Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think the fact that I came so close to achieving one of this year’s targets overshadowed what was, in fact, a good result for me. There is room for improvement and I know what needs to be done. Racing is so dependent on how you turn up on the day and the particular circumstances of weather, course and mental state.

Totally understand that feeling, I had something similar in Raheny (PB but missed target by 13 seconds) and it's just so annoying to be so near, yet so far. Next time you'll obliterate 50 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ugh sooo close MCS. Been there done that too. I would hate to run a lap route. It is very disheartening being passed constantly (tis why I start at the back). I think half the battle is psychological.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    half the battle is psychological.

The other half is persuading a front runner to wear your chip:D

8.92Km in 1:00:51 (6:49 min/Km) around Trim

Frontloading of the week’s mileage continues. Easy enough run. Bit of a breeze but direction wasn’t a problem. Another run tomorrow then easy (read: nothing) till Saturday (Le Cheile 5K, Leixlip)

Total this Week: 20.93Km
    Total this Month: 29.03Km
    Total this Year: 504.83Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 63 out of 124 days

Average runs per week: 3.50
    Average distance per week: 27.76Km

7.92Km in 52:48 (6:40 min/Km) around Trim

Nice handy run, things ticking over nicely.

Total this Week: 28.85Km
    Total this Month: 36.95Km
    Total this Year: 512.75Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 64 out of 125 days

Average runs per week: 3.50
    Average distance per week: 27.76Km

• Advertisement

I see there's a new DCM sub 4.30 thread (nudge nudge ;))

I see there's a new DCM sub 4.30 thread (nudge nudge ;))

Now, what did ye go and say that for? Naughty, naughty!!

I’ve been toying with the thought of a “longer” distance race for a while. I did have a 10-mile or a half-marathon more in mind than the full, complete and unadulterated trudge-fest that a marathon would be.

Get thee behind me, Littlebug…

Maybe do the Adidas race series this year, and work up to the half at the end of September? Would be a fairly nice progression for you. That said, should Littlebug twist your arm enough, we'd love to have you in the sub-4:30 thread ;)

should Littlebug twist your arm enough, we'd love to have you in the sub-4:30 thread ;)

Littlebugs own arm is starting to hurt with being twisted and then untwisted again on an hourly basis.:o

Race tomorrow. Le Cheile 5K, Leixlip. Prediction? Haven’t a clue. It’s a fine line between pacing nicely and overdoing it. Happy to beat time from MSB 5K 2010 (29:51), delighted with new PB (current 29:17 from 2008). McMillan says 29:15, so sub-29 = ecstatic

• Advertisement

Littlebugs own arm is starting to hurt with being twisted and then untwisted again on an hourly basis.:o

Ok, ok, I'm in(ish) too.

What have I done?????????????????????????????

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/star_wars_sounds/wavs/vader_dark_power.wav

Yay! :D

Good luck tomorrow with the 5k, you'll kick that PB's arse!

Utter madness I tells ya! :D

Good luck with the 5k!

Utter madness I tells ya! :D

Good luck with the 5k!

Not sure if I'm still talking to you:p

*eck it, thanks:D:D:D

5.06Km in 29:59 (5:55 min/Km) Le Cheile AC 5Km Race, Leixlip, Co. Kildare

A lovely dry, sunny, coolish but unfortunately windy morning. Breakfast sorted then out the door to sneak across the border to Kildare (shhhhh, don’t tell my County Chairman :o)

Registration a doddle, per-entered so picked up number in a matter of seconds. No queues of any kind even at the on-the-day reg desk. Threw a glance into the refreshment tent to salivate over the post-race goodies… yummmm.

To business. Started bang on time, one of the best organised starts I have seen in a long time.

Away we went, faced with the prospect of the stiffest climb of the course within the first 1Km. Having scaled its lofty heights then free-wheeled down the other side. Wind at the back all the way. 1st Km in 5:56.

2nd Km in 5:42, helped by tail-wind and downhill. 3rd Km in 5:57 into the teeth of a nor-easter. 4th Km in 5:56, bloody wind, 5th Km in 6:03, wind and uphill again. Last 0.06 in 0:22. Last 800m was effective trail/grass and this would impact on pace. Total time 29:59, 8 seconds outside of MSB time from March.

On the whole I am delighted with my performance. Inside 30 minutes again and considering the hills/wind a strong showing. Pacing much better. Happy days.:D

Didn’t stay for the goodies as family duties were pressing.:(

Total this Week: 34.89Km
    Total this Month: 42.99Km
    Total this Year: 555.74Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 65 out of 128 days

Average runs per week: 3.53
    Average distance per week: 30.15Km

2.98Km in 19:28 (6:32 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Typical after-race performance. A mentally difficult run, compounded by the need to do laps. Didn’t have the mental fortitude to do any more than 3 laps, packed up and went home.

Total this Week: 2.98Km
    Total this Month: 45.97Km
    Total this Year: 558.72Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 66 out of 130 days

Average runs per week: 3.53
    Average distance per week: 30.15Km

Race tonight. Simon Cumbers Memorial 6K, hosted by Navan AC

Been out of the Office all week = out of routine = no running done :(

Maybe just as well. Legs should be fresher.

Prediction: Record for this distance/event is 36:31 from May 2008. Happy to beat that, delighted to get under 36:00, ecstatic with anything substantially better than that.

Always a good feed after this event so looking forward to that :p

Mileage is shockingly down this week. A combination of official duties out of the office and the fall out from the race last Saturday. :(

Just as a BTW, I’ve started telling people of my intention to run the DCM this October. Getting mixed reactions :confused: but the die is cast. Just need to find a decent training schedule and we’re good to go.:cool:

6.05Km in 37:25 (6:11 min/Km) Simon Cumbers Memorial 6K, Navan

Wasn’t sure what to expect going into this race. I wasn’t feeling the freshest despite not running since Monday. A lot of disturbed sleep during the week and just generally being out of my routine.

Race started on time. Went out a bit strong and backed off the pace a bit after 0.5Km. Couldn’t quite capture the magic from Dunboyne but tried to run by perceived effort. If I had tried to chase the pace I would probably have crashed and burned in the last Km. As it was, this was the best I could produce on the night, all things considered. Tergat (I love that man, I want to have his babies ;-) ) maintains that you should run by how you feel on the day and not by some arbitrary pace that may or may not be achievable.

37:25 compares nicely with the 38:15 I did over the same course and distance at this race last year. More than that, I had a strong dislike for this course but this time found it more enjoyable overall.

Total this Week: 9.85Km
    Total this Month: 55.82Km
    Total this Year: 565.59Km
    Runs 67 out of 134 days

Average runs per week: 3.44
    Average distance per week: 29.11Km

Races galore MCS! Good stuff... good to get a new course pb!

I find I'm badly affected by wind too :D.
    Seriously, on one long run a while back I was paying no heed to time or pace but just kept the garming on HR. There was quite a strong wind and anytime I turned a corner into it the HR would shoot up just with the extra effort of maintaining pace against the wind. If we could get rid of all the hills and the wind we'd be flying ;)

5.41Km in 37:05 (6:51 min/Km) around Trim

Struggled, as is my wont after a race, with this run. Was into the 5th Km before I started to disassociate and began to move freely mentally. An easy enough pace but it’s the perceived effort that’s the key.

Total this Week: 5.41Km
    Total this Month: 61.23Km
    Total this Year: 571Km
    Runs 68 out of 137 days

• Advertisement

Random Ruminations :rolleyes:

I’ve committed mentally, if not financially, to the DCM now. So much so that I’ve mapped out a training schedule from here till the Big Day.

I’m basing it on a Beginner Schedule from Bob Glovers’ “The Competitive Runner’s Handbook”.

It’s a 16-week schedule, starting on the 5th July, but during the meanwhilst I’m going to use variations of its first 3 weeks over the 7 weeks between now and then. It calls for 5 runs a week so the intervening time will prove an adjustment period for me from 4 to 5 per week. The weekly mileage will stay much around where I’m at now with the LSR varying from 8 to 13. I may have to tinker with the actual days running as I’m not sure if LSR’s on Saturdays will suit my hectic social schedule.

I’ve looked at Runners World and Hal Higdon (genuflects:o) schedules but wasn’t satisfied with the number of really long runs they called for. My choice has an 18-miler and 3 x 20-milers. With my mental issues (that didn’t come out the way I wanted it to :p ) I think the repeated 20-mile jaunts will give me confidence and experience of grinding it out when fatigued.

I’m still going to race along the way but will fit them in to suit the schedule. There is one major milestone, the Longford Half-Marathon on 29th August. That should give me a good idea of how things are going, with enough time to adjust with another 8 weeks to go at that stage.

6.96Km in 49:40 (7:08 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Rather proud of this run. Not in terms of distance or pace, but the sheer fact that I did it at all!! :p Was in Donegal and Sligo today with work so out of the house at 6:30am, back home at 5:30pm yet was out running at 6:40pm. It was very warm and humid, with whatever breeze there was just moving the warm air around rather than providing any cooling benefit.

Ran again by perceived effort, and with the prevailing conditions 7:08 min/Km was the pace to be at.

Total this Week: 12.37Km
    Total this Month: 68.19Km
    Total this Year: 577.96Km
    Runs 69 out of 139 days (49%)

13.86Km in 1:37:35 (7:03 min/Km) around Ballivor

It was Hot Hot Hot today. No, not the band :p but a temperate air-mass lying over the country. I quickly abandoned any thoughts of running during daylight hours after spending a sweltering couple of hours at the riding stables this afternoon.

So at 11pm I trundled out the door with an 8-mile LSR in prospect. Due to the limitations of street lighting in the village I ended up doing about 3 laps in total. Still, job done and back home again before the majority of the drunks hit the streets.

Total this Week: 26.23Km
    Total this Month: 82.05Km
    Total this Year: 591.82Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 70 out of 141 days (49%)

Average runs per week: 3.5
    Average distance per week: 29.59Km

6.96Km in 42:21 (6:05 min/Km) Na Fianna Bob Heffernan 5K Road Race, Johnstownbridge, Co. Meath

A 1.96Km warm-up out to the start line (6:39 min/Km pace) from registration.

Race started at 8:03pm, about 200-odd souls (or 400-odd soles ;) ) on mostly quiet country roads. Was determined to run by perceived effort so resisted the temptation to look at the Garmin until I had crossed the finish line.

As has been said on other threads hereabouts this is a nice course with definite PB potential. My time over the 5Km route (29:34 watch time, 5:52 min/Km) is a season best, and my second fastest 5K-time ever. Happy Days. :D

Kept the pace hard all through and finished with my lunch in my mouth, so nothing was left out on the course (effort or lunch). :p

Total this Week: 6.96Km
    Total this Month: 89.01Km
    Total this Year: 598.78Km
    Runs 71 out of 144 days (49%)

7.87Km in 55:10 (7:00 min/Km) around Trim

An easy enough run after the exertions in Johnstonbridge last evening. Race was still in my legs and my head. Running company helped to keep the focus and all in all a good run.

Total this Week: 14.83Km
    Total this Month: 96.88Km
    Total this Year: 606.65Km
    Runs 72 out of 145 days (49%)

Nicely done, you're going very well at the moment. I can see how a course around that area would have PB potential, was in Johnstownbridge for a wedding a couple of months ago and the area looked really flat.

Nicely done, you're going very well at the moment. I can see how a course around that area would have PB potential, was in Johnstownbridge for a wedding a couple of months ago and the area looked really flat.

Ta very muchly;) The only incline of any note is as you pull away from the start line. The 5th Km starts with a 500m downhill stretch so gravity is your bestest friend at that stage.

Well done mcs. All that slogging (and all those miles) is/are paying off.

Well done mcs. All that slogging (and all those miles) is/are paying off.

Very kind of you to say so. I've been watching your exertions in the Galway 5K Series with some interest. Well done yourself.

• Advertisement

Cheers MCS. I'll be glad when it's all over!

Advertisement