Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Where can you find out the local temp and dew point?

Try here http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    I heard it was 37C at midnight (100F in old money). The lads I heard interviewed were in for a dip in the sea and drinking cold tinnies as it was too hot to sleep!

I was in Australia a couple of years ago and at midnight on New Years Eve I was in for a dip at 30C and had a couple of tinnies - was quite pleasant. :)

I remember talking to a guy from the Middle East over here and saying he must hate the cold and miss the heat. The opposite was the case, in the cold, you can get warm, wear more clothes, use heating etc, but in extreme heat, in those countries, it is impossible to escape it unless you have a superb air con system....and most ordinary people do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Power back! :) You guys are gonna flip when you see the pics, some real stunners!
    Will post a pic thread later in the weather photos forum, you honestly wont believe this is in Wicklow this morning! :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well, im just back from knock airport for the 3rd time in 5 days. No flights again. Makes me mad when at 7am they know thats theres no way flights will come and go and they dont do anything about it. Knock looks like an alps resort.

102427.jpg

102428.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Close to where i grew up near Cartagena it would be 35-38 degrees at night. It was on the coast so the humidity would be crazy and given that it was a lot poor than Australia air conditioning wasn't a luxury. At least in cold weather you can wrap up and keep warm. Nothing you can do in that heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Close to where i grew up near Cartagena it would be 35-38 degrees at night. It was on the coast so the humidity would be crazy and given that it was a lot poor than Australia air conditioning wasn't a luxury. At least in cold weather you can wrap up and keep warm. Nothing you can do in that heat.

And in most of the places in Australia, that get the extreme heat, it is a dy heat with very little humidity.

I can't imagine what 35 - 38 degrees at night with humidity would be like! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »
    And in most of the places in Australia, that get the extreme heat, it is a dy heat with very little humidity.

I can't imagine what 35 - 38 degrees at night with humidity would be like! :eek:

The sauna at Knockranny house will do the trick for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would be sweating buckets just standing still. At least with a dry heat you would not be needing a change of clothes each time you go outside.

It's like hell. You literally cannot sleep in it. I was back last year and i had air conditioning. That helped a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

snaps wrote: »
    well, im just back from knock airport for the 3rd time in 5 days. No flights again. Makes me mad when at 7am they know thats theres no way flights will come and go and they dont do anything about it. Knock looks like an alps resort.

102427.jpg

102428.jpg
    The roads around here are all slushy like that.

Have they made no efforts to clear the runway?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The roads around here are all slushy like that.

Have they made no efforts to clear the runway?

They are blaming FOG now for the cause of the closure today

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The sauna at Knockranny house will do the trick for you.

Just when I would be nodding off, I'd probably get attacked and ravished by sex-starved fundamentalist bikini clad american vampire virgins... tis not easy being an adonis, in a sauna, in a tourist town, in Mayo. ;)

snaps wrote: »
    They are blaming FOG now for the cause of the closure today

LMAO! :D:D:D

Is there any fog there today? Maybe there was leaves on the runway!

It's like hell. You literally cannot sleep in it. I was back last year and i had air conditioning. That helped a lot.

I know in the more humid parts of Australia, like Darwin, the locals don't much use the air con as it makes it worse for them when they are not in it.

I know in the more humid parts of Australia, like Darwin, the locals don't much use the air con as it makes it worse for them when they are not in it.

Yeah that's true. I'd always sweat more outside if i left an air conditioned room than i would if i left a non air conditioned one. I'd only use it sleep and put it on a timer for like an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Today is a funny one in Dublin, really doing nothing at all. Small bit of drizzle but otherwise just overcast and relatively mild, completely non-descript. Amazing that this time yesterday the snow/sleet was really getting going in South Dublin and other parts of Leinster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

i wonder when all this cloud clears could ni make a -5c hmmmmm that would be good currently 0.8c here max 1.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

blimey snaps.... cracking pics.
    When were they taken ?

When were they taken ?

Top of the hell fire club main road, Killikee veiwing point and cruagh wood towards the turn off for glencullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Kippure wrote: »
    Top of the hell fire club main road, Killikee veiwing point and cruagh wood towards the turn off for glencullen.

Was the now wet up there?

When were they taken ?

This morning!

Some pixs from the morning after the night before.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63980106#post63980106 , hope you like.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Pretty bad fog here in Cork city..Feels very cold too

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Well we have had in places 3in of snow, still snowing now, but think its on its last legs by the look of the rader.

hit a 5ft snow drift diden even see it, visabilty was down to about 2ft, cant tell what was road and was snow till you plough into it, still good fun.
    Just going to go out and take some pics of the drifts now will post up later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Amazing how mild it was today in North Leinster - even walking on snowfields on the high ground above Saggart the thaw was already well underway. In contrast just across the water in Wales and the vast majority of the UK, the cold(most inland areas were around 0C this afternoon) was still well entrenched with further snowfall for many. Last nights all models suggested that today should have been much colder in North Leinster with easterly winds still feeding off a cold UK continent yet it was springlike. Very strange:confused:

PS Tonights ECM shows 10 solid days of insipid mild muck from the Atlantic:( - pity this cold spell petered out in such a tame fashion but hopefully we'll get another good blast in February, though this time with more snow for more of the country;)

And snowing again....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Supercell wrote: »
    And snowing again....

Uh oh... is it heavy as yesterday ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Supercell wrote: »
    And snowing again....

You jamey fecker !

Had a look at the pics you posted ,

Truly amazing

• Advertisement

Was the now wet up there?

A bit wet, but lots of it. The trees into glencullen were the same as in super cells photos, bentover heavly laiden with snow.

Advertisement