Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Bicycle wrote: »
    There's supposed to be a significant amount of salt arriving in Limerick Port tomorrow from the UK. (Can't remember my source but it was one of the news websites earlier today).
    3500 tonnes from Northern england arriving tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

the eagle did say at 9:30m pm last night, the forecasters say it will miss us but he cautioned there was possibility that it might affect us. in other words his experience told him it was unlikely to happen but given you can get caught out with snow he was covering his bases. i am critical of met eireann but snow is notoriously hard to predict and for much of this cold period they've done quite well.

that said overall i still find the bbc more accurate for an overall view of how things will pan out

the bbc had snow as well for the west inland...did it track west again at the last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for this. This is one of the problems with such rare weather; people go mad.

And trusting that parents have checked? In rural Donegal, quads are toys for many. We have seen kids of seven out on them on public roads and with no safety helmets etc.

With no supervision. There was a 16 year old killed a few year back like that. On her birthday.

Much risk with activities can be avoided with simple safey gear and rules... and no; few here would ever allow a child to swim unsupervised in a lake. Many of us have lost siblings like that, or under ice.

Sorry; struggling with some hard memories here.
    Well the was a senior GARDA on RTE news last night saying it was "most definitely not safe" and thats official enough for me.

People should get a grip , we live in Ireland not Alaska.

We have had a few weeks of cold weather and people think its ok to got out onto frozen lakes.(not talking about the 6inch deep one:D)

It wont be long before we are hearing about a death :(

On a different topic SKY news are completely ramping up a snow event for Sunday , its had trying not to believe the hype , but I will wait until closer to the event to get to excited .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Saxa must be making a fortune :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Just took this a few minutes ago, -3.5C here in Old Kilcullen. It's looked like this most of all day, fog came in around lunch. You can usually see the Wicklow mountains at the horizon. Now you can't even see the field behind us:
    4254401826_fe22db508b_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the bbc had snow as well for the west inland...did it track west again at the last minute?

i'm not saying they don't get it wrong either but over the years i've found them to be far more reliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thought you were in Co. Derry, not the Arctic Ocean? ;)

Hope you checked with your ice auger?

well i brough a hammer and broke the edge of it and it would barely brake and its six inches deep of water there and i broke it it was frozen the whole way through!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    do not tell me that you are talking about me as this lake is large but it is frozen i mean frozne the whole way through nearly you can clearly see that! its not skimpy 1 inche ice its 20 inches ice as its been freezing for days here up there so it can freeze that!

where are you? Finland? Did you measure the ice with a screw? 20" is what you'll get in arctic situations, not Ireland

Ah well. There goes another day at work spent on here waiting for snow that never came. Time to go home to the fire:(
    you will see snow tonight red. You will be waiting for another hour or two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

easterly wind just jumped to 4knts in oranmore after being 0 for ages. Might see if that will bring in that rain/sleet/snow or whatever it is sitting out there????

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

You'll need to convert that to Euro though

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

safe to say NON EVENT for western areas. still waiting to see some snow actually fall.

Ah I see!

Tractor just roared past with empty trailer..

:)

Action at last:D
    Rougies wrote: »
    Donegal was on the RTE news at 6 and 9 o'clock yesterday. They have loads of grit up there! they are even giving it away for free to anybody that needs it. You have to collect it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

safe to say NON EVENT for western areas. still waiting to see some snow actually fall.

go up croagh patrick the next time you see precipitation falling.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

well i brough a hammer and broke the edge of it and it would barely brake and its six inches deep of water there and i broke it it was frozen the whole way through!

this might help:

Measuring ice thickness with EISFlow, a fixed-mounted helicopter electromagnetic-laser system

http://www.geosensors.com/global/prins15.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Raining here now in Tralee, temp after going up a bit:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rougies wrote: »
    Donegal was on the RTE news at 6 and 9 o'clock yesterday. They have loads of grit up there! they are even giving it away for free to anybody that needs it. You have to collect it though.

Only , if you have a yellow Reg Jeep from Northern Ireland (UK) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I missed it. Was he showing charts similar to the latest GFS output?

Yes gfs concurs with his thoughts,he actually looks concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Bicycle wrote: »
    Here in Limerick it is resting just inside the Limerick-Clare border near Coonagh. Almost a straight line, cloud on the Clare(ish) side, clear on the City side. Temperatures 2C but dropping.

Ya I see that. I freezing cold out here now. Its going to snow. Defo feels cold enough

It is still very likely that snow will fall across the west this evening. It may not be significant everywhere but most should see snow in Mayo, Galway, Clare and Kerry.

All you have to do is look at the radars

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

do not tell me that you are talking about me as this lake is large but it is frozen i mean frozne the whole way through nearly you can clearly see that! its not skimpy 1 inche ice its 20 inches ice as its been freezing for days here up there so it can freeze that!

Im afraid the world does not revolve around you !

I was talking in general to people.

Or even the person I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It is still very likely that snow will fall across the west this evening. It may not be significant everywhere but most should see snow in Mayo, Galway, Clare and Kerry.

All you have to do is look at the radars

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

hehe and no cork :(!!!!

hehe and no cork :(!!!!
    West cork yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

id say evelyn is throwing loads of eggs at eagleton in glasnevin:D
    dont be shocked if theres egg on his suit tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

-1.2 here, can see cloads to the west. dark enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Its a bit stupid we're depending on salt from the UK, when we have a complete coastline a tonnes of sand sitting there doing nothing.

Its like ordering a takeaway when you have dinner in the microwave.

Sounds like some of those famous last words.. If Owen vanishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Tenner to say a non event in Waterford :rolleyes:

either way, levels will be small and all in all Met Eireann's warning was/IS way off the mark. Ah well...they can't get it right all the time.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Its like ordering a takeaway when you have dinner in the microwave.

I do that all the time... Its great fun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement