Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Amazing to see even the very southwest fringes of England covered in white.

I wonder will there be a lot less Green by Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63857568#post63857568

Check these pictures out.

(Nicked em off another thread)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Anyone else seeing these small things in the air in Dublin? Like tiny hail or ice?

When I was driving on Stephen's Green about 6pm I stopped at the traffic lights beside a van and I could see tiny ice crystally type stuff floating around in the air in its headlights. It was as if someone had kicked snow up into the air and the crystals were left behind gradually floating down. I think I've heard of this before. Anyone know what causes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

However parts of North Wales and North-West England are not.... too close to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

what the chance we get a good snowfall on the east coast on sunday/monday in percentage , will it be like yesterday or worse??????;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

So at this stage it would seem that my hunch from last night has come true, and that the system hasn't really developed into anything noteworthy before reaching Ireland. It has been producing scattered showers of rain in west and northwestern low level locations (Donegal and Sligo airports, Belmullet, Mace Head, and freezing rain in other locations (Kerry Airport for one), but it didn't deepen as much as the UKMO predicted yesterday evening. The GFS and HIRLAM have been pretty spot on with this system, the UKMO was too aggressive with it, having it still a 1012hPa system on reaching the far northwest this afternoon, when in fact it was already beginning to fill. With awful radar coverage in the northwest, it remains to be seen how much precipitation this system will bring to the western quarter of the country, but I've a feeling that my snowdepth chart I posted earlier may have been a bit on the heavy-handed side, and most people in the west will see nothing more than a brief shower (of what depends on elevation - I still think the snowlines are about right).

Small systems like this have a much shorther life (1-2 days) than larger synoptic lows (5-7 days). The fact that this system had lost its upper support on leaving Iceland, and was already beginning to occlude this time yesterday was a good indication that it would be nothing more than a slack low, generating sporadic showers in the western quarter of the country. But it just goes to show that even 24 hours out, nothing's ever 100% sure, and to be fair The Eagle did admit after the 9 news last night that he didn't think it would amount to much either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    When I was driving on Stephen's Green about 6pm I stopped at the traffic lights beside a van and I could see tiny ice crystally type stuff floating around in the air in its headlights. It was as if someone had kicked snow up into the air and the crystals were left behind gradually floating down. I think I've heard of this before. Anyone know what causes it.

It's real freezing fog. The drops of moisture stick together to form ice crystals which then simply fall to the ground like very very fine snow.

Many people call fog freezing fog when the temperature is below 0c, but in reality it's not really freezing fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I agree on the new thread, anyone care to lock this and start a new one ??

what the chance we get a good snowfall on the east coast on sunday/monday in percentage , will it be like yesterday or worse??????;)

Could be anything from just rain and sleet with no snow or the biggest snowfall in decades.

Maybe somewhere in the middle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

From what SnowAddict said @ 3 days out 45%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Rougies wrote: »
    That's usually true when the Altantic wins out and pushes a depression across the country over the cold air resulting in a big snowfall followed by milder weather. This time it's different. The depression is coming from the continent, and it means business!:eek:

You mentioned that this snow is different. I heard it been mentioned that this snow is harder for the County and city councils to treat because 'it is not the right type of snow'. Do you know what is different about the composition of this type of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ffarrell wrote: »
    There is no way on earth that there will be snow in Cork and not in Dublin (despite the tons we have already) next Sunday. Dublin is just a colder city.:D

Personality wise maybe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I agree on the new thread, anyone care to lock this and start a new one ??

Yes i agree and rename it something even more exciting!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=10&sat=vis

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-5.5c here now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I will admit i wasn't convinced and probably still am but Met Eireann have boosted my confidence of this being very special so if it does,I think come saturday afternoon,if the strong potential is still there,then a national emergency should be put out.
    I really can't see temps being a problem,we are in a savage cold pool and with lying snow and
    Drawing air from siberia over snow covered lands

Whatever about coastlines being a wintry mix,inland should be snow.

gfs-1-72.png?12

gfs-1-90.png?12

gfs-0-78.png?12

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes i agree and rename it something even more exciting!!:D

We could call it "Yer one Lisa off Sky News and the lovely anvils" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

BDFE0EF3EB8541F8AA175FB7488F7A46-800.jpg

Don't start new thread until a mod closes this one - there will be chaos!

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

Issued at 07 January 2010 - 20:00
    Weather Warning
    Widespread severe frost and ice overnight and in the morning. Some freezing fog also. Hail and snow showers in Atlantic coastal counties will die out overnight, but a few may push onto parts of the east and southeast coasts

DOCARCH wrote: »

Don't start new thread until a mod closes this one - there will be chaos!

I'm too busy looking at google images after inspiring myself LOL :p

And remember lads, the country will have no grit left after Sunday, there is going to be a gap of 7 to 10 days then before more grit arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

-1.1C here and foggy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The crystals are mad. The footpath on James Street East (behind ESB) is covered in it with not much foot traffic. Because of the slope you can get a serious slide out of it. Kinda fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm too busy looking at google images after inspiring myself LOL :p

:rolleyes:!!!!!:D

TomTom wrote: »
    The crystals are mad. The footpath on James Street East (behind ESB) is covered in it with not much foot traffic. Because of the slope you can get a serious slide out of it. Kinda fun.

Try it in a wheelchair. NOT fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

OK guys a question that may or may not be answerd

I have a friend looking to drive over from the UK on Thursday next... Looking at the roads and weather today i should think calling of the drive - Milton Keynes to Holyhead - would be a wise idea given that he has the wife and two girsl with him.

Any indication as to the freezing conditions continuing that far ahead?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mobhi1 wrote: »

Its rime before its finished gathering mass (i.e. superchilled liquid water, well below zero, in fog thats aggregating mass into a crystaline structure- and would normally fall to the ground as soon as it reaches a certain size).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Was just thinking that today, this weather must be a complete bitch for people with disabilities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement