Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Tom1991 wrote: »
    I know this may be innapropiate but im looking for a prediction wen this cold snap ****s off!is it still to early to call or is there an end in sight?

Get out. :eek:

Honestly, there's talk of the end of the month before it gets back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

diddlybit wrote: »
    We do! I'm just being greedy:) Would love to see a proper blizzard before I hit the sack...

We had blizzard conditions earlier, visibility down to 100 meters at one stage,what's you're view on tomorrow? Do you think it could possibly rain??? :eek:

Heavy snow again!!! :D

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

gar32 wrote: »
    Not in Ireland but the not so fun side of it.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/150858/Freeze-may-kill-60-000?

I swear I haven't read the article, but let me guess...

"Everybody's going to freeze to death... AND IT'S ALL GORDON BROWN'S FAULT!"

:)

It's absolutely pouring snow where I am (Laois). At a guess, I'd say we have at least 8cm already. Apologies if this has been asked already, but is there any end in sight to this sequence of showers? Not that I want it to end or anything... I just want to get to bed at some point, but I can't stop myself from looking out the window every five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

malman wrote: »
    Heah Pistol is it only those yellow bits on the clouds which contain percipitation or can snow fall from any part of those clouds?
    Read the key at the bottom of the map, it'll explain everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Starting again in Dublin 8. (At this stage I can tell when its going to snow when the Spire disappears :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

10cm of the white stuff in Blanch. Still a few flakes falling.
    100_0653_thumb.gif

Kitty is not pleased that I won't let him out. He's 17 and wouldn't last 30 mins in that temp!
    100_0655_thumb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I have been watching county Meath for a while now. Over the past hour cloud cover has been increasing across the county. The vast majority of it is now covered. Up until 2am cloud cover this end of the province was confined to Louth and the very north of Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Starting again in Dublin 8. (At this stage I can tell when its going to snow when the Spire disappears :D)

finally some use for it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

hailstones hopping off the windows in dun laoightaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

snow plow wrote: »
    Do you think it could possibly rain??? :eek:

Dont say rain!!! Hoping to get some more...but I am no expert sadly.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Here's a few pics from the day. Enjoy :)

08012010367-1.jpg
    09012010373-1.jpg
    09012010374.jpg
    09012010376.jpg
    09012010377.jpg
    09012010380.jpg
    09012010384.jpg
    09012010385.jpg
    10012010386.jpg
    10012010388.jpg
    Photo-0066.jpg
    Photo-0072.jpg
    Photo-0074.jpg
    Photo-0075.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

df1985 wrote: »
    anyone see the sky news weather graphic theyre using for tuesday over ireland??? good god! entire country covered by all accounts.

You may want to have a look here before getting to excited about that :

http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=50

Although in saying that ,

SKY dont forecast for Ireland and from what people have being saying they are usually wrong, Ireland just seems to get a passing glance on there reports.

BUT and its a big but ,

I first noticed the Sunday/Monday event on a SKY news weather report during the week, at that stage not much has been mentioned here and now it looks like it is going to happen.

Just looking at the SKY weather report there a few moments ago and they have us in for big falls over Monday/Tuesday/Thursday.

Going on what the resident experts on here are saying there does not seem to be a chance for Snow on low lying areas from Tuesday bar up north.

But you never know , The good aul Irish weather has a habit of turning around and kicking you in the ass when you least expect it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Are we still getting the big snow in dublin after today s snow, or did it arrive early ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looking at the radar over Wickla, I'm really looking forward to supercell's pics of the morning! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Vain wrote: »
    Anyone????
    Going by the latest GFS precip charts, showers could reach that area by about 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Kitty is not pleased that I won't let him out. He's 17 and wouldn't last 30 mins in that temp!
    100_0655_thumb.gif

Damn right! If I was that old (17 x 5 = 85) no way I'd be going out in the snow! He's adorable though :)

Dispite the cloud cover here percipitation is very light. Only a few flakes are falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cold as fcuk in Waterford, no idea what temp but I reckon around -3 with a breeze, so wind chill too. I'm too comfortable in the house here to go out and see what the car (my only thermometer) says.

So, 10 cm average snow up around Dublin it would seem, but when the hell are we going to get our share? As others have said before, it seems as if some Darth Vader crowd have put up a snow shield over Waterford because we've only seen about 1 cm on Wednesday evening, and then just the odd flurry since, none of which stuck.

Someone said something about snow coming this way from about 04.00. Either the Jameson or my energy levels will run out about then, so it would be nice if I saw the first flakes of a snow event falling and settling on the Déise soil before I go to bed. :D

Let's keep our hopes up anyway. If anyone sees anything on the radar, can they please let this poor neglected part of the country know? Met Éireann's radar doesn't seem to show a whole lot for us here over the next few hours.

Enjoy the excitement anyway... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Nite all ,

Its coming down nicely here again .

The Curragh is going to be epic tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

very fine sleety/snow falling.looks amazing blowing in breeze, which feels to be getting colder,brrrrrrrrrrrr,bring it on

• Advertisement

Mother of the devine jesus:eek: It is 3.20. I cannot believe i have stayed up until now. this is addictive. oiche mhaith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mulhuddart, D15.
    Bits and bobs of the white stuff at the moment, nothing spectacular. Nice amount of clouds up above.

Would have been orgasmic 10 days ago, but we're spoiled at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some phenomenal snow in Dublin 2 about half an hour ago. Lasted 10 minutes but gave another cm. Not very nice to walk in I can tell you...

In the meantime, Met Eireann seem to think it was raining in Dublin airport at 3am. Hmmm:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Poobags, startin to thaw here on the east coast, bloody sea breeze :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Snowing here in Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

started up again in leixlip.need my bed,looking forward to what tomorrow may bring, night folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

Okay, Am calling it a night.

There’s been no snow here for quite a while, however I cant see the Pigeon house chimneys for the first time today due to cloud.

Night all.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Starting to thaw in Dublin 15... I want my foot of snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭bassy

wooooooooooooooo whooooooooooooooooooo proper snow now finally falling in north kilkenny :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

Some more pictures.....went for a quiet one. Some of you may know where this is....great pub :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement