Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again, again, again) it begins... [SU elections]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I just kinda like giving out about the SU. Is that so wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I'm free to criticise all i want. It's not like I'm looking for a ban on hacks. I recognise their right to be hacks, but i also believe i have the right to say whatever i want about them. This is all very OT tbh.

You can criticise all you want, I'm just sick of everyone on this board constantly coming out with same non-argument that everyone involved in college politics is a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

You can criticise all you want, I'm just sick of everyone on this board constantly coming out with same non-argument that everyone involved in college politics is a hack.

Agreed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The hacks would be annoyed about that, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Premise: The SU is full of hacks.
    Premise: People in or running for the SU are aggrivated by being called "hacks"
    Therefore: The SU is full of hacks.

*winner*

• Advertisement

Come on... you need only look at some of the cringe inducing campaign posters of the past. It is all ego driven elitism, full of people drunk on self approval, and fed by people delusional about the true nature of political engagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jennedy

Dats a bit harsh isnt it?! Like I know theres some total twatz but wat about welfare? Like theyr like mini counselers, my friend had was havin a really bad time of it last year and the girl doin it then really ehlped her out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Girl? I know he calls himselve the condom fairy, but to confuse his gender is abit offensive, nei?

I'll have more to say later, but wrt to welfare, you'd have to be a ****ing retard to a welfare officer for advice. There are professional councillors in trinity who are infinitely more qualified to give you advice. You might as well walk down grafton street as go to the welfare officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Like it or not, there's a stigma attached to going to a counselor. I wouldn't think the same stigma exists with the SU Welfare Officer.

Like it or not, there's a stigma attached to going to a counselor. I wouldn't think the same stigma exists with the SU Welfare Officer.

Stigma or not, going to talk to some randomer you know nothing about with absolutely no pyschological credentials at all is something of an absurdity... Honestly, it might be good to talk to someone you don't know and who isn't a professional, but an SU politician? Jesus.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    Stigma or not, going to talk to some randomer you know nothing about with absolutely no pyschological credentials at all is something of an absurdity... Honestly, it might be good to talk to someone you don't know and who isn't a professional, but an SU politician? Jesus.

Samaritans are fairly successful at what they do aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Boston wrote: »
    Girl? I know he calls himselve the condom fairy, but to confuse his gender is abit offensive, nei?

Last year. I presume the poster refers to last academic year.

On the welfare officer front, the role is primarily to refer those who ask for help to the appropriate service, be it academic/counselling/medical etc.

Being involved in one of the peer support groups usually lends itself well to the role. The poster who made the point on stigma is probably correct. Also don't forget not all people have been around college long enough to know that the support is there. Sometimes having a fellow student as a contact point can help these people get the help that they want or need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Denerick wrote: »
    Come on... you need only look at some of the cringe inducing campaign posters of the past. It is all ego driven elitism, full of people drunk on self approval, and fed by people delusional about the true nature of political engagement.

I thought my poster was Hawt.

Foley was a girl Joe.

As for the SU vs the Councilling service for help, both aregood, both are heavily over subsribed. Stigma or no stigma people use the services.

I always thought it would have been good to be able to go to the Welfare Officer or the S2S councillors...someone your own age to talk to and so forth. Much more of a service for non-hacks even as there would be less of a chance of knowing the people personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jennedy

Yeah I was talkin bout Orla. She was pretty sound to him like, it wasnt a big deal for him to just go have a chat with someone but like a counciller meant he was nuts or something. Plus she still knew wat its like being a student and i heard theres a massive waiting list for the councillers.

I recall one welfare officer regaling fellow hacks with stories of student woes. That sealed the deal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

I recall one welfare officer regaling fellow hacks with stories of student woes. That sealed the deal for me.

that I hate to hear but you cannot paint all welfare officer then with the one brush much like you cant paint all su officers with the one title (hacks).

My friend relied on Orla a lot last year due to stuff going on for her. its like posters already said its the comfort of having someone our own age because my friend really had an issue with talking to a counsellor. she eventually did seek help from the counselling service after going through it over and over with orla.

It goes to the fact these people are non-professionals with no accreditation.

Anyway, manifestos would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

It goes to the fact these people are non-professionals with no accreditation.

And they're not claiming to provide professional help.

An open ear and a cup of tea can work their own wonders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I too have heard a welfare officer discuss a students problem with the crew outside house 6. I had no time for the union after that.

Although I've left tcd and moved onto pastures new one thing which always annoyed me about the candidates was the blandness, and never delivering on election promises. I remember one year a candidate coming up to me and handing me their manifesto, explaining that one of their goals was to refurbish the Hamilton Library. While a good promise, it wasn't something he had the authority to promise and after a brief flick through the manifesto, it was more of the same... all undeliverable promises.

In the university I attend now, the SU runs a fleet of 11 minibuses for student clubs and socs to hire (if you have a B licence you can drive a minibus not for profit). The union officers do not take a wage either afaik. There are great ideas out there, the candidates need to look to other universities both in Ireland and abroad to see how things can and should be done.

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    And they're not claiming to provide professional help.

The assertion is that the welfare officer is on a par with the professional counselling services.
    An open ear and a cup of tea can work their own wonders!

A thoughtless comment can also destroyed a fragile person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The assertion is that the welfare officer is on a par with the professional counselling services.

I never knew that. How ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LiberalUtopia

Are the candidates going to dress up as giant sperms (paid for by a multinational condom company) and run around front square again this year? Now that's what a top-50 university really needs.

I never knew that. How ridiculous.

I agree. Some welfare officers in the day have had really high opinions of themselves.

Are the candidates going to interrupt the start of lectures which I paid for this year, making dubious speeches and announcing whatever pathetic delusions of grandeur takes their fancy at that particular time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I agree. Some welfare officers in the day have had really high opinions of themselves.

As do some people on the internets.

knockout-punch.jpg
    As do some people on the internets.

I'd like to thank my massive swinging cock.

I'd like to thank my massive swinging cock.

9023_101013876585210_100000297948082_26100_4226263_n.jpg

• Advertisement

On second thoughts you're just posting pictures from some bodies blog. Thats pretty fuked up mate.

Advertisement