Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again, again, again) it begins... [SU elections]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cantankerous

Are the candidates going to dress up as giant sperms (paid for by a multinational condom company) and run around front square again this year? Now that's what a top-50 university really needs.

Nope, using SU noticeboards to promote the same club-nights (in such a fashion that any reasonable person would be forgiven for assuming they are being paid to do so) is where it's at.

I know this has always been happening, but this year they haven't even bothered to maintain the illusion that ents is about anything else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LiberalUtopia

Nope, using SU noticeboards to promote the same club-nights (in such a fashion that any reasonable person would be forgiven for assuming they are being paid to do so) is where it's at.

I know this has always been happening, but this year they haven't even bothered to maintain the illusion that ents is about anything else....

I've heard the XXI "off licence night" is great craic. The place for any aspiring Trinity socialite to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Boston wrote: »
    On second thoughts you're just posting pictures from some bodies blog. Thats pretty fuked up mate.

Hardly if you knew what I was on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Not being a muck savage, I haven't a notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Good Luck to all those running!! (Poster Run is in about an hour I think if they are using last years rules)

And be nice to your friends, its not unreasonable that they want to go to their lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Good Luck to all those running!! (Poster Run is in about an hour I think if they are using last years rules)

And be nice to your friends, its not unreasonable that they want to go to their lectures.

I *think* it was at 11pm, not entirely sure though.

Should be an interesting week or two in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I see the facebook pages have already started.

17954_289664739023_513224023_3324000_18074_n.jpg

Can you say 'Gearoid O Rouke designed this poster'?

And don't hundreds of arty student posers walk around with cameras at every night out in Dublin? Or you know at least 20 really annoying ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Fringe wrote: »
    I see the facebook pages have already started.

I'd say they were probably made ages ago, but kept private until 11pm! :p

An hour and eighteen minutes into the first SU-wannabe's campaigns pleading for my vote and I'm sick of it already.

Specifically the ents one.

• Advertisement

Hmm...Could mean an end to the great club nights Mick brought this year. ****ty indie bands instead on international DJs? Nah.

The ents events outside of muzik this year have been pish and seemed to have bombed.

Fresher's Ball was bombed by the fact it was €20 a ticket, but they let people in for €8 on the door if I remember.
    Rag Ball was bombed due to **** promo and overpriced tickets as well hence why they were giving them away on the night.
    If this Genockey chap means more of the same that we've got from the other chap, I'll pass tbh.

Have some many comments but no will to make any of them...

President election = ****, ****, ****

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I can see the ents comedy entry (Conor O' Toole) doing quite well. His manifesto is pretty on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

devinejay wrote: »
    I can see the ents comedy entry (Conor O' Toole) doing quite well. His manifesto is pretty on the money.

I saw he was running alright, what's his manifesto? Wouldn't like to see all Trinity nights turning into comedy nights, how is he for music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

He is basically running on the platform that he doesn't do BESS.

Which is fair enough as far as I'm concerned, cos there is not a hope of me ever actually going to an Ents event either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Have yet to hear anything good about an ents event. I doubt this will change regardless of who gets elected.

phlegms wrote: »
    Have yet to hear anything good about an ents event. I doubt this will change regardless of who gets elected.

I had a great time at Steve Aoki, one of the best gigs of the year, and that was organised by Musik. Most of the other ones, especially the Trinity only ones were awful, like the Freshers Ball/Traffic Light Ball/Halls Party in Club M, although that was more to do with the crowd than the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkwood

Does anyone know if Declan Harmon has ever been involved in the SU, or at least been to any SU Council Meetings?

Just wondering if it's wise to run when some of one's policies reflect ignorance to how the SU works, or what it's currently doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Monkwood wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Declan Harmon has ever been involved in the SU, or at least been to any SU Council Meetings?

Just wondering if it's wise to run when some of one's policies reflect ignorance to how the SU works, or what it's currently doing...

Microwaves. Health & Safety issues.
    Cinema Nights. Proven to not work on a big scale.

Not knowing how things work. Priceless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What about his point regarding class rep training?

• Advertisement

Jonathan wrote: »
    What about his point regarding class rep training?

I amn't sure about this year. But last year the event was sponsored by QUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

He is basically running on the platform that he doesn't do BESS.

Which is fair enough as far as I'm concerned, cos there is not a hope of me ever actually going to an Ents event either way.

......Not forgetting his promises of free events, a night bus service, an on campus tea house, nudist trip, pixies for trinity ball and pink floyd reunion!!!

More importantly however is his very satisfying dissing of MCD and previous ents officers.

The best point on his leaflet is where he gives the logos of the club-nights endorsed by ents and says;

"These club nights will run no matter who is elected" :pac:.

Although he may not be entirely serious i can see him getting a lot of votes (maybe even winning), if only because the other candidates look set to give us a repeat performance of the washout that was this year's ents.
    Microwaves. Health & Safety issues. loss of revenue for college catering services.

fyp :pac:.

Microwaves. Health & Safety issues.
    Cinema Nights. Proven to not work on a big scale.

Not knowing how things work. Priceless.

I think a lot of his stuff looks good. At least he has some decent fresh ideas, and looks like he knows how to implement them. Better than the usual 'library opening hours, I singlehandedly beat fees, vote for me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

can i just ask, does anyone know where the money comes from to print the brochures et al?

coyle wrote: »
    can i just ask, does anyone know where the money comes from to print the brochures et al?

The manifestoes? Candidates themselves.

I think a lot of his stuff looks good. At least he has some decent fresh ideas, and looks like he knows how to implement them. Better than the usual 'library opening hours, I singlehandedly beat fees, vote for me'.

Sorry Grimey. My point was that these are ideas that were floated, and then flopped miserably post election. Not in any sort of broken promise, more so that people got into the position and realised the ideas were unachievable.

Sorry Grimey. My point was that these are ideas that were floated, and then flopped miserably post election. Not in any sort of broken promise, more so that people got into the position and realised the ideas were unachievable.

Andy Byrne and getting rid of the student travel cards. Oh the promises...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkwood

from declanharmon.com:

"The library campaign got a lot of attention. But it has not produced any results. It is time to prioritise what we actually want to achieve and aggressively campaign for it.

I will:
    • Make increasing opening hours the priority of the union’s library campaign. And I mean real opening hours where you can actually take out books.

• Insist that college hires the replacement staff needed to open the library properly. The ban on public service recruitment is not an excuse, there is an exemption where you require staff for an essential activity and it should be used here."

No results?
    -24 hr study space
    -more Sunday openings
    -openings over Christmas
    -imminent implementation of automated book return, costs virtually nothing, compensates for less staff
    -ongoing negotiations in addition to above
    -all within a couple of months...

Increasing Opening Hours?
    I believe that this is in fact a priority of the existing campaign...

Insist on Hiring More Staff?
    Would the money not be better put to the book budget? Opening hours can be increased with automated self-service check outs like in UCD

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Andy Byrne and getting rid of the student travel cards. Oh the promises...
    What were your empty promises Hils? :P

• Advertisement

At the same time, I will hold a ballot where students can nominate societies and sports clubs to benefit from the money collected from the USI tax – so you get to decide where your money goes.

Oh my. I read the first part of the anti-USI thing as fine, going for the 'waste of money' approach, but then looking to use the money for something else?

The 'professional lobbyist' for only €20,000 a year also caught my eye, as well as the glaring €5,000 difference between what he says class rep training cost and will save and this.

Probably shouldn't have a picture of the Berkeley Library on the outside of the library section if he's looking to appeal to Hamilton Students too.

Just an idea but while his section on 'jobs' is grand, he kinda missed the biggest pot which is part-time jobs for students and working with the thousands of companies within Dublin City to seek out any opportunities and to send around details through the SU jobs@tcdsu.org e-mail address which, hilariously, I'm still on the members list. The list has dried up considerably over the past year due to obvious reasons but I think with some work they could expand the contacts TCDSU have with companies so that when they are hiring for anything in the next year for example they'd be able to go through TCDSU. Mightn't be the sexiest thing to sell but I always think people would like to know the SU was working on getting their members part-time jobs during college.

OK, I'll stop.

Anyone have any other websites of candidates?

Advertisement