Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Guys check GFS from Monday eve till Tuesday late (the 12Z run).
    It's mindbogging. Could be another event similar to the one on 29th/30th. Massive low comin from the atlantic meeting arctic air from the north.
    Keep your eyes peeled :)

Edit: unfortunately the flow looks southeasterly this time, so not enough cold from the E.. but who knows how it will look in the end?

If it's the same as the 29/30th, no thanks. 48 hours of rain, gale force easterlies and 3 celcius. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Have a good mind to contact Met Eireann and let them have a piece of my mind about the forecast for the West today, going by what they said last night I did not think I could move today with this so called "Polar Low" , I was supposed to travel to Mayo today but cancelled it today in the West today has been beautiful with clear blue sky.

I am rapidly loseing confidence in them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A tractor just passed with a great trailer load of??? GRIT???

Thought they had none in Donegal?

Almost dark too.

I did complain this morning....

Not risking it though; not until I need to and that is a wee while off yet now that they are posting the meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Going by the sats im hoping for snow in limerick within the next 90 min...When i woke up this morning i expected us to get 10cm's with all this polar low talk. Now im hoping for a few flakes ...doubt we'll even get that! Probably just some cloud cover!

arctictree wrote: »
    -3.5c here now. Oil burner stopped working last night so relying on the wood stove now. At least that wont fail. About 6 inches of snow around.

Regarding the ice, just find a place that you KNOW is only a foot or two deep but has a good wide expanse. If the ice breaks then you are OK. In the reservoir near us there are places like this and it is perfectly safe. But I only know this from fishing with waders in the summer. There are other places in the lake with immediate drop offs to 20 or 30 feet. It would be suicidal to walk there.
    We got up to +3.5c here for an hour or two-no thaw of the snow except some dripping on the sheds where the sun got them.
    No dripping where the sun didn't.

Dropping fast now.
    Currently -1.6c
    DP -4.1c

I can see the shower clouds to the East over the sea and they are inviting!

Here they are looking due East...wonder what would happen when the wind swings ne and east again :D

Looking East at Arklow Rock.

070120sqs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

ffarrell wrote: »
    -3 in Castleknock, Blan at the moment with heavy fog. Did not get above -2 here all day. - 1, Dublin City centre max. I believe it has got much milder in Kerry, Clare and Galway regions - up to +5, 6 degrees. Not here however and not likely for the next weel or 10 days.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Defo didn't get anywhere near 6deg here(Galway). Hasn't gotten above 1or 2 deg at most. Looked lovely out though-blue sky and sun! Car froze solid in the space of 10minutes about 3o clock and its just getting colder and colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Dublin 9 covered with fog. Visibility is 100m at best. Not far from darkness now :(

Still clear and bright skies here in Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

relatively clear skies here on west mayo coast, thicker clouds to the northwest. relatively cold. expecting moderate rain later.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Nope, you can't see this baby yet, way to far out in the future....

thanks!

Will that huge band of clouds not produce anything here then?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

was up on benevenagh at the very top today at around 380m and there was 2foot of snow there and 4-5 feet drifts were there were drifts the lake was frozen the whole way through (tried to brake it at edge and never brook!) so we walked accross it in 2 foot of snow and it never broke we even jumped to brake it to see if it was just a skitter of ice but no! mountain road now closed....... temp is -2.1c here no thaw at all every single piece of water is frozen expecting double mins tonight as cloud wil not come in!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ORLY? wrote: »
    Passed the ice as safe? Well I would bet nobody officialy did that. All I'm saying is that we should be careful when throwing around accusations of neglect. Maybe the parents had been out on the ice all day, maybe they checked out the thickness? Ice thickness can be variable no matter where in the world one is and even on very thick ice one can encounter thin pathces. There is an unavoidable risk when crossing ice but this is minimised by ensuring that the ice is thick. Risk is part of life - should kids be banned from swimming in lakes in the summer, from horse riding, from practicing martial arts...the list is endless. If it had been me I would not have risked a quad but as I say maybe the parents were aware it was thick enough. At any rate accusations of neglect are out of order in my opinion.

Well the was a senior GARDA on RTE news last night saying it was "most definitely not safe" and thats official enough for me.

People should get a grip , we live in Ireland not Alaska.

We have had a few weeks of cold weather and people think its ok to got out onto frozen lakes.(not talking about the 6inch deep one:D)

It wont be long before we are hearing about a death :(

On a different topic SKY news are completely ramping up a snow event for Sunday , its had trying not to believe the hype , but I will wait until closer to the event to get to excited .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Question for the experts - Mullingar is reading -2 and Fog at 16.00. When does fog become freezing fog then?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Still clear and bright skies here in Dun Laoghaire
    Even the weather doesn't favour the Northside :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The stalled heavy low cloud to the West of me has started shifting and is moving westwards inland, will see what it brings in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Graces7 wrote: »
    A tractor just passed with a great trailer load of??? GRIT???

Thought they had none in Donegal?

Almost dark too.

I did complain this morning....

Not risking it though; not until I need to and that is a wee while off yet now that they are posting the meds.

Donegal was on the RTE news at 6 and 9 o'clock yesterday. They have loads of grit up there! they are even giving it away for free to anybody that needs it. You have to collect it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Aproaching 0c now here in the snow fields of mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Doubt it will stay clear in DL for long. It was clear here in D3 now suddenly it's a freezing fog outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Francis Wilson has just said sunday looks pretty bad because of siberian winds bringing in an awful day for sunday,heavy precip of snow

I missed it. Was he showing charts similar to the latest GFS output?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Owen; please make sense of this with some punctuation and capitals? Thank you:D

owenc wrote: »
    was up on benevenagh at the very top today at a

round 380m and there was 2foot of snow there and 4-5 feet drifts were there were drifts the lake was frozen the whole way through (tried to brake it at edge and never brook!) so we walked accross it in 2 foot of snow and it never broke we even jumped to brake it to see if it was just a skitter of ice but no! mountain road now closed....... temp is -2.1c here no thaw at all every single piece of water is frozen expecting double mins tonight as cloud wil not come in!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well the was a senior GARDA on RTE news last night saying it was "most definitely not safe" and thats official enough for me.

People should get a grip , we live in Ireland not Alaska.

We have had a few weeks of cold weather and people think its ok to got out onto frozen lakes.(not talking about the 6inch deep one:D)

It wont be long before we are hearing about a death :(

On a different topic SKY news are completely ramping up a snow event for Sunday , its had trying not to believe the hype , but I will wait until closer to the event to get to excited .

do not tell me that you are talking about me as this lake is large but it is frozen i mean frozne the whole way through nearly you can clearly see that! its not skimpy 1 inche ice its 20 inches ice as its been freezing for days here up there so it can freeze that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Heavy fog in Carlow dropped down really dense, seems to have lifted now.
    Seemingly it was -11 here last night. I've no way of checking the temperature but I am on sofa with hat and scarf on, so I guess it's cold! :P

TV3 were filming in Carlow town earlier so it might be on the news at 5:30

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

snow ghost wrote: »
    The stalled heavy low cloud to the West of me has started shifting and is moving westwards inland, will see what it brings in the next few hours.

Here in Limerick it is resting just inside the Limerick-Clare border near Coonagh. Almost a straight line, cloud on the Clare(ish) side, clear on the City side. Temperatures 2C but dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Have a good mind to contact Met Eireann and let them have a piece of my mind about the forecast for the West today, going by what they said last night I did not think I could move today with this so called "Polar Low" , I was supposed to travel to Mayo today but cancelled it today in the West today has been beautiful with clear blue sky.

I am rapidly loseing confidence in them

the eagle did say at 9:30m pm last night, the forecasters say it will miss us but he cautioned there was possibility that it might affect us. in other words his experience told him it was unlikely to happen but given you can get caught out with snow he was covering his bases. i am critical of met eireann but snow is notoriously hard to predict and for much of this cold period they've done quite well.

that said overall i still find the bbc more accurate for an overall view of how things will pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

16:30 Fine Gael has called for the Defence Forces to be deployed immediately to deal with the ice and snow on the country's roads.
    16:23 Dublin City Council has confirmed that they have sourced 200 tonnes of salt to treat icy roads. 120 tonnes is expected to arrive tomorrow from Cork with the remainder on Saturday.

is 200 tonnes enough for Dublin??

At least the army lads might actually have something to do here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Rougies wrote: »
    Donegal was on the RTE news at 6 and 9 o'clock yesterday. They have loads of grit up there! they are even giving it away for free to anybody that needs it. You have to collect it though.

Noticed on the news last night that the jeep with a trailer getting a fill was an english reg.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

owenc wrote: »
    its not skimpy 1 inche ice its 20 inches ice as its been freezing for days here up there so it can freeze that!

Thought you were in Co. Derry, not the Arctic Ocean? ;)

Hope you checked with your ice auger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ah well. There goes another day at work spent on here waiting for snow that never came. Time to go home to the fire:(

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Quote:
    16:30 Fine Gael has called for the Defence Forces to be deployed immediately to deal with the ice and snow on the country's roads.
    16:23 Dublin City Council has confirmed that they have sourced 200 tonnes of salt to treat icy roads. 120 tonnes is expected to arrive tomorrow from Cork with the remainder on Saturday.
    is 200 tonnes enough for Dublin??

At least the army lads might actually have something to do here now!

There's supposed to be a significant amount of salt arriving in Limerick Port tomorrow from the UK. (Can't remember my source but it was one of the news websites earlier today).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

GavinH wrote: »
    Noticed on the news last night that the jeep with a trailer getting a fill was an english reg.

Yeah lol, noticed that too! A lot of people living in Donegal register their cars in Northern Ireland though. Cheaper tax I think, not sure why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement