Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again, again, again) it begins... [SU elections]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Monkwood wrote: »
    Hey Declan, can I get a response to this?

Also, do you really think it's wise to enter the race for the top job when you have never been involved with the SU before? Do you not think you will end up wasting a lot of time in the first few months just getting to grips with all the various structures within the Union? After all, you are supposed to give a presentation at class rep training on exactly what the SU does, how it does it, and who does what. While I appreciate your spirit, maybe you should run for class rep or something first? I dunno if you're up for the job otherwise...

HACK

On which campaign do you fritter your time away for?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Just had a proper look at Nikolai's manifesto;

"I choose not to choose Nikolai, I choose somethin' else and the reasons? There are no reasons."

Someone needs to read/watch trainspotting again before basing a political campaign around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hacks. You're all hacks. Anyone (but me) who has posted in this thread is a hack. Oh, the hackery.

Hacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I hate people using Trainspotting to advertise things, because they never get it right. I remember the Lisbon Treaty thing too, was so annoying. The point of it is saying choose life, because that's what everyone does, but not choosing life is better.
    shay_562 wrote: »
    and as for that corrupt sonofabitch Nikolai...no way in hell.

I'm still waiting for this to be justified by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Hacks. You're all hacks. Anyone (but me) who has posted in this thread is a hack. Oh, the hackery.

Hacks.

Why are you thanking this post? Are you brown-nosing so you'll have my vote in your hacky little elections in the future?

F*cking hacks. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Maybe its one of those things that just sounds so good it must be true.

Or maybe look at Shays posting history and his tendency to either take the total piss or to provide logical founded arguements and assume its one of the two.

And why? Becuase its going to sway your vote or because you think its juicy gossip?

Elections 2008. Go ask some people who were around about the ents race.

I see we're now having an conversation via edits. Ah, I didn't know him enough to know whether he was serious or not, or whether he knows his stuff. Partly to sway my vote, and partly for juicy gossip.

P.S. for the lulz:
    vinylmesh wrote: »
    Unfortunately the SU is over-run by hacks (who will do their job for the sake of a cv).
    That is why I will be spoiling my vote. Ok, so I won't be changing anything, but at least I'll be a nuisance to the hacks who have volunteered to count the votes (seriously, why the hell would you take up such a job unless you were trying to gain clout within the SU?)
    Denerick wrote: »
    Oh come on. The SU should act on behalf of students interests but like most unions they are run by an elite of self important dullards with no idea of how vain and irrelevant they are to the universe at large.
    Or just that I know some of these people, and that they're massive lick-arses with little personality.
    I'm not saying they're all hacks (indeed I know people in the su who are not hacks), just that an awful lot of them are, because well, from day1 of first year they are attracted to it like moths to a lightbulb.
    It's not like I'm looking for a ban on hacks. I recognise their right to be hacks, but i also believe i have the right to say whatever i want about them.
    The hacks would be annoyed about that, I'd imagine.
    Fedule wrote: »
    The SU is full of hacks.
    Boston wrote: »
    I recall one welfare officer regaling fellow hacks with stories of student woes. That sealed the deal for me.
    Some suggestion that a former hack with political ambitions sees this role as a springboard to national platforms.
    My problem with the SU is that it seems to be comprised solely of insufferable twatwaffles.
    One less hack we'd have to worry about.
    Well, if it's not the SU, which hierarchical organisation do you hack with?
    Ugh. A failed hack. There's nothing worse than a failed hack.
    ISee, the lack of self-respect and complete subordination towards their authorites that hacks display coupled with the fact that their aim is to gain more power makes the easy, guilt free targets for derision.
    HACK

Hacks hacks everywhere, but not a hack to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I see we're now having an conversation via edits. Ah, I didn't know him enough to know whether he was serious or not, or whether he knows his stuff. Partly to sway my vote, and partly for juicy gossip.

I suppose you'll have to wait for him to come on then.

He may just be making a value judgement based on Nikolis name. Shameful racism that.

Especially considering Saint Nick was such a champ, no need for racism there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I keep on checking this thread, waiting for the bloodbath to begin, but nothing seems to be happening. Its all very unentertaining.

Oh, and in the end of Trainspotting
    he did choose life.

• Advertisement

I keep on checking this thread, waiting for the bloodbath to begin, but nothing seems to be happening. Its all very unentertaining.

Oh, and in the end of Trainspotting
    he did choose life.

I think it was meant to be a cliff hanger, you decide if he did or not, and the movie leaned awfully far to the more positive side. You can choose to interpret any way you like, but I think Rent didn't just run off into the sunset and marry a nice girl. He said it himself "I'm a bad person".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Anyone have making academic dress compulsory on their manifesto?

2profs-front.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

In no particular order

President

pres2.png

pres1.png

fergal.png

Education

fox.png

Ents

ents.png

o_tool.png

Communications

furries.png

Welfare

steph.png

welfare.png

Previous

Err... I don't think the Provost had this in mind when promoting the "Trinity Experience"...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

I am voting Cathal Horan

Updated. If there's any I missed let me know. Btw, I'm on Dave Preston's Campaign team. I hope I didn't break any rules by publicly attacking the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I'm pretty sure I laughed off the idea of justifying it already, but Hils already pretty much answered, so what the hell - basically, for a massive union hack who was on the EC a few times (even chaired it last year if memory serves) he showed blatant disregard for the rules of SU elections, working for a campaign one year and letting his mates and SU insiders away with murder the next. He may be a perfectly nice guy in person, but in his role in the SU he's been a corrupt, self-serving prick, so there's no way he's getting my vote for president. That said, it's not like I'm much more of a fan of the other two, so I may end up spoiling that one this year.
    Boston wrote:
    Updated. If there's any I missed let me know.

Keith something or other is also running for Ents. Facebook group.
    A_Neurotic wrote:
    Why are you thanking this post? Are you brown-nosing so you'll have my vote in your hacky little elections in the future?

F*cking hacks.

Best reverse psychological nomination hunting ever. A_Neurotic for SU President! All we need is several thousand write-in ballots!

Now now Shay, we both know I don't do facebook.

Updated. If there's any I missed let me know. Btw, I'm on Dave Preston's Campaign team. I hope I didn't break any rules by publicly attacking the opposition.

Do one for Dave, I'm sure he wouldn't like to be left out.

condom-head.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Fearghal Hughes has the head of a future Taoiseach on him, doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Now now Shay, we both know I don't do facebook.

I may or may not have a photo of the entity that is Boston on Facebook >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

In no particular order
    <pictures>

Good to see our postgrads hard at work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Declan Harmon

Monkwood wrote: »
    Hey Declan, can I get a response to this?

Also, do you really think it's wise to enter the race for the top job when you have never been involved with the SU before? Do you not think you will end up wasting a lot of time in the first few months just getting to grips with all the various structures within the Union? After all, you are supposed to give a presentation at class rep training on exactly what the SU does, how it does it, and who does what. While I appreciate your spirit, maybe you should run for class rep or something first? I dunno if you're up for the job otherwise...

I certainly am up for the job. I have a lot of experience in dealing with the management and governance of large organisations so I will have no difficulty getting to grips with the internal structures of the union. I am a Director of the Ballyfermot Family Resource Centre, a not for profit community centre that provides employment training and childcare facilities. That company has a budget of over €1 million. I am also the Treasurer of my local GAA club, which has a budget similar to that of the union.

I also have experience of advocacy and working effectively in committee situations - for example, I was a member of the National Forum on Europe where I sat alongside the senior politicians from all parties, union leaders, employers representatives and representatives of voluntary bodies. So, I am certainly not going to be daunted by the internal committee structure of the union or of college.

In addition, there is a lead in period between the election and the new President taking office in July where I would have an opportunity to prepare to make an immediate impact upon taking over.

I also think that sometimes it takes someone who is not ingrained in the structures of an organisation to come in in order to bring about change.

You sound like a bit of a lefty to me. Don't think there's any demand for a lefty on the College Board.

Pet wrote: »
    Fearghal Hughes has the head of a future Taoiseach on him, doesn't he?

Everything about Hughes screams Fianna Fail.
    condom-head.jpg

I don't need to do anything with this.
    Pet wrote: »
    Good to see our postgrads hard at work...

Tat tat.
    I certainly am up for the job. I have a lot of experience in dealing with the management and governance of large organisations so I will have no difficulty getting to grips with the internal structures of the union. I am a Director of the Ballyfermot Family Resource Centre, a not for profit community centre that provides employment training and childcare facilities. That company has a budget of over €1 million. I am also the Treasurer of my local GAA club, which has a budget similar to that of the union.

I also have experience of advocacy and working effectively in committee situations - for example, I was a member of the National Forum on Europe where I sat alongside the senior politicians from all parties, union leaders, employers representatives and representatives of voluntary bodies. So, I am certainly not going to be daunted by the internal committee structure of the union or of college.

In addition, there is a lead in period between the election and the new President taking office in July where I would have an opportunity to prepare to make an immediate impact upon taking over.

I also think that sometimes it takes someone who is not ingrained in the structures of an organisation to come in in order to bring about change.

The LoLs and the Rofls have been posted, there is no longer room for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

Everything about Hughes screams Fianna Fail.

Fearghal's just a lad from Drogheda (D4, yeah?) who likes his SU and hackery, Harmon is actually the chair/secretary of young FF in college. But you know, you're right. Hacks waste so much on their time of pointless stuff...

Listen Hack, the biggest D4 tossers are not people from Dublin 4, but rather country people trying to live up to the image. As for Harmon, I had no idea he was a fascist. I may rework that poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Listen Hack, the biggest D4 tossers are not people from Dublin 4, but rather country people trying to live up to the image. As for Harmon, I had no idea he was a fascist. I may rework that poster.

While your overall sentiment is accurate, had to smirk at that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Oh for Christ sake. Take your self congratulatory nonsense and stick it up your arse. YOU ARE ****ING DEADLY!

Advertisement