Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

redsunset wrote: »
    THERE'S A STORM COMING!!!!!!!!
    Lets hope it lashes rain here and snows a blizzard where its needed (not south Dublin or north Wicklow please).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Supercell wrote: »
    Lets hope it lashes rain here and snows a blizzard where its needed (not south Dublin or north Wicklow please).

Its needed in Lusk, maybe I'll have a freak blizzard from this tomorrow, with rain everywhere else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The weather system for tomorrow reminds me of a similar situation to early January 1991. Rain was initially suppose to start as sleet or snow and then turn to rain, it just fell as heavy snow with around a half foot of it and schools having to close early.
    You never know for tomorrow. Heavy rain inland will drag down temperatures and with cold air it might be difficult for the Atlantic air to win the battle.

Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

What is coming will bring alot of water in many forms,rain sleet and snow.

You can't even run to the hills away from the floods because there will be a blizzard up there.

2 inches to fall is alot of water over frozen ground,so there'll be little streams where there was none before very quickly.

Could be whiteout conditions in midlands and north,(most likely on the highest hills but not confined as the leading edge will probably cause sleet/snow to lower levels for a time.

So all in all a mixed bag to be expected,a horrible day throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

:(

It's no fun anymore. Now that we are without water and heat and it's been raining here all day :rolleyes: Bring back the snow. at least we could have some fun and take our minds of the more serious impact of this kind of weather

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It looks a right beast out there in the Atlantic alright. Why oh why don't we ever get something of that nature coming in from the arctic as part of a northerly incursion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think this year was getting close to breaking point to be honest.
    I'm moving back to the city after the spring, for various reasons so today will be my last snow day unless we get more of this this winter and if thats forecast I think I better stay at my folks house in Sandycove in Dublin rather than risk the bosses ire!

So will the weather station at Annamoe be staying or moving to warmer climes with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OK: hibernation sounds very, very inviting... I have food in now, knitting, books....candles..coal..

Let come what may....

And yes, safe up here from floods

So it will in truth be a good day.

Stay safe and warm

Just finished these....

glovesone.jpg
    What is coming will bring alot of water in many forms,rain sleet and snow.

You can't even run to the hills away from the floods because there will be a blizzard up there.

2 inches to fall is alot of water over frozen ground,so there'll be little streams where there was none before very quickly.

Could be whiteout conditions in midlands and north,(most likely on the highest hills but not confined as the leading edge will probably cause sleet/snow to lower levels for a time.

So all in all a mixed bag to be expected,a horrible day throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK: hibernation sounds very, very inviting... I have food in now, knitting, books....candles..coal..

Let come what may....

And yes, safe up here from floods

So it will in truth be a good day.

Stay safe and warm

Just finished these....

glovesone.jpg

Ihate to tell you Graces , but those jumpers only have one arm! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep issued a Flood warning to ppl in Carlow, this is going to get very wet and we still have a lot of Snow in areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Villain wrote: »
    Yep issued a Flood warning to ppl in Carlow, this is going to get very wet and we still have a lot of Snow in areas.

Well Villain, good job on the radio on Sunday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's a really tough one for the Irish Met tomorrow.

They just simply due to other pressure even consider forecasting heavy snow.

But UKM does issue the possibility for rather large falls of snow in the Midlands/ Wicklow/ South Dublin.

I'd say its even tough for them to mention the possibility.

But there is a small possibility of a big fall of snow tomorrow. And nobody will expect it.

10011218_1112.gif

10011300_1112.gif

RTE News report on the expected weather tomorrow : http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0111/6news_av.html?2679992,null,230

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is the exact same image ( currently) that redsunset posted above but it SHOULD update dynamically or if you press F5 to refresh it.
    EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Could be whiteout conditions in midlands

When you say midlands do you reckon Meath will get snow?

knows meath isnt really midlands but ill take snow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

When you say midlands do you reckon Meath will get snow?

knows meath isnt really midlands but ill take snow

quite literally, it could be anywhere or nowhere. Its pointing at sligo to wicklow. draw a line from there to there. that MAY be the point of snowfall. anything northwards of the line would be likely to get snowfall also.

its a very VERY fine though. dont get your hopes up

Gerald Fleming, Head of Forecasting calls this a "very significant weather system"....

However forecaster Gerald Fleming said any flooding is unlikely to be on the same scale as seen in November.

"We have a very significant weather system rolling up towards us at the moment which will bring a lot of rain, we think, to the Cork-Kerry region, perhaps Waterford as well," Mr Fleming said.

"It will also possibly bring very strong winds.

"We are not exactly sure how close it will pass to our coasts yet… It will be a very rapidly moving and rapidly developing weather system in the next 24 hours."

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/more-weather-misery-on-the-way-441549.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

It's a really tough one for the Irish Met tomorrow.

They just simply due to other pressure even consider forecasting heavy snow.

But UKM does issue the possibility for rather large falls of snow in the Midlands/ Wicklow/ South Dublin.

I'd say its even tough for them to mention the possibility.

But there is a small possibility of a big fall of snow tomorrow. And nobody will expect it.

10011218_1112.gif

10011300_1112.gif

WTF - thats like 30cmsnow over dub ....

Well WC you have been spot on so far .. Do you think air temps will support this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I wonder how many of the recent visitors will be checking in tonight. Imagine them kicking themselves when 30 cm of snow pounces on them tomorrow. :) just thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

irish1967 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the recent visitors will be checking in tonight. Imagine them kicking themselves when 30 cm of snow pounces on them tomorrow. :) just thinking out loud.

Bold !!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WC has been so spot on for me seriously - That why I starting to worrynow if he even thinks like the above pics lol

:pac: I dont think itll happen but who knows...

On high ground and far enough north there is bound to be some snow in the mix though. Could be a lot of sleet in places. Messy.

If you watch the BBC forecast video though, from 4pm today, they are showing the precip as a mix of snow and rain for quite a lot of the country tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

:pac: I dont think itll happen but who knows...

On high ground and far enough north there is bound to be some snow in the mix though. Could be a lot of sleet in places. Messy.

If you watch the BBC forecast video though, from 4pm today, they are showing the precip as a mix of snow and rain for quite a lot of the country tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

they have some amount of snow showing for down south tomorrow? surely that won't happen with an atlantic front piling in with strong winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I reckon the midlands and North west may get some surprise heavy snow from this at least for some time. Any higher areas of the NW might have prolonged snow.

I agree Super. NW, higher ground in Mayo, Donegal, Sligo, North Galway, Roscommon and Leitrim, could very well get a pasting. The uppers are favourable for an extended period of snow in these areas. These will be complemented by the scheer intensity of the rainfall, the already cooled landmass, and relatively low (2c-2.5c) temps. As for everywhere else, I haven't got a clue.

Any snow that falls tomorrow will be heavy, wet snow that will settle due to the intensity of the precip. It very well may be a case tomorrow of rain turning to snow and then back to sleet/freezing drizzle/rain. Rain to snow would be a wonderful end to this cold spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

10011212_1112.gif

850mb temp somewhat supportive for snow over large parts of the country.

10011212_1112.gif

temperatures not much of a problem either inland.

10011212_1112.gif

By 3pm it more marginal (in an already marginal situation)however still good portion of midlands and north supportive of white flake10011215_1112.gif

s.10011218_1112.gif

10011215_1112.gif

Now this is all very well in theory,but it could very well happen for a while.

Floods however is the main problem we will have to deal with in the south.

Having some sandbags at the ready would be case i fear.

just where the hell is this water gonna go,
    it can't soak into the ground so it'll just run into any river or lake(or town) and then we could see burst banks again.

PREPARE yourselves folks for a soaking.

they have some amount of snow showing for down south tomorrow? surely that won't happen with an atlantic front piling in with strong winds.

Yeah I dont get that, the DP is forecast to be above 0c and air temp will be 4 or 5 in the south tomorrow morning, impossible for snow. Further north though, it could happen.

Either way, between the wind and rain and possible flooding and possible snow, its going to be another busy day in the weather forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

jenzz wrote: »
    WTF - thats like 30cmsnow over dub ....

Well WC you have been spot on so far .. Do you think air temps will support this ??

think its 30mm ( 3cm)

Must admit I am a snow addict. Watching and waiting for this low - http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 - to engulf the country is kind of like boarding your flight at the end of your holidays. You feel rotten to leave your new found home. You almost feel like you are a local. For just once you wish that your flight would be delayed so you will miss work for a day or two. :rolleyes:

Damn...that is the most fecked up analogy that I have come up with this week. Time to lay off those joints :p

kkontour wrote: »
    think its 30mm ( 3cm)

1mm of rain is roughly equal to 1cm of snow.

• Advertisement

1mm of rain is roughly equal to 1cm of snow.
    it is generally accepted that one mm of liquid equates to one cm of snow but depends on the type of snow too - powder, graupel, ice pellets and Irish snow (big wet blobs of misery).

Advertisement