemplating the Kilomathon in Moone but don’t want to have such a distance to travel home if the wheels loosen (or come off). The 10 Mile is a distance I have covered (if not raced) several times already. So opting for a conservative approach to training. If the increases in distance go ok over the next couple of weeks I might do the National Half in Crettyard on 5th September.

21.89Km in 2:45:38 (7:34 min/Km) around Trim

Pleased with that.

Total this Week: 46.09Km
    Total this Month: 192.77Km
    Total this Year: 912.58Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 107 out of 211 days (50%)

Average runs per week: 3.50
    Average distance per week: 29.44Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good running MSC. I had to do a rough calc in my head to convert to miles as I can't work in km after 10km so about 13.5 I think, that's great.

Good stuff mcs. how did you feel after this one? Did you hydrate/fuel any differently?

• Advertisement

Good stuff mcs. how did you feel after this one? Did you hydrate/fuel any differently?

Only had time for a very short report yesterday. Was rushing to meet Mrs MCS for a meal out.

Instead of going out and back along the canal I ran 2 x 7.9k and 1 x 5.5k loops around Trim, ending up back at the office after each loop. I stopped there for about a minute while sipping some water each time.

Found the first 2 loops ok enough (about 9.5 miles or so?). 3rd loop was hard work. Legs (calves) were very stiff afterwards (different surface?). Felt quite drained overall. Took about an hour to feel somewhat normal (or what passes for normal for MCS :p ). For the rest of the evening all I wanted to do was sleep :confused: . I was not the most scintillating of company at dinner :o .

5.14Km in 37:12 (7:14 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Handy enough recovery run after the exertions of Friday. I was supposed to do this yesterday, the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. Had the company of my eldest and the 2 pooches for part of this.

Total this Week: 51.23Km
    Total this Month: 5.14Km
    Total this Year: 917.72Km
    Runs this Week: 5
    Runs 108 out of 213 days (50%)

Average runs per week: 3.43
    Average distance per week: 29.19Km

7.14Km in 47:23 (6:38 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Misunderestimated the length this run was supposed to be. Schedule called for 8Km. Have to make it up later this week. Good hard enough paced run. Need to throw one of these in every now and again so that I can remember what it feels like.

Total this Week: 7.14Km
    Total this Month: 12.28Km
    Total this Year: 924.86Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 109 out of 214 days (50%)

11.13Km in 1:18:34 (7:03 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Too many late nights starting to catch up with me at this stage. Found it hard to motivate myself to go out at lunchtime so fell back on Plan B again. Added in the 1Km I missed out on from Monday.

Total this Week: 18.27Km
    Total this Month: 23.41Km
    Total this Year: 935.99Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 110 out of 215 days (51%)

10.13Km in 1:11:38 (7:04 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Much the same pace as last night but somehow felt it more so. I think the thought of the 48-hour break before this week’s LSR was in my mind and I just wanted to get this run over and done with rather than just trundling through it.

Total this Week: 28.40Km
    Total this Month: 33.54Km
    Total this Year: 946.12Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 111 out of 216 days (51%)

• Advertisement

19.76Km in 2:25:51 (7:23 min/Km) around Trim

Nice afternoon for a run, apart from the drizzle and passing heavier showers. Still good to get used to them in case it’s like that on the “big day”. Typical example of a LSR. Handy enough at the start, getting progressively more intense as the Km’s clicked by. The last 5 odd Km’s required a lot more mental focus than the first 14.

Training progressing nicely. Hitting all the targets. Doing more mileage (kilomage?) than I have ever before and we haven’t even gotten to the really long runs yet.

Total this Week: 48.16Km
    Total this Month: 53.30Km
    Total this Year: 965.88Km
    Runs 112 out of 217 days (51%)

7.17Km in 51:00 (7:07 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy and Ballivor

This was in fact 2 separate runs. The first 5.20Km in the afternoon in Frayne (5.20Km in 36:28, 7:00 min/Km) and the second in Ballivor with my eldest (1.97Km in 14:32, 7:23 min/Km)

The 5Km afternoon run was scheduled for Saturday but having spent 5 hours on my feet at the Celtics in Athlone I (or rather my legs) was in no shape for any sort of exertion. My eldest, who’s running CV includes a 40 min 5Km from last year and a 1 hour 40 minute Women’s Mini-Marathon from this year, periodically expresses an interest in training. Not being sure whether this interest would on this occasion manifest itself as actual participation I got my own training done and was free later on if the need arose. At this age (mid-teens) it’s a fine line between encouraging and off-putting so I leave it to her to take the initiative.

Total this Week: 56.33Km
    Total this Month: 60.47Km
    Total this Year: 973.05Km
    Runs 113 out of 219 days (51%)

Average runs per week: 3.59
    Average distance per week: 30.95Km

10.12Km in 1:09:47 (6:54 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

It was late when I got out to do this run. I started at 9:30pm and it had gotten pretty dark by the time I was finished. I didn’t bother putting on the field lights so was guided by the bleached grass at the side of the trail.

Easy enough pace, legs felt fresher than of late, which is strange coming off a week in which I recorded my greatest ever weekly mileage.

Total this Week: 10.12Km
    Total this Month: 70.59Km
    Total this Year: 983.17Km
    Runs 114 out of 220 days (51%)

10.08Km in 1:09:44 (6:55 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Failed to get out at lunchtime so back to Plan B again. I went out earlier than yesterday, as I didn’t want to end up running in the dark again. A lot warmer and breezier too.

Total this Week: 20.20Km
    Total this Month: 80.67Km
    Total this Year: 993.25Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 115 out of 221 days (52%)

9.42Km in 1:05:49 (6:59 min/Km) around Trim

Plan A at last!! This always seems to be the hardest run of the week. Granted for the past while it has been the 4th of 4 runs in a row. Still, done now. Schedule called for 8Km. I got lost trying out a new route so ended up with 9.42Km.

Total this Week: 29.62Km
    Total this Month: 90.09Km
    Total this Year: 1002.67Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 116 out of 222 days (52%)

@11.55am mcs wrote
    Heading out myself in an hour or so for a 24k.

must be finished by now surely :p

@11.55am mcs wrote

must be finished by now surely :p

23.55Km in 3:00:08 (7:39 min/Km) around Trim

Another hard run. I had been looking forward to it as the morning was calm, cool and overcast. I had a banana with my morning porridge and made sure I was properly hydrated. However by the time I left the office it was calm, warm and sunny. I didn’t make it any easier by going out too fast either. I knew I was overdoing it, backed off mentally but failed to deliver on a slower pace. So to make a long story boring I crashed and burned in the last 2 miles. Enough said.

Don’t you just love these practical lessons life throws at you. Still, I suppose better now than on the “big day”.

Just remembered its Friday 13th - nice:rolleyes:

Total this Week: 53.17Km
    Total this Month: 113.64Km
    Total this Year: 1026.22Km
    Runs 117 out of 224 days (52%)

I think the last few miles of any new distance will always be tough. Next time it'll be miles 15/16 etc as you build up the distance. I still don't know how you're doing it on just water... have you ever tried chia seeds? (I haven't either but they might be a good natural alternative to gels).

I still don't know how you're doing it on just water... have you ever tried chia seeds?

To be honest I’m starting to question the wisdom of it myself. I just seem to feel completely drained physically after I’ve completed any of the LSR’s. Would taking gels/jelly babies/cocktail sausages or whatever make that much of a difference? Next week is an easier week; I only have a 10-mile race to do. The following week it’s an 18-miler. I’ll give myself a good talking to before that one, pace it properly and see how it goes.

What are chia seeds? Never heard of them. To the Internet…….

I don't think I could do these long runs without something at this stage. How you're describing how you feel in the last few miles is how I remember feeling in the last 3 miles of the Craughwell 10 (felt like dropping dead:eek:) and I've not done a long run (+ 10 miles) without taking something since. I really feel they make a difference. I'm a very recent convert to chia seeds, introduced to them by Bjohnson.
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365093/Chia-for-Health.html

Today I had some on my pre-run weetabix (an hour before the run) and had some in my water/ miwadi bottle which I took with me. I also took a gel (caffeinated) at 6 and 9 miles and I was faster/ lower heart rate than my 12 miler 2 weeks ago and it just felt much easier (no chia and uncaffeinated gel) . Gel/ chia/ coincidence who knows but I feel they made a difference. You can get them in Evergreen. Might be worth a go if you don't want to try gels. Maybe even try some mixed in with a regular drink or on porridge on a non-run day to see if they agree with you first. Other than a slight texture change it made little difference to my drink today.

• Advertisement

5.51Km in 40:46 (7:24 min/Km) around Ballivor

Nice easy recovery run.

Total this Week: 58.68Km
    Total this Month: 119.15Km
    Total this Year: 1031.73Km
    Runs 118 out of 226 days (52%)

Average runs per week: 3.63
    Average distance per week: 31.83Km

10.63Km in 1:18:51 (7:25 min/Km) around Ballivor

Was in Killarney with work all day so only got to do this one very late. Nice soft rain throughout. Easy pace, the sort I should be doing for my LSR’s.

Total this Week: 10.63Km
    Total this Month: 129.78Km
    Total this Year: 1042.36Km
    Runs 119 out of 227 days (52%)

Average runs per week: 3.63
    Average distance per week: 31.83Km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I think the last few miles of any new distance will always be tough. Next time it'll be miles 15/16 etc as you build up the distance. I still don't know how you're doing it on just water... have you ever tried chia seeds? (I haven't either but they might be a good natural alternative to gels).

I find the iosgels great, no caffeine and they actually hydrate as well as fuelling the body.

mrslow wrote: »
    I find the iosgels great, no caffeine and they actually hydrate as well as fuelling the body.

I'm hoping to complete on water alone so training that way. I occasionally suffer from exercise-induced anaphylaxis so am wary of ingesting while exercising. On reflection, I think the main problem last Friday was the pace. While the average pace for the run overall was in the appropriate zone that was only because the slowness of the last few Km’s sort of balanced the speed of the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't think I could do these long runs without something at this stage. How you're describing how you feel in the last few miles is how I remember feeling in the last 3 miles of the Craughwell 10 (felt like dropping dead:eek:) and I've not done a long run (+ 10 miles) without taking something since. I really feel they make a difference. I'm a very recent convert to chia seeds, introduced to them by Bjohnson.
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365093/Chia-for-Health.html
    I'm a regular chia seed eater now too, but I'd be wary of taking them as a substitute for a gel. Certainly they would complement a gel, and add to your total carbohydrate intake (and slow release hydration) but you can't consider them a direct substitute as a tablespoon of chia seeds just doesn't consist of anywhere near as much carbohydrate as a gel would, unless you ingest seriously large quantities. Let's say a tablespoon of chia seeds weighs 20g (same as salt/sugar) then you would be ingesting 8g of carbs, as compared to 25-30g per gel.

A bit of a moot point, as meathcountysec isn't going to run with them (pardon the pun). I took chia seeds disolved in fruit juice and water during the Connemara ultra and I reckon they were what kept me going, as I couldn't stomach the gels. All-natural too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'm a regular chia seed eater now too, but I'd be wary of taking them as a substitute for a gel. Certainly they would complement a gel, and add to your total carbohydrate intake (and slow release hydration) but you can't consider them a direct substitute as a tablespoon of chia seeds just doesn't consist of anywhere near as much carbohydrate as a gel would, unless you ingest seriously large quantities. Let's say a tablespoon of chia seeds weighs 20g (same as salt/sugar) then you would be ingesting 8g of carbs, as compared to 25-30g per gel.

A bit of a moot point, as meathcountysec isn't going to run with them (pardon the pun). I took chia seeds disolved in fruit juice and water during the Connemara ultra and I reckon they were what kept me going. All-natural too.

Is there anywhere to buy these in ireland aside from the internet. Have been really interested in trying these but cant find them anywhere

ecoli wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to buy these in ireland aside from the internet. Have been really interested in trying these but cant find them anywhere

Littlebug mentioned earlier getting them from evergreen (www.evergreen.ie ?) Can't access the site here in work so don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Most natural food shop (don't confuse these with head shops. :)). You'll have to ask the shop assistant though, as you won't have a hope in hell of finding them yourself! They're not cheap, at €30 for a plastic jar full (which lasts me months) but I do genuinely feel they help with hydration in the hour or two before a hard or long workout, and rehydration after a hard session (physical or alcohol related. :)).

They may be just the latest in a long line of natural running fads, but at the very least, they motivate me to keep hydrating, and contain levels of omega3 fatty acids,so you could invest in worse things.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think Nourish in Wicklow St has them, I do remember seeing a relatively small bag there for about €4 before.

• Advertisement

I'm a regular chia seed eater now too, but I'd be wary of taking them as a substitute for a gel.

yep I'm the same. I take both. I suppose my saying it is an alternative is wrong as it's a completely different thing.... but I mentioned them because there may be some benefit over and above water alone which is what MCS is (was?) intending.

Advertisement