Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Current PBs

3K – 16:56 - Meath T&F Championships 11th May 2008

5K – 29:17 - MSB 5K 16th March 2008

6K – 36:31 - Simon Cumbers Memorial 16th May 2008

4 Mile – 38:16 - Dunboyne 4 Mile 28th March 2010

5 Mile – 50:08 – RTE 5 Mile 1st May 2010

10K – 1:04:28 – Dunshaughlin 10K 26th June 2010

Beat Littlebug to 400 miles in 2010 1000-Mile Challenge :D

8.08Km in 57:29 (7:07 min/Km) Club Grounds, Athboy

A nice easy paced run. It was quite warm but the pace ensured that this did not pose any great problem. Last run before the Dunshaughlin 10K on Saturday. I wouldn’t normally run this long this close to a race but the focus now is on training for the DCM and the need to prioritise training mileage over racing performance.

Total this Week: 24.31Km
    Total this Month: 88.98Km
    Total this Year: 683.08Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 84 out of 175 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.31
    Average distance per week: 26.97Km

11.46Km in 1:14:08 (6:28 min/Km) Dunshaughlin 10K

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them. With this thought in mind I was determined not to have another pre-race experience such as I had prior to the Bohermeen 5K several weeks ago. I demurred from going to the Tailteann Games and had a substantial lunch before heading for the riding stables for the afternoon. Even there the evening’s race was foremost on my mind and I was sipping drinks the whole time.

Out the door at 5.45pm to arrive at Race HQ in Dunshaughlin in good time to register. Another good crowd (520 finishers) and the usual excellent organisation that is the hallmark of the Dunshaughlin race.

An easy warm-up (1.43Km @ 6:44 min/Km) then off to the start line. There was a stiff cooling breeze which didn’t bode well for the coming exertion but I tried to put it out of my mind.

The race started bang on time and the crowds along the first kilometre seemed to be bigger than in previous years. The local club have been trying to encourage more local participation and this seemed to have brought out more local support.

We headed off in the direction of Ratoath with the breeze behind or across the whole time. 5K came up in 30:43, which may have been too hot a pace as I was starting to slow (and, unusually for me, I was contemplating walking). The second half of this race is where the hard work has to be done. With a stiff incline just after 6.5Km its time to dig in and grind it out to the finish. Here the gods decided to smile benignly. The tree canopy sheltered us from the direct sun and tempered the breeze to provide a cooling draught but no great resistance. The amount of local support this race engenders is unbelievable. The number of residents who set up impromptu water stations is amazing. While the pace inevitably slowed the exertion seemed to remain constant (average HR 84- 86% throughout).

10.02Km in 1:04:28 (6:26 min/Km). New PB for distance by 46 seconds, for course by 3:03 minutes.

Total this Week: 35.77Km
    Total this Month: 100.44Km
    Total this Year: 694.54Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 85 out of 177 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.34
    Average distance per week: 27.31Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done on the pb MCS. Sounds like a hard race so fair play for keeping going!

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done on the pb MCS. Sounds like a hard race so fair play for keeping going!

Aye. It was a sweat-fest last year, so a relief to have the conditions conspire with me for once;) Not exactly a pb-friendly course by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice running and congrats on the PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play MCS, congrats on the pb :)

8.89Km in 1:01:40 (6:56 min/Km) around Trim

Weather a mixed bag today. Was warm and windy when I set off, wet and warm and windy when I got back. Still it helped to cool me down ;) Nice easy effort. No sign of Saturday’s race in my legs or my head. Can’t remember the last time I ran in the rain.

Total this Week: 8.89Km
    Total this Month: 109.33Km
    Total this Year: 730.43Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 86 out of 179 days (48%)

9.11Km in 1:05:17 (7:10 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

I really am lucky to have this off-road running course available to me. During the hottest days I know that if I bail on a run during lunchtime then I still have a safe option for running that evening.

Was still quite warm last night. Did something I have never done before – re-hydrated regularly during a run. I stopped every 2Km to take on fluids, a home-brew cocktail of water, cordial and salt. To be honest I felt the better of it. I had used something similar after the Dunshaughlin race last Saturday and I found I seemed to recover much more quickly than with water alone. Now if I can only patent the recipe my fortune is made. The only problem is that its still at the a drop of this and a pinch of that stage. The chances of repeating the same batch every time are slim.

Total this Week: 18.00Km
    Total this Month: 118.44Km
    Total this Year: 739.54Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 87 out of 180 days (48%)

7.27Km in 50:29 (6:57 min/Km) around Trim

Very warm at lunchtime today. I didn’t have the choice of going out this evening as Inter-Club T&F League on tonight. Found this run difficult mentally rather than physically.

Total this Week: 25.27Km
    Total this Month: 125.71Km
    Total this Year: 746.81Km
    Runs 88 out of 181 days (48%)

• Advertisement

17.40Km in 2:09:32 (7:27 min/Km) Royal Canal, Longwood

A nice evening for a run. Not as warm as recently but with a decent cooling breeze. Managed the pace a lot better on this run compared to 2 weeks ago. Started slower and so had less of a spread of pace. I had worried going out as I was doing an out and back course, with the prospect of the breeze in my teeth on either of the legs, but as luck would have it the breeze was more cross than head-on.

Total this Week: 42.67Km
    Total this Month: 17.40Km
    Total this Year: 764.21Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 89 out of 183 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.37
    Average distance per week: 28.91Km

7.07Km in 49:27 (7:00 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

A nice handy run. I had lunched out today so in order to stick with the DCM schedule and not miss a run on the very first day I went out after work. Warm enough out, with showers threatening. Was expecting to get soaked as I passed through some humdingers on the way out but none materialised. So, 16 weeks to DCM. Who’s idea was this anyway?

Total this Week: 7.07Km
    Total this Month: 24.47Km
    Total this Year: 744.28Km
    Runs 89 out of 186 days (48%)

Who’s idea was this anyway?

Don't look at me :o Are you having second thoughts?

Don't look at me :o Are you having second thoughts?

Second thoughts? Third, fourth, fifth, sixth..... see where this is going;)

No, its just that now I'm actually starting the official schedule I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it. Now, look, you've made me think about it again:D:D

Second thoughts? Third, fourth, fifth, sixth..... see where this is going;)

No, its just that now I'm actually starting the official schedule I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it. Now, look, you've made me think about it again:D:D

I hear ya. Note I haven't signed up yet :o I can handle a weekend long run and I know I'm ok up to HM level but it's the point where there's a really long run at the weekend AND and midweek long run (by my standards) that worries me both in terms of having the time to do it and the impact it will have on me it will have (energy, mood etc).

I hear ya. Note I haven't signed up yet :o I can handle a weekend long run and I know I'm ok up to HM level but it's the point where there's a really long run at the weekend AND and midweek long run (by my standards) that worries me both in terms of having the time to do it and the impact it will have on me it will have (energy, mood etc).

My schedule tops out at 3 x 10K during the week with the LSR and a 5k at the weekends. I'll be doing the LSR on a Friday as weekends are my busiest time as regards my other involvement in athletics. I haven't signed up yet either;) but have done mentally.

Littlebug,

You’ve already targeted a half and completed it, in difficult conditions. Take this marathon training one week at a time. What you do this week/month will strengthen you for what needs to be done next week/month. It’s the drip drip that wears away the rock.

MCS

5.06Km in 33:37 (6:38 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Bottled it at lunchtime due to a late night last night. Was feeling tired, hungry and unmotivated. I knew I would be out coaching later on so deferred this run until the evening. Took this one at a medium to hard pace. I’ve been doing a lot of mainly slower stuff recently, apart from the few races I have done. With the South O’Hanlon 5K on Wednesday evening I just wanted to get the heart pumping and the legs turning over a bit faster.

I’m treating most races between now and the DCM as part of the training schedule. The only exception is the Galway/Longford Half on 29th August. I will be using this race to see where my training is at with 8 weeks to DCM-Day. I still haven’t fully decided which one I’ll do but I’m leaning towards the Galway Half. It’s not as flat a course as Longford and will be more scenic than an out and back course.

Total this Week: 12.13Km
    Total this Month: 29.53Km
    Total this Year: 749.34Km
    Runs 90 out of 187 days (48%)

5.87Km in 32:59 (6:02 min/Km) South O’Hanlon AC 5K, Senchalstown, Navan, Co. Meath

This was not a target race so trained right up to it.

A nice evening for a race, if a bit breezy. As is to be expected from South O’Hanlon AC this was a very well organised event. Despite the move away from Claremont in Navan the race attracted in excess of 200 runners, walkers and one MCS.

Registration a doddle. For €12.00 we got chip timing, t-shirt, goody-bag and a feed after. The prize fund was generous as well, not that I would be dipping into it.:p

An easy 800m jog out to the start line served as a warm-up.

Race started on time, the course was a triangular shape with one side repeated twice. As luck would have it this was the side that was into the stiff breeze. There was a long steady climb from about 1K to 3K. This was the first running of the race on this course but I had found a mapmyrun.com link to a course profile so was aware of the challenge ahead.

My time over the 5.05K was 30:06 (5:58 min/Km). That’s an ok time for you, I hear you say. But time elapsed alone can’t measure my performance in this race. Mentally I was up for this. I started strong, aware that the pace would drop later during the ascent. First Km in 5:53. Turned out of the wind and started into the climb (mountain runners look away, please). Second Km in 5:57. Onwards and upwards. Third Km in 6:03. Through Yellow Furze and began descent. Fourth Km in 6:01. Back through start area and into last stretch. Fifth Km in 5:56.

Am delighted that I was able to push on and keep a decent pace up the climb. Should have done better on the descent but I found it difficult to get my breathing back into a proper rhythm. I was breathing too fast and shallow. I was concentrating on trying to deepen it and slow it somewhat and missed the opportunity to get the leg turnover speed up. Funnily enough, as soon as the load came on again into the breeze it settled by itself.

The overall pace didn’t drop as much as I would have expected. A good strong finish (last Km in Bohermeen 5K was 6:13).

Overall impression. A good strong performance. A strong finish on what was not an easy course. Seeing improvements already from structured training for DCM.:)

Total this Month: 35.40Km
    Total this Year: 755.21Km
    Runs 91 out of 188 days (48%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

5.87Km in 32:59 (6:02 min/Km) South O’Hanlon AC 5K, Senchalstown, Navan, Co. Meath

This was not a target race so trained right up to it.

A nice evening for a race, if a bit breezy. As is to be expected from South O’Hanlon AC this was a very well organised event. Despite the move away from Claremont in Navan the race attracted in excess of 200 runners, walkers and one MCS.

Registration a doddle. For €12.00 we got chip timing, t-shirt, goody-bag and a feed after. The prize fund was generous as well, not that I would be dipping into it.:p

An easy 800m jog out to the start line served as a warm-up.

Race started on time, the course was a triangular shape with one side repeated twice. As luck would have it this was the side that was into the stiff breeze. There was a long steady climb from about 1K to 3K. This was the first running of the race on this course but I had found a mapmyrun.com link to a course profile so was aware of the challenge ahead.

My time over the 5.05K was 30:06 (5:58 min/Km). That’s an ok time for you, I hear you say. But time elapsed alone can’t measure my performance in this race. Mentally I was up for this. I started strong, aware that the pace would drop later during the ascent. First Km in 5:53. Turned out of the wind and started into the climb (mountain runners look away, please). Second Km in 5:57. Onwards and upwards. Third Km in 6:03. Through Yellow Furze and began descent. Fourth Km in 6:01. Back through start area and into last stretch. Fifth Km in 5:56.

Am delighted that I was able to push on and keep a decent pace up the climb. Should have done better on the descent but I found it difficult to get my breathing back into a proper rhythm. I was breathing too fast and shallow. I was concentrating on trying to deepen it and slow it somewhat and missed the opportunity to get the leg turnover speed up. Funnily enough, as soon as the load came on again into the breeze it settled by itself.

The overall pace didn’t drop as much as I would have expected. A good strong finish (last Km in Bohermeen 5K was 6:13).

Overall impression. A good strong performance. A strong finish on what was not an easy course. Seeing improvements already from structured training for DCM.:)

Total this Month: 35.40Km
    Total this Year: 755.21Km
    Runs 91 out of 188 days (48%)

well done very good running there, I think that 10k pb of yours will be at risk soon. The DCM training is really going to help.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Everything ok MCS? It's not like you not to update for so long. Hopefully you're on hols or something and not injured or sick.
    It's getting like the bermuda triangle round here with people disappearing :eek:

Everything ok MCS? It's not like you not to update for so long. Hopefully you're on hols or something and not injured or sick.
    It's getting like the bermuda triangle round here with people disappearing :eek:

everythings grand. down the country on holliers with mrs mcs and the junior mcs's. far from the joy that is broadband. keeping the mileage up. will update when connected to reality properly. tnx fofr the concern.

Date|Distance|Time|Comment
    9 Jul 2010|14.03Km|1:44:16|Long day in work finishing off stuff before 2 weeks holliers. Nice run
    11 Jul 2010|7.70Km|0:55:45|Nice easy run in Ballybunnion
    12 Jul 2010|7.10Km|0:48:37|Nice easy run in Ballybunnion
    13 Jul 2010|7.15Km|0:49:06|Nice easy run in Ballybunnion
    14 Jul 2010|8.39Km|1:05:11|Nice easy run in Ballybunnion
    16 Jul 2010|16.34Km|1:57:57|LSR in Ballybunnion
    18 Jul 2010|5.24Km|0:36:17|Nice easy run in Ballivor
    19 Jul 2010|7.02Km|0:50:10|Nice easy run in Frayne
    20 Jul 2010|7.01Km|0:49:22|Nice easy run in Frayne
    22 Jul 2010|5.01Km|0:36:32|Nice easy run in Ballivor
    23 Jul 2010|21.22Km|2:49:03|LSR along Royal Canal, Longwood. Tough run. Longest ever.
    25 Jul 2010|5.06Km|0:38:02|Nice easy run in Frayne

Total this Week: N/A Km
    Total this Month: 146.68Km
    Total this Year: 866.49Km
    Runs this Week: 5
    Runs 103 out of 206 days (50%)

Average runs per week: 3.50
    Average distance per week: 29.44Km

8.25Km in 57:56 (7:01 min/Km) around Trim

This was down as an easy run but the temperature/humidity pushed the intensity up a bit.

During the holidays I experimented with early morning, pre-breakfast runs. These worked out fine for the shorter runs. The long run was different story. Lesson learnt.

I’ve stuck pretty close to the schedule for the last 3 weeks. The only change was to do the 5Km recovery run on Sunday instead of Saturday. This then leaves me with 4 days (Sunday to Wednesday) on the trot. The focus this week will be to get out next Saturday instead of Sunday.

The 21Km LSR was an eye opener. I can’t believe how tired I felt during the last 3 miles or so. Setting out on the final 7Km was an exercise in mind over matter. It wasn’t pretty. Same again this Friday. Watch this space.

Total this Week: 8.25Km
    Total this Month: 154.93Km
    Total this Year: 874.74Km
    Runs 104 out of 207 days (50%)

welcome back mcs. Hope you had fun on holiers.

Congrats on the 13 miler. An eye opener indeed. I remember a similar feeling in the 10 mile race in March last year when I wasn't trained to that distance. I was grand til 7 miles and then the wheels came off suddenly and almost completely. I used gels for my next long run (11) and Connemara HM which I really think helped. I know you have dietery issues that you don't want to complicate but is there any thing you could take to give you extra oopmh when you start to tire? For my long run yesterday I stopped completely at 7 miles for a minute or two, let the HR settle and finished off an energy drink that I'd carried and I was grand to the end (13 miles might be a different story though!).

welcome back mcs. Hope you had fun on holiers.

Sure did. Mrs MCS, Juniors MCS’s and four-legged MCS’s did also. Getting my runs in before the rest were out of bed helped as well as I was free for the rest of the day. :D
    Congrats on the 13 miler. An eye opener indeed.

You betcha. I have never felt so weak/tired ever :o

I know you have dietery issues that you don't want to complicate but is there any thing you could take to give you extra oopmh when you start to tire?

Going to hide a bicycle in the undergrowth for the next one. :p

Seriously though, I’m wary of using anything during training that I won’t be using on “the day”. I’m hoping to go the distance on H2O and pure determination (or as Mrs MCS would say, stubbornness). I may have left it too late at 14Km to take on fluids. Will alter that strategy next time (hydrate after 7Km then 14Km). Now that I’ve completed the distance I hope to be more mentally able to grind it out next time. :confused:

Keep the faith. Only 13 weeks to go.:eek::eek:

7.87Km in 55:47 (7:06 min/Km) around Trim

Deliberately held back on the pace of this run. It felt like I was doing 7:35 min/Km so was delighted on consulting the Garmin at the end to see 7:06. Still very warm and humid out there.

Total this Week: 16.12Km
    Total this Month: 162.80Km
    Total this Year: 882.61Km
    Runs 105 out of 208 days (50%)

8.08Km in 58:26 (7:14 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Bailed on the lunchtime run so fell back on Plan B. A nice easy enough run. It did comprise of 8 x 1Km laps, a prospect that always adds to the fun. :rolleyes: Job done. No running tomorrow then a 21Km on Friday.:o

Total this Week: 24.20Km
    Total this Month: 170.88Km
    Total this Year: 890.69Km
    Runs 106 out of 209 days (50%)

I must be mad. Just entered both 10 Mile and Marathon. No going back now.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I must be mad. Just entered both 10 Mile and Marathon. No going back now.....:eek:

*high five* :D

Advertisement