Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

10.24Km in 1:07:16 (6:34 min/Km) around Trim

A nice hard paced run this lunchtime. Pace varied from 6:13 to 6:53. Ran by perceived effort and only checked pace at the end. 1:05:38 at 10Km distance (a new PB if it were a race:D).

Total this Week: 17.48Km
    Total this Month: 10.24Km
    Total this Year: 354.70Km
    Runs this Week: 2

Average runs per week: 3.45
    Average distance per week: 27.13Km

12.88Km in 1:31:11 (6:49 min/Km) along the Royal Canal from Longwood

A lovely evening for a run. A bit quicker than last time but it didn’t feel much harder. Hardly a sinner in sight, apart from the muppet who had let his fang-flashing idiot of a boxer loose and couldn’t be a*sed to keep it under control. My LSR pace has now improved from around 7:30ish down to 7.00ish. This is also generally in line with my race pace which has improved recently. I’m putting the improvement down to more consistent running, increased mileage and greater motivation (all thanks to this log (and you, good reader) and my recent decentralisation to Trim allowing for regular lunchtime training runs since last November.

Total this Week: 30.37Km
    Total this Month: 23.13Km
    Total this Year: 367.58Km
    Runs this Week: 3

Average runs per week: 3.42
    Average distance per week: 27.37Km

7.48Km in 49:34 (6:38 min/Km) around Ballivor

Having emerged from a chocolate and goodie-press inhaling coma I embarked on a late night run to shake out the cobwebs. In keeping with the miserable wet and windy night all sane individuals were happily ensconced indoors and were not around to witness my continuing madness.

Total this Week: 7.48Km
    Total this Month: 30.61Km
    Total this Year: 375.06Km
    Runs this Week: 1

5.12Km in 31:27 (6:09 min/Km) around club grounds at Frayne

Now this was a hard one. Km splits 6:07, 5:41, 6:14, 6:08, 6:31. Half the lap is uphill so these would represent some of the best times I have ever done around the track. You could call it a tempo session, a hill session, whatever. I called it madness at the time. Glad I did it now, though.

Total this Week: 12.60Km
    Total this Month: 35.73Km
    Total this Year: 380.85Km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Your knowledge came in handy on easter monday - alsaa and morton closed so ended up remembering you d said about gormanstown. the gravel track is now a mud track but it did the trick. thanks

• Advertisement

10.17Km in 1:10:27 (6:56 min/Km) around Trim

While the pace transpired to be slower than the same circuit last Thursday it didn’t feel that much easier. It was less windy, but warmer. This may have contributed to it. Still, with a week and a bit to go to the Great Ireland Trudge I am confident, based on my Dunboyne result, and the training PB from last week, of getting inside the 1:06:47 current standard from the Lakes 10K last September. Getting below 1 hour? Not this time, what with the numbers expected but maybe knocking on its door.

Total this Week: 22.27Km
    Total this Month: 45.89Km
    Total this Year: 391Km

4.49Km in 30:57 (7:13 min/Km) around Trim

After the longer run yesterday this was more about keeping up the averages than anything else. I have a LSR in store this weekend (probably tomorrow) so no great pressure. It was a lot warmer out there than I have encountered for a long while.

Total this Week: 27.26Km
    Total this Month: 50.38Km
    Total this Year: 396Km
    Runs this Week: 4

4.99Km in 33:36 (6:44 min/Km) on the beach in Ballyferriter, Co. Kerry

Was down in this neck of the woods with work so had hoped to take a run along Inch Strand. However time and tide waits for no man and by the time the high-tide had abated sufficiently to allow for running on the sand it was too late to trek over to Inch and back again.

Total this Week: 4.99Km
    Total this Month: 55.37Km
    Total this Year: 400.99Km

Average runs per week: 3.46
    Average distance per week: 27.44Km

7.24 in 48:05 (6:38 min/Km) around Trim

Pushed the pace on a bit in this one. Last hardish run before Sunday’s Great Ireland Trudge in the Phoenix Park. Not sure what to expect on Sunday. I’m confident of a new PB over the distance just not sure what impact the sheer numbers taking part will have on it. I’m running with a corporate group so won’t be able to avail of the “fast club runners” pen. If I can maintain the even pacing from the Dunboyne Race I should be fine.

Total this Week: 12.23Km
    Total this Month: 62.61Km
    Total this Year: 408.23Km

6.30Km in 39:20 (6:09 min/Km) around Trim

So Wednesday’s run was to be the last hardish run before the race on Sunday. Well, nobody told me!! The Garmin shut down due to a lack of energy (a lot of it about) about 1.2km into the run and I tried to run at an easy enough pace for the rest of the distance. The heat lulled me into a false sense of pace so I trundled along far faster than planned.

I’ve been caught out before by the Garmin shutting down mid-run. The power on button seems a bit exposed and can sometimes be depressed while in my backpack causing the battery drain.

So on to the Great Ireland Trudge on Sunday. Prediction? I’ve already gotten inside my 1:06:47 time (from the Lakes 10K last September) during training. So I have to at least better 1:05:38. McMillan, without any regard for the 10,500 other souls who will be sharing tarmac with me, or the incline from 6.5 to 8.5Km, predicts a 1:00:46. Now, if I came that close to getting below 1:00:00 I would be well and truly miffed. So, happy with sub-1:05:38, delighted (and well and truly miffed) with sub-1:00:46, ecstatic with a sub-1:00:00.

Total this Week: 18.53Km
    Total this Month: 68.91Km
    Total this Year: 414.53Km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

MCS I think you're well able for sub 60. If the crowds thwart your efforts then I've no doubt you'll have a good pb in the bag and it's just a small step til sub 60 in a race with a smaller field. Best of luck. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck on Sunday MCS, hope you don't get too caught up with traffic and that sub 60 is on.

Thanks Guys. I was cruising coming into 3.5 miles in Dunboyne before the red mist descended:D. If I can find and keep that sort of even pace I'll be there or thereabouts. I've only ever driven up the inclines on this course. Last time I ran in the Pheonix Park (November 1986:eek:) we went in the opposite direction.

BTW good luck Rach. Littlebug, what now for you?

10.24Km in 1:05:14 (6:22 min/Km) Great Ireland Run 2010, Phoenix Park, Dublin

The morning dawned bright and chilly, with very little wind. Bag packed and breakfast downed, out the door at 9:30. I had a parking space organised close to the start line but had to be in the park before the roads closed. Parked up in good time, sorted my number and cheered on the finishers in the Junior race.

Lined up in the 55 – 65 minute pen at 1pm and waited for the off. Took 7 minutes to cross the start line and was moving only very slowly over the first Km (6:32), stepped up a gear in 2nd Km (6:08) and was cruising in the 3rd (5:57), 4th (6:02) and 5th (6:06). Then it started to unravel, 6th (6:39), 7th (6:21), 8th (6:48) and 9th (6:53). Found a bit of form in the 10th (6:18).

A PB by 1:33. Found the course (or at least the hills) hard. Actually thought about walking at one stage but managed to banish that demon. The course was relatively congested the whole way around. This surprised me as I thought it would thin out a lot more as the distance unfolded. I was always having to look ahead to see where the next walker was going to be, and having to plan the overtaking manoeuvre so as not to get boxed in.

Hope the chap who required the paramedics at the 5Km mark is ok.

So, overall happy with a shiny new PB. Found the hills hard but didn’t go glacial, so an improvement there over the Lakes debacle. Still had something in the tank over the last Km so a nice improvement in stamina. Just have to find a nice level and less congested 10K and see exactly where I’m at.

Next race BHAA RTE 5 Mile, May 1st. Looking for a sub-50 PB there, passed 5 miles this time in 50:53 (51:43 current PB time).

Total this Week: 28.77Km
    Total this Month: 79.15Km
    Total this Year: 424.77Km
    Runs 54 out of 108 days

Average runs per week: 3.49
    Average distance per week: 27.52Km

Current PBs

3K – 16:56 - Meath T&F Championships 11th May 2008

5K – 29:17 - MSB 5K 16th March 2008

6K – 36:31 - Simon Cumbers Memorial 16th May 2008

4 Mile – 38:16 - Dunboyne 4 Mile 28th March 2010

5 Mile – 51:43 – Raheny 5 Mile 31st January 2010

10K – 1:05:14 – Great Ireland Run 18th April 2010

Beat Littlebug to 200 miles in 2010 1000-Mile Challenge :D

Current PBs

Beat Littlebug to 200 miles in 2010 1000-Mile Challenge :D

:mad: (but not really) :p

Well done on the pb MCS. It sounds like it was horribly congested up there. Have you a flatter less populous race in mind? I imagine you'll be spoilt for choice now in the summer.

littlebug wrote: »
    :mad: (but not really) :p

Well done on the pb MCS. It sounds like it was horribly congested up there. Have you a flatter less populous race in mind? I imagine you'll be spoilt for choice now in the summer.
    Not sure if I'd want to do a race with as large a field as this again.

I'm planning on doing the Dunshaughlin 10K on 26th June. Not sure if there's a suitable one sooner than that. Weekends start to get almost as congested as the GIR at this time of year, Meath T&F, Leinster T&F etc.

Next race should be RTE 5 Mile on 1st May followed by Le Cheile 5K on 8th. Hope to PB at both:o. Also have 2 races in the Meath Road Race League as well (14th and 25th). Also want to get to one of Mullingar AC's 5Ks during May.

Busy busy busy....

The challenge will be to keep up the training volume as well.

5.41Km in 35:46 (6:37 min/Km) around Trim

So, back into the harness again after last Sunday’s run. Despite the congestion etc, I feel I put in a good performance, particularly as the hills kicked in a lot sooner than I thought they would. The extra runs/mileage stood to me and when I emerged from the undergrowth of the Furry Glen I had something left in the tank to pick up the pace again.

Today was just about getting back in to the swing again. Calves protested a bit at the start but nothing serious. Pleased with the effort.

Total this Week: 5.41Km
    Total this Month: 84.56Km
    Total this Year: 429.91Km
    Runs 55 out of 110 days

7.84Km in 52:59 (6:45 min/Km) around Trim

A lovely day for run. Spring in the air, cherry blossom on the trees, sun in the sky, wind in my hair (stubble), flies in my teeth. A nice easy run, nothing too hectic. I find that the first couple of runs after a race are more of a mental than a physical struggle. LSR due tomorrow as I won’t get the chance for anything other than a short run this weekend, what with being in Sligo for the AAI Congress and all that.

Total this Week: 13.25Km
    Total this Month: 92.40Km
    Total this Year: 437.75Km
    Runs 56 out of 112 days

15.15Km in 1:51:41 (7:22 min/Km) along Royal Canal near Longwood

Nice pleasant evening for a run. I’ve been in 2 minds lately as to whether to extend the length of my LSRs or keep with the 1:30 time and let the pace improve. In the end I’ve decided to extend the distance of one per month and keep with the 1:30 time for the others. So this was the long LSR for this month.

With the linear nature of the canal this is an out-and-back route. This is good in so far as you can’t cut the run short because you have to get back to the start anyway. However I seemed to be too aware of the increase in distance and the pace over the return leg was distinctly slower (7:40 min/Km). Physically I think I could have maintained something like the outward pace (7:04 min/Km) but mentally I wasn’t committed to it. This is something I’ll have to work on, particularly if I want to even think about going for a longer race than 10K later in the year.

Total this Week: 28.40Km
    Total this Month: 107.55Km
    Total this Year: 452.90Km
    Runs 57 out of 113 days

Average runs per week: 3.47
    Average distance per week: 27.56Km

• Advertisement

7.22Km in 48:29 (6:43 min/Km) around Trim

Today its 364 days till my next birthday. Having “celebrated” yesterday with a Chinese takeaway and fiery ginger beer from M&S my head (and innards) was a bit Oliver Plunkett today. So, how surprised was I when I managed to fool/cajole/entice my weary bones out at lunchtime. Unsurprisingly no run had materialised over the weekend.

Total this Week: 7.22Km
    Total this Month: 114.77Km
    Total this Year: 460.12Km
    Runs 58 out of 116 days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats (happy birthday) and commiserations (you have to wait 364 days until the next one!).

Happy Belated birthday MCS :) A few more weekends like that and I might catch up with you ;)
    Here... have another beer....

6.48Km in 43:14 (6:40 min/Km) around Trim

Nice mild day out. Bit of a breeze. Went off on a totally new route today as I was getting a bit fed up of running down the self same roads the self same way.

Total this Week: 13.70Km
    Total this Month: 121.25Km
    Total this Year: 466.60Km
    Runs 59 out of 117 days

9.20Km in 1:01:33 (6:41 min/Km) around Trim

Unremarkable

Total this Week: 22.90Km
    Total this Month: 130.45Km
    Total this Year: 475.80Km
    Runs 60 out of 118 days

Race tomorrow. BHAA RTE 5 Mile. By all accounts this is a good race to take part in. Never done one of the BHAA events before. Definitely won’t have to contend with the vast rumbling horde from the GIR.

Even though I PB’d at the GIR I feel I didn’t do myself justice. So, hopefully, this race will make amends.

McMillan (him again), having studied my log and satellite telemetry from the Dunboyne 4 Mile, puts out an ambitious time of 48:29. Thanks, dude.

Current standard is 51:43 from Raheny 5 Mile last January.

Going to go out on a limb here – that time is toast….

I’ll be happy with a glistening new PB, delighted with a sub-50:00 (one of this year’s targets) and “a whooping and a hollering” if I do McMillan justice, i.e. sub-48:29

Watch this space…..

p.s. I’ve fallen behind target for completing the 1000 Mile Challenge for 2010. In order to now rescue that attempt I will have to increase the average monthly mileage from 83.33 to 88.04. By adjusting now that works out at an extra 1.55 miles per week. My record of maintaining mileage while racing regularly is not the best so I will have to keep close tabs on the figures. I have 5 races pencilled in for May. (1st, 8th, 12th, 14th and 25th (a 5 mile, 6K and 3 x 5K). I don’t relish the thoughts of having to run a marathon (or an ultra) on New Year’s Eve just to meet the yearly target.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Looks like I've a few sums of my own to do :(

Best of luck tomorrow MCS and enjoy it. No bother to ya.

8.10Km in 50:08 (6:12 min/Km) BHAA RTE 5 Mile, Donnybrook, Dublin

A cool, relatively overcast morning with light winds. I was impressed with the organisation at registration. Separate streams for members, day members and pre-reg day members. Some heavy shower clouds in the distance as we went to the start line. Race started on time after a round of applause for the late Gerry Ryan.

The course is 4 x 1.2 mile laps through the RTE campus and out around Nutley Lane and Ailesbury. Laps and myself are not great bedfellows.

Mile Splits - 9:31, 9:29, 9:59, 10:23, 10:31

Was lapped by the leaders as I set out for 2nd lap (they were starting their 3rd). Pace then slowed inexorably from then to the end as the majority of the field streamed past. This is a recurring theme for me and is an area I really need to work on. Physically I seem to have the work done, mentally questions are asked.

Anyway, enough of this doom and gloom. A new PB by 1:35, happy with that. Missed out on sub-50 by 9 seconds. Disappointed. McMillan was away for the weekend and didn’t even bother to call.

I think the fact that I came so close to achieving one of this year’s targets overshadowed what was, in fact, a good result for me. There is room for improvement and I know what needs to be done. Racing is so dependent on how you turn up on the day and the particular circumstances of weather, course and mental state.

Cracked 300 miles for 2010. It was September last year before I reached that mileage.

Total this Week: 31.00Km
    Total this Month: 8.10Km
    Total this Year: 483.90Km
    Runs 61 out of 121 days

Average runs per week: 3.50
    Average distance per week: 27.76Km

• Advertisement

12.01 Km in 1:29:09 (7:25 min/Km) at Club grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Nice easy recovery pace run to shake out the legs after Saturday’s race. Wasn’t expecting anything spectacular and didn’t get it. This week will be front-loaded as far as training is concerned. Giving blood on Thursday and race on Saturday so all the work will be done Monday to Wednesday.

Total this Week: 12.01Km
    Total this Month: 20.11Km
    Total this Year: 495.91Km
    Runs 62 out of 123 days

Average runs per week: 3.50
    Average distance per week: 27.76Km

Advertisement