Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

I think that the past 24 hours have now officially reported every known weather phenomenon except perhaps sandstorm. Who says the weather sucks in Ireland? :D

When the weather quits sucking it blows!
    After that it spits but it: never Sw....ws!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

Just a quick clip from Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZwupX6YFM

Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

still lashing down snow here in longford as i type

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

fog here in cork. and warm, well compared to what we've had.:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Tis lashing rain here in newbridge , I have had the 4 seasons in one day here today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    fog here in cork. and warm, well compared to what we've had.:p

Same. Sickened that I had no precip on sunday yet today we had 45mm of rain and no snow. Typical kerry. rain and no-snow capital of eire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Before I go off to bed, I'll mention this: I've now come across a new map for the NRA road weather stations. As well as actually working and giving the precise locations on google maps, it seems to be continuously updated unlike the table!

Also, it presents the dewpoint of the station so you don't have to work it out along with a more accurate wind direction reading.

For those who aren't served by a suitable weather station from e.g. IWN, this makes the NRA ones a decent alternative for some measurements at least.

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

Have fun!

BTW to show up all of the stations, you'll have to zoom in with a click in the region of interest wherever you are. Also, the Roads Authority stations in the 6 counties are accessible on this site! Should be useful for our northern viewers and those along the border. Unfortunately those ones actually don't have air temp recordings!:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Anyone awake in Offaly, whats going on with the weather down there, I just lost another router.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Perhaps the aliens have turned their attention to Offaly, having finished plundering east Clare.

How's this for a forecast ... today will start out with hurricane force winds and lashing rain, turning to ice pellets, wet snow, sleet and mixed rain and snow turning to sleet, ice pellets mixed with snow, risk of flooding, winds easing slightly to storm force, a passing tornado in some spots, blizzards followed by thunder-sleet, more ice pellets, rain, hail, snow, a few intervals of sunshine, thunder-snow, rain, heavy at times, more flooding, strong winds easing to gale force, floods easing to mudslides, loud noises and odd distant moaning from the general direction of the Midlands, fog, snow becoming heavy with freezing rain, the tornado now coming back from the west just to complicate things, all easing to hail, sleet and thunder-virga.

Outlook -- not quite so mild. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I seen sunny in there.

What ever it was seems to have passed. It was ****ing up the microwave links badly.

• Advertisement

Sferics in the lower atmosphere may have been responsible, there had been some lightning reports nearby, and radar was showing a fairly strong set of echoes over the region 0200-0330.

Posting a forecast update and signing off in the perhaps misguided belief that things are now settling down (briefly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Three inches fell here, 'heaviest' fall here so far this winter. It will melt fast though , I can hear the drip drip all around. Roads apparently not treated, and I mean the motorway, which is crazy.

Very mild air has moved into the marine areas off the south coast, it's between 9 and 10 C at the Marathon platform and the M5 buoy. This may affect coastal Wexford and Waterford by setting off some heavier showers in the southeast today. It will probably be mid-day Thursday before this sort of air mass makes any further northward progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

3rd time lucky ill get my flight to london from knock this morning. Knock seems to be reporting freezing fog at present and theres some showers now moving into mayo off the atlantic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

here we go again it didnt even bloody sleet here im sick to death of seeing people in down south seeing snow when we are much much colder than them the next time it says its going to snow i will just ignore it as this country is as warm as spain! shows how thick this fricken country is when it rains when the temp is below 2c and dp is -1c! note dp in eglinton is 1c maybe its 0.5c here then...... thats still very very thick! ughhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    here we go again it didnt even bloody sleet here im sick to death of seeing people in down south seeing snow when we are much much colder than them the next time it says its going to snow i will just ignore it as this country is as warm as spain! shows how thick this fricken country is when it rains when the temp is below 2c and dp is -1c!

The radar shows green over your part as i type? You'll have to move down here then matey for your snow fix. Im hoping to catch my flight to Essex this morning, fingers crossed!

snaps wrote: »
    The radar shows green over your part as i type? You'll have to move down here then matey for your snow fix. Im hoping to catch my flight to Essex this morning, fingers crossed!

yea and i bet ye when i moved down there it snowed like hell up here!:mad::mad: we were so bloody close! ughhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

we have sideways snow bout 70mm.
    snowing for 4 hours

we have sideways snow bout 70mm.
    snowing for 4 hours

lucky you im the only place in ni not to get snow!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

It froze overnight here in Cork, which was not expected. The roads were all wet from yesterdays storm. Traffic wise it is chaos in Cork due to ice. It has never been this bad, it is worse as nobody expected it.

• Advertisement

once this band goes idc until tuesday as that is when the cold cold air not 2c but 0c is coming back again!

If you're flying to London, take note that the snow in England has moved into the London area and is affecting both Heathrow and Gatwick, looks like 2-4 cms with freezing drizzle mixed in, heavier snow over the South Downs and higher parts of Surrey-Oxfordshire. It's generally moving slowly north although not leaving Wales or the southwest yet, so expanding coverage.

This is part of the process of warm advection now underway, this front is going to dissolve slowly next 24 hours I think, but it will be moving north while doing that.

This Friday warmup and rain is so locked into the major models that I think you can plan around the fast melt of remaining snow. Yesterday's system had uncertainty written all over it, this one is more like the heavy rain producer back in November complete with the strong south winds etc. I fear for some severe flooding in parts of Ireland as well as the UK come Friday night or Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wicklowgirl

Have not been able to get out in the car since New Years Eve, and from what fell all day yesterday/lastnight looks like I won't be getting out any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wow! I can see the Tarmac on my road for the first time since 18th December! It's a strange sight. Gonna take a few days to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its total snowmaggeddon outside here.
    Power gone - connecting using battery and phone
    Well over a foot of new snow fell, unreal scenes outside. Snow over welly height and dense wet heavy snow too. Trees down all over the place, its like something out of a movie set.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

no snow in trim,as usual
    this cold event has been very forgettable due to it's lack of snow in meath.

dont worry owenc our day will come.i admire youre unflagging will and want for snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Supercell wrote: »
    Well over a foot of new snow fell, unreal scenes outside. Snow over welly height and dense wet heavy snow too. Trees down all over the place, its like something out of a movie set.

Photo's?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Supercell wrote: »

agh youre cam is down,was looking forward to see youre loverly snow.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Photo's?!?!
    Don't worry...
    Supercell will when he gets power back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Photo's?!?!

Later , on gprs atm and that means photos impossible

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement