Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

6.94Km in 48:10 (6:56 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Nice evening for a run. Went out straight after work so that I could get fed and watered before coming out later for juvenile training. Easy pace, run by perceived effort.

Total this Week: 21.77Km
    Total this Month: 103.82Km
    Total this Year: 613.59Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 73 out of 146 days (50%)

Average runs per week: 3.5
    Average distance per week: 29.59Km

17.44Km in 2:07:18 (7:18 min/Km) around Ballivor

Saturday LSR’s are proving a bit a challenge at the moment. I had the best of intentions of either (a) doing this in the morning or (b) late afternoon. Neither happened. I couldn’t motivate myself to get out in the morning despite being up at 8.30am, and by the time I got back from bringing the eldest to the riding stables I was too tired and hungry to go out then either. So, in the end, pure bloody-mindedness got me out at 11.25pm to do the longest run I’ve ever done.

Due to the lateness of the hour and the geographical limitations imposed by the absence/presence of street lighting I am forced to orbit the metropolitan area of Ballivor several times to make up the mileage. This can be a source of much mirth and entertainment for the general populace, whether they be staggering about the streets or peering through their net curtains.

Depending on work/life and anything else the gods decide to throw at me this week I might move the LSR to a Friday after work. That will have the advantage of daylight, free time and a greater choice of routes.

Physically this run was a challenge. With the race during the week and a slight increase in the mileage already done this week so far my legs were not in the best of places to take on the increase in distance. Over the last 2 or 3 miles I really felt it.

Total this Week: 39.21Km
    Total this Month: 121.26Km
    Total this Year: 631.03Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 74 out of 148 days (50%)

Average runs per week: 3.45
    Average distance per week: 29.45Km

Marathon training is continuing. The weeks up to the 5th July when my actual schedule kicks off are intended to achieve several things:

Increase runs per week from 4 to 5.
    Tinker/adjust the training plan to best suit “real” life.
    Impose a more structured approach to training.

Several things have become apparent so far. The Saturday LSR probably needs to move to Friday. Saturday commitments (family and athletic) put a strain on scheduling. The majority of athletics events take place at weekends. In order to avoid missing or having to cut short/curtail a key run Friday’s will be LSR day for the next while.

The move from 4 to 5 runs per week hasn’t proved the most successful either. The 5th run is only an easy 5Km at the moment so I don’t think I’m missing out on much of a training effect from it. However as the schedule unfolds the extra mileage missed will mount up. So I need the same steely determination (read: madness) that gets me out at stupid o’clock at night to do long runs to start to include these runs as well.

The fact that I have (and am trying to follow) an actual training schedule is standing to me. I now plan the week ahead taking it into consideration. If only life in general would do the same I would be sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Which training plan are you going to follow? Have you looked into one of the plans that have only four runs a week, would it be easier to schedule?

Fair play to you for getting out to run laps of the town at that hour.

I'm hoping to follow an "Advanced Beginner" plan from Glover's "The Competitive Runner's Handbook".

Having looked at the 2 HH novice schedules I wanted more in the way of long runs. Glover has 1 x 18 and 3 x 20 before the day. HH only had 1 x 20 AFAIR.

I have mine done out in a spreadsheet (attached) in Kms. It starts the week of 5th July (16 weeks).

The weeks before are all about tinkering etc...

• Advertisement

7.09 in 49:41 (7:01 min/Km) Club Ground, Frayne, Athboy

First time out since getting over the monumentally drastic gastric episode that was last week. I was struck down on the Tuesday afternoon and didn’t get over it until the Friday evening. A lot of running was done but nothing that could count towards the 1000 Mile Challenge.

Had intended to get out at lunchtime today but the legs just didn’t feel up to it. They had improved somewhat by evening so trundled out then for an easy run. Glad to be back in the saddle again.

Total this Week: 7.09Km
    Total this Month: 7.09Km
    Total this Year: 638.12Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 75 out of 158 days (47%)

Average runs per week: 3.34
    Average distance per week: 28.45Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ugh sorry to hear you were ill MCS. It can take a while to recover from a bug that bad so take it easy getting back into it!

littlebug wrote: »
    Ugh sorry to hear you were ill MCS. It can take a while to recover from a bug that bad so take it easy getting back into it!

Some good advice there. That'll be why I'm doing back to back 5Ks next Saturday and Sunday then.:D

7.70Km in 48:47 (6:20 min/Km) around Ballivor

I have never felt as comfortable running this sort of pace before. I headed out with the intention of another easy run and just maintained what I thought was such a pace. The only indications I got that I was moving anyway quickly was when meeting inclines or facing into the rather stiff breeze. Only then did I notice any sort of exertion.

Nothing now until the Bohermeen 5K on Saturday evening, followed swiftly by the Lucan 5K on Sunday morning (15 hours should be a long enough gap between races, right? I’ll just consider it as a “long” interval session with an extended recovery).

Total this Week: 14.79Km
    Total this Month: 14.79Km
    Total this Year: 608.89Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 76 out of 159 days (47%)

Found a discrepancy in my kilometreage total

Some good advice there. That'll be why I'm doing back to back 5Ks next Saturday and Sunday then.:D

ya mad thing :eek: ! Best of luck :D

• Advertisement

I have mine done out in a spreadsheet (attached) in Kms. It starts the week of 5th July (16 weeks).

QUOTE]

Can I steal this? Not the details... for a start I can''t think in kms! I also don't think Glovers 3x 20 would be for me but I'm a lazy git and I like the layout!

Can I steal this? Not the details... for a start I can''t think in kms! I also don't think Glovers 3x 20 would be for me but I'm a lazy git and I like the layout!

Be my guest....

6.0Km in 36:47 (6:08 min/Km) 25th Patrick Bell 5K, Bohermeen, Co. Meath

The preparations for this race did not entirely go according to plan. I was on my feet all day (county community games and riding stables), hadn’t eaten properly and hydration was down the drainpipe. A warm humid evening wasn’t going to help either.

Arrived in Bohermeen in good time. Due to the unforeseen popularity of the event the start was put back 30 minutes to allow everyone to register and get to the start line in good order.

Started off at what felt like a brisk pace. Tried to keep a fellow clubman in sight but lost him around 3Km. Only 2 of the 5 Km’s were below 6:00 min pace. In the end I finished the 5Km in 30:13. No tragedy by any means. The only problem was the foot/ankle pain that developed in the last 1.5Km.

Post-race refreshments were second to none. Loads of sambos, cakes, bbq, tea/coffee etc. open turf fires, ceili band… I could go on… For €15.00 these smaller club races really do represent true value for money.

Total this Week: 20.79Km
    Total this Month: 20.79Km
    Total this Year: 614.89Km
    Runs 77 out of 161 days (48%)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Y'know, if I could drive, I'd actually consider coming up for a couple of those club races in Meath - they sound like a lot of fun :)

5.06Km in 35:31 (7:02 min/Km) Club Grounds, Athboy

The intention today had been to go to the Lucan AC 5Km this morning. However after the pain I experienced while finishing the 5Km in Bohermeen last night I felt discretion was the better part of valour and stayed off the foot all day. In the end I went for a nice easy 5Km after javelin coaching. The pain had gone and there was nothing much of import to report.

Total this Week: 25.82Km
    Total this Month: 25.82Km
    Total this Year: 619.95Km
    Runs 77 out of 164 days (47%)

Average runs per week: 3.29
    Average distance per week: 26.46Km

Sounds like a good race Mcs. 30.13 is nay bad considering the busy day and foot pain. I hope the foot is ok.

All seems good with the ankle/foot so far. I pushed on a bit on one of the downhill sections on Saturday and that might have done it. It was fine during yesterday's run so hopefully that's that for now.

Happy enough with the time, all things considered. I was mentally holding back as well as physically with the thought of the race on Sunday.

7.26Km in 49:06 (6:46 min/Km) around Trim

A pretty uneventful run this lunchtime. Was a bit warm, this becoming evident when sheltered from the light breeze. No reoccurrence of the ankle/foot event of Saturday. God be with the days when a run of this length was an event.

Total this Week: 7.26Km
    Total this Month: 33.08Km
    Total this Year: 627.21Km
    Runs 78 out of 165 days (47%)

7.07Km in 47:58 (6:47 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

A lovely warm evening for a run. Nothing much to report except for a recurrence of the exercise-induced anaphylaxis that I suffer from on occasion. I can usually control it by making sure I don’t eat within 3 hours of a run/exertion. The extra heat on the night must have triggered it off and I was frantically searching the car for anti-histamines after the run. It’s a nasty feeling, watching the lumps and bumps appearing before your eyes. Still, all was well in the end and I was even able to do the juvenile session after my run without collapsing in a heap.

Total this Week: 14.33Km
    Total this Month: 40.15Km
    Total this Year: 634.28Km
    Runs 79 out of 166 days (48%)

7.27Km in 49:56 (6:52 min/Km) around Trim

Another warm, still day. Was darn hot out there.

Total this Week: 21.60Km
    Total this Month: 47.42Km
    Total this Year: 641.55Km
    Runs 80 out of 167 days (48%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 hidden

Are you going to do the Braveheart run this friday?

hidden wrote: »
    Are you going to do the Braveheart run this friday?

Have a 17K LSR planned for Friday. Hope to make it along to help out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hi MCS, you're going really well on the runs and good to see your injury is clearing up. Good luck with the LSR tomorrow Love your stats in your posts btw :)

exercise-induced anaphylaxis

:eek: That's kinda scary! Do you carry any meds with you on long runs?

:eek: That's kinda scary! Do you carry any meds with you on long runs?

Its kinda scary when it comes on and I think I don't have the anti-histamines with me:eek:

I generally carry some in my kit bag and car all the time. If I'm going on a run where I will be a distance away from either then I'll pre-empt it and take some in advance. I'll also pop one before a race, just in case.

Its not just running that brings it on. I've suffered it when just walking back to the office on a warm day after a substantial lunch.

17.22Km in 2:08:30 (7:28 min/Km) Royal Canal, Longwood, Co. Meath

LSR for the week. Went out in the late afternoon as I wanted to go along to the Braveheart Run in Trim this evening. Was very warm out there. Despite stopping for a drink at 4 miles I was prune-like when I finished. I knocked back all the water I had with me and picked up some milk and other drinks on the way to Trim. I was still feeling dehydrated at 9.30 that evening. So much so that I must have downed at least another 2 litres of water before I started to feel hungry rather than thirsty.

Felt the distance rather than the pace of this run, particularly in the last mile or so. Mile splits went from 11:03 (1st) to13:08 (10th). I must have looked like an attempt on man-powered flight as I flailed my arms at the swarm of flies that dogged most of my steps. The only relief came when at the more open sections of the canal bank where there was somewhat of a breeze to disperse them (and provide some much welcomed cooling).

Looking at the mile splits I need to Slow the F*ck Up (STFU) at the beginning of these long runs.

Lesson learned (in order of importance):

Bring more water

Bring more water

Bring more water

STFU

Edit:

Breaking New: MCS passes 400 miles for 2010

Total this Week: 38.82Km
    Total this Month: 64.67Km
    Total this Year: 658.77Km
    Runs 81 out of 169 days (48%)

Average runs per week: 3.31
    Average distance per week: 26.97Km

17.22Km in 2:08:30 (7:28 min/Km)

I just looked back and that's the same time as my 11 miler before connemara. If I recall correctly it was the first time I had ever taken gels and they made a big difference... maybe not in pace but in how I felt. Have you decided on gels for DCM? Maybe it's time to experiment on these long runs? The heat must have been a killer too though.

Felt the distance rather than the pace of this run, particularly in the last mile

:eek: MCS is thinking in miles :eek:

I just looked back and that's the same time as my 11 miler before connemara. If I recall correctly it was the first time I had ever taken gels and they made a big difference... maybe not in pace but in how I felt. Have you decided on gels for DCM? Maybe it's time to experiment on these long runs? The heat must have been a killer too though.

:eek: MCS is thinking in miles :eek:

I'm in two minds about whether to use gels or not. It might just be introducing another variable into the equation. When to take them, what to take, how much, etc. With my anaphylaxis issues I’m wary of taking on board too much anyway. I'd almost prefer to use water only. There’s a chap in my club who has completed all the DCMs to date and ne’er a gel has passed his lips!!

The distance on Friday worked out at 10.7 miles. The time at 10 miles was 1:59:59. I use Sporttracks so can jump from metric to imperial at the click of a mouse. Not while running though. ;)

I think training by Kms gives a quicker feedback on pace. It’s easier to adjust the pace. You also get to count down quicker. I do know that miles exist, though. I’m just a late convert to metric who has gone all-obsessive :p

The heat was fairly drastic, all right. I can’t remember ever being so dehydrated or taking so long to rehydrate. I’ve even put off today’s run till this evening in the hope of a breeze. :rolleyes:

8.14Km in 55:48 (6:51 min/Km) around Ballivor

A nice evening/night for a run. Had the company of a stray dog for most of it. He finally got sense and left me to it after about 40 minutes. The temperature had abated and it was much more tolerable.

Total this Week: 8.14Km
    Total this Month: 72.81Km
    Total this Year: 666.91Km
    Runs 82 out of 172 days (47%)

• Advertisement

8.09Km in 57:16 (7:05 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Still fairly warm for this run. I had to get it done early on as juvenile training would occupy the remainder of the evening. Took it at an easy pace. Dunshaughlin 10K this Saturday so want to leave something in the legs for that without compromising the mileage total.

Total this Week: 16.23Km
    Total this Month: 80.90Km
    Total this Year: 675.00Km
    Runs 83 out of 173 days (47%)

Advertisement