Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weathertransportupdates.html

17:20 Cork City Council has put up warning signs at The Lough. The lake is extremely dangerous with varying degrees of thickness and the ice could break

But can people read? Do they have any common sense? I see a guy was recovered from a lake in England today. That should be warning enough for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

January 12 of 1982, official lowest temperature recorded at Glasnevin, Dublin was -
    (minus) - 19.6 as quoted in Today's Irish times....what about that Owen???:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

After a high of -3.0 today temps have started to drop here in Newbridge

Temp -3.8

DP -4.8

Fog has not lifted for most of the day

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ffarrell wrote: »
    January 12 of 1982, official lowest temperature recorded at Glasnevin, Dublin was -
    (minus) - 19.6 as quoted in Today's Irish times....what about that Owen???:D:D:D:D:D:D

That was actually grass temperature - trust papers to get it wrong!

Lowest (20th century) air temperature in ROI was -18.8°C at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

After a high of -3.0 today temps have started to drop here in Newbridge

Temp -3.8

DP -4.8

Fog has not lifted for most of the day

Fog will keep the temp from not dropping too low!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

welll if no cloud comes i think somewhere along the north west england to scotland could reach -25c as places are already at -13c there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Tenner to say a non event in Waterford :rolleyes:

Safest tenner in the world I'd say. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Lads are the NRA stations not taken into account when giving official readings ?

N81 Baltinglass was down to -15.2 last night but there talking about -12 being the lowest recored temp last night .

owenc wrote: »
    welll if no cloud comes i think somewhere along the north west england to scotland could reach -25c as places are already at -13c there.....

It will be the midlands of UK that have the lowest temps, Like Oxfordshire where last night it was -17c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Oooh, we're so much better in the UK.

Touchy, touchy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Trotter wrote: »
    Safest tenner in the world I'd say. :p

add cork in as well - we'll get snizzle at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Lads are the NRA stations not taken into account when giving official readings ?

N81 Baltinglass was down to -15.2 last night but there talking about -12 being the lowest recored temp last night .

Met Eireann don't seem to trust any one else, they dont accept villains -16 either.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

I was up Snowboarding in Dublin Mountains (stocking lane) today and had to take a few pic for you guys :)
    I know it's a bit late but it was sunny and no wind with loads of snow
    got to about 450m high
    the rest of the photos here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63854117#post63854117

first run and before the long clime backup I had to take a photo
    07012010345.jpg

there was no footprints in the snow think I went farther than anyone else in the last week or so
    07012010342.jpg

one last one the rest in the link/weather photo board
    07012010335.jpg

The vast experience of the UK met office and that includes several years/decades of work experience/university degree's and post grad's expects some where to reach -25c
    It won't be colraine or anywhere near it in this spell.
    Too much maratime influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Get a grip..the highest mountain snowfall is practically always in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains because of their height, lugnaquilla over 3.000 feet, their eastern, therefore generally colder geographic position. They have had metres up there for the past couple of weeks and the same thing last year. Even the Polish snowplough operators I met last year said THEY had not seen such drifts in years...and they had to clear them. The Miltary raod was closed for nearly two weeks ---you could not see the road...just the beginning of the 23 kilometer stretch to Laragh...and the top of the 10 foot raod sign. Pictures being posted this evening.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A description of Lug to anyone who has no idea...... On a dry day in September you can just about breathe on the top of it. We climbed it last sept for the Irish Cancer Society.. Its a cold that you cannot descibe.. Your breath hurts, your snots hurts, The wind will cut you in two, Its 8 hours of hike up & down. We came down the Glenmalure side of the mountain.. Even then on a beautiful sunny day its a cold that you cannot descibe. Its worse than Croke Patrick ( we did that too) but it is beautiful.

Last night we had the rescue chopper over us heading that way 3 times. Please people dont even attempt to go near it

Coyote wrote: »
    I was up Snowboarding in Dublin Mountains (stocking lane) today and had to take a few pic for you guys :)
    I know it's a bit late but it was sunny and no wind with loads of snow
    the rest of the photos here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63854117#post63854117

first run and before the long clime backup I had to take a photo
    07012010345.jpg

there was no footprints in the snow think I went farther than anyone else in the last week or so
    07012010342.jpg

one last one the rest in the link/weather photo board
    07012010335.jpg
    Beautifull stuff.
    It's the same up on croghan down here but hey We don't have to go up there at the moment :pac:

Is that the kippure mast in the background? as thats in co wicklow and not Dublin :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautifull stuff.
    It's the same up on croghan down here but hey We don't have to go up there at the moment :pac:

Is that the kippure mast in the background? as thats in co wicklow and not Dublin :)

Kippure is the border between Dublin and Wicklow (border runs through the summit) - stop trying to claim all snow for Wicklow! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Looks like the temperature topped out at -1.3 and is heading down again now..

Temperature: -1.7 °C
    Dew Point: -2.0 °C

Still a bit foggy and dead still wind wise.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Kippure is the border between Dublin and Wicklow (border runs through the summit) - stop trying to claim all snow for Wicklow! ;)
    The peak is in wickla boy ;)

Beautifull stuff.

I'm not sure if it's Kippure in the backround but stocking lane is in the dublin mountains :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No sign of snow here in Donegal, has the front disappeared?

The peak is in wickla boy ;)

Don't think so, unless Wicklow stole it!*

*scrambles for maps*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Waaaayyy!! wrote: »
    This whole thread is a waste of time!! Find something better to do!!

Did you register on boards, just to say that??? :rolleyes:

lol just checked google map and I would guess I was about a 100m from the Wicklow border.
    the photo is to the south south west of where I was.

google map shows the last 20m of Kippure mountain as being in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Beautifull stuff.

That is in the Dublin mountains as I know it well but very close to the Wicklow border.:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just,by a few meters.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Really foggy here in D11

Roads where a tad better today compared with yesterday but i ave a feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

There's been over 1000 posts, hardly a waste of time!! BTW.. did u go through the bother of registering just to say that?? :confused:

• Advertisement

snow not mentioned at all for sunday on tv3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement