Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again, again, again) it begins... [SU elections]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Dónal wrote: »
    Oh my. I read the first part of the anti-USI thing as fine, going for the 'waste of money' approach, but then looking to use the money for something else?

The 'professional lobbyist' for only €20,000 a year also caught my eye, as well as the glaring €5,000 difference between what he says class rep training cost and will save and this.

Probably shouldn't have a picture of the Berkeley Library on the outside of the library section if he's looking to appeal to Hamilton Students too.

Just an idea but while his section on 'jobs' is grand, he kinda missed the biggest pot which is part-time jobs for students and working with the thousands of companies within Dublin City to seek out any opportunities and to send around details through the SU jobs@tcdsu.org e-mail address which, hilariously, I'm still on the members list. The list has dried up considerably over the past year due to obvious reasons but I think with some work they could expand the contacts TCDSU have with companies so that when they are hiring for anything in the next year for example they'd be able to go through TCDSU. Mightn't be the sexiest thing to sell but I always think people would like to know the SU was working on getting their members part-time jobs during college.

OK, I'll stop.

Anyone have any other websites of candidates?

The lobbyist thing is worrying. Raises questions of who this lobbyist is. Rumour went around last year (well informed rumours) of who this lobbyist was going to be. Some suggestion that a former hack with political ambitions sees this role as a springboard to national platforms. I am not sure the connection is there with Mr Harmon but coincidences and similarities are often more then they seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Jonathan wrote: »
    What were your empty promises Hils? :P

No more exams, reading week every week and free sweets in the library. Or something like that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

No more exams, reading week every week and free sweets in the library. Or something like that.:D

I seem to remember you having a solid "Set Jonathan on fire if he asks too many awkward questions" policy. I was in favour of it, however unrealistic implementation might be. (Health & Safety issues)
    The lobbyist thing is worrying. Raises questions of who this lobbyist is. Rumour went around last year (well informed rumours) of who this lobbyist was going to be. Some suggestion that a former hack with political ambitions sees this role as a springboard to national platforms. I am not sure the connection is there with Mr Harmon but coincidences and similarities are often more then they seem.

I'd be shocked if it were - as far as I know, Harmon is a big Gen Yes/Ireland for Europe head, so while it's entirely possible the 'lobbyist' is some old TCD hack, I doubt it's the same TCD hack that was behind last year's outsider presidential campaign.

I'm actually most won over by Harmon so far. Sure, some of his plans are idiotic (that 'small stuff...' section reeks of being thrown in on a whim; isn't re-opening the Buttery basically impossible since you can't close a bar, fire the staff and re-open it two years later with cheaper staff?), but I still like him better than the permahacks he's running against. Not that there's anything wrong with being an SU insider (it can give you quite a bit of useful insight), but Hughes' platform of "It's time we put up or shut up and fix this broken system!" doesn't seem that well-grounded in anything other than "I've been around forever, so vote for me!", and as for that corrupt sonofabitch Nikolai...no way in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

shay_562 wrote: »
    as for that corrupt sonofabitch Nikolai...no way in hell.

You're going to have to back-up a statement like that. I'm not disagreeing, I know nothing about him, but you really do have to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

You're going to have to back-up a statement like that. I'm not disagreeing, I know nothing about him, but you really do have to back it up.

He has a really thick goatee.Thats what got my vote anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkwood

A man of that size, he'd get things done simply because you'd be afraid to say no!

phlegms wrote: »
    He has a really thick goatse.Thats what got my vote anyway..

You sicko.

I really don't, but thanks anyway!

My favourite thing about this year's election campaign is that, for the first time since first year, I'm not on anyone's campaign team and can thus say and do what I like with absolute impugnity. To wit: I hear that this one time, Nikolai straight up killed a guy. Had him encased in concrete and chucked in the Liffey to hide the body.

This is gonna be a fun few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

My favourite thing about this year's election campaign is that, for the first time since first year, I'm not on anyone's campaign team and can thus say and do what I like with absolute impugnity. To wit: I hear that this one time, Nikolai straight up killed a guy. Had him encased in concrete and chucked in the Liffey to hide the body.

I heard the same thing, but that it started out as a Sex Fetish thing which went horrible wrong/right.

You sicko.

I c wut u did thar.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    I heard the same thing, but that it started out as a Sex Fetish thing which went horrible wrong/right.

Hmm...was Jen Fox involved in this by any chance? She has the same hair as that girl in Watchmen, which makes me think of her in a pleather catsuit, which makes me think 'dominatrix', so when you say 'SU sex scandal', it all just kinda falls into place...

By the way, how'd the manifesto hunt go today?

I heard Nikolai fights Bears in his spare time. Trufax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I have several. Despite standing there looking at several gormless helper monkeys I had to ask each grouping of retards for a manifesto. Harmon's cluetrain fuktards handed me a manifesto for cashman, so a special place in my heart is reserved for him.

I have several. Despite standing there looking at several gormless helper monkeys I had to ask each grouping of retards for a manifesto. Harmon's cluetrain fuktards handed me a manifesto for cashman, so a special place in my heart is reserved for him.

*facedesk*

Yeah, I'm unimpressed by this year's crop of manifesto flunkies. I had to ask most of them as well, and they seemed horribly intimidated and grateful to have someone not looking at them like scum. Worst of all (from a campaigns POV) none of them took advantage of my momentary interest to try and canvass me properly. If they're that cowed and defeated by early Monday afternoon, I can't wait to see what they're like by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Where is the abuse? I opened this thread expecting hack abuse and I'm being let down.

Getting very tired of all the **** showing up on my Facebook feed. Maybe it's because I'm in final year, but I really, really couldn't give a bollocks.

Actually, I never could, scratch that.

In other news, does anyone remember this? I still owe Christine a pint for the lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Stargal wrote:
    You seem to have some half-assed idea that regular posters in this forum spend half their day pressing Refresh and waiting for one of their 'internet friends' to respond to their oh-so-witty remark in some random thread. This isn't 1997 dude.
    Time is cyclic! I'm back in f***ing 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Pet wrote: »
    Getting very tired of all the **** showing up on my Facebook feed.
    Friends with the wrong sort of people, I'm afraid. I feel your pain.

Hils, if you support one more person for president via bookface, Im defriending you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

He has a really thick goatee.Thats what got my vote anyway..

Lame.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nope you don't. Ask Boston.
    I heard Nikolai fights Bears in his spare time. Trufax.

Ugh Chuck Norris style campaigning. Such ****.

Ain't the service you were used to at all. ;)
    Friends with the wrong sort of people, I'm afraid. I feel your pain.

Hils, if you support one more person for president via bookface, Im defriending you.

Its the only way to get into the groups and get to the websites.

Also its not that I'd vote for them. One of them is running an"Im the third Cathal campaign". Another is running an I'm big and scary angle. And has been campaining via facebook since October...all be it indirect. Don't know much about Harmonn. But that said, I have a lot of sympathy for them. Running in elections is ****.

Pet wrote: »
    Where is the abuse? I opened this thread expecting hack abuse and I'm being let down.

It's OK, it was just the first day. If we keep questioning/querying stuff the candidates/candidate campaign teams will come on and then hopefully there'll be fireworks.

Moar websites please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Declan Harmon

Hi everyone,

I am Declan Harmon. I will do my best to answer any questions that are raised about my policies on Boards, however if I am slow to reply to any specific queries I apologise in advance - the campaign schedule doesn't leave me with much time for reading posts never mind replying to them! If anyone has any specific queries feel free to email me on declan@declanharmon.com and I will do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Firstly, to clarify some confusion and speculation I did not work on any SU campaign last year or any other year.

The lobbyist is not intended to be a full time position run from within House 6. This isn't intended to be a sixth Sabbatical position - that's the last thing we need!

I will put the contract for the lobbying position out to tender. The tender will be for a period of two years with a review at the end of year one - that way if the company or individual we hire doesn't deliver we can get rid of them. I will put together a panel to review the tenders and to award the contract. I will chair this panel and the other names will be ratified by SU council (which - to answer another question - I attended on Tuesday, 26th Jan).

This panel will also draw up a list of deliverables that will form the work plan and priorities for the lobbyist. This plan will be ratified by SU exec. This plan will give us a clear way in which to measure progress after one year and it would then be up to my successor as president to make a choice as to whether to continue with the lobbyist idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Hi everyone,

I am Declan Harmon. I will do my best to answer any questions that are raised about my policies on Boards, however if I am slow to reply to any specific queries I apologise in advance - the campaign schedule doesn't leave me with much time for reading posts never mind replying to them! If anyone has any specific queries feel free to email me on declan@declanharmon.com and I will do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Firstly, to clarify some confusion and speculation I did not work on any SU campaign last year or any other year.

The lobbyist is not intended to be a full time position run from within House 6. This isn't intended to be a sixth Sabbatical position - that's the last thing we need!

I will put the contract for the lobbying position out to tender. The tender will be for a period of two years with a review at the end of year one - that way if the company or individual we hire doesn't deliver we can get rid of them. I will put together a panel to review the tenders and to award the contract. I will chair this panel and the other names will be ratified by SU council (which - to answer another question - I attended on Tuesday, 26th Jan).

This panel will also draw up a list of deliverables that will form the work plan and priorities for the lobbyist. This plan will be ratified by SU exec. This plan will give us a clear way in which to measure progress after one year and it would then be up to my successor as president to make a choice as to whether to continue with the lobbyist idea.

Is this your way of postponing the dole queue for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

Is this your way of postponing the dole queue for a year?

No, it's step one of his plan to be Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

I mean "Lion King" singing? WTF? Lecture theatres weren't designed to make happy little consumers feel fuzzy inside by singing Walt Disney songs.

God only know what other ideas he has. I blame the matriculation system.

And we're off!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Lol who's that idiot wearing a judo suit in Nikolai's manifesto thing? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

This week has been so ****ing pathetic. Why the hell do these people sell their souls in this grotesque popularity contest? The volunteers are worse; idiots begging for crumbs at the side of the table. Worst of all is the ludicrous happiness, emanating from their vacuous bodies. My God, this time of year is absurdly nauseating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hi everyone,

Here, do us all a favour and bow out now. One less hack we'd have to worry about.

Nice impression of TCD boards we're giving here. TBH it's you guys that are making fools of yourselves, not the candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

No, it's step one of his plan to be Taoiseach.

Being taoiseach sounds stressful tbh, too much responsibility and public scrutiny.

Now, to be a junior minister, that's the good life :D.

Advertisement