Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Benincasa wrote: »
    I am due to fly out of Dublin early tomorrow morning and return late on Monday night.

I am now seriously tempted to cancel this - I don't want my return flight to be canceled nor do i want to get back to Dublin airport and be stuck there - I live in South Dublin.

I have a pregnant wife and a 2 year old who are staying in Dublin and I don't want to see them stranded alone in the house either.

Any comments from the more experienced people here? Am I mad to think of canceling?

My cousin was due to fly back to Dublin from Gatwick on Tuesday, but the whole place ground two a halt and she had to sleep two nights on a plastic seat - no rooms in the hotels, and no clear roads from the airport. She's booked nearly ten flights but all have been either full or cancelled so far, we're hoping the one she has booked for tomorrow night goes out ok. With this weather not set to let up anytime soon, I'd advise against flying. Bear in mind however that she's with Ryanair - other airlines had the decency to at least put their stranded passengers up in hotels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Anyone else seeing these small things in the air in Dublin? Like tiny hail or ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Doyler1981 wrote: »

Go to the updated one!!! Although their weather forecasts are totally unreliable irrespective of the country you are in!:D

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    My cousin was due to fly back to Dublin from Gatwick on Tuesday, but the whole place ground two a halt and she had to sleep two nights on a plastic seat - no rooms in the hotels, and no clear roads from the airport. She's booked nearly ten flights but all have been either full or cancelled so far, we're hoping the one she has booked for tomorrow night goes out ok. With this weather not set to let up anytime soon, I'd advise against flying. Bear in mind however that she's with Ryanair - other airlines had the decency to at least put their stranded passengers up in hotels!

Ring Met Eireann directly..I did once and they actually put me through to the one of the Met staff. Phone number in phonebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Chaps,

I'm supposed to be in Dublin tomorrow evening; Rathmines, to be exact. Will I be able to drive? I can leave anytime after 2pm. Am I kidding myself even trying?

Thanks.

Motorway sections of the M9 aren't too bad, worse the closer you get to Dublin.
    N9 normal sections not great, have been salted but still have a lot of slush which could freeze tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Anyone else seeing these small things in the air in Dublin? Like tiny hail or ice?

Yeah, it's freezing fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The potential event needs to be kept in perspective, it's not guaranteed and changes in wind direction etc could well occur before then.

As I said earlier, I think it's safe to place the Risk at approximately 45% for this potential event.

People should not alter plans just yet & perhaps wait another while at least and see how confidence is on this. Beforehand, light snow showers are quite possible into Eastern areas during Saturday.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

From wikipedia

Freezing fog occurs when liquid fog droplets freeze to surfaces, forming white soft or hard rime.[10] This is very common on mountain tops which are exposed to low clouds. It is equivalent to freezing rain, and essentially the same as the ice that forms inside a freezer which is not of the "frostless" or "frost-free" type. The term "freezing fog" may also refer to fog where water vapor is super-cooled filling the air with small ice crystals similar to very light snow. It seems to make the fog "tangible", as if one could "grab a handful".

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

yes - you can see them in very strong light. head lights of a car etc

it's the particles of the fog. at a glance i thought it was snowing again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    I'm looking at my record low of both Air and grass
    -4C and -10C atm, -6.0C and -11.9C to beat. I still have snow cover which is aiding the temp fall.

Now -5.5°C , record surely under threat. Is slow and steady as she goes here.
    Hope you have a record minima MM this cold spell deserves it!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Me, I'll wait til Saturday, then I'll look at the temperatures across continental Europe and that will give a good idea to how cold the airmass will be.
    I had my doubts about the last easterly on December 30 as I did not think Europe was cold enough to give us a snow event, and it didn't.
    But this coming easterly will be blowing of a colder and snow covered Europe, which it wasn't on Dec 30.
    Very marginal as usual!

The latest Met Eireann outlook mentions widespread, heavy snow and drifting, that to me would indicate that they have high confidence if they are using wording like that this far out. The forecast leading up to Dec 30th was nothing at all like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Sorry to double-post, but this thread is bombing along. Anyone know if the cabbies will risk it tomorrow night?
    Any chance of driving home (Dun Laoghaire) from Rathfarnham tomorrow night about 1? Or even of there being taxis on the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Shouldn't we have a new thread for the weekend risk, now that ''eagle says polar low'' is a bit outdated? Plus its nearly friday, this is Wednesday/Thursdays thread . . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sorry to double-post, but this thread is bombing along. Anyone know if the cabbies will risk it tomorrow night?

God knows. It would hardly be worth their while if the traffic is as bad as yesterday....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Yeah, strange stuff alright, like ice crystals billowing in the air.

0F9591DDDCD4450F96D99F029F064E3D-500.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Forecast seems a lot better in writing on Met.ie:

The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

-5.6°C reached, record equalled!
    I am excited :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Freezing fog with frozen moisture I think...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

DOCARCH wrote: »

The east to northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday and Monday, but with those winds increasing. So the snow threat for the whole of the country increases too. There is likely to be further snow over a wide area, but especially the eastern half of the country, some of it heavy, with possibly some drifting in the winds.

Sounds great! I think the fact that met eireann seem so confident about this front bodes well for the weekend!:D

Doesnt sound like it was written by Gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

soccerc wrote: »
    Yeah, strange stuff alright, like ice crystals billowing in the air.

0F9591DDDCD4450F96D99F029F064E3D-500.jpg

Was wondering what that was. Have never seen it before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ireland and the UK from space.
    715tu0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

streamer's starting to form on the irish sea and look like there moveing toward's the east coast.

Pangea wrote: »
    Ireland and the UK from space.
    715tu0.jpg

:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doesnt sound like it was written by Gerry.

No. Classic 80's forecast. Didn't see TV forecast, but from I heard, it wasn't as positive as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Any idea how much of the East coast this is likely to hit and if it's likely to stretch into the North-East?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

-2.4C here, heading for a new record if it keeps falling at this rate. Lowest recorded here since the station was setup in 2006 was -3.3C last January

No. Classic 80's forecast. Didn't see TV forecast, but from I heard, it wasn't as positive as that.

Not as positive but he did talk about a risk of significant falls of "sleet and snow".

TBF,the conditions are probably changing by the second....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

jambofc wrote: »
    streamer's starting to form on the irish sea and look like there moveing toward's the east coast.

Yeah was just looking at that, might get some showers tonight :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement