Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very impressive!!!

I did put a hat and scarf on mine afterwards, but i think yours is still better . . .

Hows the snow in Thomastown? I heard you got a couple of inches. Had one quick but heavy shower in Waterford but it left a nice covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well its hard to pinpoint where the actual precipn from the feature will be, we are just seeing the high level cloud formations. So im unsure, i am just comparing it to cloud cover forecasts from UK meso and i would reckon it is further east by maybe 50/100 miles but i could easily be wrong.

Hopefully the 18z will clear things up and we will get and 18z UK meso update.

it will probably spread east and miss the western half of the country. sunday looks already like a downgrade for the south compared to the earlier optimism!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

Those streamers look straight headed for West Dublin...
    I predict an inch of snowfall overnight in the Castleknock/Blanchardstown region!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Nice big flakes starting here in Letterkenny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

-3.5c here now! :eek: Snow gone too powdery to make a snowman! :rolleyes: however, it was perfect for my improvised sled and my 4 year old nephew, great fun!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So looks like Dublin's gonna be clear skies until the weekend then?
    That'll do me nicely- low temps at night and temps struggling to get above freezing by day, dazzling sunshine, blue skies and lying snow- what more could you ask for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Irish sea showing developing streamer activity. Any idea if this could hit land ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

francosp wrote: »
    Irish sea showing developing streamer activity. Any idea if this could hit land ?
    yes...the main line of showers is heading towards s wicklow and wexford but other activity is showing up along coast towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Have a listen to Dublin Airport ATC Tower here live...

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=dub

They seem to be having major issues parking aircraft right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ive never seem temps drop like this before. Now down to -6.1c here in SE Mayo. Wheres my mate Deep Eastly to give me readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

How would we cope if we actually had some snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

light snow in dalkey, unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Freezing hard over the snowfields after todays welcome top up of 3-4cm - current temp: -6C:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    How would we cope if we actually had some snow?

I reckon it would be the end of this country. Game over. Look what ONE snow shower did to Dublin :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Temp here in Old Kilcullen currently -7.8C (was -7.0C at 8:50P; stil trending downward fast).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Hows the snow in Thomastown? I heard you got a couple of inches. Had one quick but heavy shower in Waterford but it left a nice covering.

Had about 2 to 3 inches, most snow here in about 15 years!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Rougies wrote: »
    I reckon it would be the end of this country. Game over. Look what ONE snow shower did to Dublin :eek:

We really are screwed. They should be able to handle this a lot better than what they are. How come colder countries can land planes and all and we can't even run our buses?

-3.5c here now! :eek: Snow gone too powdery to make a snowman! :rolleyes: however, it was perfect for my improvised sled and my 4 year old nephew, great fun!!! :D

Same sort of thing here, -3.2 atm

Everyone in the country is affected by the weather, some (like Graces7) worse that others. If and when the grit or rock salt runs out we will be driving on ice rinks. The Dept of environment, heritage and local government, which looks after our councils, along with the dept of transport have still not come to the aid of county councils who are short of funds to pay for fresh supplies of grit.

For example, 3500 tons arrived in cork today and another 3500 is due to arrive in limerick tomorrow. No more then until next tuesday!!! 7000 tonnes for the country until then?

Was laughable today to see a statement from the dept of environment saying: " The Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has[FONT=&quot] today brought in a temporary closure of the hunting season for waterfowldue to the continuing freezing conditions across the State. Dr Ciaran O*Keeffe, Director of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department said *These birds depend on lakes, ponds, reed beds and marshy ground to find food, shelter and refuge, but these are now frozen and have been since mid December...."[/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    This was followed up by the dept of transport: "[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Department would like to acknowledge the excellent work of all local authorities over recent weeks in mitigating the impact of the severe cold weather on the road network and in particular, the unremitting efforts of road workers to ensure, as far as possible, that national and other priority roads are salted/gritted in their area. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Department fully understands that the prolonged severe weather will have a significant impact on maintenance budgets and have separately requested information on costs and other details of gritting operations. The information supplied by local authorities will help us assess the overall situation.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The ongoing efforts of all road authorities are appreciated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"

:mad::mad::mad:
    Grit supplies are running out and will run out. Then there will be a national emergency where nobody can travel. Last thing our economy needs.

Rant over!
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    well...polar low for parts of connaught :( playing safe again the buggers. west munster is in line to get prolonged precip (at least all the charts say so)

Weather Warning

Issued at 06 January 2010 - 19:37

Very frosty and icy conditions overnight with lying snow in eastern and southeastern counties and some pockets of freezing fog developing later in the night. Scattered sleet and snow showers will occur at times in coastal counties of the north and west with the danger of some more prolonged falls of snow in parts of Connaught for a time tomorrow.

"danger" what an odd word to use. well, i'm not expecting anything out of this as it seems the precipitation will be confined to the western seaboard. another near miss with potential prolonged heavy snow fall. what a great shame.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

We really are screwed. They should be able to handle this a lot better than what they are. How come colder countries can land planes and all and we can't even run our buses?

In fairness colder countries can handle it because they they get it all the time. We can't justify having the same resources as, say finland, for clearing snow/gritting etc when it snows so rarely here.
    But yeah, next big snowfall, we are screwed!

I think the really rare thing about todays snow was that it was so cold and all froze on impact. Usually it turns readily to slush on the roads, especially in the city. Last Feb. for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

here comes the hard freeze. five stations reporting -5 at 2100 hrs. two more reporting -4

its -3 in my location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Snowman militia.
    derail.:D
    4252261070_845829c8e5.jpg

I know this sounds ridiculous, but the snow that falls here is actually much harder to deal with than in colder countries. It is usually wetter snow ehich is much harder to clear than powdery ssnow, and because we get rain before the snow, it has a better base to settle on than in some countries.

Also, this is the most snow since 1982, it just wouldn't be viable to store that quantity of grit and salt without using it frequently.

I know it sounds strange, but we can't blame the government for erratic weather conditions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

First Post... Got to thank all you guys for the brilliant weather related entertainment. I have been hooked on this since NYE. WC was almost spot on with his forecast against the grain.
    ... In preparation for the Cold Snap I went up to M&S and got those auld fashioned long johns and they are working a treat. Does anybody know whether you are supposed to wear jocks with these? :confused:... Inside or Out?:rolleyes:

I know it sounds strange, but we can't blame the government for erratic weather conditions:D

nobody is...it's their response or lack of!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-9c in Belfast Aldergrove at 9pm :eek:

High level cloud will move in soon though so won't go any lower i would not think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Grit supplies are running out and will run out. Then there will be a national emergency where nobody can travel. Last thing our economy needs.

Just like when the flooding happened there will be a lot come to light after this thing is over about what could have been done.

I've heard talk in the media of using beach sand to grit the roads. We also have an army with big trucks and lots of manpower sitting around in barracks all over the country. Now putting two and two together....

This is Ireland though. Our authorities couldn't organise a bloody p!ss up in a brewery :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Im delighted with what we got, but I still want more. Selfish I know, but I love snow!

yes it brings out the gollum in all of us:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement