Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Have a hot bath every night til Monday. I swear it's helping with my musle issues. As well as voltrol gel or tiger balm.

Mind yourself until Monday and you'll be fine :). You've done all the hard work mcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How are you MCS? How's the leg? All ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    How are you MCS? How's the leg? All ready?

Only ran once this week (about 4 miles). Left hip has improved, however now my right calf and shin are playing silly beggers:rolleyes: Apart from all that I've never felt better and am so looking forward to looking back on the marathon:)

Still can't picture myself actually standing at the start line (or as close as the assembled hordes would let me) never mind actually running the whole d*mn thing.

Madness? What madness?

Well Meathcountysec my arch nemesis me old matey when we were battling it out in the race to 500 this time last year who'd'a' thunk we'd be heading for the DCM start line hah?
    Best of luck on Monday. Hopefully I'll make it in to McGrattans afterwards for the post mortem so maybe we'll catch up there if not beforehand.

Race Report

42.21Km in 6:59:54 (9:57 min/Km) Dublin City Marathon 2010

Prologue

Sunday 24th October 2010, chez MCS. The nerves hadn’t really kicked in until I started packing my bag. I was staying overnight in a hotel on Leeson Street with the intention of have a relatively stress free start to race day. Lunched at home with all the MCS’s then headed off. Journey was uneventful and, after checking in, settled down with a good book and enough carbs to sink a battleship. Put the head down at 10pm and eventually dropped off. Was awakened at stupid o’clock by some buffoons outside but drifted off again quite quickly.

Race Day

Alarm went off at 5am. Dined on Ambrosia Creamed Rice then settled back down for another hour or two. Awoke again at 7.15am. Was it that time already? B*gger!! Had two of the three S’s (I have a beard). Downed half a bar of Aero. Lubricated, medicated, and suitable attired I ventured out onto the streets.

There was an air of tension about. There were runners coming from all directions, all heading towards Merrion Square. Bin bags, shiny spandex, woolly hats, CSI suits, painter’s overalls, cheapo fleeces, all were in evidence. I passed Fitzwilliam Square on the way and got a glimpse of the elites doing their warm-ups.

With the time approaching 9am I lined up in what I hoped was an appropriate place. I couldn’t see the 4:30 pacer balloons so wasn’t too sure. We’re off!! Jetisoned the hat, gloves and fleece that I had spent the princely sum of €11.00 on, and started the Garmin as I passed over the timing mats. Around into Leeson Street, passed the hotel, then on around Stephen’s Green, down Dawson Street, Nassau Street and around by Trinity. I was in College Green when I saw I was only metres away from the 4:30 pace balloons. One of us is in the wrong place I thought!! I was still a good bit below planned place so left the pacers to worry about their own job. I had my own to sort out. My left calf and shin, which had been giving me some grief during my last few runs, were now very much in evidence. My lower leg had gone stiff and numb and it was now causing considerable pain. Lovely, I thought. 3Km gone and only another 39.2Km more of this to endure. Still, on the bright side, it was stopping me from fixating on the journey ahead.

In jig time we were in the Park. Somewhere between 5 miles and 6 miles my leg stopped hurting and seemed to free up. It had happened so gradually that I hadn’t even noticed and it suddenly dawned on me that I wasn’t in pain anymore as I was heading down towards the Chapelizod Gate. I was running freely for the first time in a few weeks. I knew I should have done just one more 20miler!!!

Through Chapelizod, over the bridge, left and under the bypass. Started the climb up to Ballyfermot. I shortened my stride but kept the same tempo as the gradient steepened. As I approached the top I felt a pull in the top of my right thigh. B*gger. I slowed to a walk and picked up the pace again as we crested the hill. I was running slower now, conscious of not putting any more strain on my right leg than I needed to. The crowds out along the route were mega. You couldn’t but feel that they were willing you on.

I had picked up water at each of the water stations as I came to them. However I had only sipped from the bottles before discarding them. Approaching 12 miles I was aware of a growing thirst and in order to take on more water I walked through this station and only started again when I had finished the bottle. Up Crumlin Road, past Superquinn and through 13.1 miles, halfway there. From now on every step was a step towards the finish line.

Estimated finishing time was now 5:30. Passed a family who had a huge banner supporting their Granddad. Magic!!

Bushy Park. 16 miles or thereabouts. Started down the hill. Right thigh gave up. I had nursed it along for 8 miles but it couldn’t last. The Marathon begins now.

Mile 18.5. Even with walking the climb up to this point was not pleasant. I pulled over and got a going over from the roadside physios on the upper leg. 5 minutes later and I returned to the fray.

At this stage my pace varied from 11:59 to 12:48 min/Km.

Cresting the hill at Mount Merrion I could see Howth Head across the bay. A more welcome sight I have never seen. Only another 8Km to go. By now the strain of compensating for the right leg had put the left leg into a bit of a state. Left hip and foot were now competing for my attention.

UCD flyover. Was offered deep heat and Vaseline. Wanted a ham sandwich.

Vincent’s Hospital. Physios had packed up and gone.

Roads were being opened as I passed along so was forced onto the pavement. The undulations and change in surface were not welcome.

Shelbourne Road. Passed my first competitor since I don’t know when. He was in worse shape than me. Blister on small toe of right foot burst. Came completely out of the blue because at this stage I hadn’t realised that I had blisters on my right foot. Was afraid to look down in case my nice yellow shoes had become red.

Fell into company with two lads. The banter helped to pass the final stretch. Thanks Eamonn and Joe. We were tempted to cut through at the top of Westland Row but didn’t have the energy to climb the barriers so kept on going.

Pearse Street. Never has it seemed so long.

College Green, Nassau Street. Deja vue.

Finish line in sight. With metres to go we sprang forward like crouching lions. We were going to cross the line running.

6:59:54 watch time; 7:05:46 chip time; 7:11:36 gun time; 10,551st place; 10,694 total finishers

Done. Dusted. Never ever again.

Epilogue

Took 25 minutes to walk from Merrion Square to Leeson Street. Made it somehow up the stairs to my room whereupon I ate, drank and then crashed into bed and slept for about 2 hours. Got up, showered, checked out and went home.

I had completed my marathon. Many people talk about finishing a marathon like they were talking about polishing off the last slice of apple tart. Be in no doubt, completing a marathon is an accomplishment. Whatever your target, it is secondary to just crossing that finish line.

Much is made of the “Wall”. I met my wall at 16 miles. There was no way over it, around it, or through it. So I pushed it ahead of me for the remaining 10.2 miles.

Total this Week: 42.21Km
    Total this Month: 151.81Km
    Total this Year: 1,505.46Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 155 out of 299 days (51.8%)

Average runs per week: 3.71
    Average distance per week: 35.31Km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Great report , Sorry it didnt go to plan but you are in much better shape then this time last year, you set pb's a few weeks ago, so recover and then get back to the 10k and you will be well under the hour again i'm sure.
    Your Marathon box is ticked now.. :)

Well done for slogging it out MCS. So many people seem to have crashed at mile 16. But as shels says you have set great pbs lately and the training cycle will stand to you... once the pain subsides!
    You still have to get to 1000 this year ;)

You still have to get to 1000 this year ;)

I know a challenge when I hear it :p Race ya :D:D

2.73Km in 20:59 (7:33 min/Km) around Ballivor

First time out since DCM. Everything complained; knees, ankles, calves, thighs, lungs. It was great:D Good to be back out again.

My right thigh is still a bit tender but the pain/bruising in my left ankle has cleared up.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff, nice to see ya back out :)

• Advertisement

Ar bhfaca tu mo MOJO? Not feeling the love these days at all. Only 2 runs done since DCM. Anybody got a kick in the *rse I can borrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Ar bhfaca tu mo MOJO? Not feeling the love these days at all. Only 2 runs done since DCM. Anybody got a kick in the *rse I can borrow?

me too. planned to start back this morn, training for Navan 10km on Stephen's Day. didn't get out of the scratcher though. "tomorrow!" - been saying that a good while now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, I started back running last week, wasn't feeling it, so have taken this week off too.

I'm starting back basketball tonight....indoor, heated...mmm

marrona wrote: »
    training for Navan 10km on Stephen's Day.

Me too..... If I could only get my a*se in gear.....
    "tomorrow!" - been saying that a good while now

You my long-lost, separated at birth, twin?

well, i've already started to back out of my plan for bball tonight....trying to legitimise it in my head. my excuses are: i've too much work on, my contacts are too dry, i didnt hydrate enough today, i have to clean my house/hair/clothes...
    really: can't be *rsed

might change the "tomorrow" plan to "next week, definitely next week"

similarly unmotivated here. I have done a few runs but getting from the couch to the road/ TM is not easy :(

might change the "tomorrow" plan to "next week, definitely next week"
    similarly unmotivated here. I have done a few runs but getting from the couch to the road/ TM is not easy :(

Is there no one here to save us from ourselves :o

embrace it! ya enjoy it more if plan to do nothing cos then no guilt! i skipped basketball, shocker! but in the shower, threw an empty shampoo bottle across the room to the bin and made it - that's enough for this week. will start back running next week, definitely next week. (got a 5 week 10k plan?)

• Advertisement

11am, Stephen's Day, in Navan - icy, non?

Well there are predictions of a white Christmas so probably! The Athenry 10k was postponed twice last year.

If these races go ahead I'll be setting off on my 10k at the same time as both of you. Race ye! :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

One kick in the arse, coming right up. :pac:

71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

luckily for meathcountysec, it takes a few days for that kick up the arse to sink in

12 noon is kick off. 11am for entries....

Icy? it was last year and the race was cancelled.

As far as the kick in the a*se is concerned, thanks RK, just what I need.

Just goes to show what happens when our mentor beggers off.

Now where did I put that couch to 10K in 5 days plan :D

luckily for meathcountysec, it takes a few days for that kick up the arse to sink in

4.01Km in 27:41 (6:54 min/Km) around Trim

Went to a sports therapist last Sunday to get myself sorted out. He was a lot more thorough than the physio I went to just before the DCM. I have a chronic problem with the adductor muscles in my right hip. I aggravated it last year and never bothered getting it seen to. Because of my callous disregard for it it bites back every so often, just to remind me it hasn’t gone away. When it flares up it restricts my ability to lift the right leg/knee/foot.

He had me writhing in agony for the best part of an hour. :eek: He strapped the thigh and will be giving me some stretches/core exercises to do.

After the treatment I was a bit stiff and sore but on Sunday night I had the best night’s sleep I have had in ages. I wasn’t restless and slept right through. I now have a whole new lease of life. :D

Went for run today and felt no problems with the hip/thigh. :)

Total this Week: 4.01Km
    Total this Month: 11.85Km
    Total this Year: 1,517.24Km
    Runs 158 out of 327 days (48.3%)

Average runs per week: 3.40
    Average distance per week: 32.67Km

Good to hear you're getting that injury sorted and getting back out.

it's taking even longer for my kick up the arse to sink in for some reason :confused:

6.78Km in 48:26 (7:08 min/Km) around Trim

It’s a chilly enough day for a trot. Out in the wintry sunshine with an edge to the breeze.

Taking it handy these days. Going to spend this week and next just getting back into the swing of running regularly. Next race will be the 10K in Navan on Stephens Day.

Total this Week: 10.80Km
    Total this Month: 18.63Km
    Total this Year: 1,524.02Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 159 out of 329 days (48.3%)

Average runs per week: 3.40
    Average distance per week: 32.67Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice to see you back running MCS - take it nice and handy getting back into the swing of it.

• Advertisement

4.98Km in 37:55 (7:37 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Having embarked on the great comeback the current weather has rather limited the choice of running venues available. So back to laps of the field for me. Conditions underfoot were fine, the track was mainly clear with only a sprinkling of snow in some places.

The pace on this run is soft enough but the exertion was greater that it should have been. Still I’m still not fully back to firing on all cylinders so will hold off on reading too much into it until I am back where I left off.

Total this Week: 4.98Km
    Total this Month: 23.61Km
    Total this Year: 1,529.00Km
    Runs 160 out of 333 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.37
    Average distance per week: 32.23Km

Advertisement