Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Rougies wrote: »
    In fairness colder countries can handle it because they they get it all the time. We can't justify having the same resources as, say finland, for clearing snow/gritting etc when it snows so rarely here.

And if the goverment did spent money on extra gritters, provisions etc to deal with extreme weather/snow you'd have people up in arms complaining about money being wasted needlessly when we dont get severe winters I'd wager you!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think we need to get over ourselves a bit in Ireland these days. We don't get this weather very often and where did we get the notion that we can't stand still for a few days in this country??? It's starting to get a bit annoying listening to people who expect us to be prepared for every single eventuality in Ireland.

We can't be prepared for every eventuality, so we should just accept where we are and try to help each other out a bit more and grin and get on with it instead of blaming the government, county councils, Dublin Bus, etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And if the goverment did spent money on extra gritters, provisions etc to deal with extreme weather/snow you'd have people up in arms complaining about money being wasted needlessly when we dont get severe winters I'd wager you!! :p

Ryanair made a complaint about Winter related expenditure at Dublin airport in early November, if my memory serves me right :) Schadenfreude.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Has nobody mentioned the Sunday Snow forecast on Sky.
    Check it on the red button but they have the whole country down for a complete whiteout.

Time to make "The End Is Nigh" sandwich boards.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

And they'd be right. It would be a waste of money. Well, unless these winters DO become the norm in the coming years ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Load this run. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 See how the main low system has travelled all the way from Greenland. Mind you it is only a fraction of the beast it started out as.

Owen - you will see the sowers popping up at the end of that run. They are going to pepper most of the north coast including Antrim. Later in the night the activity will shift more to the NW though. You can blame your snow shield for that.

TIP FOR THE YR.NO - once loaded manually drag the timeline icon. It is very interesting to see the battle between the blocking scandanavian high and the low systems. That high is Europe's schoolyard bully at the moment.

you know i've never been fond of bullies but this time i have to make an exception:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

We have the gritters. we dont have the grit.

maybe we could grind up the electronic voting machines....would provide good traction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

-6.2C here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok here we go rte!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

The Eagle getting in early, the intro hadnt even finished when he said no snow in the east

• Advertisement

The Eagle has been reading here lads!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Everyone in the country is affected by the weather, some (like Graces7) worse that others. If and when the grit or rock salt runs out we will be driving on ice rinks. The Dept of environment, heritage and local government, which looks after our councils, along with the dept of transport have still not come to the aid of county councils who are short of funds to pay for fresh supplies of grit.

For example, 3500 tons arrived in cork today and another 3500 is due to arrive in limerick tomorrow. No more then until next tuesday!!! 7000 tonnes for the country until then?

Was laughable today to see a statement from the dept of environment saying: " The Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has[font=&quot] today brought in a temporary closure of the hunting season for waterfowldue to the continuing freezing conditions across the State. Dr Ciaran O*Keeffe, Director of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department said *These birds depend on lakes, ponds, reed beds and marshy ground to find food, shelter and refuge, but these are now frozen and have been since mid December...."[/font]

[font=&quot]This was followed up by the dept of transport: "[/font] [font=&quot]The Department would like to acknowledge the excellent work of all local authorities over recent weeks in mitigating the impact of the severe cold weather on the road network and in particular, the unremitting efforts of road workers to ensure, as far as possible, that national and other priority roads are salted/gritted in their area. [/font][font=&quot]The Department fully understands that the prolonged severe weather will have a significant impact on maintenance budgets and have separately requested information on costs and other details of gritting operations. The information supplied by local authorities will help us assess the overall situation.[/font][font=&quot]The ongoing efforts of all road authorities are appreciated.[/font][font=&quot]"[/font]

[font=&quot]:mad::mad::mad:[/font]
    [font=&quot]Grit supplies are running out and will run out. Then there will be a national emergency where nobody can travel. Last thing our economy needs.[/font]

[font=&quot]Rant over![/font]

County Cavan have had there last day of grit today thats it until further notice we were told. I new the were getting low beacuse when you see two Council workers standing on the back of a pick up with two shovels putting a bit here and a bit there you realise somebody is not doing there JOB, as i drive for a living and pay my taxes like everyone else i am putting my life on the line beacuse somebody forgot it was WINTER :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timistry

Big downgrade by the eagle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Sunday looking good, come the eagle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

joe316 wrote: »
    The Eagle getting in early, the intro hadnt even finished when he said no snow in the east

:(:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Has nobody mentioned the Sunday Snow forecast on Sky.
    Check it on the red button but they have the whole country down for a complete whiteout.

Time to make "The End Is Nigh" sandwich boards.:D:D:D

Yes, saw that .... the whole of the country covered apart from the very north of Connacht and the very north and west of Ulster. Nearly worth a thread of its own !!!

Ooooh eagle. He's polar low nervous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Took me (being kind of slow!!!) 20 minutes to realise that there was a new thread, i was refreshing the page of the old one wondering:confused: ''why is noone posting??''

:D:D:D
    Same sort of thing here, -3.2 atm

I just made a fluffy snow man. Cant wait to see what the place looks like in daylight.

Hope KK is in for more over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Jesus, how many times did he say "no snow in the east" :D

blast05 wrote: »
    Yes, saw that .... the whole of the country covered apart from the very north of Connacht and the very north and west of Ulster. Nearly worth a thread of its own !!!

What are the chances?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

:eek: Seriously getting cold down in Newbridge now

Temp -5.9c

DP -7.1

Going to beat my record of -6.1 (Since I am living here that is )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

joe316 wrote: »
    Sunday looking good, come the eagle!!
    Timistry wrote: »
    Big downgrade by the eagle!!

Love the IMBY posts :) I'm can be guilty too. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Did the eaglefall big gash in his forehead, looks nasty:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

irish1967 wrote: »
    The Eagle has been reading here lads!!

I think you are right! He Has!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    What are the chances?

Its too far out to get overly excited about it yet :p

I will admit to getting a little excited earlier on when I picked up on it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    I think you are right! He Has!
    why...what did he say??

Any update on tomorrow's western system?

Its too far out to get overly excited about it yet :p

I will admit to getting a little excited earlier on when I picked up on it :o

I'll say a prayer later. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

He shouldn't of called it a polar low if he was reading here! Because it's not one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

-6.5 with me in Sligo now.

Roads are lethal with packed snow and fresh snow from yesterday lying on top of it.

Not bad enough to call in a snow-day just yet. Heres hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timistry

Rougies wrote: »
    Love the IMBY posts :) I'm can be guilty too. :o

:D I just want some snow!! The north, east and west have had their share. Now its our turn for a change;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement