Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Our coastal beaches are protected by an EU habitat directive and with good cause. Wholesale use would cause coastal erosion.

Its a bit stupid we're depending on salt from the UK, when we have a complete coastline a tonnes of sand sitting there doing nothing.

Its like ordering a takeaway when you have dinner in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

Dense fog around the Slane area just descended in the last 20 minutes. Pretty bad. Be careful out there!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

snaps wrote: »
    where are you? Finland? Did you measure the ice with a screw? 20" is what you'll get in arctic situations, not Ireland

I am not sure if they even get that deep on Ice Road truckers .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sounds like some of those famous last words.. If Owen vanishes...

sorry but i didnt go on this lake someone else did its that frozen so whatever you can even go up there to see how deep the snow is...... you people down south have no idea how cold it is up here you know metos statios are always a couple of c colder here at night and around 5c colder up on the mountain tthey are always warm on the cold nights.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Just out with neighbour there trying to get his car out - Wife fell outside yesterday & shattered her knee cap... He cant get car out to go get her from hospital......... we were digging there for 30 min & still going no where..... Hes ringing a taxi company to go get her......... As we dug we evertually gave up outside.... 12cm of snow ontop of 10cm of solid ice.... Thats how bad it is in places ...... & we laughed between us we have no food.... But I just traded in a box of t bags for a large jar of coffee...... Hes been gagging for a cuppa for days now ..........:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

is 200 tonnes enough for Dublin??

At least the army lads might actually have something to do here now!

What instead of driving taxis?

I am not sure if they even get that deep on Ice Road truckers .

lol to be honest the deep lake is about 50 inches deep and around 5 or 6 inches are frozen that is a joke and how can walkig on 6 inches of ice break the ice btw there is close to 2/3 foot of snow on top of this ice so its defiantly deep enough to hold one person (not me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

redsunset wrote: »
    Yes gfs concurs with his thoughts,he actually looks concerned

tabloid media! its a bit early to be concerned is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My bird bath has 30" ice on it!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Is it safe to walk on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Punctuation marks are symbols that indicate the structure and organization of written language, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading aloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

owenc wrote: »
    lol to be honest the deep lake is about 50 inches deep and around 5 or 6 inches are frozen that is a joke and how can walkig on 6 inches of ice break the ice btw there is close to 2/3 foot of snow on top of this ice so its defiantly deep enough to hold one person (not me)

Owen, far be it from me...

50 inches deep is enough to drown in, particularly if you get trapped. 2/3 foot of snow on any surface is heavy enough to cause it to break if it's weak at all. You can't tell from looking at it just how weak it is.

You're looking to justify doing something that a lot of people have told you is unwise.

I personally would not take the risk.

snaps face is 60 inches of ice is it safe to walk on??????? of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

sorry but i didnt go on this lake someone else did its that frozen so whatever you can even go up there to see how deep the snow is...... you people down south have no idea how cold it is up here you know metos statios are always a couple of c colder here at night and around 5c colder up on the mountain tthey are always warm on the cold nights.....

LOL you people up there don't have a monopoly of cold weather ya know ;) Mr Villain would testify to that:)

I still would be naturally wary of ice and lakes unless I knew it was a shallow depth for sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Parts of it might appear to be...especially around the edges... but sections of it certainly wont be... that is why it is utter stupidity for anyone or anythng to walk on it unless they are a bird.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I do believe Carlow was the coldest place on this Island last night .

Have you ever been up the Dublin Mts/Wicklow Mts/ McGillycuddy Reeks ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Would be wise to note the following from here also.
    Ice is seldom the same thickness over a single body of water. It can be two feet thick in one place and one inch thick a few yards away due to currents, springs, rotting vegetation or school of rough fish. You need to check the ice at least every 150 feet, especially early in the season or any situation where the thickness varies widely. White ice, sometimes called "snow ice," is only about one-half as strong as new clear ice so the above thicknesses should be doubled.

Just stay safe!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

One question - isn't this a forum about weather not frozen lakes?

Could we get back on topic please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Your posts are very difficult to read...

Is there not enough ground and roads to walk on everywhere besides people walking on ice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Shane732 wrote: »
    One question - isn't this a forum about weather not frozen lakes?

Could we get back on topic please?

Not much weather to report. Failed polar low, no snow reported lately. Lots of freezing fog though. I'd fast forward to Sunday if I had a machine that would allow it.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Its a bit stupid we're depending on salt from the UK, when we have a complete coastline a tonnes of sand sitting there doing nothing.

Its like ordering a takeaway when you have dinner in the microwave.

Salt stops the road from freezing and thaws it out, sand only gives grip. They use a mix of salt sand and grit for best effect. 3000 tonnes isn't near enough, the mine in antrim is throwing out 4000 a day and there is a serious shortage.

The 40,000 imported into cork is gone already, more on the way but it wont last long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

snaps wrote: »
    My bird bath has 30" ice on it!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Is it safe to walk on?

Jaysus, that's some bird bath!! Wouldn't get 30 inches in my own bath!!

I say whoever wants to go out on a frozen lake, let them, just don't drag the kids along (unless it's only 6 inches deep of course :)

And what about them swans etc. getting stuck in the ice. MAybe the phrase sitting sducks should be replaced by frozen in swans.

And Wolf-ire is getting vexed about the disregard towards grammer and punctuation folks, time to reel ourselves in and get over the disappointment of MetEireann getting it wrong again!

That, along with being west of Wolfs now infamous 'black line', built me up something awful.

Just about to jump in the car now and go home, hoping for a blizzard, expecting rain. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

snaps face is 60 inches of ice is it safe to walk on??????? of course!

If only question marks were snow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

:eek:

Sky News are just reporting that the grit levels are running low in the UK. Interesting that Ireland gets it's grit from the UK....

I wonder what's going to happen next. Any guesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

To be fair, Met Eireann did say today or 'early tonight' the precipitation would fall.

So I haven't given up hope of the snow, yet. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Skies clearing in Galway now, looks like a non event. Even if we do get snow it looks like minimal amounts. Ah well, off to Germany tomorrow, I'm sure I'll see some there. Hope Dublin Airport is open on Sunday though!

Would be wise to note the following from here also.

Just stay safe!

well if a snow mobile can drive on five inches of ice and we hav 6 or 7 inches then a human can surely walk on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Shane732 wrote: »
    :eek:

Sky News are just reporting that the grit levels are running low in the UK. Interesting that Ireland gets it's grit from the UK....

I wonder what's going to happen next. Any guesses?

Dont pay too much attention to Sky "News". They love to go way over the top.

Am I the only one to notice that Lovely Lisa's chart has the temperature at +5 for Eastern Ireland. That would mean rain, wouldn't it?

Max Temp is it not , although not likely in Snowy conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

That so called Polar Low seems to be tracking much further West than first thought.The 3 hour ME chart shows it slipping by about 50 miles west of Dingle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement