Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Don't think so, unless Wicklow stole it!*

*scrambles for maps*

Wickla is the sneachta capital of Ireland - FACT!
    If there is a lot of snow there, it follows that it must be in Wickla.
    QED.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

- 5 now in West Dublin (Castleknock) with all of that fog. Apparently is is now 4 degrees in Galway and 5 in Kerry....that will bring rain lower down unfortunately...a bit of snow on mountains though.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

snaps wrote: »
    snow not mentioned at all for sunday on tv3

it was mentioned on the fm104 phone show last night that there was no warning given on tv3 for yesterdays event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

if i'm not mistaken he is right beside the sea, so it's more likely he'd see sleet.

A light onshore breeze has been blowing all afternoon in Southwest Mayo despite a forecasted light easterly on this normally infallible site http://windguru.cz

The temp in the car reads 3', but it feels warmer than this, more like 6 or 7. So I doubt it will snow just here.

http://irishmarinelife.com

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah but did he say happy birthday to anyone? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Supercell wrote: »
    Wickla is the sneachta capital of Ireland - FACT!
    If there is a lot of snow there, it follows that it must be in Wickla.
    QED.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. Facts schmacts!" ... Homer Simpson

In fact here is a gratuitous picture pf the sun setting on some Wickla sneachta this evening just so ye Dubs can be reminded what real sneacta looks like.

101384.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Whta would you expect from that dope bag of a presenter Martin King...he is not a meteorologist just somebody with ants in his pants and cannot stand still!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just bear in mind the mast is not at the summit - the summit is on the Dublin/Wicklow border.

Since Wicklow has loads of mountains, lets just agree it's a Dublin Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Hirlam was spot on again today regarding the event in the West. For the majority, not much precipitation penetrated inland at all & that is what Hirlam suggested all along. Within T+24, I would really stick by this model, it's very accurate with regard to precipitation distribution.

Also worth mentioning that the 6.00PM broadcast said that hail & snow would spread in over much of the country later in the weekend in biting Easterly winds.

SA :)

• Advertisement

In fact here is a gratuitous picture pf the sun setting on some Wickla sneachta this evening just so ye Dubs can be reminded what real sneacta looks like.

101384.jpg
    Lovely but not as much snow as West Dublin....too bare in places:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lads ...have a look at the SAT sequence

http://www.sat24.com/gb

some of the cloud bank that's been passing soutwards over the west coast all day is getting sucked up back north again !

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

ffarrell wrote: »
    - 5 now in West Dublin (Castleknock) with all of that fog. Apparently is is now 4 degrees in Galway and 5 in Kerry....that will bring rain lower down unfortunately...a bit of snow on mountains though.:D:D:D

NRA stations show Loughrea at -0.7C and Tuam at 0.5C at 5pm. Lower than 4degrees but anyway, no sign of any precip in the city yet, few clouds around but nothing too promising. Definitely freezing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

attachment.php?attachmentid=101384&stc=1&d=1262887286

nah im nearly sick of it now. Have seen it every day at home [dublin 15] since new years day. Got too much of it out my way yesterday and chaos out in blanchardstown.

Not to mention the amount of times ive fallen ! Interesting though, leaving the house this morning the snow didnt freeze over there was a big enough layer of it on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

A light onshore breeze has been blowing all afternoon in Southwest Mayo despite a forecasted light easterly on this normally infallible site http://windguru.cz

The temp in the car reads 3', but it feels warmer than this, more like 6 or 7. So I doubt it will snow just here.

http://irishmarinelife.com

Dont trust windguru 100% , I have used it for over 5 years sometimes its spot on and others its waaaaay off.

You can keep them temps to yourself :)

BTW roads from Navan to Dublin are mot too bad, some ice on patches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The Tv3 weather was very lame there alrite , not a mention of snow at all

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Another damn non-event. The excitement of snow kept me going during work today. Looks like another cold boring night in store

Thanks Taxman.
    Next they'll want Lug :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it seems met eireann may becoming on board, to some extent, as the outlook for monday, on the radio forecast, was promising. still i'm not getting carried away after all the near misses so far.

Hey supercell all of theis snow and ice and drifting is preventing me from going to the fly fishing fishery in Annamoe - Brian Lally's lovely place. Any chance of you removing the foot or two of snow and breaking the arctic proportion ice on the lake?? It was the same last winter--iced over for most of January, February and some of March. Those in the West do not realise what cold winters we have her ein the East.:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Any chance of snow in south cork tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

looking at the east coast on this chart think it might hit the east coast over night if the wind changes to east

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

Lovely but not as much snow as West Dublin....too bare in places:D:D:D:D

Now you gone done it!
    Enough coverage?

101385.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks Taxman.
    Next they'll want Lug :p

I'll say it again. The mast is not at the summit - the summit is on the Dublin/Wicklow border.

Sometimes.....you Wickla boys! If you've ever watch Dave (the TV channel), you know the guy with the big head bobbing up and down.....that's what comes to mind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Any one see the sattelite view of uk today on bbc news.. Not a spec of green on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Current indications suggest mixing issues, in other words, the idea of precip moving in on gusty E to SE winds seems "on" but type of precip??? Could be dealing with snowfall above a certain elevation so that it would be rain or drizzle at sea level, sleet above that and snow above that. Might work out for some but not all to see snowfall. Temps during event could be around +4 at sea level, this is the main concern I have on the current maps.

There is time for this to change, in technical terms what we are looking for is a lower thickness value during the proposed snowfall event, today's values rise from about 525 to 530 dm during the event and it would be better to see them closer to 520 dm.

Hey supercell all of theis snow and ice and drifting is preventing me from going to the fly fishing fishery in Annamoe - Brian Lally's lovely place. Any chance of you removing the foot or two of snow and breaking the arctic proportion ice on the lake?? It was the same last winter--iced over for most of January, February and some of March. Those in the West do not realise what cold winters we have her ein the East.:D:D:D:D

Was totally iced over this morning and the frost tonight is just going to make that thicker. Weird lines and shapes on the ice.
    Should be good for quad bikes soon I expect which seems to be all the rage with the scobies these days.

Maybe in 2020....just joking:D..my neighbour is from Cork city and has been living beside me in Dublin for the past 3 years and loves the amount of snow we get here especially in West Dublin. He is moving to Canberra in February but says he will miss the snow. He says it rarely snow in Cork City and even less in West Cork but he is starting to get his fill of it now!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Go on Gerry , did you see them Charts wooooooo,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Knock me over with a feather.

Gerry Murphy just said "Significant risk of snow on the East coast Sunday/Monday."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement