Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again, again, again) it begins... [SU elections]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Nice impression of TCD boards we're giving here. TBH it's you guys that are making fools of yourselves, not the candidates.

Think of the children!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Nice impression of TCD boards we're giving here. TBH it's you guys that are making fools of yourselves, not the candidates.

The person running around handing out leaflets to disinterested students is the fool. The person wearing a bear suit is the fool. The person shovelling puke at the iron stomach competition is the fool.

Every hierarchy has the idiots at the bottom begging for crumbs. Its peculiarly tragic, but not bad enough for me to feel pity for them (They should know better). An all encompassing derision is more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Oh jaysus, you're on a campaign team, we can all see that.

But there is a long and happy history of boards posters ripping into candiates. And people say all of this stuff anyway, now its just more public.

Go have a look round the arts block one day at the end of campainging, you are bound to find at least one manifesto covered in corrections and thoughts about how **** a prospect the individual appears to be.

Donal there appear to be no websites accept for Harmon's...at least for Education, President and Communications.

Didn't look for ents or welfare ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Oh jaysus, you're on a campaign team, we can all see that.

I'm not actually, I've nothing to do with the SU in Trinity, closest I have to it is asking Mick one time if I could put posters for my band up around campus, or using the Trinity Orchestra room now and then. I'm not that interested in the campaign at all, I just think the unjustified ridicule of everything got to do with any TCD politics on here is a bit silly, especially slandering a candidate when he comes here offering to answer any questions anyone has.

• Advertisement

I'm not actually, I've nothing to do with the SU in Trinity, closest I have to it is asking Mick one time if I could put posters for my band up around campus, or using the Trinity Orchestra room now and then. I'm not that interested in the campaign at all, I just think the unjustified ridicule of everything got to do with any TCD politics on here is a bit silly, especially slandering a candidate when he comes here offering to answer any questions anyone has.

Alot of the people posting in this thread have taken part in SU politics at some stage. They may ridicule, but most of the time they have reason and some understanding of the situation. (Aside from the sexual references/your ma references/Boston references of any sort)

And you seem kinda interested TBH.

And you seem kinda interested TBH.

No more interested than any impartial observer really. It's fair enough for people involved to negatively discuss the candidates, but on here there's rarely any information to back it up, all it is is calling them all hacks or crooks for no reason.

Also, noticed today that Dave Preston is running for education. I assume he's a joke candidate, seeing as he was last year, but I haven't heard any of his jokes. Anyone seen anything about him yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I was just about to say "spot the hack" when i read this;

Well, if it's not the SU, which hierarchical organisation do you hack with?

:confused:

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Well, if it's not the SU, which hierarchical organisation do you hack with?

None really, but if you really want to give out to me about being a hack I could be accused of brown-nosing some of the promoters in Dublin to get gigs, but that's not quite being a hack.

I tried to be a hack with the hist for a while, but I was too lazy to go to Maiden's, so I gave up after about a week. I'm not a very good hack at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Ugh. A failed hack. There's nothing worse than a failed hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkwood

Hi everyone,

I am Declan Harmon. I will do my best to answer any questions that are raised about my policies on Boards, however if I am slow to reply to any specific queries I apologise in advance - the campaign schedule doesn't leave me with much time for reading posts never mind replying to them! If anyone has any specific queries feel free to email me on declan@declanharmon.com and I will do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Firstly, to clarify some confusion and speculation I did not work on any SU campaign last year or any other year.

The lobbyist is not intended to be a full time position run from within House 6. This isn't intended to be a sixth Sabbatical position - that's the last thing we need!

I will put the contract for the lobbying position out to tender. The tender will be for a period of two years with a review at the end of year one - that way if the company or individual we hire doesn't deliver we can get rid of them. I will put together a panel to review the tenders and to award the contract. I will chair this panel and the other names will be ratified by SU council (which - to answer another question - I attended on Tuesday, 26th Jan).

This panel will also draw up a list of deliverables that will form the work plan and priorities for the lobbyist. This plan will be ratified by SU exec. This plan will give us a clear way in which to measure progress after one year and it would then be up to my successor as president to make a choice as to whether to continue with the lobbyist idea.

Hey Declan, can I get a response to this?
    Monkwood wrote: »
    from declanharmon.com:

"The library campaign got a lot of attention. But it has not produced any results. It is time to prioritise what we actually want to achieve and aggressively campaign for it.

I will:
    • Make increasing opening hours the priority of the union’s library campaign. And I mean real opening hours where you can actually take out books.

• Insist that college hires the replacement staff needed to open the library properly. The ban on public service recruitment is not an excuse, there is an exemption where you require staff for an essential activity and it should be used here."

No results?
    -24 hr study space
    -more Sunday openings
    -openings over Christmas
    -imminent implementation of automated book return, costs virtually nothing, compensates for less staff
    -ongoing negotiations in addition to above
    -all within a couple of months...

Increasing Opening Hours?
    I believe that this is in fact a priority of the existing campaign...

Insist on Hiring More Staff?
    Would the money not be better put to the book budget? Opening hours can be increased with automated self-service check outs like in UCD

Also, do you really think it's wise to enter the race for the top job when you have never been involved with the SU before? Do you not think you will end up wasting a lot of time in the first few months just getting to grips with all the various structures within the Union? After all, you are supposed to give a presentation at class rep training on exactly what the SU does, how it does it, and who does what. While I appreciate your spirit, maybe you should run for class rep or something first? I dunno if you're up for the job otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

None really, but if you really want to give out to me about being a hack I could be accused of brown-nosing some of the promoters in Dublin to get gigs, but that's not quite being a hack.

I tried to be a hack with the hist for a while, but I was too lazy to go to Maiden's, so I gave up after about a week. I'm not a very good hack at all.

It's not really about whether or not you are a good hack, or whether you hack yourself. More about whether or not you dissapprove of it. See, the lack of self-respect and complete subordination towards their authorites that hacks display coupled with the fact that their aim is to gain more power makes the easy, guilt free targets for derision.
    Denerick wrote: »
    Ugh. A failed hack. There's nothing worse than a failed hack.

Are you forgetting about active hacks (the original objects of derision in this thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

In all seriousness, I will most likely vote for whichever person has given me the least amount of leaflets during the campaign. Thats usually a good barometer for how suitable someone is for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

Gonna be checking the grammar in all the leaflets before making a decision.
    vvVVVV important.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Also, noticed today that Dave Preston is running for education. I assume he's a joke candidate, seeing as he was last year, but I haven't heard any of his jokes. Anyone seen anything about him yet?

The way I heard/misheard it is last year he only ran as a joke candidate because he somehow got signed up unexpectedly, and as someone who is actually interested in SU politics is giving it a proper shot this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

The JCR is a disgrace.

We need a proper common room for students.

Photo-10-SmokingRoom-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

devinejay wrote: »
    The way I heard/misheard it is last year he only ran as a joke candidate because he somehow got signed up unexpectedly, and as someone who is actually interested in SU politics is giving it a proper shot this year.

That's wrong. That's just very wrong.

Well I did say I could have misheard it (read; it could possibly be wrong)

Well I did say I could have misheard it (read; it could possibly be wrong)

You definitely did. I know Dave personally, and he was definitely intentionally a joke last year. Last I heard of him running this year was that he was going to get my mate who isn't in Trinity to run in opposition to him, and do to it in the style of wrestling trash-talk between rivals, or something. Nearly definitely a joke anyway.

You definitely did. I know Dave personally, and he was definitely intentionally a joke last year. Last I heard of him running this year was that he was going to get my mate who isn't in Trinity to run in opposition to him, and do to it in the style of wrestling trash-talk between rivals, or something. Nearly definitely a joke anyway.

Running as a joke candidate two years in a row seems like a bit much dunnit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hold on, we're a disgrace for ripping the piss out of the candidates and the student union, but its ok for your mate to make a total mockery out of the democratic process. Whatever horse you rode in on, I suggest you remount it and ride off again.

Running as a joke candidate two years in a row seems like a bit much dunnit?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Boston wrote: »
    Hold on, we're a disgrace for ripping the piss out of the candidates and the student union, but its ok for your mate to make a total mockery out of the democratic process. Whatever horse you rode in on, I suggest you remount it and ride off again.

This man speaks the truth.

Boston wrote: »

Kindly direct me to the sentence in which I condoned Dave's actions. I was merely pointing out that he was a joke candidate. I expressed no opinion on the matter. So no, I don't think it's OK to make a mockery out of the SU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I somehow managed to miss pretty much all the campaigning today (excluding anything I was involved in briefly this afternoon >_> <_<). The joys of only being in the Hamilton once today, and that was too early for anyone but the serious die-hards (all of about 2 people). Haven't been pestered to take a flier yet! \o/

So which candidates have "free condoms" on their manifestos?

Aren't there already free condoms from the SU?

Aren't there already free condoms from the SU?

You'd think they'd give out free rosary beads - far more effective than condoms.

And free bike lights. Think of the danger students expose themselves to cycling around the city.

Or maybe they're just trying to make a point...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You'd think they'd give out free rosary beads - far more effective than condoms.

And free bike lights. Think of the danger students expose themselves to cycling around the city.

Or maybe they're just trying to make a point...

Sure why not offer free genital removal?

Only way to ensure perpetual chastity!

Or at the very least castration!

Why cant people just stay banned.......>_<

• Advertisement

That's a great idea. You should run for SU president.

The question is, can you hack it?

Even I'm cringing.

Advertisement