Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Darragh29 wrote: »
    We can't be prepared for every eventuality, so we should just accept where we are and try to help each other out a bit more and grin and get on with it instead of blaming the government, county councils, Dublin Bus, etc...

Agreed, all this crapping on about the nanny state looking after you. Why don't all these people have winter tyres, 4 wheel drive, studded tyres, snow chains, skidoos etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

ffarrell wrote: »
    The snow in places here in Castlenock is about 15cm deep but generally about 10 at th e moment but more heavy snow is due in Dublin in the next 24-36 hours. If one thinks the Kerry mountains are bad then there is over three times that I would say in Dublin/Wicklow where the weather is always colder and more extreme. They are currnelty skiing and snowboarding there and have been doing that since before the New Year.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats on the snow, about 8cm here :)

But there is no snow forecast for Dublin in the next 24-36 hours, forget about it.

And it's not always colder and more extreme in the Wicklow Mts. Generally it is, especially in easterlies, but definitely not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

typhooner wrote: »
    did he mention snow showers for the nw tonight?

he did for donegal but just the odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Interesting 9.30pm forecast, he seemed divided on whether or not to call the snowfall for the west. I guess the will it/won't it will become a now-cast around 6am. He should have warned people to tune into broadcasts in the morning to get an update.

Also, there are a few showers still on the Irish Sea that could make landfall. He missed those too despite his 8pm radar showing some heading for Wicklow. It was strange to see that. Perhaps these broadcasts are pre-recorded after 8pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

met office have an early warning out so surprised to see the eagle make no reference to it.

Its too far out for him to talk about in detail, plus theres no point causing hysteria as it might not come to much. But I think the graphics at the end showing widespread snow showers sunday/monday speaks for itself. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

made a small trip to the shops around 6 o clock. seemed ok, a little slippery but nothing too bad i thought. what took me 5 mins to get there, it took me around 30 to get home. i had to keep driving to avoid really steep inclines, the car simply couldnt deal with it!

fun navigating around rural carlow..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

interestingly the graphic for monday did show snow further to the west. so maybe there will be an upgrade by met eireann in the days to come that falls in line with what the bbc and sky are forecasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

knoximus wrote: »
    Snowman militia.
    derail.:D
    4252261070_845829c8e5.jpg

:pac:

Temp at -5.5c here in north Galway. Dp -7c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

These precip charts are experimental but they have been quite accurate during this cold period. I know some of the experts here think they are a load of pish but this one looks about right for tomorrow night's precip
    uksnowdepth.png
    prectypeuktopo.png

Its too far out for him to talk about in detail, plus theres no point causing hysteria as it might not come to much. But I think the graphics at the end showing widespread snow showers sunday/monday speaks for itself. :pac:

he could just say risk! anyway hes the expert and i am just getting grumpy after very minimal snow! it would be nice like 1987 to have a snow event on a sunday evening and a monday snow day off!

:rolleyes:

yeah i saw that graphic but i find those are usually misleading. :)

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    These precip charts are expirmental but they have been quite accurate during this cold period. I know some of the experts here think they are a load of pish but this one looks about right for tomorrow night's precip

I find they're good for finding out where it's NOT going to snow. The actual snowfall predictions are very generalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

:pac:

Temp at -5.5c here in north Galway. Dp -7c.

Thank god your back, thought my thermometer was going nuts here! Now -7.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Did Adrian Kennedy fail to make it into the studio, sounds like he is doing his show from the other end of a telephone.

Danno wrote: »
    Interesting 9.30pm forecast, he seemed divided on whether or not to call the snowfall for the west. I guess the will it/won't it will become a now-cast around 6am. He should have warned people to tune into broadcasts in the morning to get an update.

Also, there are a few showers still on the Irish Sea that could make landfall. He missed those too despite his 8pm radar showing some heading for Wicklow. It was strange to see that. Perhaps these broadcasts are pre-recorded after 8pm?

surely a pre recording would be better prepared than that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

In fairness to Bastardi he did call this long European cold/snow spell way back while when the models were still flipflopping on bringing it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

interesting development to the west of Denmark, starting to wrap around and heading west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I was amazed to see John mention the words polar low in his bulletin this evening. I thought I was dreaming, then he mentioned it again, so I thought: Where the hell did that one come from, how did we miss that?! :eek:

Looking at it closely, there are conflicting signals as to whether it will be a textbook Polar Low or just a low originating in polar regions. I feel it's the latter.

Going back 24hrs and seeing where the system originated:

At 00Z today, a lee low pressure system formed off the east coast of Greenland, under the divergent right exit region of a 300hPa southerly jet streak over the Faroes.

101270.gif

101271.gif

By 18Z this evening, this low was occluding and was centred right over the island of Jan Mayen. Its associated warm and cold front had crossed Iceland, and the triple point was located between Iceland and Norway. It is this triple point which is the focus of tomorrow's weather for us.

18_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

While some of the ingredients for a classic polar low are there, there aren't enough to give us the classic polar low. We don't have the sub -40°C 500hPa air (only about -33°C), the system is already cold core baroclynic (ie. has a warm and cold front) which is not where a polar low comes from. Polar Lows are very similar to tropical hurricanes in that they are warm core systems, feeding off latent heat release of deep convection. This system does not show any signs of deep convection on satellite animations, only the cirrus shield of the warm front.

The 12Z UKMO NAE does have this system as a tight 1011hPa low pressure system off the northwest coast by 9am tomorrow. The GFS has it not as deep but in roughly the same position. The NAE accordingly has higher precipitation rates (mostly rain) affecting the northwest Mayo coast by midday, leaving the Kerry coast by midnight. The surface windspeeds are at most 25 knots, less than the 27kts+ required for a polar low, but then that's splitting hairs.

10010709_0612.gif

10010712_0612.gif

So while it is an interesting developent, and is going to be exciting to track over the next 12 hours, I'll be interested to see what actually happens to this system. I can't see the conditions present for it to develop as much as the models predict, and reckon that by this time tomorrow we'll be looking back some falls of snow above 400-500ft in the west and south, with rain at low levels, but probably dissapointed that yet again we missed the elusive Polar Low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Have a listen to Dublin Airport ATC Tower here live...

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=dub

They seem to be having major issues parking aircraft right now...

Great link . the tower keep sending the Deicers out to the runways as the pilots are reporting slippy runways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    Thank god your back, thought my thermometer was going nuts here! Now -7.1c

Falling rapidly here now too snaps, -5.7c! 3mph breeze, while light, is cutting to the bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm tempted to just log off and see what happens... or go into reverse psychology mode-

it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's definitely not going to happen

please snowgods let it happen!!!:D

meanwhile it's down to -5.2c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature still dropping..

Temperature: -4.2 °C
    Dew Point: -5.0 °C

At this rate it'll be really really cold at 7/8am. :(

Why does it always get to it's coldest at that time anyway?
    Is it because the air doesn't get warmed up again until sunrise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Snowman10 wrote: »
    Nah its the tyres. If we had all weather tyres like east european countries on our cars we'd be fine!

"It's the man, not the machine." -- Chuck Yeager

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Looks like those irish sea showers will drift SSW and skirt around carnsore point

Web_radar.gif

i'm tempted to just log off and see what happens... or go into reverse psychology mode-

it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen

i actually prefer when they are negative the night before about an event. the more positive the bigger the let down and i still hope it may push further inland than anticipated.

it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen
    it's not going to happen

You need to get more westies in here willing it to happen! Look what happened in the east, which was a direct result of positive mental attitude (and a bit of hopecasting) here on the weather forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Anyone got an image for the sky weather predictions for this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Falling rapidly here now too snaps, -5.7c! 3mph breeze, while light, is cutting to the bone.

-7.9c now. Ive never seen this kind of drop ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

New record low temp for my station -8.7c and falling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

listening to FM104 on UPC box and it sounds like the skanks are taking full advantage of the weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement