Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ooooh eagle. He's polar low nervous!!
    hopefully it comes in ,kinda confusing ,he said it can still snow heavy without it or something :confused: but if the low does come in it will be prolonged, does this mean we r expecting snow anyways?
    By the way , how much snow u have in dgal town overall?
    I have around 1/2 inches. All frozen now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Has nobody mentioned the Sunday Snow forecast on Sky.
    Check it on the red button but they have the whole country down for a complete whiteout.

Time to make "The End Is Nigh" sandwich boards.:D:D:D
    I never take any notice of the Sky long range forecast, 90% of the time it is wrong. it would be something else if it came off, but alas it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Has nobody mentioned the Sunday Snow forecast on Sky.
    Check it on the red button but they have the whole country down for a complete whiteout.

Time to make "The End Is Nigh" sandwich boards.:D:D:D

sunday on the red button looks epic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

theres a few showers forming on the irish sea, should we be watching these?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Here is where 18z GFS puts the lows precip tomorrow afternoon

later tonight a weak front will push across the country with perhaps
    a few flakes in places.

Rtavn244.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

He shouldn't of called it a polar low if he was reading here! Because it's not one! :D

He's a bit of a ramper sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Timistry wrote: »
    :D I just want some snow!! The north, east and west have had their share. Now its our turn for a change;)

??

Avalanche warning for peaks as freeze to worsen

- headline regarding kerry mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

:D I just want some snow!! The north, east and west have had their share. Now its our turn for a change;)
    I do hope you get some, the bit we had down here was like a starter, I'm still waiting for the main course.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ??

Avalanche warning for peaks as freeze to worsen

- headline regarding kerry mountains.

Woah :eek:

I think there was a similar warning out for Wicklow Mtns last Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 18z as comparison to its 12z, does itensify the low more AND push it slightly further east.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

a dithery forecast from the Eagle, very uncertain about how tomorrow will pan out. was very certain about no snow for the east:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

theres a few showers forming on the irish sea, should we be watching these?

just had a light snow shower here in dalkey, wind direction isn't favourable for further accumulations; I got the shower because my locations juts out into the sea :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

445279.ie wrote: »
    Jesus, how many times did he say "no snow in the east" :D

Embarrassing for him if those streamers result in some snowfall.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Big downgrade by the eagle!!

indeed. ah well i wasn't expecting anything to begin with. he was only mentioning the possibility to cover himself but it's clear he doesn't think it's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ATC at Dublin Airport warning pilots about how slippy some of the runways are.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    why...what did he say??

Any update on tomorrow's western system?

He said "the forecasters" say that the polar low will miss the west coast but he feels there is a real possibility that it could happen but the chances are it wont.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Missed that weather report ,herself is watching criminal minds !

Whats the story with it ?

I presume the no snow in the east is for tomorrow ?

Embarrassing for him if those streamers result in some snowfall.:D

I think they already have. A bit of blue on the radar over the bray area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GFS 18z as comparison to its 12z, does itensify the low more AND push it slightly further east.

not a huge upgrade though WC. The 850 hpa temps are pretty marginal as well
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100106/18/24/h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing Heavy now in South Donegal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    hopefully it comes in ,kinda confusing ,he said it can still snow heavy without it or something :confused: but if the low does come in it will be prolonged, does this mean we r expecting snow anyways?
    By the way , how much snow u have in dgal town overall?
    I have around 1/2 inches. All frozen now though.

I guess around 2 inches. Compacted now and frozen solid. Roads real bad. Got stuck on hill on way home. Sorry Audi. ..... Your cars suck in snow and ice !! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Clear and dry here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

The snow in places here in Castlenock is about 15cm deep but generally about 10 at th e moment but more heavy snow is due in Dublin in the next 24-36 hours. If one thinks the Kerry mountains are bad then there is over three times that I would say in Dublin/Wicklow where the weather is always colder and more extreme. They are currnelty skiing and snowboarding there and have been doing that since before the New Year.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Few pics of the snow in Carlow town today, after two hours of snowfall.

Poor enough quality, taken on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

typhooner wrote: »
    a dithery forecast from the Eagle, very uncertain about how tomorrow will pan out. was very certain about no snow for the east:D

yeah he was covering all angles said there was a risk then backtraced and said a possibility but unlikely in his eyes of any major falls of snow inland!

as for sky's long term forecast i normally would agree but both the bbc and the met office uk have also referred to it in their websites. met office have an early warning out so surprised to see the eagle make no reference to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

With the wind turning more northerly those Irish Sea showers may miss land and just continue south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I just made a fluffy snow man. Cant wait to see what the place looks like in daylight.

Hope KK is in for more over the weekend.

Hope so, i made a nice snowman earlier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

did he mention snow showers for the nw tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

irish1967 wrote: »
    I guess around 2 inches. Compacted now and frozen solid. Roads real bad. Got stuck on hill on way home. Sorry Audi. ..... Your cars suck in snow and ice !! :(
    Nah its the tyres. If we had all weather tyres like east european countries on our cars we'd be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Oh Pangea, Please tell me that coming up here towards me rather than away from me ..? :confused::D:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement