Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Just a quick question. Where is this snow that may hit Dublin/East/Southeast from 6pm come from? I don't see anything that could possibly be headed our way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I've just logged on having been off since 2.30.
    I'm in south kilkenny - north kilkenny, kilkenny city, laois, carlow, and east kilkenny ( I didn't know there WAS an east part to kilkenny!!!) all got snow and it just missed me!!!
    It rained lightly, froze and now ther's an ice rink outside my front door. and NO snow.

I'm extermely jealous!!!

What happened to that snowthat was coming down through wicklow, kildare and offaly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

congratulations paddy1:D

Thanks Nachs. I think it is the same shower you are getting, getting seriously heavy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I want Dublin to get more snow. :(

Congrats to the West!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Wolf, the snow is getting heavier here at the moment,. The shower rolled down from Mayo like a black cloak falling from the sky. I hope it makes its way down to you in tact! :)
    thanks deep. was just gonna post asking you how heavy it was. All i got at the moment is high cloud approaching from the north. It looks to be coming directly at me in a S or SSW flow. Keep us posted on how things are in Choooom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Wolf, the snow is getting heavier here at the moment,. The shower rolled down from Mayo like a black cloak falling from the sky. I hope it makes its way down to you in tact! :)

I take it back... this is looking GOOD for Galway City now.. for once?

Edit: first flakes are here!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've just logged on having been off since 2.30.
    I'm in south kilkenny - north kilkenny, kilkenny city, laois, carlow, and east kilkenny ( I didn't know there WAS an east part to kilkenny!!!) all got snow and it just missed me!!!
    It rained lightly, froze and now ther's an ice rink outside my front door. and NO snow.

I'm extermely jealous!!!

What happened to that snowthat was coming down through wicklow, kildare and offaly???

Weakened and died off as it moved further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

havy snow now in roscommon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Near whiteout at Knock airport, visibility 250 moters in snow, broken clouds clouds at 200ft

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gale warning issued by Met E:

North to northeast winds will reach gale force at times tonight on Irish coastal waters from Belfast Lough to Carnsore Point to Mizen Head and on the Irish Sea
    Issued at 12:00 on 05-Jan-2010

Hope the wind direction is more that later! :)

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    thanks deep. was just gonna post asking you how heavy it was. All i got at the moment is high cloud approaching from the north. It looks to be coming directly at me in a S or SSW flow. Keep us posted on how things are in Choooom

No probs Wolf. The shower came in very quick. I was watching an anvil head to the far north while walking around town but did not think much. By the time I got back home the shower was beginning to hit. I am still shocked at how rapidly it moved in. :)

Visibility is now very much reduced. A sure sign the snow is intensifying :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

extremely heavy snowfall here!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

so the snow has slapped me hard in the face for my turning my back on it and being so negative. if this is what happens when i throw a rant i think i'll do it more often:pac:
    It worked for BB before as well

image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001051245&sat=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Turned very heavy here now for the last 15mins or so, proper big flakes everything is white

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks Nachs. I think it is the same shower you are getting, getting seriously heavy now!

yep i instructed it to go down to you without breaking up. let's hope it makes it as far south as possible without dying so others get it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Su Campu wrote: »
    Near whiteout at Knock airport, visibility 250 moters in snow, broken clouds clouds at 200ft

Met Eireann were absolutely bang on with their forecast of snow mainly being in the NW.

Will be interesting to see what comes in from the Irish Sea tonight. Precip does look confined to costal counties though, I cannot see showers getting far beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

yep i instructed it to go down to you without breaking up. as let's hope it makes it as far south as possible without dying so other get it too.

Good man. Save some for us too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Still bright and sunny in D3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

there is nearly an inch of snow lieing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

anyone no what the roads are like to longford did it get any snow have to drive there tonite from wexford...no snow down here today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Proper heavy snow for last 20 mins, at least 1 cm now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

If you looked at the sky out the window here in Rathmines you would think it was the middle of summer - Clear blue sunny skies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Certainly going to slip by here anyway.

We're getting darker here. Huge dark cloud just off the coast.

Total white out conditions here now. This is the real thing! :D Everything turning white with very dark sky and very much reduced viability. Absolutely magnificent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If you looked at the sky out the window here in Rathmines you would think it was the middle of summer - Clear blue sunny skies

same in kilkenny, the frost on the grass has thawed in the sun

Precip going to hit Galway City within a half hour. I hope it's the white stuff for you.
    http://www.sat24.com/image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001051300&sat=

Total white out conditions here now. This is the real thing! :D Everything turning white with very dark sky and very much reduced viability. Absolutely magnificent!
    pics Deep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The precipitation seems to be dying out just as it approaches the east coast (that last shower for Dublin is an example)

With a northwest wind at Dublin airport and a temperature of -2°C, I would imagine this cold air is killing off the warm inflow a few miles offshore. We'll need those stronger northeasterly winds later for things to change

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looks from the radar like some showers may hit Dublin soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Pangea wrote: »
    We are too busy enjoying the snow , we forgot to look at the radars :pac::pac:
    Sweet!!

Just left college to get the 1pm bus to Donegal, Cancelled Grrrr!
    No how am I going to get home to enjoy this nice snow!!

just going to have to wait to see can be get home at 3..
    Bus Eireann you b*****ds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement