Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Trees down everywhere, esb are going to have onehell of a job getting the power back, thats if they can get here in the first place!
    Power cables are coated with snow to the thicness of a fist, its just mind blowing!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Can concur with Supercell re the thick wet snow type. Nowhere near as much as up in the mountains there, but its real slush stuff, going to be a real mess once it melts....on top of the rain sleet and snow that fell and didn't stick yesterday morning and afternoon...

Thankfully, no power or water problems here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mountain rescue guys were on radio this morning. They had go and rescue to ejits near Sally Gap last night 'going up to see if road was passble'!!!

They said around Sally Gap, there is 3 to 4 foot of snow with 8 foot drifts. :eek: If that all melts relatively quickly, flood risk will be big!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just heard about the earthquake in Haiti..

We have people missing there.

Have to stay by the phone.... back later...

Praying they are safe

Deeply thankful; we only have snow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If you're flying to London, take note that the snow in England has moved into the London area and is affecting both Heathrow and Gatwick, looks like 2-4 cms with freezing drizzle mixed in, heavier snow over the South Downs and higher parts of Surrey-Oxfordshire. It's generally moving slowly north although not leaving Wales or the southwest yet, so expanding coverage.

This is part of the process of warm advection now underway, this front is going to dissolve slowly next 24 hours I think, but it will be moving north while doing that.

This Friday warmup and rain is so locked into the major models that I think you can plan around the fast melt of remaining snow. Yesterday's system had uncertainty written all over it, this one is more like the heavy rain producer back in November complete with the strong south winds etc. I fear for some severe flooding in parts of Ireland as well as the UK come Friday night or Saturday.

is it going to stall over the south of the country like in November? thats all we need now. snow, floods and icy roads the last 3 days here. this morning i have never felt such lack of control of a vehicle - scary stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads Wed 13 Jan

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of Northern Ireland, North Wales and northwestern, southern and central England.

A band of snow will move slowly northeastwards through the day, gradually easing from the southwest. Further accumulations of 1-3cm are likely in many places, and perhaps locally up to 5cm.

Snow falling onto frozen surfaces may also lead to icy stretches on untreated roads and pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Not a bad winters day here... the snow, slush and surface water, which there was a lot off, has all but disappeared... fairly clam, very light breeze, high clouds with breaks in it - I can see blue sky... doesn't look like rain... still a bit chilly out there and the robin pecking away at the oatmeal, looks happy about it all.

Meanwhile, I believe there is 4 or 5 inches of lying snow on the Mayo-Roscommon border.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Graces7 wrote: »

Praying they are safe

I saw that too - puts things in perspective a bit doesn't it...fingers crossed for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sparkleby

We had no power from 9pm through to 10.30am this morning (West Wicklow, Blessington Lakes). There was drifts taller than the 4x4 over Bohernabreena this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Pangea wrote: »
    Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads Wed 13 Jan

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of Northern Ireland, North Wales and northwestern, southern and central England.

A band of snow will move slowly northeastwards through the day, gradually easing from the southwest. Further accumulations of 1-3cm are likely in many places, and perhaps locally up to 5cm.

Snow falling onto frozen surfaces may also lead to icy stretches on untreated roads and pavements.

sen that on sky, was wondering if that could slip over this way to the east a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

heavy rain and hail showers about to hit the south west and west. We can handle these. Just mere puppies compared to the beasterly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

snow ghost wrote: »
    Not a bad winters day here... the snow, slush and surface water, which there was a lot off, has all but disappeared... fairly clam, very light breeze, high clouds with breaks in it - I can see blue sky... doesn't look like rain... still a bit chilly out there and the robin pecking away at the oatmeal, looks happy about it all.

Meanwhile, I believe there is 4 or 5 inches of lying snow on the Mayo-Roscommon border.

Not sure about west Roscommon/East Mayo but it sounds about right because in South Roscommon we have about 4 inches still lying. Wet snow though so should thaw during the day. If it hadnt started as rain and the ground been so wet yesterday there would be closer to a foot here with all the snow that fell yesterday and last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Praying they are safe

Hope your people are okay graces... thinking of all in Haiti today.

Dry morning so far in galway and wind gone... first morning I'll be able to head out for a walk with the baby in ages.
    Im assuming that from the lack reports to the contrary here, that the road from Dublin to Galway is fine for travelling today? AA are reporting snow on M6 at Ballinasloe - if anyone has travelled it this am would they mind reporting??
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Hope your people are okay graces... thinking of all in Haiti today.

Dry morning so far in galway and wind gone... first morning I'll be able to head out for a walk with the baby in ages.
    Im assuming that from the lack reports to the contrary here, that the road from Dublin to Galway is fine for travelling today? AA are reporting snow on M6 at Ballinasloe - if anyone has travelled it this am would they mind reporting??
    Thanks all.

Tipsy I travelled it early this morning and cant speak for west of Athlone but from Athlone to just west of Kinegad only the left hand lane is drivable, approx 2-4inches of slush and snow in overtaking lane so traffic moving very slowly. If you could delay your journey by a few hours both lanes may be clear later. East of Kinegad the road is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

owenc wrote: »
    lucky you im the only place in ni not to get snow!:mad:

We're the same Owenc. I waited and waited in buncrana and not even sleet came! Such a disappointment :( Iwas soo sure it was gonney happen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

From a completely amateurish "finger in the air" point of view I think we are in for similar weather today in Dublin. If we get the obligatory drop in tempature this evening peak time traffic will be fun once more. It looks wetter today, even more so than yesterday when we had nothing until about 3 O'Clock. None of the snow last night appears to have accumulated into anything other than slush, most of which is completely gone on the busier roads.

It all appears to be particularly unpredicatable, and can change by the hour.

I do believe however that the nights when we reached minus 8 where I am in D16 will probably (more hopefully) not return!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Vudgie wrote: »
    From a completely amateurish "finger in the air" point of view I think we are in for similar weather today in Dublin. If we get the obligatory drop in tempature this evening peak time traffic will be fun once more. It looks wetter today, even more so than yesterday when we had nothing until about 3 O'Clock. None of the snow last night appears to have accumulated into anything other than slush, most of which is completely gone on the busier roads.

It all appears to be particularly unpredicatable, and can change by the hour.

I do believe however that the nights when we reached minus 8 where I am in D16 will probably (more hopefully) not return!

All 'wintery' weather gone for the foreseeable I'm afraid! No more sleet or snow (until later next week maybe).

I have to leave this thread now. I am having severe cold weather withdrawal symptoms! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Fog and slush now. 3 celcius outside.

what did jean have to say? anything exciting on the horizon?

have to say i think i need a break from this cold weather. tired of the road traffic crawling along - looks like a freeze again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Where can you find out the local temp and dew point?

what did jean have to say? anything exciting on the horizon?

have to say i think i need a break from this cold weather. tired of the road traffic crawling along - looks like a freeze again tonight.

She wasnt talking about the weather really ,just talking about her life and her outfits ;)
    She did say it would get a bit colder next week but no sign of snow in the 10 day forecast,
    Ray darcy said to her that they got it wrong about the 10 day forecast and the 10 cm of snow the last day that didnt happen in places,
    she said they were sure that when they looked at the 10 day forecast that there would be no let up in the weather ,but a transistion occurred , and that the 10cm did fall in places just not in dublin.

She wasnt talking about the weather really ,just talking about her life and her outfits ;)
    She did say it would get a bit colder next week but no sign of snow in the 10 day forecast,
    Ray darcy said to her that they got it wrong about the 10 day forecast and the 10 cm of snow the last day that didnt happen in places,
    she said they were sure that when they looked at the 10 day forecast that there would be no let up in the weather ,but a transistion occurred , and that the 10cm did fall in places just not in dublin.

well 10 days out is a long time in the current climate. snow isn't the problem, its the lethal ice/black ice on the roads together with pot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Freezing fog after materialising here on the north side of Cork cit in last half hour. Very strange as it was sunny when I got up this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Praying they are safe

I saw some raw footage on youtube, very distressing. Please God they are safe.

I read that last night Melbourne, Australia, had their hottest night in 100 years... 34-35celcius. Now for the night, that is hot. 100 trains were cancelled because of rail lines buckling and powerouts stopped the air conditioning.

Anyone who doesn't like the cold we've been havng imagine how uncomfortable that heat would be and the problems it would bring! :eek:

Give me the cold anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I read that last night Melbourne, Australia, had their hottest night in 100 years... 34-35celcius. Now for the night, that is hot. 100 trains were cancelled because of rail lines buckling and powerouts stopped the air conditioning.

Anyone who doesn't like the cold we've been havng imagine how uncomfortable that heat would be and the problems it would bring! :eek:

Give me the cold anyday.

Completely agree, was in Vancouver a few years ago when it was probably 25 or so outside one night. Couldn't sleep at all, I can't imagine what 34 would be like!

Cionád wrote: »
    Completely agree, was in Vancouver a few years ago when it was probably 25 or so outside one night. Couldn't sleep at all, I can't imagine what 34 would be like!

Clonad, I've been in similar temperatures at night to 34c (and in parts of melbourne it was probably much hotter) and it is the worst, especially if it has been 40 plus all day and the house is much hotter as it has warmed up all day and retains the heat. Not nice!

At least in cold weather you can warm up, in very hot weather it is hard to cool down other than live in air conditioning, which isn't that great as the minute you go out of it you suffer as you are not as aclimatised to the heat as someone without air con.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

2 inches of snow in Ballaghadereen, none in Sligo.
    even tubbercurry has a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Give me the cold anyday.

I heard it was 37C at midnight (100F in old money). The lads I heard interviewed were in for a dip in the sea and drinking cold tinnies as it was too hot to sleep!

I was in Australia a couple of years ago and at midnight on New Years Eve I was in for a dip at 30C and had a couple of tinnies - was quite pleasant. :)

Advertisement