Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again, again, again) it begins... [SU elections]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Funnily enough Dan's manifesto is pretty much along those right wing lines with which we are all too familiar. (Very cantab-esque)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Nikolai Trigoub-Rotnem
    This is not a real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'd give Nicolai my vote. Sound chap.

And a guy from Duams (durns) is running for ents. so it would nice to see a non-wanker as ents.

Hmm...Could mean an end to the great club nights Mick brought this year. ****ty indie bands instead on international DJs? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

This is not a real name.

Actually, it is. He's the current Assistant Campaigns Officer on the SU.

http://www.universitytimes.ie/story.php?id=329

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Hmm...Could mean an end to the great club nights Mick brought this year. ****ty indie bands instead on international DJs? Nah.

Apparently he's listed as a joke candidate. I heard his campaign slogan is "blasphemy, muzik and heat @ tripod will all run anyway".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jennedy

So who are the joke candidates and who aren't?
    The paper didn't say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Could people post up the various election manifestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Boston wrote: »
    Could people post up the various election manifestos.

I was wandering around Trinity yesterday....I'm pretty sure campaigning doesnt start till Monday.

So we won't know who wants us to vote for them and whos promoting a bad standup career til monday? yipee.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkwood

Better still, campaigning isn't until Monday week! Campaigns start on the 8th, and results announced on the 18th.

And for all those who think the SU should disband, I encourage you to attend a session of Student Council (they're all marked in your free diary and on the www.tcdsu.org website). I was one of those couldn't care less people before I was asked to become a class rep and saw what the SU actually do! Suppose, you would be inclined to think they do nothing when you never read the weekly SU e-mail anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh, I don't doubt that they occasionally do things. My problem with the SU is that it seems to be comprised solely of insufferable twatwaffles.

Oh I dunno, they put a stop to fees, they exposed TCD's practice of using the reg fee for other than student services, they're building a student centre, they put together Trinity Ball, Rag Ball, etc, they provide free grinds to everyone, they got you the 24 hr study space in the library... shall I go on?

You know what you're doing Pet, you're stereotyping, you're no better than a racist.

Monkwood wrote: »
    Oh I dunno, 1. they put a stop to fees, 2. they exposed TCD's practice of using the reg fee for other than student services, 3. they're building a student centre, they put together Trinity Ball, Rag Ball, etc, they provide free grinds to everyone, they got you the 24 hr study space in the library... shall I go on?

You know what you're doing Pet, you're stereotyping, you're no better than a racist.

1. Green party done some politicin to get that done,
    2. Everyone suspected that this was the case, and then when the accounts were released, everyone knew it was the case
    3. Endless consultation and surveys does not constitute building

1. I heard it was a guy in the union who is in the green party who made them do it

devinejay wrote: »
    2. Everyone suspected that this was the case, and then when the accounts were released, everyone knew it was the case

1. The Green party were being held in the dark about some of the details surrounding fees. They were undecided on fees until TCDSU President Conan O'Broin and UCDSU President had a meeting with Green Party Leader John Gormley over the summer. He very quickly made up his mind after that meeting.

2. Accounts were released because TCDSU President Conan O'Broin requested them under the Freedom of Information Act.

3. The consultation and survey stage is over. The plans have been drawn up, and planning permission all but granted; further information on the drainage system plan has been requested, the rest is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

devinejay wrote: »

yhbt. yhl. hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Oh come on. The SU should act on behalf of students interests but like most unions they are run by an elite of self important dullards with no idea of how vain and irrelevant they are to the universe at large. All politics essentially boils down to ego, but when people yap on about these individuals as if they are virtuous and ergo, worthy of my approval, then they have a lot to prove yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

1. The Green party were being held in the dark about some of the details surrounding fees. They were undecided on fees until TCDSU President Conan O'Broin and UCDSU President had a meeting with Green Party Leader John Gormley over the summer. He very quickly made up his mind after that meeting.

How you can believe that is beyond me. I'm sure the minister for environment only needed gentle prodding from a few 20 year olds with a pumped up sense of self worth.

^^^Late to the trolling party

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

You're still missing one rather determined Young Green.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

so if we kill off all the greens, is it a genocide?

Or a greenocide?

/me gets coat

The Su does have an important role and should not disband.

Unfortunately it is over-run by hacks (who will do their job for the sake of a cv). Admitteldy some of the non-vital jobs (such as ents) have a huge amount of varience in what can be achieved, but for the important stuff (which they are actually there for) I don't think there's such a level of leeway and the job will probably get done regardless.

Admittedly there is no possible better system than the current elections, it's really just a symptom of us being in college for such a short time that all most students have to make their decision on is a list of empty promises (with little varience between candidates) and a catchy slogan (Dunne for Fun etc.).

That is why I will be spoiling my vote. Ok, so I won't be changing anything, but at least I'll be a nuisance to the hacks who have volunteered to count the votes (seriously, why the hell would you take up such a job unless you were trying to gain clout within the SU?). Also, the /b/tard in me prefers the concept of vote spoiling than abstainaning or voting RON :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

vinylmesh wrote: »

That is why I will be spoiling my vote. Ok, so I won't be changing anything, but at least I'll be a nuisance to the hacks who have volunteered to count the votes (seriously, why the hell would you take up such a job unless you were trying to gain clout within the SU?).

Two reasons. Some do it because they honestly believe in the democratic system. Also you get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Unfortunately it is over-run by hacks (who will do their job for the sake of a cv).

I'd love if for once the TCD forum would come in with some proof to back-up this argument, which is spouted in every single thread about any sort of college politics. Oh, he/she/they are all hacks, blah blah, grumble grumble.

My guess is that it's either jealousy, envy, or just generally trying to find an excuse not to feel good for someone volunteering to put a lot of work into serving other people.

This idea is the reason I don't venture more onto the TCD board. People in here when it comes to real world politics are this strange kind of self-rightious right-wing type politics, where they're more or less fascist, but think it's the right thing, and when it comes to politics inside college, everything is the world is awful, and anyone involved is a hack.

Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

My guess is that it's either jealousy, envy

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I'd love if for once the TCD forum would come in with some proof to back-up this argument, which is spouted in every single thread about any sort of college politics. Oh, he/she/they are all hacks, blah blah, grumble grumble.

My guess is that it's either jealousy, envy, or just generally trying to find an excuse not to feel good for someone volunteering to put a lot of work into serving other people.

This idea is the reason I don't venture more onto the TCD board. People in here when it comes to real world politics are this strange kind of self-rightious right-wing type politics, where they're more or less fascist, but think it's the right thing, and when it comes to politics inside college, everything is the world is awful, and anyone involved is a hack.

Boring.

What if one is involved and still considers everyone a hack? Mindfcuk

Or just that I know some of these people, and that they're massive lick-arses with little personality.
    I'm not saying they're all hacks (indeed I know people in the su who are not hacks), just that an awful lot of them are, because well, from day1 of first year they are attracted to it like moths to a lightbulb.
    Unlike the running of the country, I find it hard to imagine that many people genuinely feel that strongly about the su. Although there may be a few, they're lost in a sea of hacks and people who went for class rep for a laugh (neither of whom really care).

Boring.

As I said, not everyone, just a lot of them, it attracts that sort of person. Btw I am a left-leaning libertarian (pretty much the exact opposite of what you're describing) :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

As I said, not everyone, just a lot of them, it attracts that sort of person. Btw I am a left-leaning libertarian (pretty much the exact opposite of what you're describing) :D.

How does that work? You can't be in favour of taxing the wealthy to help the poor, and if favour of letting people do whatever they want, with small government, too? Can you?:confused:

I hate that phrase "libertarian" it's just bs for "I'm going to do what I want whether you like it or not" regardless of the blatant politics that those actions are based on! Besides which if you're a libertarian why are so vehemently criticising the choices of others? For God's sake, Glenn Beck considers himself libertarian!!!

• Advertisement

dan719v2.0 wrote: »
    How does that work? You can't be in favour of taxing the wealthy to help the poor, and if favour of letting people do whatever they want, with small government, too? Can you?:confused:

Well there's social issues and economic issues. I like to think they're seperate categories (as do political compass tests). On social issues I am libertarian, on economic issues I am center left.

Affording a basic quality of life to the people does not go against my view of freedom.
    jennedy wrote: »
    I hate that phrase "libertarian" it's just bs for "I'm going to do what I want whether you like it or not" regardless of the blatant politics that those actions are based on! Besides which if you're a libertarian why are so vehemently criticising the choices of others? For God's sake, Glenn Beck considers himself libertarian!!!

:confused: I'm free to criticise all i want. It's not like I'm looking for a ban on hacks. I recognise their right to be hacks, but i also believe i have the right to say whatever i want about them. This is all very OT tbh.

Advertisement