Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Looks like a rolled up Johnny...pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What The Fcuk is Paul Cunningham from RTE wearing on his head now ? (9 o clock News )

snap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What in god's name is that man wearing on his head on RTE news talking about the weather

That Hat (if you can call it that) is up there with Jean's fetish outfit the other night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

What The Fcuk is Paul Cunningham from RTE wearing on his head now ? (9 o clock News )

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

WolfeIRE apologise for nothing you have contributed a hell of lot to these threads and informed a lot of us (who are meteorologically inept) since the start of cold snap

keep up the good work sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What in god's name is that man wearing on his head on RTE news talking about the weather

Oh my god i know - myself and my mum were in CONVULSIONS laughing at him! It doesn 't even LOOK like a hat - just a random piece of material that he picked up from one of the bins nearby perhaps cos he just couldn't take the cold anymore?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Hey hey Villain - we got a tour round your gaff on the 9 news :D Tullow and Baltinglass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

mickger wrote: »
    So its possible this cold spell could end Monday???:eek:

Its possible there could be a rise in temp on Tuesday I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Looks like a rolled up Johnny...pmsl
    lmfao:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

His trying to be down with the kids god love him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Thanks all. Very decent of you.

Such a close run thing. As predicted the system intensified as it reached midwest and southwest but was pushed off course. That would have delivered a lot of snow :(
    3hr-rain.gif

As for sunday and early next week, the following may be some help to those who don't speak tech. Click here. Then choose Precipitations. The GEFS
    model keeps snow going countrywide all week. It is simply incredible. The battle between milder atlantic air and our easterly/southeasterly airflow on sunday next week is a classic situation in terms of snow potential.

I don't know if this has been pointed out already but the snow potential for areas outside south and east coasts is considerable. Should this moisture travel north and west it will most definitely turn to snow. The further north and west you go by then the colder it gets due to the fact that the country will have experienced almost a month of below average temps and more than 10 consecutive days of sub zero temps at night.

The GEFS run shows that the warmer atlantic systems will try time and time again to push back the colder airmass but the cold will win out, at least until Friday.

I'll let you know how this model (gefs) changes as fresh updates come online. You could also bookmark that link yourself and check in 2-3 times a day. It updates every 6 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

malman wrote: »
    His trying to be down with the kids god love him.

Thank fcuk someone does then... strange fellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

that was the wierdest thing i have ever seen on a mans head.... it was shocking! What have rte in the wardrobe department.... maybe he was trying to have head gear that looked like a snowdrift!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Guidance is split at the moment, ECMWF, GEM & GME in particular, UKMO to a lesser extent suggest a continuation of an undercutting motion as appraoching lows are deflected due to the existance of such an entrenched cold pool over Ireland.

When real cold becomes entrenched for so long it becomes quite powerful, synoptically speaking.

Certainly there will probably be a moderation in temperatures, in terms of the diurnal range etc, but there is no clear unanimous signal tonight for an immediate end to this phase on Monday, from what I can see anyway.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

garytuohy wrote: »
    I actually really hope this doesnt come off. I am loosing so much business at the moment and not to mention, stranded yesterday. If that system was to happen it would be absolutely devastating

I'm all for some snow but that is nuts!

Agreed i'm in the same boat. Business is under enough pressure at present without this coming off. If it does next week will be a right off with the lack of grit and proper emergency plan fron the goverment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

:D Post of the day. You even quoted exactly what I just said to my wife here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No chance!! - Tonights ECM(by far the best performing model) has the cold continuing right out to 240hrs.:)

PS: Ignore GFS - its performance has been hopeless in recent weeks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Thanks all. Very decent of you.

Such a close run thing. As predicted the system intensified as it reached midwest and southwest but was pushed off course. That would have delivered a lot of snow :(
    3hr-rain.gif

As for sunday and early next week, the following may be some help to those who don't speak tech. Click here. Then choose Precipitations. The GEFS
    model keeps snow going countrywide all week. It is simply incredible. The battle between milder atlantic air and our easterly/southeasterly airflow on sunday next week is a classic situation in terms of snow potential.

I don't know if this has been pointed out already but the snow potential for areas outside south and east coasts is considerable. Should this moisture travel north and west it will most definitely turn to snow. The further north and west you go by then the colder it gets due to the fact that the country will have experienced almost a month of below average temps and more than 10 consecutive days of sub zero temps at night.

The GEFS run shows that the warmer atlantic systems will try time and time again to push back the colder airmass but the cold will win out, at least until Friday.

I'll let you know how this model (gefs) changes as fresh updates come online. You could also bookmark that link yourself and check in 2-3 times a day. It updates every 6 hrs.

Wolfe thanks so much for that! That is a great help for those of us who aren't up on all the weather jargon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Wolf,
    Feel to apologise but i also think there is no need,you have kept all of us informed for a long time now and i will certainly be keeping an eye out for your posts from now on.
    At the end of the day we are all in the same boat wishing for snow:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

From the charts I have read, Its not going to suddenly shoot up Monday, If it dose, its going to be a slow process, and im my opinion I cant see any major rise next week:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

If there is one thing better than the RTE weather after the 9 news it has to be this thread for half an hour after it's over. EVERY word said is analysed down to syllable and tone. Dress sense gets a comment. Stance and body language also. It's better than the panel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i for one hope sunday does arrive as predicted to shut up all the people saying "its just a bit of snow" and the people giving out about people having difficulty driving.lets see them bombing around in their cars then!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

irish1967 wrote: »
    If there is one thing better than the RTE weather after the 9 news it has to be this thread for half an hour after it's over. EVERY word said is analysed down to syllable and tone. Dress sense gets a comment. Stance and body language also. It's better than the panel. :)

Maybe Gerry Murphy will come on in Paul Cunningham's hat and Jean Byrne's leather...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

It would be great if we could get a still of that hat. This could be trend setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

101430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

101430.jpg

LOL:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Its possible there could be a rise in temp on Tuesday I think.

Lad from MET on RTE at the beginning of the news was saying temps wont rise but they wont drop any further .

Do you think there just being over sensitive now with there predictions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

attachment.php?attachmentid=101430&stc=1&d=1262899140

OMG. Pissing ourselves laughing here. Oh that has to make post of the day or there is no justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Is that outside the augistinians Billy????:D

• Advertisement

101430.jpg

POST OF THE YEAR ,

A picture can speak a thousand words, That just says one

Muppet !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement