Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Good morning everyone :)

Light snow at the moment in West Limerick.

It remained cold and foggy overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Night folks, im off to bed:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

homolumo wrote: »
    yeah there is a nice covering alright but we want more much more

Yeah lots more to come for us I hope

Wonder if WolfeIREL seen more potential falls from the last cloud over the area. Looked good on Met Eireann weather RADAR but hasn't really amounted to much more than a few rogue flakes falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

We built these last night :)

http://twitpic.com/xfrjc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Looks to be turning increasingly marginal as we progress through to tomorrow and then tuesday is battleground.

It sure doesn't look like being snow but the whole thing is so complex,anything can happen.

Here's the lovely Lisa and her thoughts.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-Weather-Forecast-In-Video/Video/200806315009830?lid=VIDEO_15009830_UKWeatherForecastInVideo&lpos=searchresults

Ok wiped the sleep from my eyes and checked the radar again and I don't see where the snow is coming from. Is the main event snow coming from the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Up here?

I was out on Dec 18th; had a car boot sale booked for the 20th but that day the snow came.....

Since then almost consistent hard frost and water off...

As they say in the US... go figure..
    diddlybit wrote: »
    How long have we been officilally frozen solid?

Found these online though...

Some of the links are broken here but it appaers '82 only lasted a week until it thawed.

http://thethirstygargoyle.blogspot.com/2008/01/big-snow-of-82.html

This has an awesome photo taken in '82, oh to see that again :-)
    http://garaiste.yuku.com/topic/3808/t/D464-in-the-snow-of-82.html

Ok checked again and the snow will come from our south east. A nice big blob will be over us soon. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mickger wrote: »
    Ok wiped the sleep from my eyes and checked the radar again and I don't see where the snow is coming from. Is the main event snow coming from the uk?

the batch of snow we got this morning came from the Irish Sea after it has passed over the east. the next lot (i hope) is just to the SE but according to the radar images (since about 6) it seems to have stalled. that could be down to the Shannon radar (as someone posted earlier) or the Waterford snowshield getting back into operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Another inch of snow fell last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

ust up had a quick look at temps and its a kind of horror show.
    up to 3.9C an hour ago and there has been a bit of a thaw.
    just had some hail and its managed to drop the temp to 3.4C. Dp is -0.8C

Looking at the bouys
    M5 is 4.6/-0.6
    M2 5.0/+0.8

M2 tells the story for my current condiitons and the figures at M5 while better spells marginal for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im the same as well, that blob to the south of waterford is not doing anything, if it does anything it will go west. Essex and Kent were put on a severe weather warning, but nothing there. Perhaps its one of our famous "Non events"

There does seem to be something brewing east of east Anglia in the North sea. But the speed thats travelling, its a very long way off and by the time it gets here there'll be nothing left (Same as we take all of Englands rain when it comes off the Atlantic)

snaps wrote: »
    Im the same as well, that blob to the south of waterford is not doing anything, if it does anything it will go west. Essex and Kent were put on a severe weather warning, but nothing there. Perhaps its one of out famous "Non events"

Hope not but get a feeling it will be a non event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Morning all,I'm just going to wait andsee what happens today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Definite thaw on here, need more snow here to replenish stuff.

Not alot of precip from that front has appeared yet.,

10 January 2010 05:18

Today

Very cold and icy again today. Widespread snow showers mainly in Leinster and Munster, prolonged in places and leading to hazardous conditions with some drifting due to the strengthening northeast to east winds. The snow may well turn to sleety rain at times along the east and south coast. Snow showers will extend into Connacht later in the day. Highest temperatures minus 1 to plus 3 degrees and feeling bitterly cold
    Tonight

Very cold tonight. Rather cloudy with further showery snow at times overnight but some drier clearer weather developing mainly in southern areas. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -5 degrees and easterly winds will fall off light. Icy conditions in many areas.

Tomorrow

Very cold again tomorrow. Rather cloudy with showery snow in places at first but drier clearer weather in the south with some sunny spells will extend slowly northwards during the afternoon and evening. Top temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees

Outlook

Staying cold but the night-time temperatures won't be as extreme as recent nights and much of Munster will see temperatures returning closer to normal during the week however staying very cold for most other areas. MONDAY NIGHT: Becoming mostly dry on Monday night as the last of the sleet and snow showers in northern areas die away. Cold with frost and icy stretches and overnight lows of 0 to -4 degrees. Tuesday: Becoming very windy on Tuesday with gale force southeast to east winds developing. A band of precipitation will spread northeastwards during the day and Tuesday night but probably not reaching far northern regions. Some heavy falls of sleet and snow are expected. However it will turn to rain in Munster as temperatures rise to between 3 and 7 degrees there, but further north temperatures only around 1 to 3 degrees but still the snow could well turn to sleet in some places. Winds easing and rain, sleet and snow gradually dying out during Wednesday with drier weather developing for Thursday Not so cold in Munster and parts of west Connaught especially on Wednesday with top temperatures of 4 to 8 degrees but temperatures much lower further north and east. Cold and frosty on Wednesday night and Thursday night with temperatures possibly falling to -5 or -6 degrees on Thursday night especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Hope not but get a feeling it will be a non event.

Already, the snow showers that arrived in Waterford overnight were assoicated with this event. As posted previously, a series of troughs would progress Westwards, prior to the arrival of the main area of precipitation.

Also picked up further accumulations snow again last night, so a very decent thick covering.

Marginality and positive temperatures are showing up at Eastern coastal locations but otherwise temperatures seem to be ok for the moment.

I'm glad you finally got to see snowfall in Waterford.

SA :)

NRA 0700 data showing typically -4deg C, so not too bad so far.

God love him!

My two are mere striplings at around 5; long haired too... And the female now uses a litter tray rather than go outside often. Both do insist on outside time.. Then come in and hog my hot water bottles. I grudge them not..
    diddlybit wrote: »
    Damn right! If I was that old (17 x 5 = 85) no way I'd be going out in the snow! He's adorable though :)

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    God love him!

My two are mere striplings at around 5; long haired too... And the female now uses a litter tray rather than go outside often. Both do insist on outside time.. Then come in and hog my hot water bottles. I grudge them not..

Ive two cats as well, and its the 1st time for years they have started to use a litter tray. They are mad to get out, but once they are out they are scratching the window again to come straight in! Can you blame them?

Hiya Grace,

Hope all is well with you up there in the Northwest.

I know; my girl actually used the bed I keep in here for them.... If I can turf them off mine... The cold had my sense of smell distorted so i t was a wee while before I realised.

These two are indoor/outdoor ones and the boy still goes out. But no less so ; used to chill the blood opening the window to let them out..
    And in again!!
    snaps wrote: »
    Ive two cats as well, and its the 1st time for years they have started to use a litter tray. They are mad to get out, but once they are out they are scratching the window again to come straight in! Can you blame them?

any sign of this easterly wind that was suppossed to pick up. As the same of yesterday, its as calm as a cucumber today. Not a breath of wind. Frozen cobwebs all over the garden and door/window frames!

Graces7 wrote: »
    I know; my girl actually used the bed I keep in here for them.... If I can turf them off mine... The cold had my sense of smell distorted so i t was a wee while before I realised.

These two are indoor/outdoor ones and the boy still goes out. But no less so ; used to chill the blood opening the window to let them out..
    And in again!!

Mine (Mother and daughter) hog the fireplace and they lay on their backs with the legs spread eagled to roast their tummys! The youngest 2 nights ago, spent the whole night under the duvet with me, thats never happened!

Anyhow, very still and -5.8c here, temp on the rise from -6.3c about 45mins ago when i made my 1st cuppa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

still not had a single flake here

Good morning...

As well as it will be in this weather; still no water.. and the issue of.... bodily wastes... continues to be.... interesting.. thankful there is a field attached to the house which is completely hidden from view.;)

Fridge and dehumidifier still out of action...

Melting snow for the dogs' water.. And I am sure the birds eat snow also.

And I keep busy.....

sunflowerset.jpgThis will go with other sets, to Canada, to sell to feed the homeless there.

Irish bainin with a little cabling..

Thankfully yesterday's white outs gave little snow, and also thankfully we seem to be less in the way of the snow today than other areas.

It is into the fourth week of being iced in up here.

But we survive...

Wind sounds to be getting up out there; had better rescue my frozen washing!:rolleyes:
    Tactical wrote: »
    Hiya Grace,

Hope all is well with you up there in the Northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

paddybar wrote: »
    still not had a single flake here

Here ya go:

snowflake1.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist!

Keep the faith - it will snow ;)

Oh please! I want one!!! Never seen those... are they good?
    hoody wrote: »
    Here ya go:

snowflake1.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist!

Keep the faith - it will snow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday uk:

A band of rain, sleet and snow will affect southwestern parts and Northern Ireland on Tuesday and Wednesday. Drier elsewhere but cloudy. Very windy at times, especially on Tuesday.

Nice one if the snow comes :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement