Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi All,

would like to apologise for predicting snow today in the NW, w and SW. The snow 'event' turned out be a complete disaster.

I know some of the well respected weather experts here got it wrong too, as did Met Eireann who have just removed their warning of 'up to 6cm' of snow for west. However, they are usually spot on so something obviously went catastrophically wrong in terms of that system today.

This country and snow do not have a good relationship. Time and time again we are let down. But good things come to those who wait so roll on next Sunday and Monday.

To all snow lovers, I apologise again for building your hopes up. I am gutted myself. To all snow haters.....erm....congratulations.

Wolfe

ps....as a point of note is there any chance we could keep our snow threads to predictions and discussions on same? Maybe we could set up another thread for those who mean well but keep on making us out to be wreckless bastards by talking about how older people are suffering. They should just take it that we all are aware of this. This is a snow thread.

Wolfe, I am not sure why you are apologizing? Your updates on the models were showing were nothing short of top quality. This is weather, this is weather forecasting in Ireland, it is never going to be an exact science. That is what is depressing and exciting at the same time about the weather in Ireland because no one will ever no for sure what will happen, no matter how much knowledge they have under their belt. So it is not apologies we are looking for from you, but your respect. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

200motels wrote: »
    I'm not so confident of snow where I am, maybe sleet or rain, but anyone inland will get plenty of snow.

That would mean that Cork City would be the same then - hope it doesn't happen like that

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    I think this situation is now putting ME under pressure.

It's putting us ALL under pressure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

The winter of 1947. Hopefully it won't be that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

theres 5 or 6 above freezing . . .

Air temp - yes
    Road temp - no (N15 Kilygordon (+1.7C) & N17 Tuam (+2.7C) are the only ones in +)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Polar Low "No Show" what a load of crap forecast that was :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Benincasa wrote: »
    In layman's terms, what does this mean???

Hi There.

The current chart posted for T+72, indicates an area of most likely snowfall approaching Eastern and Southeastern areas at 12 Hours Noon on Sunday.

The upper air profile & temperatures would support snowfall at that stage, provided the precipitation was present as indicated on that chart.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi All,

ps....as a point of note is there any chance we could keep our snow threads to predictions and discussions on same? Maybe we could set up another thread for those who mean well but keep on making us out to be wreckless bastards by talking about how older people are suffering. They should just take it that we all are aware of this. This is a snow thread.

Wolfe , dont worry met eireann got it wrong too :)
    Weather is always hard to predict, no one can see the future,
    I like your suggestion about creating another thread. All the snow haters should read what he just said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

opr wrote: »
    What's your take on Sunday ? I know its still very early but interested to hear your thoughts as you have been bang on with most of your predictions.

Opr

Going on today's 12Z models it looks like Sunday may be the final shootout of this cold spell before the Atlantic breaks down the door late Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

No need to say sorry WolfeIRE its called a forcast for a reason!! its not called "Weather is deffinatly going to happen 100%".. im new here and have found your forcasts informative and accurate!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    Going on today's 12Z models it looks like Sunday may be the final shootout of this cold spell before the Atlantic breaks down the door late Monday.

No snow then from your point of view ?

EDIT : Actually what does your post mean ? Are we going back to the usual mild damp conditions from Monday onwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Some pics from earlier in Dublin.

This one had toffee-pops for eyes.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101414&stc=1&d=1262897689

Just weird.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101415&stc=1&d=1262897689

Mature kids, of the drunken kind.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101416&stc=1&d=1262897689

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

so limerick could be lookin good for snow on sunday/monday???? fingers crossed!!:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

so limerick could be lookin good for snow on sunday/monday???? fingers crossed!!:D:eek:

Possible but not as good a chance as places further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

EDIT : Actually what does your post mean ? Are we going back to the usual mild damp conditions from Monday onwards ?

its do or die.
    if it snows it snow, if it does not then that could be the last chance of snow of the year and temps riseing to being wet again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Some more.

Hard winter.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101419&stc=1&d=1262897957

A young effort.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101420&stc=1&d=1262897971

5oc walk. Breeze felt like 15 below.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101421&stc=1&d=1262897971

Yes it does.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101422&stc=1&d=1262897971

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

Possible but not as good a chance as places further east.[/quote

just a few inches.... i wont be greedy.. promise!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Great pics there Dotsie! The last one looks like the snowman is doing a lap/pole dance though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Trotter wrote: »
    Im in the exact same situation. I refuse to believe Waterford City will have significant snow. I've been here before!!

Keep the faith. Maybe this time tomorrow it might be more of a sure thing. Imagine how amazing it would be if it did happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

its do or die.
    if it snows it snow, if it does not then that could be the last chance of snow of the year and temps riseing to being wet again
    Last snow of the year?
    Not a chance my friend, are you forgetting that we are only in our first week of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Trotter wrote: »
    Im in the exact same situation. I refuse to believe Waterford City will have significant snow. I've been here before!!

Regarding Waterford, BB summed it up nicely back here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63788041&postcount=2

There could be just the right mix of conditions Sunday/Monday. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It would seem so from today's models, though I've only given them a brief scan at this point. I'm going to have a deeper look now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Hi all, not much happening here tonight, but very cold again!!!

Had icicles hanging off my tree this morning, never saw that before, not on my tree anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Well a couple of hours in the shop and the 'Thunder Snow 2000' is born, fear this evil looking contraption, it might look meager but she travels!!! :p

sled.jpg

Made for the man below! My 4.5 y.o. nephew, he has a present for you guys in the west and south west........some snow!! :P
    paju.jpg

Gerry wants a go on the sled too, he even got out his good snow suit, I told him if he behaved and learned to say the word 'snow' more that he might get a go!! :D
    shhhhnow.jpg

Anywayyyyyyy, -4.1c here at the moment, a fog down also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

It would seem so from today's models, though I've only given them a brief scan at this point. I'm going to have a deeper look now.....

Where are the MET getting the 7-10 more days of this from ?

Thanks for all your efforts throughout these events , They have been very much appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

redsunset wrote: »
    Forecast of the decade and more if it come off

Wouldn't be very hard would it seen as the decade is only 7 days old.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

I actually really hope this doesnt come off. I am loosing so much business at the moment and not to mention, stranded yesterday. If that system was to happen it would be absolutely devastating

I'm all for some snow but that is nuts!

What The Fcuk is Paul Cunningham from RTE wearing on his head now ? (9 o clock News )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What in god's name is that man wearing on his head on RTE news talking about the weather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

So its possible this cold spell could end Monday???:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement